IndiaDivine.org

Do insects get angry?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

yellow jackets are wasps..there are several different species

pretty aggressive

the american hornet(bald faced hornet) is different then yer european hornet, and can be very aggressive when protectin its nest peter hurd Sep 17, 2005 1:53 PM Re: Do insects get angry?

Maybe the Welsh ones are more laid back than the ones over there! I once found a lovely fury bumble bee on the pavement. He was cold and tired, so I picked him up, and took him home to my garden ( and I took a lot of abuse from kids on my walk home). I put him on a flower in full sunlight, and within 5 minutes he had warmed up and buzzzed off. Mind you, I didnt get a single thank you from him! Dont know what a Yellow-Jacket is?, but I tend to keep away from wasps, dont seem to have any empathy with them.

The Valley Vegan...........Lynda <lurine wrote:

Well, come on out and visit and I'd be happy to introduce you to some very angry bees, hornets and wasps. Oh, and yellow-jackets. We seem to have more than our share of bees with an attitude!

Lynda

-

I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can still do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.

In 1978 we had bees attack a yearling colt. He was wandering around the backyard (we'd turn the babies out there to eat down the grass) and we heard this god awful squealing. We ran out to find him covered with bees. We turned the hose on him and beat on him with the blanket. The vet said he'd never seen a horse survive the number of stings the colt had.

Lynda

-

Jo Cwazy

Saturday, September 17, 2005 2:08 PM

Re: Do insects get angry?

I'd agree with that. Bees just have a quick look at you and then go about their business but wasps are terrible.

Jo

hmmmm

a tad early then

the first detected africanized bees in the US didn't occur til 1990, and that was in texas, then they quickly went throught out tejas and into arizona

they spent millions tryin to stop there spread up thru central america in the 1970's..didn't work

maybe the colt just stepped on a nest er something?

that sorta attack from non africanized bees sounds sorta strange

fraggle Lynda Sep 19, 2005 10:17 AM Re: Do insects get angry?

This was in 78 or 79.

Lynda

I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can still do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.

That is what bothered the bee catching guy. There was no nest for him to step on. The neighbor saw them bussing around his backyard (these were five acre parcels) and then they "attached" the colt.

When the bee guy came out they were zinging at anything that moved. We brought all the horses in and locked them in their stalls. The neighbor brought his goats in and locked them up.

The bee guy said they were way to aggressive and he wouldn't be able to sell them as a hive. I think he took them out in the sticks and left them.

Lynda

-

fraggle

Monday, September 19, 2005 10:36 AM

Re: Do insects get angry?

hmmmm

a tad early then

the first detected africanized bees in the US didn't occur til 1990, and that was in texas, then they quickly went throught out tejas and into arizona

they spent millions tryin to stop there spread up thru central america in the 1970's..didn't work

maybe the colt just stepped on a nest er something?

that sorta attack from non africanized bees sounds sorta strange

fraggle Lynda Sep 19, 2005 10:17 AM Re: Do insects get angry?

This was in 78 or 79.

Lynda