IndiaDivine.org

HAPLESS TOAD

Rate this topic

Guest guest

U.S. Sued Over Toad at Center of Roberts' Case

August 31, 2005 — By Dan Whitcomb, Reuters

LOS ANGELES — An environmental group and a Christian prayer network have

joined forces to sue the Bush administration over the fate of an endangered toad

-- the same " hapless " amphibian at the center of a legal opinion by U.S. Supreme

Court nominee John Roberts.

The Center for Biological Diversity and Christians Caring for Creation claim in

their federal lawsuit that the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has failed to

protect the California habitat of the endangered arroyo toad.

Roberts issued an opinion in a separate case involving the arroyo toad in 2003,

while sitting as a judge in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit, an

opinion that has been criticized by liberal groups as evidence of his " radical "

views on states rights and environmental laws.

In that case an appeals court found the federal government could use the

Endangered Species Act to stop a developer from building on land that had been

designated part of the arroyo toad's habitat.

Roberts disagreed, questioning whether " a hapless toad that, for reasons of its

own, lives its entire life in California, " could be subject to federal laws. He

suggested that it should be up to California legislators to protect the toad.

The current lawsuit, filed last week in Riverside, California, claims that in

cutting the number of acres set aside for the toad from 478,000 to 12,000 in

April, the Fish and Wildlife Service has threatened to drive the toad into

extinction.

A spokeswoman for the U.S. Department of the Interior, which oversees the the

Fish and Wildlife Service, could not be reached for comment.

" It's an unfortunate commentary on the willingness of this administration to

undermine the Endangered Species Act, " said David Hogan, a spokesman for the

Center for Biological Diversity. " Despite its small size this toad needs a lot

of land to complete its life cycle. "

Hogan said the center has been working since 1999 to save the arroyo toad and

called it a coincidence that the amphibian has also surfaced in the debate over

Roberts' nomination -- but added the group was happy to take advantage of that

to gain publicity for their issue.

They have named their Web site devoted to the issue Hapless Toad

(www.haplesstoad.com) -- a reference to an aside by the justice in his

dissenting opinion on the 2003 case.

The liberal People From the American Way, which has opposed Roberts' nomination,

has said his " radical " view on the toad case could extend far beyond

environmental laws to areas of federal authority including Medicare and Social

Security.

a blinding flash

hotter than the sun

dead bodies lie across the path

the radiation colors the air

finishing one by one

I will take this opportunity to BRAG about the thousands of tadpoles in my pond.

I am so very proud of them. I have nothing to do with this, except that for that I just put a small pond in my backyard, rain water fills it.

The chorus sometimes is orchestral. Their beautiful music is so conforting and ancient. It is a music I have never heard before, every night sounds slight different.

My little boys Anders and Ansel,

feed them lettuce. I never thought my pond would be so succesful. It is rather small but also dragon flies lay their eggs, and so

I have an abundance of them as well.

It is just wonderful how everyday, baby frogs (diferrent coloured ones) leap out of the water and into dry life existence.

-anouk

-

fraggle

;lettuceheads ;TFHB

8/31/2005 1:20:32 PM

HAPLESS TOAD

U.S. Sued Over Toad at Center of Roberts' CaseAugust 31, 2005 — By Dan Whitcomb, Reuters LOS ANGELES — An environmental group and a Christian prayer network have joined forces to sue the Bush administration over the fate of an endangered toad -- the same "hapless" amphibian at the center of a legal opinion by U.S. Supreme Court nominee John Roberts. The Center for Biological Diversity and Christians Caring for Creation claim in their federal lawsuit that the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has failed to protect the California habitat of the endangered arroyo toad. Roberts issued an opinion in a separate case involving the arroyo toad in 2003, while sitting as a judge in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit, an opinion that has been criticized by liberal groups as evidence of his "radical" views on states rights and environmental laws. In that case an appeals court found the federal government could use the Endangered Species Act to stop a developer from building on land that had been designated part of the arroyo toad's habitat. Roberts disagreed, questioning whether "a hapless toad that, for reasons of its own, lives its entire life in California," could be subject to federal laws. He suggested that it should be up to California legislators to protect the toad. The current lawsuit, filed last week in Riverside, California, claims that in cutting the number of acres set aside for the toad from 478,000 to 12,000 in April, the Fish and Wildlife Service has threatened to drive the toad into extinction. A spokeswoman for the U.S. Department of the Interior, which oversees the the Fish and Wildlife Service, could not be reached for comment. "It's an unfortunate commentary on the willingness of this administration to undermine the Endangered Species Act," said David Hogan, a spokesman for the Center for Biological Diversity. "Despite its small size this toad needs a lot of land to complete its life cycle." Hogan said the center has been working since 1999 to save the arroyo toad and called it a coincidence that the amphibian has also surfaced in the debate over Roberts' nomination -- but added the group was happy to take advantage of that to gain publicity for their issue. They have named their Web site devoted to the issue Hapless Toad (www.haplesstoad.com) -- a reference to an aside by the justice in his dissenting opinion on the 2003 case. The liberal People From the American Way, which has opposed Roberts' nomination, has said his "radical" view on the toad case could extend far beyond environmental laws to areas of federal authority including Medicare and Social Security. a blinding flash hotter than the sun dead bodies lie across the path the radiation colors the airfinishing one by one

