IndiaDivine.org

Teachers etc don't feed the children

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Um, I agree with both you and Fraggle. I think it goes without

saying that in every profession there is good and bad.

Some teachers get paid next to nothing and they are responsible for

our future! And that's the truth. And some of these teachers are the

best there are. Sorry, $20k a year to teach my child is not enough

in my eyes. Not if you are doing your job.

And then some get paid over $60k a year and have no clue what they

are doing.

I just read an article in Readers Digest about one said teacher who

made $62,000 a year and failed his exams 3 times! The third time he

failed because he got caught cheating. He had a fake ID made up for

a friend of his with his name and sent him to take the test for him!

And do these teachers get suspended if they fail? Nope.

My sis-in-law was a teacher. She used a lot of her own money to buy

curriculum and school supplies (as many have to do) and she loved

her kids! Unfortunately she got paid next to nothing and had to deal

with too much red tape as it is in many states.

I work with teachers, schools, and districts constantly working for

OfficeMax. Tell me why someone responsible for 30 childrens futures

can get paid $20k a year, treated like dirt by adminstration and

parents, be expected to mold and teach these children, and not all

get those great benefits you were referring, but yet we pay a

football/baseball/basketball (etc) player who sits on the sidelines

millions?

And what about the parents? They have a responsibility to the kids

and teachers as well. Many drop their children off at school and

expect the teacher to now raise them. Can you raise 30 kids at once?

I can't. Parents need to be more involved and need to support these

teachers as well. (Not saying that some do not) Reinforce at home.

Work with the teachers. Let them know what you expect from them and

ask them what they need from you.

Social workers, same thing! Some are great and get nothing for their

troubles. No money and lots of red tape. Some are the worst thing

out there and get to live riding high.

Oh I could go on forever!

The system is broken and I fear will never be fixed!

Nikki

, " Lynda " <lurine@s...> wrote:

> Wellll, having worked for school districts and DH worked for

school

> districts, I can tell that generally speaking teachers are grossly

over

> paid! Further, if you have any daughters, I'd suggest before you

send them

> to any public school that you spend some time in the teachers'

lounge and

> listen to the male teachers discuss them!

>

> And, please don't bother telling me about their salaries. What

they neglect

> to tell the general public is that over an above their salaries

they have

> the absolute best medical plan in the nation which included full

medical for

> them and their families, plus dental plus vision for them and

their

> families, the best sick leave, the best vacation plan, the best

retirement

> plan, the best, bar none, " perks " plans which include paid time to

take ECUs

> plus having the classes paid for, plus, plus, plus.

>

> Of course, they don't mention that when they want more money.

Time for them

> to be paid for ability to teach, not just because they have been

collecting

> a pay check for x number of years. And it is time that tenure was

deep

> sixed!

>

> The state of educatio in the U.S. is dismal and it is due to the

quality of

> the teachers!

>

> Lynda

Bringing up the starts kinda hits a sore point with me too. True, a sports player will have a shorter career than I will, but there's no way that I'm gonna make that kinda money over my lifetime. Same is true for singers and actors. Granted that getting to that point is kinda like winning the lottery, you gotta have some luck and skill (it's hard to go in and plunk down your $ for that lottery ticket!)earthstrm <nikkimack wrote:

Um, I agree with both you and Fraggle. I think it goes without saying that in every profession there is good and bad.Some teachers get paid next to nothing and they are responsible for our future! And that's the truth. And some of these teachers are the best there are. Sorry, $20k a year to teach my child is not enough in my eyes. Not if you are doing your job.And then some get paid over $60k a year and have no clue what they are doing.I just read an article in Readers Digest about one said teacher who made $62,000 a year and failed his exams 3 times! The third time he failed because he got caught cheating. He had a fake ID made up for a friend of his with his name and sent him to take the test for him! And do these teachers get suspended if they fail? Nope.My sis-in-law was a teacher. She used a lot of her own

