IndiaDivine.org

My week as a vegan........

Rate this topic

Guest guest

This does nothing to promote veganism, and after reading it might indeed put some people off. Very negative in my opinion, wot u tink?

http://www.dailycardinal.com/media/paper439/news/2005/09/15/Food/A.Week.As.A.Vegan-985567.shtml

The Valley Vegan............Peter H

Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail

She sounds ignorant,

the kinda people that think veganism is cool, a trend. I know a lot of people who did veganism or were vegetarians, for a semester at college just to be cool. Just so they could say, done that!

what she failed to mentioning is that real vegans, don't not eat animal products for diet,

they are vegan for compassionate reasons. diet comes later.

She doesn't sound very (mentally) healthy, being that she threw up a pizza, cause she forgot it wasn't vegan.

I don't see why this newspaper, did not ask a REAL vegan, one who has been one for years, to write about it.

but then, again, maybe that wouldn't be as interesting.

As for Tofu, she just fulfilled every steryotype that meat eaters have about us. That if you cut out meat, there will be nothing left to eat but bland Tofu. personally, I can't remember the last time I ate tofu. my diet is so varied.

As for expensive, She is a consumerist, no matter what her diet. She buys convienient, processed, packaged foods.

instead of trying to eat their WHOLE versions, If you make Juices, sandwiches, beans, at home instead of buying them, they will always be less expensive. by the way, she left her email, we could write to her and try to educate her. If she if studying psychology I would hate to be her patient.

VEGAN POWER!!!!!

-anouk

-

peter hurd

9/15/2005 3:17:37 PM

Re: My week as a vegan........

This does nothing to promote veganism, and after reading it might indeed put some people off. Very negative in my opinion, wot u tink?

http://www.dailycardinal.com/media/paper439/news/2005/09/15/Food/A.Week.As.A.Vegan-985567.shtml The Valley Vegan............

Peter H

Well, I never can resist answering things like this, so here's my reply under their "post a comment" section.

Lynda

O.K., I'd like to know just how in the heck someone gets to be a senior and never learns how to do their homework?

I'm not a vegan. Not even a vegetarian but I certainly could have figured out some really tasty meals that would have made ANYONE full, satisfied and not left them craving curdled milk or dead cows.

Veggie lasagna is yummy and doesn't take an Einstein to make it. Veggie burritos. Soy wraps with sauted mushrooms and eggplant. Pesto (no cheese) and vermicelli. Sweet and sour noodle soup (no egg, lots of tofu and mushrooms). Roasted red bell pepper sauce over angel hair pasta. Julienned veggies stir-fried with peanut sauce over rice. Good ol' p.b. & j on sour dough bread. A big salad loaded with veggies and a yummy mustard, spices, balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar and EVOO dressing. Deep fried veggie sticks and onion "roses" with veganaise dill sauce for dipping. Tortilla chips with salsa. Fried potatoes O'Brien. Chili (no meat, lots of spices). Homemade pizza brushed with EVOO, sprinkled with garlic and Italian spices, and layered with veggies (onions, tomatoes, mushrooms) and sprinkled with olives. For dessert a baked apple stuffed with walnuts, raisens and brown sugar (organic, of course). Or our family's fav, an apple upside down cake (made with no eggs or butter, just applesauce, flour and spices poured over sliced apples, brown sugar, raisens and chopped walnuts).

Well, you get the idea. One is only limited in one's diet by the limits of one's imagination.

Oh, while speaking of homework, which would seem appropriate on a college network, Katrina needs to do even more homework. Most bread is not vegan, nor are most things made by the Boca folks.

-

peter hurd

Thursday, September 15, 2005 11:17 AM

http://www.dailycardinal.com/media/paper439/news/2005/09/15/Food/A.Week.As.A.Vegan-985567.shtml The Valley Vegan............

Peter H

Version: 7.0.344 / Virus Database: 267.11.0/103 - Release 9/15/2005

Hi Lynda

> Oh, while speaking of homework, which would seem appropriate on a college network, Katrina needs to do even more

> homework. Most bread is not vegan, nor are most things made by the Boca folks.

This is something I found on my trip to the US... why is it that US companies seem to put eggs and milk and such like into bread. The ones I managed to find that were vegan tasted like cardboard!

BB

Peter

i never did homework in skool, never studied, and still graduated 11th in my class and honor roll every year

skool is easy...

just boring

fraggle Lynda Sep 15, 2005 12:01 PM Re: My week as a vegan........

Well, I never can resist answering things like this, so here's my reply under their "post a comment" section.

Lynda

O.K., I'd like to know just how in the heck someone gets to be a senior and never learns how to do their homework?

I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can still do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.

its a cheap binder/filler

the dairy industry is heavily subsidized..and we have to thank monsanto for pushing rBGH onto an already glutted market....

and..bread depends..i never have ANY problem finding vegan bread

then again, i don't shop at safeway...

stay away from the major over-processed plastic wrapped breads and yer fine...

fraggle Peter Sep 15, 2005 12:51 PM Re: My week as a vegan........

Hi Lynda

> Oh, while speaking of homework, which would seem appropriate on a college network, Katrina needs to do even more

> homework. Most bread is not vegan, nor are most things made by the Boca folks.

This is something I found on my trip to the US... why is it that US companies seem to put eggs and milk and such like into bread. The ones I managed to find that were vegan tasted like cardboard!

BB

Peter

To send an email to -

Big business, my dear. It is all about selling all those quantities and quantities of dehydrated eggs and milk. I prefer *real* sour dough bread myself which has neither in it and holds together like homemade bread instead of a bunch of half cooked dough. I just HATE store bought bread!

Lynda

-

Peter

Thursday, September 15, 2005 12:51 PM

Hi Lynda

BB

Peter

Notice all the veggies in his meals? It seems he was just trying to use meat substitutes to me. Maybe that's all he eats normally; meat and bread? I think someone needs to do more homework. peter hurd <swpgh01 wrote:

Peter H

Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail Jonnie

for Good Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

You GO girl!Lynda <lurine wrote:

Lynda

I'm not a vegan. Not even a vegetarian but I certainly could have figured out some really tasty meals that would have made ANYONE full, satisfied and not left them craving curdled milk or dead cows.

Veggie lasagna is yummy and doesn't take an Einstein to make it. Veggie burritos. Soy wraps with sauted mushrooms and eggplant. Pesto (no cheese) and vermicelli. Sweet and sour noodle soup (no egg, lots of tofu and mushrooms). Roasted red bell pepper sauce over angel hair pasta. Julienned veggies stir-fried with peanut sauce over rice. Good ol' p.b. & j on sour dough bread. A big salad loaded with veggies and a yummy mustard, spices, balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar and EVOO dressing. Deep fried veggie sticks and onion "roses" with veganaise dill sauce for dipping. Tortilla chips with salsa. Fried potatoes O'Brien. Chili (no meat, lots of spices). Homemade pizza brushed with EVOO, sprinkled with garlic and Italian spices, and layered with veggies (onions, tomatoes, mushrooms) and sprinkled with olives. For dessert a baked apple stuffed with walnuts, raisens and brown

sugar (organic, of course). Or our family's fav, an apple upside down cake (made with no eggs or butter, just applesauce, flour and spices poured over sliced apples, brown sugar, raisens and chopped walnuts).

Well, you get the idea. One is only limited in one's diet by the limits of one's imagination.

Oh, while speaking of homework, which would seem appropriate on a college network, Katrina needs to do even more homework. Most bread is not vegan, nor are most things made by the Boca folks.

-

peter hurd

Peter H

Version: 7.0.344 / Virus Database: 267.11.0/103 - Release 9/15/2005Jonnie

Do you have a recipe for ur break Peter? I'm curious how your bread is made nice without those things and ours is indeed like cardboard.Peter <metalscarab wrote:

Hi Lynda

BB

PeterJonnie

Hi Jonnie

> Do you have a recipe for ur break Peter? I'm curious how your bread is made nice without those things and ours is indeed

> like cardboard.

Not to hand - I tend to buy mine from the shop (I usually get Hovis which is labelled as being suitable for vegans). I believe the regular thing is a mix of flour, yeast and water. It's a long time since I've made any!!!

BB

Peter

I reckon that will make them realise there is plenty of delicious food to eat.

Jo

-

Lynda

Thursday, September 15, 2005 8:01 PM

Lynda

Veggie lasagna is yummy and doesn't take an Einstein to make it. Veggie burritos. Soy wraps with sauted mushrooms and eggplant. Pesto (no cheese) and vermicelli. Sweet and sour noodle soup (no egg, lots of tofu and mushrooms). Roasted red bell pepper sauce over angel hair pasta. Julienned veggies stir-fried with peanut sauce over rice. Good ol' p.b. & j on sour dough bread. A big salad loaded with veggies and a yummy mustard, spices, balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar and EVOO dressing. Deep fried veggie sticks and onion "roses" with veganaise dill sauce for dipping. Tortilla chips with salsa. Fried potatoes O'Brien. Chili (no meat, lots of spices). Homemade pizza brushed with EVOO, sprinkled with garlic and Italian spices, and layered with veggies (onions, tomatoes, mushrooms) and sprinkled with olives. For dessert a baked apple stuffed with walnuts, raisens and brown sugar (organic, of course). Or our family's fav, an apple upside down cake (made with no eggs or butter, just applesauce, flour and spices poured over sliced apples, brown sugar, raisens and chopped walnuts).

