IndiaDivine.org

Re:teachers

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Lynda

This reminds me....

Down the street a couple moved in. One is a teacher. He was telling me how he thinks teachers should be "paid enough to buy a home".

I was like "Hardly anyone can buy a home now" (we live in a neighborhood where the single family homes are around $800,000)

I was stunned by his attitude. The assumption that his public service job should automatically be inflated to support the inflated housing market. Instead, he should of thought, maybe I should move somewhere I could afford a home, or be like the rest of us...wait and hope that it will cool down and we can afford to buy something.

The only reason this makes me mad is because so many teachers and public servants think they should have it better than the rest of us. The rest of us are dealing with job insecurity, lowered wages, outsourcing and lack of benefits. What makes teachers think they should be above the realities everyone else must deal with? And this couple are able to afford to rent a fairly nice home... I wish I could do that!

Kristina

In a message dated 9/14/05 10:43:02 AM Pacific Daylight Time, writes:

Message: 20 Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:09:41 -0700 "Lynda" <lurineRe: don't feed the childrenThere are exceptions to every rule. So you know a few exceptions. However, at $24,000 a year, the person you know either wasn't a credentialed teacher or only worked part-time.The salaries I listed were for 2003 and were pulled from Alemeda County.Sure, Oakland is an expensive place to live. Lots of us don't choose to live where the cost of living is outrageous. Lots of us work more than one job. That is the result of our choices.Like the hurricane, I don't expect other folks to pay for my choices. I live in fire country. I made that choice and there are things I have to give up for that choice. I pay the price for that choice.Lynda- "fraggle" <EBbrewpunxWednesday, September 14, 2005 9:38 AMRe: don't feed the children> 1. my friend marcia(who i've known for approx. 20 yrs) started teacher > spec ed in 2003....> her salary was $24,000> 2. she quit when a student pulled a gun on her in class (after the > superintendent told her it was no big deal)> 3. i have several friend's who are teachers...these are my family..ppl > i've been with for years, i've lived with them, dated some of em, etc..i > sorta know wot time they get up, wot their schedules are...trust me..they > often get to work at 6am...and stay there all day long> 4. one of my best freinds in the entire world has been a teacher for about > 6 yrs...her salary is in the low 30's..she can barely pay her mortgage(and > she lives in the ghetto in east oakland), she takes her kids on field > trips often paying out of her own pocket, and these are all disadvantaged > kids, kids no one else wants..>>> > Lynda <lurine> Sep 14, 2005 9:13 AM> > Re: don't feed the children>> Not the case. With NO experience whatsoever, a teacher's salary to start > in> California is, or was in 2002/2004, $34,480. Minimum, small school> district. Now, they get step raises, not merit raises, which means that > you> need to add 10% minimum to that amount to bring it up to "steps" to> 2005/2006. Minimum to start for ADAs over 5,000 is/was $37,951. > Midrange,> $50,405 to $61,262. Highest $60,239 to $74,414.>>> I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can still > do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do > the something that I can do.>>>> To send an email to - >

Hey, even with both of us working we couldn't afford an $800,000 house. besides which, in CA, if he was looking at that $800,000 house, unlike the rest of us, he couldn't have gotten a special mortage with special rates simply because he was a teacher. I'd like that too!

Lynda

-

lv2breathe

Cc: Lv2breathe

Wednesday, September 14, 2005 11:18 AM

Re:teachers

Lynda

This reminds me....

Down the street a couple moved in. One is a teacher. He was telling me how he thinks teachers should be "paid enough to buy a home".

I was like "Hardly anyone can buy a home now" (we live in a neighborhood where the single family homes are around $800,000)

I was stunned by his attitude. The assumption that his public service job should automatically be inflated to support the inflated housing market. Instead, he should of thought, maybe I should move somewhere I could afford a home, or be like the rest of us...wait and hope that it will cool down and we can afford to buy something.

The only reason this makes me mad is because so many teachers and public servants think they should have it better than the rest of us. The rest of us are dealing with job insecurity, lowered wages, outsourcing and lack of benefits. What makes teachers think they should be above the realities everyone else must deal with? And this couple are able to afford to rent a fairly nice home... I wish I could do that!

