Rate this topic

Guest guest

Is there vegan Beeno <<bg>>

Lynda

-

Jo Cwazy

Saturday, September 17, 2005 10:30 AM

Eat More Beans

A diet rich in beans, nuts and cereals could be a way to prevent cancer, believe UK researchers.

Scientists at University College London have discovered that these everyday foods contain a potent anti-cancer compound.

This blocks a key enzyme involved in tumour growth, they told Cancer Research journal.

The researchers say, in the future, it might be possible to mimic this compound in an anti-cancer drug.

Our study suggests the importance of a diet enriched in foods such as beans, nuts and cereals which could help prevent cancer

Researcher Dr Marco Falasca

Scientists have been exploring the enzyme phosphoinositide 3-kinase as a target for cancer treatment for some time but inhibitors have been difficult to develop because of problems with chemical stability and toxicity.

Dr Marco Falasca and colleagues have discovered that a natural compound, called inositol pentakisphosphate, which is found in most legumes as well as in wheat bran and nuts, blocks the activity of the enzyme.

When they tested its action in mice with ovarian and lung cancer they found it not only blocked tumour growth but also enhanced the effect of other cancer-killing drugs.

In addition, it appeared to be non-toxic, unlike conventional chemotherapy agents.

Dr Falasca said: "Our study suggests the importance of a diet enriched in foods such as beans, nuts and cereals which could help prevent cancer.

"Our work will now focus on establishing whether the phosphate inhibitor can be developed into an anti-cancer agent for human therapy.

"We believe that inositol pentakisphosphate is a promising anti-cancer tool and we hope to bring it to clinical testing soon."

Henry Scowcroft of Cancer Research UK said: "It is always encouraging when a newly discovered chemical is shown to have anti-cancer activity in the laboratory, especially when it occurs naturally in foods like beans and peas.

"Obviously, the next step is to look at whether inositol pentakisphosphate is able to inhibit tumour growth in cancer patients, in properly controlled clinical trials."

He said researchers were also looking at whether people who eat more lentils, peas and beans are actually at lower risk of developing cancers

"What we do know already is that a diet that includes at least five portions of fruit and vegetables a day can help to reduce the risk of cancer."

Version: 7.0.344 / Virus Database: 267.11.1/104 - Release 9/16/2005

This is nothing new, there have been various studies over the last 10 years which have reached the same conclusion. Maybe someone will actually start listening to this one. The trouble is for every study that comes out in favour of one healthy lifestyle/ foodstuff, a counter study crops up ( usually funded by someone involved in the dairy or meat production or sugar industries) - or maybe I`m paranoid? Come on Fraggle, what am I today?

The Valley Vegan..........Jo Cwazy <heartwork wrote:

A diet rich in beans, nuts and cereals could be a way to prevent cancer, believe UK researchers.

Scientists at University College London have discovered that these everyday foods contain a potent anti-cancer compound.

This blocks a key enzyme involved in tumour growth, they told Cancer Research journal.

The researchers say, in the future, it might be possible to mimic this compound in an anti-cancer drug.

Our study suggests the importance of a diet enriched in foods such as beans, nuts and cereals which could help prevent cancer

Scientists have been exploring the enzyme phosphoinositide 3-kinase as a target for cancer treatment for some time but inhibitors have been difficult to develop because of problems with chemical stability and toxicity.

Dr Marco Falasca and colleagues have discovered that a natural compound, called inositol pentakisphosphate, which is found in most legumes as well as in wheat bran and nuts, blocks the activity of the enzyme.

When they tested its action in mice with ovarian and lung cancer they found it not only blocked tumour growth but also enhanced the effect of other cancer-killing drugs.

In addition, it appeared to be non-toxic, unlike conventional chemotherapy agents.

Dr Falasca said: "Our study suggests the importance of a diet enriched in foods such as beans, nuts and cereals which could help prevent cancer.

"Our work will now focus on establishing whether the phosphate inhibitor can be developed into an anti-cancer agent for human therapy.

"We believe that inositol pentakisphosphate is a promising anti-cancer tool and we hope to bring it to clinical testing soon."

Henry Scowcroft of Cancer Research UK said: "It is always encouraging when a newly discovered chemical is shown to have anti-cancer activity in the laboratory, especially when it occurs naturally in foods like beans and peas.

"Obviously, the next step is to look at whether inositol pentakisphosphate is able to inhibit tumour growth in cancer patients, in properly controlled clinical trials."

He said researchers were also looking at whether people who eat more lentils, peas and beans are actually at lower risk of developing cancers

"What we do know already is that a diet that includes at least five portions of fruit and vegetables a day can help to reduce the risk of cancer."

Peter H

How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Photos. Get Photos

I remember reading about - can't remember the actor's name - the chap who played Starbuck in Battlestar Galactica and Face in The A Team. Apparently he had cancer and was told he had six months to live. He decided to walk across America and lived on only beans. When he next had a checkup the cancer had gone.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Saturday, September 17, 2005 9:44 PM

Re: Eat More Beans

This is nothing new, there have been various studies over the last 10 years which have reached the same conclusion. Maybe someone will actually start listening to this one. The trouble is for every study that comes out in favour of one healthy lifestyle/ foodstuff, a counter study crops up ( usually funded by someone involved in the dairy or meat production or sugar industries) - or maybe I`m paranoid? Come on Fraggle, what am I today?