-

peter hurd

Peter H

Version: 7.0.344 / Virus Database: 267.11.0/103 - Release 9/15/2005

Hi Peter

It is a long time since you made some - I used to like your bread - hint, hint :-)

BBJo

-

Peter

Thursday, September 15, 2005 10:48 PM

Hi Jonnie

> Do you have a recipe for ur break Peter? I'm curious how your bread is made nice without those things and ours is indeed

> like cardboard.

Not to hand - I tend to buy mine from the shop (I usually get Hovis which is labelled as being suitable for vegans). I believe the regular thing is a mix of flour, yeast and water. It's a long time since I've made any!!!

BB

Peter

That was my problem too. I was consistently asked to do readings, help

the teachers, etc. I always recieved good grades and scored high on

the tests. It just never moved fast enough for me.

So I would stop paying attention after awhile.

I wasn't an honors student in grammer school, but if I applied myself

I could have been. When I tested for high school after receiving

mostly B's and some C's in grammer school, I was put into 3 honors

classes. Go figure.

My knowledge and learning skills were there, I just couldn't take the

slow pace of school.

I am a much better self-taught student.

My son has the same problem it seems.

Nikki

, fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:

> i never did homework in skool, never studied, and still graduated

11th in my class and honor roll every year

skool is easy...

just boring

fraggle

If y'all listen to yourselves carefully, you will find that you are saying

exactly what homeschoolers say and why they take their kids out of school!

Lynda

-

" earthstrm " <nikkimack

Saturday, September 17, 2005 6:43 AM

> That was my problem too. I was consistently asked to do readings, help

> the teachers, etc. I always recieved good grades and scored high on

> the tests. It just never moved fast enough for me.

>

> So I would stop paying attention after awhile.

>

> I wasn't an honors student in grammer school, but if I applied myself

> I could have been. When I tested for high school after receiving

> mostly B's and some C's in grammer school, I was put into 3 honors

> classes. Go figure.

>

> My knowledge and learning skills were there, I just couldn't take the

> slow pace of school.

>

> I am a much better self-taught student.

>

> My son has the same problem it seems.

>

> Nikki

>

> , fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:

>> i never did homework in skool, never studied, and still graduated

> 11th in my class and honor roll every year

> skool is easy...

> just boring

>

> fraggle

>

>

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

i use to get sent home, cuz of my hair and dress...

drove em nuts, cuz they wanted to suspend me, but i had good grades, and such,

so they had no idea wot to dos

so, they'd send me home fer a day....

earthstrm <nikkimack

Sep 17, 2005 6:43 AM

That was my problem too. I was consistently asked to do readings, help

the teachers, etc. I always recieved good grades and scored high on

the tests. It just never moved fast enough for me.

So I would stop paying attention after awhile.

I wasn't an honors student in grammer school, but if I applied myself

I could have been. When I tested for high school after receiving

mostly B's and some C's in grammer school, I was put into 3 honors

classes. Go figure.

My knowledge and learning skills were there, I just couldn't take the

slow pace of school.

I am a much better self-taught student.

My son has the same problem it seems.

Nikki

, fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:

> i never did homework in skool, never studied, and still graduated

11th in my class and honor roll every year

skool is easy...

just boring

fraggle

To send an email to -

and society in general(at least here), can't homeskool most of its kids...

Lynda <lurine

Sep 17, 2005 9:03 AM

Re: Re: My week as a vegan........

If y'all listen to yourselves carefully, you will find that you are saying

exactly what homeschoolers say and why they take their kids out of school!

Lynda

-

" earthstrm " <nikkimack

Saturday, September 17, 2005 6:43 AM

>

>

> classes. Go figure.

>

> slow pace of school.

>

>

>

> Nikki

>

> skool is easy...

> just boring

>

> fraggle

>

I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can still do

something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the

something that I can do.

It was brave wearing a dress to school :-)

Jo

-

" fraggle " <EBbrewpunx

Saturday, September 17, 2005 5:54 PM

> i use to get sent home, cuz of my hair and dress...

> drove em nuts, cuz they wanted to suspend me, but i had good grades, and

such, so they had no idea wot to dos

> so, they'd send me home fer a day....

We " un " school and son #3 decided that Pop Warner, Little League and

Hoopsters weren't competitive enough. So off he goes to the local high

school. Poor school, they simply weren't prepared <<eg>> He refused to do

" busy work " and aced all the tests. They said they were going to flunk him

if he didn't do homework everynight. He took them all the way to the school

board who said they didn't know what the problem was if he was getting As on

all the tests. After the football and basketball seasons of one year he

decided he'd go play for the local CC and forget the b.s. at a public

school. Had the coaches calling for months because he was MVP at all the

regional finals. Oh well, their loss!