Kristina

In a message dated 9/14/05 10:43:02 AM Pacific Daylight Time, writes:

Message: 20 Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:09:41 -0700 "Lynda" <lurineRe: don't feed the childrenThere are exceptions to every rule. So you know a few exceptions. However, at $24,000 a year, the person you know either wasn't a credentialed teacher or only worked part-time.The salaries I listed were for 2003 and were pulled from Alemeda County.Sure, Oakland is an expensive place to live. Lots of us don't choose to live where the cost of living is outrageous. Lots of us work more than one job. That is the result of our choices.Like the hurricane, I don't expect other folks to pay for my choices. I live in fire country. I made that choice and there are things I have to give up for that choice. I pay the price for that choice.Lynda- "fraggle" <EBbrewpunxWednesday, September 14, 2005 9:38 AMRe: don't feed the children> 1. my friend marcia(who i've known for approx. 20 yrs) started teacher > spec ed in 2003....> her salary was $24,000> 2. she quit when a student pulled a gun on her in class (after the > superintendent told her it was no big deal)> 3. i have several friend's who are teachers...these are my family..ppl > i've been with for years, i've lived with them, dated some of em, etc..i > sorta know wot time they get up, wot their schedules are...trust me..they > often get to work at 6am...and stay there all day long> 4. one of my best freinds in the entire world has been a teacher for about > 6 yrs...her salary is in the low 30's..she can barely pay her mortgage(and > she lives in the ghetto in east oakland), she takes her kids on field > trips often paying out of her own pocket, and these are all disadvantaged > kids, kids no one else wants..>>> > Lynda <lurine> Sep 14, 2005 9:13 AM> > Re: don't feed the children>> Not the case. With NO experience whatsoever, a teacher's salary to start > in> California is, or was in 2002/2004, $34,480. Minimum, small school> district. Now, they get step raises, not merit raises, which means that > you> need to add 10% minimum to that amount to bring it up to "steps" to> 2005/2006. Minimum to start for ADAs over 5,000 is/was $37,951. > Midrange,> $50,405 to $61,262. Highest $60,239 to $74,414.>>> I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can still > do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do > the something that I can do.>>>> To send an email to - >

Each district in California pays differently, I think.

I know teachers in poorer states do get less...like in Housten BUT, the cost of living is lower, too.

Kristina

In a message dated 9/15/05 8:59:19 AM Pacific Daylight Time, writes:

I guess if I were to be a teacher I would do so in CA. Seems you have a lot of perks there!Nikki

There are minimums set by the CTA, the California teachers union. It is one of the strongest unions in the state! In fact, it is one of the strongest unions in the country!

Lynda

-

lv2breathe

Thursday, September 15, 2005 2:28 PM

Re:Teachers

I know teachers in poorer states do get less...like in Housten BUT, the cost of living is lower, too.

Kristina

hi kristina,

i know that teachers in nyc, get paid around 35, ooo. so they tried to go work where there is more money like long island or westchester where the schools are nicer, and the rate is 45,ooo a year.

That's a big difference just a train ride away. 35K is nothing when the average new yorker gets100,000+ at any regular job.

It is very sad and breaks my heart to see what some kids call school in some neighborhoods, graffitii would be the least of their

problems.

speaking of bad teachers,

in high school, our social arts ( I still don't know what that class was about) liked to give shoulder massages to us girls.

He would rub our backs and touch our hair. I even remember him asking to give him a kiss on the cheek.

Some girls thought he was just wonderful, they werent getting attention/love at home and he was an Older attractive man.

he was about 34 in late 80's. none of our parents spoke english.

Well today he is jail, a girl told her parents that he was her boyfriend. The parents called the cops, they caught him red handed with her in the basement of the school. His face plastered all over the New York Post! and I said hey ,that was my teacher!

-anouk

-

9/15/2005 5:44:20 PM

Re:Teachers

Kristina

In a message dated 9/15/05 8:59:19 AM Pacific Daylight Time, writes: