Nikki :)

, sandi gordon

<sandisweeti13132001> wrote:

> Hi all I am new to the grp.,my name is sandi I have been a

vegetarian since age 14 a vegan since age 20(I am now 30),I have a

almost two year old and a 6.5mos. old,we are raising them to choose

what they want to do as I did I was raised a meat eater and on my

own at 13 started to make the changes toward a veg. lifestyle.My

hubby is a meat eater,but he and his family respect my eating.

>

I guess I am lucky,it was tough in the beginning though,but if you love someone enough they will accept your lifestyle.earthstrm <nikkimack wrote:

Hi Sandi and WELCOME!You're very lucky, the majority of my hubby's family say I've joined a cult. LOL Every time they see me they ask "Are you still not eating meat?"Ah well, what can ya do!Nikki :) , sandi gordon <sandisweeti13132001> wrote:> Hi all I am new to the grp.,my name is sandi I have been a vegetarian since age 14 a vegan since age 20(I am now 30),I have a almost two year old and a 6.5mos. old,we are raising them to choose what they want to do as I did I was raised a meat eater and on my own at 13 started to make the changes toward a veg. lifestyle.My hubby is a meat eater,but he and his family respect my eating.>

Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

I respect all animals,no one is worth killing over another one,but I am very strongly not wanting my kids to eat pork/shellfish,I wish they not eat any meat,but its up to themJo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

Peter - you are correct :-)

Sandi has decided that her children cannot eat shellfish and pork for one reason, but that they can choose to eat any other animal because she doesn't want to 'make decisions for them' - even though she is making a decision for them as far as pork and shellfish is concerned.

BBJo

-

Peter

Wednesday, September 07, 2005 6:13 PM

Re: Re: Hi! New here. . .

Hi Sandi

Welcome to the group.

I think you slightly missed Jo's point. You said that as far as the vegan thing goes, you would let your children make their own decisions, but, if I've read things correctly, that you wouldn't let them eat pork or shelfish because you are Jewish. I think Jo's point was that it was a shame for the other animals that you felt that strongly about your religion, but not about veganism.

Or perhaps I've misinterpreted the whole thing.

BB

Peter

-

sandi gordon

Wednesday, September 07, 2005 7:45 AM

I am a strict vegan,but I am open to my kids deciding what they want to do.

thats correctJo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

apart from eating shellfish and pork :-)

Jo

-

sandi gordon

Wednesday, September 07, 2005 7:45 AM

I am a strict vegan,but I am open to my kids deciding what they want to do.heartwerk <heartwork wrote: Maybe you could have the same intensity of feeling for veganism as you have for being Jewish.Jo , sandi gordon <sandisweeti13132001> wrote:> I agree w/ you,but like I have told my hubby if the kids have to eat meat then at least let it be a good quality meal(not fast food garbage)spend the extra money for better options.One thing is for sure we will raise the kids to not eat pork or shellfish(me jewish)> > April London <april@f...> wrote:Same with my kids, when they are old enough to make their own decisions > I will let them decide for themselves. Right now, since my husband and > I are both vegan I don't think it's any different than families that >

force their kids to eat meat (not force them too but they don't know > any other way). I think it's just our household decision at this > point. If that makes any sense. But once they are older, they are > more than welcome to do whatever it is they choose. I will not have > meat in my house but if they're out somewhere and want a burger that > will be their decision to make. I'm hoping they will decide to stay > veg but like you said, only time will tell.> > April> > > On Sep 6, 2005, at 4:04 PM, sandi gordon wrote:> > > My oldest will be 2 next month and he has maybe 5bites of chicken,but > > otherwise he doesn't eat meat,he does love dairy though,he was a veg. > > up until age one,we will start dairy on our babe at age one too,I will > > not force them to go my way or daddys way they can decide when they > > are older,sure I

would love for them to veg's,but only time will tell> >> > April London wrote:My sons are 3 and 6 > > (almost 7) and yes they are both vegan as well.> >> Nathan, my youngest, has been since birth and Jacob has been > >> vegetarian> >> since he was about 1.5 and then vegan for the past year like us. LOL> >>> >> I really haven't had that hard of a time getting them to eat veggies.> >> More my 3 year old than the other but they're both pretty good about> >> it. I basically just tell them that this is what I've made for dinner> >> either eat it or starve. LOL But in all honesty there isn't anything> >> they really won't eat.> >>> >> April> >>> >>> >> On Sep 6, 2005, at 9:58 AM, earthstrm wrote:> >>> >> > Hi April and