I expect the dragonfly larvae will enjoy the tadpoles! sorry, you are blessed to have such a microcosm of life, I am jealous.

The Valley Vegan..........."zurumato" <zurumato wrote:

I will take this opportunity to BRAG about the thousands of tadpoles in my pond.

I am so very proud of them. I have nothing to do with this, except that for that I just put a small pond in my backyard, rain water fills it.

The chorus sometimes is orchestral. Their beautiful music is so conforting and ancient. It is a music I have never heard before, every night sounds slight different.

feed them lettuce. I never thought my pond would be so succesful. It is rather small but also dragon flies lay their eggs, and so

It is just wonderful how everyday, baby frogs (diferrent coloured ones) leap out of the water and into dry life existence.

-anouk

-

fraggle

;lettuceheads ;TFHB

HAPLESS TOAD

U.S. Sued Over Toad at Center of Roberts' CaseAugust 31, 2005 — By Dan Whitcomb, Reuters LOS ANGELES — An environmental group and a Christian prayer network have joined forces to sue the Bush administration over the fate of an endangered toad -- the same "hapless" amphibian at the center of a legal opinion by U.S. Supreme Court nominee John Roberts. The Center for Biological Diversity and Christians Caring for Creation claim in their federal lawsuit that the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has failed to protect the California habitat of the endangered arroyo toad. Roberts issued an opinion in a separate case involving the arroyo toad in 2003, while sitting as a judge in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit, an opinion that has been criticized by liberal groups as evidence of his "radical" views on states rights and environmental laws. In that case an appeals court found the federal government could use

the Endangered Species Act to stop a developer from building on land that had been designated part of the arroyo toad's habitat. Roberts disagreed, questioning whether "a hapless toad that, for reasons of its own, lives its entire life in California," could be subject to federal laws. He suggested that it should be up to California legislators to protect the toad. The current lawsuit, filed last week in Riverside, California, claims that in cutting the number of acres set aside for the toad from 478,000 to 12,000 in April, the Fish and Wildlife Service has threatened to drive the toad into extinction. A spokeswoman for the U.S. Department of the Interior, which oversees the the Fish and Wildlife Service, could not be reached for comment. "It's an unfortunate commentary on the willingness of this administration to undermine the Endangered Species Act," said David Hogan, a spokesman for the Center for Biological Diversity. "Despite its small size this

toad needs a lot of land to complete its life cycle." Hogan said the center has been working since 1999 to save the arroyo toad and called it a coincidence that the amphibian has also surfaced in the debate over Roberts' nomination -- but added the group was happy to take advantage of that to gain publicity for their issue. They have named their Web site devoted to the issue Hapless Toad (www.haplesstoad.com) -- a reference to an aside by the justice in his dissenting opinion on the 2003 case. The liberal People From the American Way, which has opposed Roberts' nomination, has said his "radical" view on the toad case could extend far beyond environmental laws to areas of federal authority including Medicare and Social Security. a blinding flash hotter than the sun dead bodies lie across the path the radiation colors the airfinishing one by onePeter H

How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Photos. Get Photos

thats really great

i wish i had a pond....

alas..too small of a yard

not to mention it'd be denuded of everything in about 3 hrs on the first nite by the neighborhood raccoons

as an aside...i've known of ppl who bring out the exterminators because they hate the sounds of the frogs in the rainy season....

people pretty much as hideous

fraggle "zurumato" Aug 31, 2005 11:03 AM RE: HAPLESS TOAD

-anouk

a blinding flash hotter than the sun dead bodies lie across the path the radiation colors the air

finishing one by one

yes it is shocking to me that dragonfly babies favourite food is tadpoles. I have read this in a book also.

but it is not for me to do anything about it. they have chosen this as their home. more eggs will be laid. : )

-

peter hurd

8/31/2005 3:04:07 PM

RE: HAPLESS TOAD

I expect the dragonfly larvae will enjoy the tadpoles! sorry, you are blessed to have such a microcosm of life, I am jealous.