money to buy curriculum and school supplies (as many have to do) and she loved her kids! Unfortunately she got paid next to nothing and had to deal with too much red tape as it is in many states.I work with teachers, schools, and districts constantly working for OfficeMax. Tell me why someone responsible for 30 childrens futures can get paid $20k a year, treated like dirt by adminstration and parents, be expected to mold and teach these children, and not all get those great benefits you were referring, but yet we pay a football/baseball/basketball (etc) player who sits on the sidelines millions?And what about the parents? They have a responsibility to the kids and teachers as well. Many drop their children off at school and expect the teacher to now raise them. Can you raise 30 kids at once? I can't. Parents need to be more involved and need to support these teachers as well. (Not saying that some do not) Reinforce

at home. Work with the teachers. Let them know what you expect from them and ask them what they need from you.Social workers, same thing! Some are great and get nothing for their troubles. No money and lots of red tape. Some are the worst thing out there and get to live riding high.Oh I could go on forever!The system is broken and I fear will never be fixed!Nikki , "Lynda" <lurine@s...> wrote:> Wellll, having worked for school districts and DH worked for school > districts, I can tell that generally speaking teachers are grossly over > paid! Further, if you have any daughters, I'd suggest before you send them > to any public school that you spend some time in the teachers' lounge and > listen to the male teachers discuss them!> > And, please don't bother telling me about their salaries. What they neglect

> to tell the general public is that over an above their salaries they have > the absolute best medical plan in the nation which included full medical for > them and their families, plus dental plus vision for them and their > families, the best sick leave, the best vacation plan, the best retirement > plan, the best, bar none, "perks" plans which include paid time to take ECUs > plus having the classes paid for, plus, plus, plus.> > Of course, they don't mention that when they want more money. Time for them > to be paid for ability to teach, not just because they have been collecting > a pay check for x number of years. And it is time that tenure was deep > sixed!> > The state of educatio in the U.S. is dismal and it is due to the quality of > the teachers!> > LyndaTo send an email to - Jonnie

for Good Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

Hi Jonnie

> Bringing up the starts kinda hits a sore point with me too. True, a sports player will have a shorter career than I will, but

> there's no way that I'm gonna make that kinda money over my lifetime. Same is true for singers and actors. Granted that

> getting to that point is kinda like winning the lottery, you gotta have some luck and skill (it's hard to go in and plunk down

> your $ for that lottery ticket!)

Depends on how lucky you are as a singer or an actor. OK, the "big names" get paid millions, but most theatre actors may get paid more per week / day than the average, but they're also out of work a lot of the time, and so don't earn more in a year than the average worker. Same with singers and musicians - the vast majority are just about scraping a living.... even some of my favourite bands still have to take time off from their day jobs in order to go on tour!

BB

Peter

Yup, which is why I said it was kinda like winning the lottery. Even when you make it big, doesn't mean you'll keep earning the big money. You can trash something bad in ur first game. Or the next album goes in the toilet, etc. Too bad ppl aren't paid according to skill levels, huh? Course, my DH would be a billionaire.Peter <metalscarab wrote:

Hi Jonnie

> Bringing up the starts kinda hits a sore point with me too. True, a sports player will have a shorter career than I will, but

> there's no way that I'm gonna make that kinda money over my lifetime. Same is true for singers and actors. Granted that

> getting to that point is kinda like winning the lottery, you gotta have some luck and skill (it's hard to go in and plunk down

> your $ for that lottery ticket!)

Depends on how lucky you are as a singer or an actor. OK, the "big names" get paid millions, but most theatre actors may get paid more per week / day than the average, but they're also out of work a lot of the time, and so don't earn more in a year than the average worker. Same with singers and musicians - the vast majority are just about scraping a living.... even some of my favourite bands still have to take time off from their day jobs in order to go on tour!

BB

PeterJonnie

for Good Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.