IndiaDivine.org

men have higher IQ's

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hah!

-anouk

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/4183166.stm

Men cleverer than women' claim

Who will get a first? Academics in the UK claim their research shows that men are more intelligent than women.

A study to be published later this year in the British Journal of Psychology says that men are on average five points ahead on IQ tests.

Paul Irwing and Professor Richard Lynn claim the difference grows when the highest IQ levels are considered.

Their research was based on IQ tests given to 80,000 people and a further study of 20,000 students.

'Widening gap'

Dr Irwing, a senior lecturer in organisational psychology at Manchester University, told the Today programme on BBC Radio Four the study showed that, up to the age of 14, there was no difference between the IQs of boys and girls.

"But beyond that age and into adulthood there is a difference of five points, which is small but it can have important implications," he said.

"This is against a background of women dramatically overtaking men in educational attainment and making very rapid advances in terms of occupational achievement."

The academics used a test which is said to measure "general cognitive ability" - spatial and verbal ability.

As intelligence scores among the study group rose, the academics say they found a widening gap between the sexes.

There were twice as many men with IQ scores of 125, for example, a level said to correspond with people getting first-class degrees.

At scores of 155, associated with genius, there were 5.5 men for every woman.

Nobel prize-winners

Dr Irwing told The Times the differences "may go some way to explaining the greater numbers of men achieving distinctions of various kinds, such as chess grandmasters, Fields medallists for mathematics, Nobel prize-winners and the like".

The paper will argue that there is evidence that at the same level of IQ, women are able to achieve more than men "possibly because they are more conscientious and better adapted to sustained periods of hard work".

Earlier this year, the president of Harvard University, Lawrence Summers, sparked controversy when he suggested at a seminar that one reason men outperformed women in maths and science was genetics.

Several guests walked out of the conference after hearing the comments.

Dr Summers, who has apologised repeatedly for his remarks, said later that the shortage of senior female academics was partly caused by child-minding duties, which restricted working hours.

Never mind - these reports always even out. Girls do much better at school than boys. What annoys me is that we have our tax money spent on stupid research that achieves absolutely nothing.

Jo

Hah!

-anouk

Who will get a first? Academics in the UK claim their research shows that men are more intelligent than women.

A study to be published later this year in the British Journal of Psychology says that men are on average five points ahead on IQ tests.

Paul Irwing and Professor Richard Lynn claim the difference grows when the highest IQ levels are considered.

Their research was based on IQ tests given to 80,000 people and a further study of 20,000 students.

'Widening gap'

Dr Irwing, a senior lecturer in organisational psychology at Manchester University, told the Today programme on BBC Radio Four the study showed that, up to the age of 14, there was no difference between the IQs of boys and girls.

"But beyond that age and into adulthood there is a difference of five points, which is small but it can have important implications," he said.

"This is against a background of women dramatically overtaking men in educational attainment and making very rapid advances in terms of occupational achievement."

The academics used a test which is said to measure "general cognitive ability" - spatial and verbal ability.

As intelligence scores among the study group rose, the academics say they found a widening gap between the sexes.

There were twice as many men with IQ scores of 125, for example, a level said to correspond with people getting first-class degrees.

Nobel prize-winners

Dr Irwing told The Times the differences "may go some way to explaining the greater numbers of men achieving distinctions of various kinds, such as chess grandmasters, Fields medallists for mathematics, Nobel prize-winners and the like".

The paper will argue that there is evidence that at the same level of IQ, women are able to achieve more than men "possibly because they are more conscientious and better adapted to sustained periods of hard work".

Earlier this year, the president of Harvard University, Lawrence Summers, sparked controversy when he suggested at a seminar that one reason men outperformed women in maths and science was genetics.

Dr Summers, who has apologised repeatedly for his remarks, said later that the shortage of senior female academics was partly caused by child-minding duties, which restricted working hours.

Hi Anouk

> men have higher IQ's

There is one very good reason for this... the IQ test was invented by men... since there are differences in the way that men and women view the world (and let's not get into the argument of whether that's "nature" or "society"), it would be logical that men would do better in a test devised by men. I remember reading somewhere that the original concept of the IQ test was to show that foreigners weren't as intelligent as Americans and English people!!!

