IndiaDivine.org

teachers

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Where are credentialed teachers paid only 20,000 a year?

I mean full on credentialed teachers, not aids.

Kristina

In a message dated 9/15/05 8:59:19 AM Pacific Daylight Time, writes:

Message: 8 Thu, 15 Sep 2005 11:13:30 -0000 "earthstrm" <nikkimackTeachers etc Re: don't feed the childrenUm, I agree with both you and Fraggle. I think it goes without saying that in every profession there is good and bad.Some teachers get paid next to nothing and they are responsible for our future! And that's the truth. And some of these teachers are the best there are. Sorry, $20k a year to teach my child is not enough in my eyes. Not if you are doing your job.And then some get paid over $60k a year and have no clue what they are doing.I just read an article in Readers Digest about one said teacher who made $62,000 a year and failed his exams 3 times! The third time he failed because he got caught cheating. He had a fake ID made up for a friend of his with his name and sent him to take the test for him! And do these teachers get suspended if they fail? Nope.My sis-in-law was a teacher. She used a lot of her own money to buy curriculum and school supplies (as many have to do) and she loved her kids! Unfortunately she got paid next to nothing and had to deal with too much red tape as it is in many states.I work with teachers, schools, and districts constantly working for OfficeMax. Tell me why someone responsible for 30 childrens futures can get paid $20k a year, treated like dirt by adminstration and parents, be expected to mold and teach these children, and not all get those great benefits you were referring, but yet we pay a football/baseball/basketball (etc) player who sits on the sidelines millions?And what about the parents? They have a responsibility to the kids and teachers as well. Many drop their children off at school and expect the teacher to now raise them. Can you raise 30 kids at once? I can't. Parents need to be more involved and need to support these teachers as well. (Not saying that some do not) Reinforce at home. Work with the teachers. Let them know what you expect from them and ask them what they need from you.Social workers, same thing! Some are great and get nothing for their troubles. No money and lots of red tape. Some are the worst thing out there and get to live riding high.Oh I could go on forever!The system is broken and I fear will never be fixed!Nikki , "Lynda" <lurine@s...> wrote:> Wellll, having worked for school districts and DH worked for school > districts, I can tell that generally speaking teachers are grossly over > paid! Further, if you have any daughters, I'd suggest before you send them > to any public school that you spend some time in the teachers' lounge and > listen to the male teachers discuss them!> > And, please don't bother telling me about their salaries. What they neglect > to tell the general public is that over an above their salaries they have > the absolute best medical plan in the nation which included full medical for > them and their families, plus dental plus vision for them and their > families, the best sick leave, the best vacation plan, the best retirement > plan, the best, bar none, "perks" plans which include paid time to take ECUs > plus having the classes paid for, plus, plus, plus.> > Of course, they don't mention that when they want more money. Time for them > to be paid for ability to teach, not just because they have been collecting > a pay check for x number of years. And it is time that tenure was deep > sixed!> > The state of educatio in the U.S. is dismal and it is due to the quality of > the teachers!> > Lynda

No where according to the NEA's survey from last year. Their current year survey is not out but believe if any district was paying that for a credentialed teacher they'd be out there screaming!

Lynda

-

lv2breathe

Cc: Lv2breathe

Thursday, September 15, 2005 2:26 PM

Re: teachers

Where are credentialed teachers paid only 20,000 a year?

I mean full on credentialed teachers, not aids.