Peter H

How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Photos. Get Photos

nope...not in the US anyways

try cookin em with ginger powder, fresh ginger, er add some vinegar to the water Lynda Sep 17, 2005 12:39 PM Re: Eat More Beans

Lynda

-

Jo Cwazy

Eat More Beans

To send an email to -

i've found a vegan version of beano... www.bean-zyme.com ... haven't tried it, but it claims to be as effective.. i think it's from california

i usually by dry beans and soak them overnight, discard that water and then boil in fresh water... also caraway seeds help... also read that adding baking soda when boiling is supposed to be goodfraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

try cookin em with ginger powder, fresh ginger, er add some vinegar to the water Lynda Sep 17, 2005 12:39 PM Re: Eat More Beans

Lynda

-

Jo Cwazy

Eat More Beans

To send an email to -

dirk benedict Jo Cwazy Sep 17, 2005 2:12 PM Re: Eat More Beans

I remember reading about - can't remember the actor's name - the chap who played Starbuck in Battlestar Galactica and Face in The A Team. Apparently he had cancer and was told he had six months to live. He decided to walk across America and lived on only beans. When he next had a checkup the cancer had gone.

I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can still do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.

That's the chap - I should have looked on IMdb.

Jo

-

fraggle

Saturday, September 17, 2005 11:35 PM

I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can still do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.

Ah - now I know what you are all talking about. Beans don't seem to make me windy.

Jo

-

ank_art

Saturday, September 17, 2005 11:31 PM

i've found a vegan version of beano... www.bean-zyme.com ... haven't tried it, but it claims to be as effective.. i think it's from california

i usually by dry beans and soak them overnight, discard that water and then boil in fresh water... also caraway seeds help... also read that adding baking soda when boiling is supposed to be goodfraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

Lynda

-

Jo Cwazy

Eat More Beans

To send an email to -

He adheres to a microbiotic diet and says that is what cured him. He lives in Montana and wrote a book "Confessions of a Kamikaze Cowboy" which includes how he "cured" his cancer.

Lynda

-

Jo Cwazy

Saturday, September 17, 2005 2:12 PM

Jo

-

peter hurd

Peter H

Thanks Lynda - I'll add that to my 'books to read' list.

Jo

-

Lynda

Sunday, September 18, 2005 5:08 AM

He adheres to a microbiotic diet and says that is what cured him. He lives in Montana and wrote a book "Confessions of a Kamikaze Cowboy" which includes how he "cured" his cancer.

Lynda

-

Jo Cwazy

Saturday, September 17, 2005 2:12 PM

Jo

-

peter hurd

Peter H

Is there no end to your vast knowledge ( or search engine!)

The Valley Vegan........fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can still do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.Peter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.

Fennel seeds also help.

The Valley Vegan..........ank_art <ank_art wrote:

Lynda

-

Jo Cwazy

Eat More Beans

To send an email to -

i just happened to like battlestar galatica when i was a wee fraggle....

and, have a certain way of holdin in vast sums of absolutely worthless knowledge.... peter hurd Sep 18, 2005 9:58 AM Re: Eat More Beans

Is there no end to your vast knowledge ( or search engine!)

The Valley Vegan........fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

Peter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre. To send an email to -

what's wrong with farting?

I usually don't care if someone farts, it is isn't too offensive and usually it isn't.

-anouk

-

peter hurd

9/18/2005 1:59:45 PM

Fennel seeds also help.

Lynda

Well, in this house we have always said that we will never have to worry about an invasion because all we'd have to do is have Son #3, Kidlet #5 and Orphan Kris stay in the same room with the invaders for one night after serving beans!

They would be our secret weapon! Why, if we could bottle it and drop it on the White House that would be the end of all the slimeball politicians! It isn't only the 4-legged skunks that run the other direction after the boys indulge in beans!

Lynda

-

zurumato

Sunday, September 18, 2005 6:14 PM

what's wrong with farting?

I usually don't care if someone farts, it is isn't too offensive and usually it isn't.

-anouk

-

peter hurd

9/18/2005 1:59:45 PM

Fennel seeds also help.

Lynda

wow! I can almost smell that!

my little boy used to love the word fart and buggers when he was five. He would think them the funniest things.

I though it was a phase that he would (gladly) get over because It got annoying after a while.

however he still stinks its hilarously funny when someone says the word or does it.

-anouk

-

Lynda

9/18/2005 9:25:46 PM

Well, in this house we have always said that we will never have to worry about an invasion because all we'd have to do is have Son #3, Kidlet #5 and Orphan Kris stay in the same room with the invaders for one night after serving beans!

They would be our secret weapon! Why, if we could bottle it and drop it on the White House that would be the end of all the slimeball politicians! It isn't only the 4-legged skunks that run the other direction after the boys indulge in beans!

Lynda

It does not make for a good first impression when I am on appointments

with a new customer.

Nikki :)

, " zurumato@e... " <zurumato@e...>

wrote:

> what's wrong with farting?

> I usually don't care if someone farts, it is isn't too offensive

and usually it isn't.

> -anouk