BB

Peter

Yeah, that's why they'll spend their life's savings on gasoline before they'll stop and ask directions!

Lynda

-

zurumato

veganchat

Monday, August 29, 2005 9:49 AM

men have higher IQ's

Hah!

-anouk

'Widening gap'

Nobel prize-winners

My theory on tests is that tests only prove you are good at taking tests!

I happen to be good at taking tests. They don't bother me.

When I worked at the Health Occ department of a college, I ran the sample scantrons to be sure that machine was working properly. To do this someone takes the test and they then run the scantron slip through the machine. I took all the RN tests and scored As and Bs. I have never taken any classes, nor am I a nurse of any size, shape or description.

On the other hand, I know a nurse who barely made it through school and barely passed the state licensing exam. She is the BEST nurse in the world, bar none and she is who you want taking care of you. She has caught more pharmacy errors and doctor errors and has saved the lives of numerous patients. She doesn't do tests well. She has a wealth of knowledge but simply cannot do tests!

Lynda

-

Peter

Monday, August 29, 2005 3:43 PM

Re: men have higher IQ's

Hi Anouk

> men have higher IQ's

There is one very good reason for this... the IQ test was invented by men... since there are differences in the way that men and women view the world (and let's not get into the argument of whether that's "nature" or "society"), it would be logical that men would do better in a test devised by men. I remember reading somewhere that the original concept of the IQ test was to show that foreigners weren't as intelligent as Americans and English people!!!

BB

Peter

This morning on the news, they mentioned test results on math scores. The boys were much higher than the girls. My husband was wondering aloud why that might be and I told him I knew, that girls are heavily discouraged at excelling at things that are considered 'boys' domain. I told him that I had to work hard for my daughter to continue to do so well at math, given that, whereas, my son wasn't discouraged at math and he was working several grade levels above his grade when we were homeschooling.

Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Never mind - these reports always even out. Girls do much better at school than boys. What annoys me is that we have our tax money spent on stupid research that achieves absolutely nothing.

JoJonnie

Start your day with - make it your home page

BINGO! Math and science teachers routinely shoo girls away and send them into secretarial or home ec fields!

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Tuesday, August 30, 2005 12:13 PM

Re: men have higher IQ's

This morning on the news, they mentioned test results on math scores. The boys were much higher than the girls. My husband was wondering aloud why that might be and I told him I knew, that girls are heavily discouraged at excelling at things that are considered 'boys' domain. I told him that I had to work hard for my daughter to continue to do so well at math, given that, whereas, my son wasn't discouraged at math and he was working several grade levels above his grade when we were homeschooling.

Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

JoJonnie

Start your day with - make it your home page

Hi Peter

I find that funny as it was " foreigners " that built the America we

have today!

BB

Nikki :)

, " Peter " <metalscarab@c...> wrote:

> Hi Anouk

>

> > men have higher IQ's

>

> There is one very good reason for this... the IQ test was invented

by men... since there are differences in the way that men and women

view the world (and let's not get into the argument of whether

that's " nature " or " society " ), it would be logical that men would do

better in a test devised by men. I remember reading somewhere that the

original concept of the IQ test was to show that foreigners weren't as

intelligent as Americans and English people!!!

>

> BB

> Peter

Hi Nikki

That's one of the reasons I can never understand racism.

BB

Jo

> Hi Peter

>

> I find that funny as it was " foreigners " that built the America we

> have today!

>

> BB

> Nikki :)

>

> , " Peter " <metalscarab@c...> wrote:

> > Hi Anouk

> >

> > > men have higher IQ's

> >

> > There is one very good reason for this... the IQ test was invented

> by men... since there are differences in the way that men and women

> view the world (and let's not get into the argument of whether

> that's " nature " or " society " ), it would be logical that men would do

> better in a test devised by men. I remember reading somewhere that the

> original concept of the IQ test was to show that foreigners weren't as

> intelligent as Americans and English people!!!

> >

> > BB

> > Peter

To send an email to -

>

Hi Jo

I agree with you. It's amazing isn't it?!

BB

Nikki

, " Jo Cwazy " <heartwork@c...> wrote:

> Hi Nikki

>

> That's one of the reasons I can never understand racism.

>

> BB

> Jo

>