Kristina

In a message dated 9/15/05 8:59:19 AM Pacific Daylight Time, writes:

Message: 8 Thu, 15 Sep 2005 11:13:30 -0000 "earthstrm" <nikkimackTeachers etc Re: don't feed the childrenUm, I agree with both you and Fraggle. I think it goes without saying that in every profession there is good and bad.Some teachers get paid next to nothing and they are responsible for our future! And that's the truth. And some of these teachers are the best there are. Sorry, $20k a year to teach my child is not enough in my eyes. Not if you are doing your job.And then some get paid over $60k a year and have no clue what they are doing.I just read an article in Readers Digest about one said teacher who made $62,000 a year and failed his exams 3 times! The third time he failed because he got caught cheating. He had a fake ID made up for a friend of his with his name and sent him to take the test for him! And do these teachers get suspended if they fail? Nope.My sis-in-law was a teacher. She used a lot of her own money to buy curriculum and school supplies (as many have to do) and she loved her kids! Unfortunately she got paid next to nothing and had to deal with too much red tape as it is in many states.I work with teachers, schools, and districts constantly working for OfficeMax. Tell me why someone responsible for 30 childrens futures can get paid $20k a year, treated like dirt by adminstration and parents, be expected to mold and teach these children, and not all get those great benefits you were referring, but yet we pay a football/baseball/basketball (etc) player who sits on the sidelines millions?And what about the parents? They have a responsibility to the kids and teachers as well. Many drop their children off at school and expect the teacher to now raise them. Can you raise 30 kids at once? I can't. Parents need to be more involved and need to support these teachers as well. (Not saying that some do not) Reinforce at home. Work with the teachers. Let them know what you expect from them and ask them what they need from you.Social workers, same thing! Some are great and get nothing for their troubles. No money and lots of red tape. Some are the worst thing out there and get to live riding high.Oh I could go on forever!The system is broken and I fear will never be fixed!Nikki , "Lynda" <lurine@s...> wrote:> Wellll, having worked for school districts and DH worked for school > districts, I can tell that generally speaking teachers are grossly over > paid! Further, if you have any daughters, I'd suggest before you send them > to any public school that you spend some time in the teachers' lounge and > listen to the male teachers discuss them!> > And, please don't bother telling me about their salaries. What they neglect > to tell the general public is that over an above their salaries they have > the absolute best medical plan in the nation which included full medical for > them and their families, plus dental plus vision for them and their > families, the best sick leave, the best vacation plan, the best retirement > plan, the best, bar none, "perks" plans which include paid time to take ECUs > plus having the classes paid for, plus, plus, plus.> > Of course, they don't mention that when they want more money. Time for them > to be paid for ability to teach, not just because they have been collecting > a pay check for x number of years. And it is time that tenure was deep > sixed!> > The state of educatio in the U.S. is dismal and it is due to the quality of > the teachers!> > Lynda

Chicago, IL and surrounding areas.

Not all at $20, but some not much more than that. Depends on the the

teacher/school/district etc.

Nikki

, lv2breathe@a... wrote:

>

> Where are credentialed teachers paid only 20,000 a year?

>

> I mean full on credentialed teachers, not aids.

>

> Kristina

>

Hmmm... I wonder if that is why Chicago School teachers and many

suburban go on strike almost every year?

Nikki :)

, " Lynda " <lurine@s...> wrote:

> No where according to the NEA's survey from last year. Their

current year survey is not out but believe if any district was

paying that for a credentialed teacher they'd be out there screaming!

>

> Lynda

> -

> lv2breathe@a...

>

> Cc: Lv2breathe@a...

> Thursday, September 15, 2005 2:26 PM

> Re: teachers

>

>

> Where are credentialed teachers paid only 20,000 a year?

>

> I mean full on credentialed teachers, not aids.

>

> Kristina

>

The average salary in Chicago in 2003/2004 was $62,241. The average for the

state was $54,897.

The average salary for a teacher with a BA was $44,842, with a Masters was

$63,371 and with a PhD was $73,519.

Illinois is divided up into regions (Northeast, Northwest, W. Central, E.

Central, Southwest and Southeast). The Northwest region had the highest

median salary ($76,570) and the W. Central had the lowest median salary

($51,0989).

71.3% of all the school districts reimbursed teachers for college expenses.

97.2% had personal/emergency paid leave. 1.5% had merit salary and 13.7%

had severance pay.