-anouk

-

fraggle

;lettuceheads ;TFHB

HAPLESS TOAD

U.S. Sued Over Toad at Center of Roberts' CaseAugust 31, 2005 — By Dan Whitcomb, Reuters LOS ANGELES — An environmental group and a Christian prayer network have joined forces to sue the Bush administration over the fate of an endangered toad -- the same "hapless" amphibian at the center of a legal opinion by U.S. Supreme Court nominee John Roberts. The Center for Biological Diversity and Christians Caring for Creation claim in their federal lawsuit that the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has failed to protect the California habitat of the endangered arroyo toad. Roberts issued an opinion in a separate case involving the arroyo toad in 2003, while sitting as a judge in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit, an opinion that has been criticized by liberal groups as evidence of his "radical" views on states rights and environmental laws. In that case an appeals court found the federal government could use the Endangered Species Act to stop a developer from building on land that had been designated part of the arroyo toad's habitat. Roberts disagreed, questioning whether "a hapless toad that, for reasons of its own, lives its entire life in California," could be subject to federal laws. He suggested that it should be up to California legislators to protect the toad. The current lawsuit, filed last week in Riverside, California, claims that in cutting the number of acres set aside for the toad from 478,000 to 12,000 in April, the Fish and Wildlife Service has threatened to drive the toad into extinction. A spokeswoman for the U.S. Department of the Interior, which oversees the the Fish and Wildlife Service, could not be reached for comment. "It's an unfortunate commentary on the willingness of this administration to undermine the Endangered Species Act," said David Hogan, a spokesman for the Center for Biological Diversity. "Despite its small size this toad needs a lot of land to complete its life cycle." Hogan said the center has been working since 1999 to save the arroyo toad and called it a coincidence that the amphibian has also surfaced in the debate over Roberts' nomination -- but added the group was happy to take advantage of that to gain publicity for their issue. They have named their Web site devoted to the issue Hapless Toad (www.haplesstoad.com) -- a reference to an aside by the justice in his dissenting opinion on the 2003 case. The liberal People From the American Way, which has opposed Roberts' nomination, has said his "radical" view on the toad case could extend far beyond environmental laws to areas of federal authority including Medicare and Social Security. a blinding flash hotter than the sun dead bodies lie across the path the radiation colors the airfinishing one by one

Peter H

How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Photos. Get Photos

And you can be assured that there will be more tadpoles than dragonfly larvae anyway, best to leave it to nature, and try and leave the pond evolve on its own.

The Valley Vegan........"zurumato" <zurumato wrote:

yes it is shocking to me that dragonfly babies favourite food is tadpoles. I have read this in a book also.

but it is not for me to do anything about it. they have chosen this as their home. more eggs will be laid. : )

-

peter hurd

8/31/2005 3:04:07 PM

-anouk

-

fraggle

;lettuceheads ;TFHB

HAPLESS TOAD

U.S. Sued Over Toad at Center of Roberts' CaseAugust 31, 2005 — By Dan Whitcomb, Reuters LOS ANGELES — An environmental group and a Christian prayer network have joined forces to sue the Bush administration over the fate of an endangered toad -- the same "hapless" amphibian at the center of a legal opinion by U.S. Supreme Court nominee John Roberts. The Center for Biological Diversity and Christians Caring for Creation claim in their federal lawsuit that the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has failed to protect the California habitat of the endangered arroyo toad. Roberts issued an opinion in a separate case involving the arroyo toad in 2003, while sitting as a judge in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit, an opinion that has been criticized by liberal groups as evidence of his "radical" views on states rights and environmental laws. In that case an appeals court found the federal government could use

the Endangered Species Act to stop a developer from building on land that had been designated part of the arroyo toad's habitat. Roberts disagreed, questioning whether "a hapless toad that, for reasons of its own, lives its entire life in California," could be subject to federal laws. He suggested that it should be up to California legislators to protect the toad. The current lawsuit, filed last week in Riverside, California, claims that in cutting the number of acres set aside for the toad from 478,000 to 12,000 in April, the Fish and Wildlife Service has threatened to drive the toad into extinction. A spokeswoman for the U.S. Department of the Interior, which oversees the the Fish and Wildlife Service, could not be reached for comment. "It's an unfortunate commentary on the willingness of this administration to undermine the Endangered Species Act," said David Hogan, a spokesman for the Center for Biological Diversity. "Despite its small size this

