it! :)

I had a bad allergic reaction when I was young to a sting of some

sort and now still panic to this day. I try my best to send the good

vibes to the wasps etc., but I think the neighbors and DH pay them

to bully me.

Nikki :)

, " Lynda " <lurine@s...> wrote:

> Well, come on out and visit and I'd be happy to introduce you to

some very angry bees, hornets and wasps. Oh, and yellow-jackets.

We seem to have more than our share of bees with an attitude!

>

> Lynda

> -

> peter hurd

>

> Saturday, September 17, 2005 1:20 PM

> Re: Do insects get angry?

>

>

> I find that as a rule, bees seldom get angry. It doesnt seem to

be in their nature - especially bumble bees. Hornets are seldom a

problem as they are not that common. Wasps , on the other hand,

always seem to be looking for an argument?

>

> That Valley Vegan............

>

I believe this, I once read a story about a homeless man who found an abandoned

house in the woods. This house was in poor condition and a hive of bees had made their nest inside it.

They would come in through the many holes and broken windows.

The man lived in this abandoned house for five years and he never bothered or couldn't care less that he

was living with bees,

This house helped him get a job and he began to improve his life. He met a lady and they fell in love.

She decided to move into the house as she saw that it had a lot of potential. When the bees saw that she started doing

repairs and moving her things in, they attacked and killed her, while he watched helplessly. The man was not stung once.

-anouk

-

earthstrm

9/20/2005 8:18:24 AM

Bees et all Re: Do insects get angry?

Perhaps it is the way that you approach them. Bees et al can sense your presence and your mood even if you are walking across the other side of the yard. If you "talk" to them silently and send good vibes they leave you alone usually.I've found that our "bumblers" never do bother me. They are the only "bee" (using general term here) that I am unafraid of and can communicate nicely with. I can work on my mater plant inches from them and need not worry.Now our wasps and jackets on the other hand know that I am terrified of them and seem to like to taunt me. And so I do the "Crazy Lady Bee Dance" screaming all the way into the house. The neighbors love it! :)I had a bad allergic reaction when I was young to a sting of some sort and now still panic to this day. I try my best to send the good vibes to the wasps etc., but I think the neighbors and DH pay them to bully me.Nikki :)

um...

by the way..

I have heard that you are not supposed to make movements around bees.

Because they only see rapid movement, so the faster you move the more they see you.

I think you are supposed to walk away slowly. at least this is what I have heard.

um... by the way

what is a mater plant? i know in ny, we say tomaters, but wasn't sure.

-anouk

-

earthstrm

9/20/2005 8:18:24 AM

Bees et all Re: Do insects get angry?

Perhaps it is the way that you approach them. Bees et al can sense your presence and your mood even if you are walking across the other side of the yard. If you "talk" to them silently and send good vibes they leave you alone usually.I've found that our "bumblers" never do bother me. They are the only "bee" (using general term here) that I am unafraid of and can communicate nicely with. I can work on my mater plant inches from them and need not worry.Now our wasps and jackets on the other hand know that I am terrified of them and seem to like to taunt me. And so I do the "Crazy Lady Bee Dance" screaming all the way into the house. The neighbors love it! :)I had a bad allergic reaction when I was young to a sting of some sort and now still panic to this day. I try my best to send the good vibes to the wasps etc., but I think the neighbors and DH pay them to bully me.Nikki :) , "Lynda" <lurine@s...> wrote:> Well, come on out and visit and I'd be happy to introduce you to some very angry bees, hornets and wasps. Oh, and yellow-jackets. We seem to have more than our share of bees with an attitude!> > Lynda> - > peter hurd > > Saturday, September 17, 2005 1:20 PM> Re: Do insects get angry?> > > I find that as a rule, bees seldom get angry. It doesnt seem to be in their nature - especially bumble bees. Hornets are seldom a problem as they are not that common. Wasps , on the other hand, always seem to be looking for an argument?> > That Valley Vegan............>

hi fraggle, I got my info on bees from this website, http://www.drgreene.com/21_213.html

here he says that rapid movement startles bees.

-anouk

To avoid attracting bees, try the following:

Avoid fragrances, including hair spray, scented soaps, lotions, and oils. Bees usually approach children with a sweet scent. Avon's Skin-So-Soft may make bees less apt to explore, and it is safe even on young children.

Don't wear brightly colored clothing, particularly floral patterns, i.e. don't look like a flower patch. Bees also see in the ultraviolet range. If the pattern lights up under black light, it is particularly interesting to bees.

Be very careful with food. Cans of soda are notorious: Bees climb in unobserved, and are frightened into stinging when the child drinks. Something as small as a forgotten raspberry jam stain on a sweater can be a problem.

If a bee does land, take steps to avoid frightening it:

Hold still. Tell kids to pretend they're statues. Rapid movement startles the bee and encourages stinging.

Try blowing gently on the bee. This can encourage it to move on while not startling it.

Wear shoes. Bees will of course be frightened if you step on or near them. Shoes don't make them less frightened, but they do protect feet from frightened bees.

Wear long pants when you know you are going to be in an area that is likely to have bees in it, such as a field.

Wear a hat. Furry animals steal honey from bees. Bees are in a heightened state of readiness when they are close to hair or fur. They have been proven to have a lower threshold for stinging people with hats.

Alan Greene MD FAAP

-

fraggle

9/20/2005 11:07:15 AM

RE: Bees et all Re: Do insects get angry?

yes maters are tomatoes..

and, the not running i don't think really will work...

while running may excite say a wasp er the like, if the wasp, hornet or bee is pissed at you because you intruded on its territory, standing still is probably the worse thing you could do

if they are africanzied bees, not gettin the ehck out of there fast could be extremely dangerous

now..if you are just hanging out, and a wasp er wotever flies past and sniffs at ya, standing still and calm is fine...

i find talking to em seems to work..go figure...

but..bees and wasps have excellent vision, and can scent you with their antennae and other means..if they are angry, shambling away is just gonna get you stung

if they are arricanized honeybees..run..find shelter inside a building..do not pass go, do not collect $200

and fer the love of bacchus don't dive into a pool of water..the bees can outwait yer breathe

fraggle "zurumato" Sep 20, 2005 6:58 AM RE: Bees et all Re: Do insects get angry?

um...

by the way..

I have heard that you are not supposed to make movements around bees.

Because they only see rapid movement, so the faster you move the more they see you.

I think you are supposed to walk away slowly. at least this is what I have heard.

um... by the way

what is a mater plant? i know in ny, we say tomaters, but wasn't sure.

-anouk