The lowest salary paid to an elementary teacher in IL is $21,000. That is

for a BA with

no experience in a school with less than 500 students. In districts with

12,000 or more students the base (minimum salary) is $33,506.

The lowest salary paid to a secondary teacher (BA no experience) is $25,261.

And the lowest salary paid to a " Unit " district (haven't a clue what that is

<g>) teacher with a BA is $21,965.

The highest scheduled teacher's salary in IL is $102,615.

Lynda

-

" earthstrm " <nikkimack

Monday, September 19, 2005 4:22 AM

> Chicago, IL and surrounding areas.

>

> Not all at $20, but some not much more than that. Depends on the the

> teacher/school/district etc.

>

> Nikki

>

>

> , lv2breathe@a... wrote:

>>

>> Where are credentialed teachers paid only 20,000 a year?

>>

>> I mean full on credentialed teachers, not aids.

>>

>> Kristina

>>

To send an email to -

>

Thx for all the info!

I think the majority of the higher salaries are

colleges/universities. But it is all good to know.

I must be bad luck for the teachers I know.

;)

Nikki

, " Lynda " <lurine@s...> wrote:

> The average salary in Chicago in 2003/2004 was $62,241. The

average for the

> state was $54,897.

>

> The average salary for a teacher with a BA was $44,842, with a

Masters was

> $63,371 and with a PhD was $73,519.

>

> Illinois is divided up into regions (Northeast, Northwest, W.

Central, E.

> Central, Southwest and Southeast). The Northwest region had the

highest

> median salary ($76,570) and the W. Central had the lowest median

salary

> ($51,0989).

>

> 71.3% of all the school districts reimbursed teachers for college

expenses.

> 97.2% had personal/emergency paid leave. 1.5% had merit salary

and 13.7%

> had severance pay.

>

> The lowest salary paid to an elementary teacher in IL is $21,000.

That is

> for a BA with

> no experience in a school with less than 500 students. In

districts with

> 12,000 or more students the base (minimum salary) is $33,506.

>

> The lowest salary paid to a secondary teacher (BA no experience)

is $25,261.

>

> And the lowest salary paid to a " Unit " district (haven't a clue

what that is

> <g>) teacher with a BA is $21,965.

>

> The highest scheduled teacher's salary in IL is $102,615.

>

> Lynda

Those I listed are strickly for elementary and secondary schools. Colleges

are a different survey.

Lynda

-

" earthstrm " <nikkimack

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 5:15 PM

> Thx for all the info!

>

> I think the majority of the higher salaries are

> colleges/universities. But it is all good to know.

>

> I must be bad luck for the teachers I know.

> ;)

>

> Nikki

>

> , " Lynda " <lurine@s...> wrote:

>> The average salary in Chicago in 2003/2004 was $62,241. The

> average for the

>> state was $54,897.

>>

>> The average salary for a teacher with a BA was $44,842, with a

> Masters was

>> $63,371 and with a PhD was $73,519.

>>

>> Illinois is divided up into regions (Northeast, Northwest, W.

> Central, E.

>> Central, Southwest and Southeast). The Northwest region had the

> highest

>> median salary ($76,570) and the W. Central had the lowest median

> salary

>> ($51,0989).

>>

>> 71.3% of all the school districts reimbursed teachers for college

> expenses.

>> 97.2% had personal/emergency paid leave. 1.5% had merit salary

> and 13.7%

>> had severance pay.

>>

>> The lowest salary paid to an elementary teacher in IL is $21,000.

> That is

>> for a BA with

>> no experience in a school with less than 500 students. In

> districts with

>> 12,000 or more students the base (minimum salary) is $33,506.

>>

>> The lowest salary paid to a secondary teacher (BA no experience)

> is $25,261.

>>

>> And the lowest salary paid to a " Unit " district (haven't a clue

> what that is

>> <g>) teacher with a BA is $21,965.

>>

>> The highest scheduled teacher's salary in IL is $102,615.

>>

>> Lynda

>

To send an email to -

>