WELCOME!> >> >> >> > If you don't mind my asking, how old are your boys and have they > >> also> >> > been Vegan/Veggie? I only ask because my son is about to turn 7 and > >> I> >> > have the most difficult time getting him to eat veggies.> >> >> >> > Nikki :)> >> >> >> >> >> > , April London wrote:> >> > > Hi, my name is April and I just joined this group. My husband > >> and I> >> > > have been vegan for about a year now and vegetarian for about 14> >> > years.> >> > >  We have two boys, also vegan, and live in St. Augustine, FL.> >> > >> >> > > I can't wait to get to know all of you better and am very excited

> >> to> >> > be> >> > > a part of this group.> >> > >> >> > > April> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > To send an email to > >> - > >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >

Hi Sandi

> I respect all animals,no one is worth killing over another one,but I am very strongly not wanting my kids to eat

> pork/shellfish,I wish they not eat any meat,but its up to them

'Scuse me for being nosey, and tell me to mind my own business if you like (I won't be offended)... but what would be the consequences of them eating pork or shellfish that make those worse than eating other animals. I understand the business of "kosher", and the religious reasons, but not what the consequences would be of deciding not to accept those religious rules.

I guess what I'm trying to understand is why it is more important to you that your children follow your religion than your ethics.

BB

Peter

I want them to follow my religion and ethics...preferably,when they are older they can do as they want,its called making up their own mind and not making them do something they don't want to do,if they eat pork or shellfish I won't disown them or not love them.Peter <metalscarab wrote:

Hi Sandi

> I respect all animals,no one is worth killing over another one,but I am very strongly not wanting my kids to eat

> pork/shellfish,I wish they not eat any meat,but its up to them

'Scuse me for being nosey, and tell me to mind my own business if you like (I won't be offended)... but what would be the consequences of them eating pork or shellfish that make those worse than eating other animals. I understand the business of "kosher", and the religious reasons, but not what the consequences would be of deciding not to accept those religious rules.

I guess what I'm trying to understand is why it is more important to you that your children follow your religion than your ethics.

BB

Peter

Oh wow, when is your son's birthday? My son will be 7 on the 26th of

this month!

Yeah it is a lot easier for me since Tim (husband) is vegan as well

which does make a world of difference. I can completely understand how

hard it is for you with your husband being a carnivore. I actually

went through the same thing with my first marriage. It's great that he

supports you though. I can just imagine how hard it is to get Zak to

your " side " . LOL You do what you can though. Everyone has to make the

choices to do what they feel is right for their family and no matter

what that comes first. One person being vegan is better than none.

And it is hard with kids. Especially picky eaters. I'm running in to

that with my youngest one a little bit. He is also against anything

that is green right now. Although I know it will pass, a few months

ago it was orange, before that yellow. At least he's learning his

colors, right! LOL

April

On Sep 7, 2005, at 4:21 PM, earthstrm wrote:

> Hi April

>

> That's great, I wish I could do that here. Zak will be 7 in about 2

> weeks and if the veggie is not corn, potato or sweet potato pie and

> he has to eat it, he will die. He'll especially die if it is green.

> He says so, just ask him! :)

>

> My problem is my hubby is the stay-at-home parent and he does most

> of the cooking, especially for Zak. And he himself is a carnivore.

>

> I am slowly trying to move Zak over to my side and even get him

> actively involved in our garden, but it is difficult to get him to

> try new veggies. The hubby supports my choices 100% and does help in

> getting Zak to eat veggies, but he won't go veggie much less vegan

> himself so that makes it difficult too.

>

> But that is great what you are doing and I am so glad that your sons

> are Vegan too. Much easier to start them now so they will be better

> informed when it is their own choice in the future.

>

> Nikki :)

>

> , April London <april@f...> wrote:

> > My sons are 3 and 6 (almost 7) and yes they are both vegan as

> well. 

