IndiaDivine.org

need leek recipe

Rate this topic

Guest guest

was able to harvest the last of the leeks the other day....

and..sorta at a loss of wot to do with em now

don't wanna make soup..

anyone got a good recipe?

i could go thru all my books and all..but..figure ya'll might have a fave recipe

er three!!!

thanx!

fraggle

War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left.

Well apart from the obvious leek & potato soup, you could try leek,mushroom & beer pie?, stick some in some rosti or vegan pancakes with just about anything, use them instead of onions obviously,baby leeks are nice in a stir fry instead of spring onions,curry some with other veg and lentils, leek and walnut risotto,make leek rings instead of onion rings, if your realy boredand falling over the damn things try this: Leek Pudding Recipe

Ingredients8oz self raising flour4oz sueta pinch of saltorganic leekscold water to mixMethodPut the dry ingredients into a bowl and mix together. Add some of the water and make into a fairly stiff dough. Take only the white parts of the leeks, clean them and cut into ½inch lengths. Roll out the pastry into a large oblong shape. Put the leeks onto one half of the pastry and season with pepper and salt. Bring the other half of the pastry over the top of the leeks. Pinch all the edges together to seal the leeks in and then roll the whole lot up in a damp, floured cloth. Put into a pan of boiling water and boil for about 3 hours.

The Valley Vegan................

fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

was able to harvest the last of the leeks the other day....and..sorta at a loss of wot to do with em nowdon't wanna make soup..anyone got a good recipe?i could go thru all my books and all..but..figure ya'll might have a fave recipe er three!!!thanx!fraggleWar doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left.

rosti? eh? you mean those potato cake thingees?

yeah..i said besides soup!

:)

suet?! fat!?!?!?!?! peter hurd Sep 8, 2005 5:19 PM Re: need leek recipe

Well apart from the obvious leek & potato soup, you could try leek,mushroom & beer pie?, stick some in some rosti or vegan pancakes with just about anything, use them instead of onions obviously,baby leeks are nice in a stir fry instead of spring onions,curry some with other veg and lentils, leek and walnut risotto,make leek rings instead of onion rings, if your realy boredand falling over the damn things try this: Leek Pudding Recipe

Ingredients8oz self raising flour4oz sueta pinch of saltorganic leekscold water to mixMethodPut the dry ingredients into a bowl and mix together. Add some of the water and make into a fairly stiff dough. Take only the white parts of the leeks, clean them and cut into ½inch lengths. Roll out the pastry into a large oblong shape. Put the leeks onto one half of the pastry and season with pepper and salt. Bring the other half of the pastry over the top of the leeks. Pinch all the edges together to seal the leeks in and then roll the whole lot up in a damp, floured cloth. Put into a pan of boiling water and boil for about 3 hours.

was able to harvest the last of the leeks the other day....and..sorta at a loss of wot to do with em nowdon't wanna make soup..anyone got a good recipe?i could go thru all my books and all..but..figure ya'll might have a fave recipe er three!!!thanx!fraggleWar doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left.

They're very good in a quick white sauce. Steam them with a little water in

a pit with a lid on, then when they're soft and the water's gone add some

olive oil and brown them a bit, then add flour to soak up the oil and add

water or soyamilk (with whatever else you fancy - e.g. miso), stir until it

thickens and eat. Generally best if you don't slice them into bits but leave

whole and " carve " while you're eating. If you're feeling nostalgic for days

of gore you can also put them in a little earthenware dish at this point and

stick them under a grill with that fatty melting soya cheese stuff to have

an " au gratin " effect, or you can turn them into a crumble (works best with

the leaks sliced then).

How's that: three for the price of one :-)

Cheers

Mike

On

Behalf Of fraggle

08 September 2005 22:05

need leek recipe

was able to harvest the last of the leeks the other day....

and..sorta at a loss of wot to do with em now don't wanna make soup..

anyone got a good recipe?

i could go thru all my books and all..but..figure ya'll might have a fave

recipe er three!!!

thanx!

fraggle

thanx all

i was lazy...and just roasted em in olive oil, after splitting em down the

middle..with garlic and tomatoes....

Michael Benis <michaelbenis

Sep 9, 2005 1:19 AM

RE: need leek recipe

They're very good in a quick white sauce. Steam them with a little water in

a pit with a lid on, then when they're soft and the water's gone add some

olive oil and brown them a bit, then add flour to soak up the oil and add

water or soyamilk (with whatever else you fancy - e.g. miso), stir until it

thickens and eat. Generally best if you don't slice them into bits but leave

whole and " carve " while you're eating. If you're feeling nostalgic for days

of gore you can also put them in a little earthenware dish at this point and

stick them under a grill with that fatty melting soya cheese stuff to have

an " au gratin " effect, or you can turn them into a crumble (works best with

the leaks sliced then).

How's that: three for the price of one :-)

Cheers

Mike

rosti - grated potato fried, suet is available as vegetable suet not just the animal version, and yes it is shredded fat.

The Valley Vegan............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

never seen vegetable suet on this side of the pond...

here, we got crisco................. peter hurd Sep 9, 2005 10:18 AM Re: need leek recipe

rosti - grated potato fried, suet is available as vegetable suet not just the animal version, and yes it is shredded fat.

The Valley Vegan............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: