IndiaDivine.org

Early Christian Vegetarians

Rate this topic

Guest guest

http://www.animalliberationfront.com/Philosophy/Religion/Early%20Christian%20Vegetarians.htm

EARLY CHRISTIAN VEGETARIANS

Early Christians Practice Vegetarianism Christian scholars have concluded vegetarianism to be the more consistent with respect to the spirit of Christ's teachings. There are the Ebionites, Athanasius, and Arius, Clement of Alexandria, Origen, Tertullian, Heronymus, Boniface, St. Jerome, and John Chrysostom. Clement wrote, "It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. The Apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh". Of the earliest Christian documents is, Clementine Homiles', a second-century work based on the teachings of St. Peter. Homily XII states, "The unnatural eating of flesh meats is as polluting as the heathen worship of devils, with its sacrifices and its impure feasts, through participation in it a man becomes a fellow eater with devils". Many monasteries in ancient times to the present practiced vegetarianism. Many early Christians were vegetarian, Clement of Alexandria, Origen, John Chrysostom, and Basil the Great. In some early church writings, Matthew, Peter and James (Brother of Jesus and first leader of the New Jerusalem Church) were all Vegetarian.

Early Christian Vegetarians The apostle Matthew partook of seeds and nuts and vegetables without flesh. Clement of Alexandria (The Instructor, book 2, chapter 1., Peter said, "I live on olives and bread to which I rarely only add vegetables." Pseudo-Clementine Homolies 12,6; also Recognitions 7,6.

Early Christians Practice Vegetarianism Christian scholars have concluded vegetarianism to be the more consistent with respect to the spirit of Christ's teachings. There are the Ebionites, Athanasius, and Arius, Clement of Alexandria, Origen, Tertullian, Heronymus, Boniface, St. Jerome, and John Chrysostom. Clement wrote, "It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. The Apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh". Of the earliest Christian documents is, Clementine Homiles', a second-century work based on the teachings of St. Peter. Homily XII states, "The unnatural eating of flesh meats is as polluting as the heathen worship of devils, with its sacrifices and its impure feasts, through participation in it a man becomes a fellow eater with devils". Many monasteries in ancient times to the present practiced vegetarianism.

Clement of Alexandria Sacrifices were invented by men to be a pretext for eating flesh.

James James, the brother of the Lord was holy from his mothers womb; and he drank no wine nor strong drink, nor did he eat flesh. Hegesippus, quoted in The Church History of Eusebius, book 2, chapter 23.

Regenstein Says that nowhere in the New Testament is Jesus depicted as eating Flesh and "if the Last Supper was a Passover meal, there is, no mention of the Pass Over Lamb Dish".

Saint Augustine Says: Jacobus, the brother of Jesus, lived of seeds and vegetables and did not accept meat or wine.

Saint Basil The steam of meat meals darkens the spirit. One can hardly have virtue if one enjoys meat meals and feasts. In the earthly paradise, no one sacrificed animals, and no one ate meat.

St Francis of Assisi All things of creation are children of the Father and thus brothersof man, God wants us to help animals, if they need help. Every creature in distress has the same right to be protected.

Saint Jerome The eating of meat was unknown up to the big flood, but since the flood they have the strings and stinking juices of animal meat into our mouths, just as they threw in front of the grumbling sensual people in the desert. Jesus Christ, who appeared when the time had been fulfilled, has again joined the end with the beginning, so that it is no longer allowed for us to eat animal meat.

O.K., I know this is a vegan list but could we please stick with the facts. If one isn't familiar with the bible, all fine and good but don't put out things that aren't there. It clearly states in more than one part that Jesus did partake of "flesh," and the most famous of which is where he fed folks bread and fish.

The bible specifically tells folks which meats to eat, which not to eat and specifically how to both kill and cook them.

And most of what comes out of the whole xtian idiology is myth, including the "big flood."

Could we just stick to the facts that being vegetarian/vegan is better for one's health AND the earth. That is if it is organic <g>

Lynda

-

zurumato

Vegan_Animal_Rights ; veganchat

Sunday, September 11, 2005 12:04 PM

Early Christian Vegetarians

http://www.animalliberationfront.com/Philosophy/Religion/Early%20Christian%20Vegetarians.htm EARLY CHRISTIAN VEGETARIANS

Early Christians Practice Vegetarianism Christian scholars have concluded vegetarianism to be the more consistent with respect to the spirit of Christ's teachings. There are the Ebionites, Athanasius, and Arius, Clement of Alexandria, Origen, Tertullian, Heronymus, Boniface, St. Jerome, and John Chrysostom. Clement wrote, "It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. The Apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh". Of the earliest Christian documents is, Clementine Homiles', a second-century work based on the teachings of St. Peter. Homily XII states, "The unnatural eating of flesh meats is as polluting as the heathen worship of devils, with its sacrifices and its impure feasts, through participation in it a man becomes a fellow eater with devils". Many monasteries in ancient times to the present practiced vegetarianism. Many early Christians were vegetarian, Clement of Alexandria, Origen, John Chrysostom, and Basil the Great. In some early church writings, Matthew, Peter and James (Brother of Jesus and first leader of the New Jerusalem Church) were all Vegetarian.

Early Christian Vegetarians The apostle Matthew partook of seeds and nuts and vegetables without flesh. Clement of Alexandria (The Instructor, book 2, chapter 1., Peter said, "I live on olives and bread to which I rarely only add vegetables." Pseudo-Clementine Homolies 12,6; also Recognitions 7,6.

Early Christians Practice Vegetarianism Christian scholars have concluded vegetarianism to be the more consistent with respect to the spirit of Christ's teachings. There are the Ebionites, Athanasius, and Arius, Clement of Alexandria, Origen, Tertullian, Heronymus, Boniface, St. Jerome, and John Chrysostom. Clement wrote, "It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. The Apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh". Of the earliest Christian documents is, Clementine Homiles', a second-century work based on the teachings of St. Peter. Homily XII states, "The unnatural eating of flesh meats is as polluting as the heathen worship of devils, with its sacrifices and its impure feasts, through participation in it a man becomes a fellow eater with devils". Many monasteries in ancient times to the present practiced vegetarianism.

Clement of Alexandria Sacrifices were invented by men to be a pretext for eating flesh.

James James, the brother of the Lord was holy from his mothers womb; and he drank no wine nor strong drink, nor did he eat flesh. Hegesippus, quoted in The Church History of Eusebius, book 2, chapter 23.

Regenstein Says that nowhere in the New Testament is Jesus depicted as eating Flesh and "if the Last Supper was a Passover meal, there is, no mention of the Pass Over Lamb Dish".

Saint Augustine Says: Jacobus, the brother of Jesus, lived of seeds and vegetables and did not accept meat or wine.

Saint Basil The steam of meat meals darkens the spirit. One can hardly have virtue if one enjoys meat meals and feasts. In the earthly paradise, no one sacrificed animals, and no one ate meat.

St Francis of Assisi All things of creation are children of the Father and thus brothersof man, God wants us to help animals, if they need help. Every creature in distress has the same right to be protected.

Saint Jerome The eating of meat was unknown up to the big flood, but since the flood they have the strings and stinking juices of animal meat into our mouths, just as they threw in front of the grumbling sensual people in the desert. Jesus Christ, who appeared when the time had been fulfilled, has again joined the end with the beginning, so that it is no longer allowed for us to eat animal meat.

Hi Lynda

> O.K., I know this is a vegan list but could we please stick with the facts. If one isn't familiar with the bible, all fine and good but

> don't put out things that aren't there. It clearly states in more than one part that Jesus did partake of "flesh," and the most

> famous of which is where he fed folks bread and fish.

Maybe I've missed something, but I don't see anything in the article that suggests Jesus was vegetarian - it talks of early Christians being vegetarian

BB

Peter

Hi Lynda,

The bible is contradictory, making arguments for vegetariansm and for eating meat, I am aware that christians, puritans, pilgrims were some of the biggest Hunters. Perhaps there was a need to hunt in the 1600's due to the harsh conditions of life. Or in pre-historic times.

I am frankly fed up with the excuses that Bush and clan have for Hunting as a "priviledge" when the bible can be used to justify practically anything,, esp. when they say killing someone on death row isn't killing, killing an animal for pleasure isn't killing but killing an unborne fetus IS killing.

To me Killing is Killing period.

-anouk

Here are some quotes from the Bible on Vegetarianism and Meat eating which they can be used to justify both sides of the argument.

In the beginning:

Gen 1:29 And God said, "Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed

that is on the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit.

You shall have them for food.

Gen 1:30 And to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the heavens

and to everything that creeps on the earth, everything that has the breath

of life, I have given every green plant for food." And it was so.

Later:

Gen 9:3 Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave

you the green plants, I give you everything.

Gen 9:4 But you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood.

As to whether or not we need to be vegetarians:

Rom 14:1 As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to

quarrel over opinions.

Rom 14:2 One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person

eats only vegetables.

Rom 14:3 Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not

the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed

him.

Rom 14:14 I know and am persuaded in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean

in itself, but it is unclean for anyone who thinks it unclean.

Rom 14:15 For if your brother is grieved by what you eat, you are no longer

walking in love. By what you eat, do not destroy the one for whom Christ

died.

Rom 14:16 So do not let what you regard as good be spoken of as evil.

Rom 14:17 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking but

of righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.

Rom 14:18 Whoever thus serves Christ is acceptable to God and approved by

men.

Rom 14:19 So then let us pursue what makes for peace and for mutual

upbuilding.

Rom 14:20 Do not, for the sake of food, destroy the work of God. Everything

is indeed clean, but it is wrong for anyone to make another stumble by what

he eats.

Rom 14:21 It is good not to eat meat or drink wine or do anything that

causes your brother to stumble.

Rom 14:22 The faith that you have, keep between yourself and God. Blessed

is the one who has no reason to pass judgment on himself for what he

approves.

Rom 14:23 But whoever has doubts is condemned if he eats, because the

eating is not from faith. For whatever does not proceed from faith is sin.

-

Lynda

9/11/2005 3:17:40 PM

Re: Early Christian Vegetarians

O.K., I know this is a vegan list but could we please stick with the facts. If one isn't familiar with the bible, all fine and good but don't put out things that aren't there. It clearly states in more than one part that Jesus did partake of "flesh," and the most famous of which is where he fed folks bread and fish.

The bible specifically tells folks which meats to eat, which not to eat and specifically how to both kill and cook them.

And most of what comes out of the whole xtian idiology is myth, including the "big flood."

Could we just stick to the facts that being vegetarian/vegan is better for one's health AND the earth. That is if it is organic <g>

Lynda

Hi Anouk

> I am frankly fed up with the excuses that Bush and clan have for Hunting as a "priviledge" when the bible can be used to justify

> practically anything,, esp. when they say killing someone on death row isn't killing, killing an animal for pleasure isn't killing but

> killing an unborne fetus IS killing.

> To me Killing is Killing period.

I agree with you... unfortunately the way that a lot of people read that particular commandment is "thou shalt not murder"... so, all you have to do is re-define what is considered to be legal killing, and you're not breaking any commandments!!!! Personally, I think it's a problem with basing ethics on anything other than personal feelings.

BB

Peter

The bible is full of contradictions, people just look for parts that agree with whatever they are talking about, and ignore the rest.

Nowt more to say, it bores me.

The Vlley Vegan............"zurumato" <zurumato wrote:

http://www.animalliberationfront.com/Philosophy/Religion/Early%20Christian%20Vegetarians.htm EARLY CHRISTIAN VEGETARIANS

Early Christians Practice Vegetarianism Christian scholars have concluded vegetarianism to be the more consistent with respect to the spirit of Christ's teachings. There are the Ebionites, Athanasius, and Arius, Clement of Alexandria, Origen, Tertullian, Heronymus, Boniface, St. Jerome, and John Chrysostom. Clement wrote, "It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. The Apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh". Of the earliest Christian documents is, Clementine Homiles', a second-century work based on the teachings of St. Peter. Homily XII states, "The unnatural eating of flesh meats is as polluting as the heathen worship of devils, with its sacrifices and its impure feasts, through participation in it a man becomes a fellow eater with devils". Many monasteries in ancient times to the present

practiced vegetarianism. Many early Christians were vegetarian, Clement of Alexandria, Origen, John Chrysostom, and Basil the Great. In some early church writings, Matthew, Peter and James (Brother of Jesus and first leader of the New Jerusalem Church) were all Vegetarian.

Early Christians Practice Vegetarianism Christian scholars have concluded vegetarianism to be the more consistent with respect to the spirit of Christ's teachings. There are the Ebionites, Athanasius, and Arius, Clement of Alexandria, Origen, Tertullian, Heronymus, Boniface, St. Jerome, and John Chrysostom. Clement wrote, "It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. The Apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh". Of the earliest Christian documents is, Clementine Homiles', a second-century work based on the teachings of St. Peter. Homily XII states, "The unnatural eating of flesh meats is as polluting as the heathen worship of devils, with its sacrifices and its impure feasts, through participation in it a man becomes a fellow eater with devils". Many monasteries in ancient times to the present

practiced vegetarianism.

Peter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.

, peter hurd <swpgh01@t...> wrote:

parts that agree with whatever they are talking about, and ignore the

rest.

> Nowt more to say, it bores me.

> The Vlley Vegan............

Dear Peter

Could we all agree on the God of Bacchanalians, and the Roman Goddess

Flora

Being the God of Wine, and The Goddess of Flowers.

although I am not such a drinker, I should join in the merryment by

dancing around the maypole composing rhymes and verses, while eating

grapes with flowers in my hair.

-anouk

Regenstein and Saint Jerome

Lynda

-

Peter

Sunday, September 11, 2005 12:22 PM

Re: Early Christian Vegetarians

Hi Lynda

> O.K., I know this is a vegan list but could we please stick with the facts. If one isn't familiar with the bible, all fine and good but

> don't put out things that aren't there. It clearly states in more than one part that Jesus did partake of "flesh," and the most

> famous of which is where he fed folks bread and fish.

Maybe I've missed something, but I don't see anything in the article that suggests Jesus was vegetarian - it talks of early Christians being vegetarian

BB

Peter