> > Nathan, my youngest, has been since birth and Jacob has been

> vegetarian

> > since he was about 1.5 and then vegan for the past year like us. 

> LOL

> >

> > I really haven't had that hard of a time getting them to eat

> veggies. 

> > More my 3 year old than the other but they're both pretty good

> about

> > it.  I basically just tell them that this is what I've made for

> dinner

> > either eat it or starve.  LOL  But in all honesty there isn't

> anything

> > they really won't eat.

> >

> > April

>

>

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

>

>

>

Why would you start dairy at age one? Just curious because it is all pr about them needing dairy. Cow "dairy" is hard on your digestive system and particularly on the very young and the very old.

I mean, it isn't that I am totally anti-dairy but rather that I am anti-misinformation which is the dairy industry's stock in trade.

And, please, don't buy into the whole calcium thing. I never drank milk, period. I hated it from day one and my parents gave up on it. At well past 50 and post menopause and post hysterectomy, the docs insisted that I have a complete bone scan for two reasons, one the dairy and two I refused tortured horse hormones. My bone scan was better than that of a 35 year old!

Lynda

-

sandi gordon

Tuesday, September 06, 2005 1:04 PM

My oldest will be 2 next month and he has maybe 5bites of chicken,but otherwise he doesn't eat meat,he does love dairy though,he was a veg. up until age one,we will start dairy on our babe at age one too,I will not force them to go my way or daddys way they can decide when they are older,sure I would love for them to veg's,but only time will tellApril London <april wrote: My sons are 3 and 6 (almost 7) and yes they are both vegan as well. Nathan, my youngest, has been since birth and Jacob has been vegetarian since he was about 1.5 and then vegan for the past year like us. LOLI really haven't had that hard of a time getting them to eat veggies. More my 3 year old than the other but they're both pretty good about it. I basically just tell them that this is what I've made for dinner either eat it or starve. LOL But in all honesty there isn't anything they really won't eat.AprilOn Sep 6, 2005, at 9:58 AM, earthstrm wrote:> Hi April and WELCOME!>> If you don't mind my asking, how old are your boys and have they also> been Vegan/Veggie? I only ask because my son is about to turn 7 and I> have the most difficult time getting him to eat veggies.>> Nikki :)>>> , April London wrote:> > Hi, my name is April and I just joined this group. My husband and I> > have been vegan for about a year now and vegetarian for about 14> years.> >  We have two boys, also vegan, and live in St. Augustine, FL.> >> > I can't wait to get to know all of you better and am very excited to> be> > a part of this group.> >> > April>>>>> To send an email to - >>>>

yep, you can get tons of calcium through green leafy vegetables, tofu and fruits and nuts and fortified juices.

There's a website www.notmilk.com which explains, how unnatural it is for us to drink milk from another species, and how unethical it is for us to steal it from the cows babies. but bottom line is it's really bad for your health.

another thing everyone esp. elderly can do is lift weights, start gradually of course and this will help create strong bones.

vitamin C found in strawberires, and citrus helps rebuild/repair collagen responsible for repairing tissue and joints in turn aiding flexibility in the body.

My two year old vegan from birth, still breastfeeds and is showing enourmous strengh, climbs trees like he doesn't care. and people think he's four

My seven year old vegan for two years, vegetarian since birth goes to Gifted kids school. hasn't been sick in two years.

recently a little girl came over to play with the two year old. She wanted to play Doctor, and he said "mommy what's a doctor?

-anouk

-

Lynda

9/12/2005 1:05:15 PM

Why would you start dairy at age one? Just curious because it is all pr about them needing dairy. Cow "dairy" is hard on your digestive system and particularly on the very young and the very old.

I mean, it isn't that I am totally anti-dairy but rather that I am anti-misinformation which is the dairy industry's stock in trade.

And, please, don't buy into the whole calcium thing. I never drank milk, period. I hated it from day one and my parents gave up on it. At well past 50 and post menopause and post hysterectomy, the docs insisted that I have a complete bone scan for two reasons, one the dairy and two I refused tortured horse hormones. My bone scan was better than that of a 35 year old!

Lynda