toad needs a lot of land to complete its life cycle." Hogan said the center has been working since 1999 to save the arroyo toad and called it a coincidence that the amphibian has also surfaced in the debate over Roberts' nomination -- but added the group was happy to take advantage of that to gain publicity for their issue. They have named their Web site devoted to the issue Hapless Toad (www.haplesstoad.com) -- a reference to an aside by the justice in his dissenting opinion on the 2003 case. The liberal People From the American Way, which has opposed Roberts' nomination, has said his "radical" view on the toad case could extend far beyond environmental laws to areas of federal authority including Medicare and Social Security. a blinding flash hotter than the sun dead bodies lie across the path the radiation colors the airfinishing one by one

Peter H

How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Photos. Get Photos Peter H

Hi Anouk

Your pond sounds really interesting. I must think about getting one in our garden.

Where I work there is a lake, and in the early summer the bullfrogs have a marvellous early morning chorus.

Jo

-

zurumato

Wednesday, August 31, 2005 7:03 PM

-anouk

-

fraggle

;lettuceheads ;TFHB

HAPLESS TOAD

That's sad.

Jo

as an aside...i've known of ppl who bring out the exterminators because they hate the sounds of the frogs in the rainy season....

fraggle

I made a pond in my backyard on my last place. What a challenge! I had a section that had 6 ft wall on 2 sides and my patio on the 3rd. The ground here is pretty hard, but that was solid concrete. I dug for weeks and finally rented one of those jackhammers. Here I am a tiny 5 ft and that thing almost weighed as much as I do. I couldn't let it dig in too much or it would get stuck, so I would hammer for a while, get about an inch and then move it. I couldn't get below my knee level no matter what I did though. It ended up being about 6 ft x 4 ft by 4 ft deep. Well, I tried. Anyhow, one night during a monsoon storm, I opened the doors to enjoy the rain and wind and this toad came hopping in my front door. He enjoyed the scenery of my house for a while and then hopped out the back door. I had hoped he would stick around, but alas he didn't.fraggle <EBbrewpunx

wrote:

thats really great

i wish i had a pond....

alas..too small of a yard

not to mention it'd be denuded of everything in about 3 hrs on the first nite by the neighborhood raccoons

fraggle "zurumato" Aug 31, 2005 11:03 AM RE: HAPLESS TOAD

-anouk

a blinding flash hotter than the sun dead bodies lie across the path the radiation colors the air

finishing one by one Jonnie

Start your day with - make it your home page

I`m sure that any wildfowl ( herons etc.) would love them!, now if you had some kittens to keep the herons away?......................................................

The Valley Vegan...................garden destroyed by rampant kittens.Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Hi Anouk

Your pond sounds really interesting. I must think about getting one in our garden.

Where I work there is a lake, and in the early summer the bullfrogs have a marvellous early morning chorus.

Jo

-

zurumato

-anouk

-

fraggle

;lettuceheads ;TFHB

HAPLESS TOAD

toad needs a lot of land to complete its life cycle." Hogan said the center has been working since 1999 to save the arroyo toad and called it a coincidence that the amphibian has also surfaced in the debate over Roberts' nomination -- but added the group was happy to take advantage of that to gain publicity for their issue. They have named their Web site devoted to the issue Hapless Toad (www.haplesstoad.com) -- a reference to an aside by the justice in his dissenting opinion on the 2003 case. The liberal People From the American Way, which has opposed Roberts' nomination, has said his "radical" view on the toad case could extend far beyond environmental laws to areas of federal authority including Medicare and Social Security. a blinding flash hotter than the sun dead bodies lie across the path the radiation colors the airfinishing one by onePeter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.

The local herons definitely would! I was looking out of my landing window one morning and saw something silvery moving around in the field that backs on to my garden. On looking through the binoculars I could see it was a fish about a foot long, that the heron had flown into the field, and was about to eat.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Thursday, September 01, 2005 8:10 PM

Re: HAPLESS TOAD

I`m sure that any wildfowl ( herons etc.) would love them!, now if you had some kittens to keep the herons away?......................................................

The Valley Vegan...................garden destroyed by rampant kittens.Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Hi Anouk

Jo

-

zurumato

-anouk

-

fraggle

;lettuceheads ;TFHB

HAPLESS TOAD

Peter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.