Lynda

-

" fraggle " <EBbrewpunx

Saturday, September 17, 2005 9:54 AM

>i use to get sent home, cuz of my hair and dress...

> drove em nuts, cuz they wanted to suspend me, but i had good grades, and

> such, so they had no idea wot to dos

> so, they'd send me home fer a day....

>

>

> earthstrm <nikkimack

> Sep 17, 2005 6:43 AM

>

> Re: My week as a vegan........

>

>

>

> classes. Go figure.

>

> slow pace of school.

>

>

>

> Nikki

>

> skool is easy...

> just boring

>

> fraggle

>

>

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

Of course they can. All they have to do is forget all the sheople messages

that they were brainwashed with in p.s.

Lynda

-

" fraggle " <EBbrewpunx

Saturday, September 17, 2005 10:05 AM

> and society in general(at least here), can't homeskool most of its kids...

Yes, they say that and many other things. Tis one of the reasons that

I Afterschool. I originally HS'd but as DH is the stay-at-home parent

and he cannot do it, I can only Afterschool.

I do however run an IL HS support group with a lot of programs. We

were originally going to go not-for-profit status but decided the

government had it's hands in enough of our business. :)

Nikki

, " Lynda " <lurine@s...> wrote:

> If y'all listen to yourselves carefully, you will find that you are

saying

> exactly what homeschoolers say and why they take their kids out of

school!

>

> Lynda

Not really, some people just aren't cut out to be parents, much less

spend the day trying to teach them.

For some it is a patience thing. Others structure. Others do not

care enough. Some have no schooling themselves. etc etc

There's a lot of reasons a parent cannot or even shouldn't

homeschool.

But I understand what you are saying. A school structure of learning

is not needed to HS.

What amazes me is the vast amount of different types of HS'ing. It's

a lot of fun to learn how others do it.

Nikki :)

, " Lynda " <lurine@s...> wrote:

> Of course they can. All they have to do is forget all the sheople

> that they were brainwashed with in p.s.

>

> Lynda

> -

> " fraggle " <EBbrewpunx@e...>

>

> Saturday, September 17, 2005 10:05 AM

> Re: Re: My week as a vegan........

>

>

> > and society in general(at least here), can't homeskool most of

its kids...

There were no public schools in the U.S. until 1850. There was no mandatory

attendance. AND, the literacy rate was higher than it is now!

People forms small groups or they homeschooled. It worked then, it would

work now.

Of course, then the government wouldn't have their finger in their

controlling, controlling, controlling!

Lynda

-

" earthstrm " <nikkimack

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 5:03 AM

> Not really, some people just aren't cut out to be parents, much less

> spend the day trying to teach them.

>

> For some it is a patience thing. Others structure. Others do not

> care enough. Some have no schooling themselves. etc etc

>

> There's a lot of reasons a parent cannot or even shouldn't

> homeschool.

>

> But I understand what you are saying. A school structure of learning

> is not needed to HS.

>

> What amazes me is the vast amount of different types of HS'ing. It's

> a lot of fun to learn how others do it.

>

> Nikki :)

>

> , " Lynda " <lurine@s...> wrote:

>> Of course they can. All they have to do is forget all the sheople

> messages

>> that they were brainwashed with in p.s.

>>

>> Lynda

>> -

>> " fraggle " <EBbrewpunx@e...>

>>

>> Saturday, September 17, 2005 10:05 AM

>> Re: Re: My week as a vegan........

>>

>>

>> > and society in general(at least here), can't homeskool most of

> its kids...

To send an email to -

>

ummm

no

there were publically supported schools here from the first colonies...most of

the original 13 colonies had educational provisions written into their

charters..the first *highschool* was in boston in 16something er other..the

boston latin skool(i actually had to write a report on it waaaaaaaaaaay back

when)

publically supported skools sorta dropped back a bit in the 18th century..but

came back by like 1791, and started full swing in the middle of the 19th century

Lynda <lurine

Sep 20, 2005 12:54 PM

There were no public schools in the U.S. until 1850. There was no mandatory

attendance. AND, the literacy rate was higher than it is now!

People forms small groups or they homeschooled. It worked then, it would

work now.

Of course, then the government wouldn't have their finger in their

controlling, controlling, controlling!

Lynda

I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can still do

something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the

something that I can do.

Hi Lynda

> There were no public schools in the U.S. until 1850. There was no

mandatory

> attendance. AND, the literacy rate was higher than it is now!

Literacy rates are intriguing.... In the UK, prior to the middle of the 20th

century, the period with the highest literacy rate was the 1580s, at which

time it is reckoned that about 80% of men and 40% of women had basic reading

and writing skills!

BB

Peter