IndiaDivine.org

The Gods Must be Crazy

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Speaking of which, has anyone seen The Gods Must be Crazy? Is that based on a real tribe?fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

ummmthere's plenty of evidence, both archaelogical and oral traditions, that native first nationers scalped..there have been many preserved scalps found...the europeans actually collected heads, and only switched to scalps when they went "hey, these are much easier to carry around then the whole dang noggin"and, europeans(and natives) got bounties for scalps before the french and indian wars.....everyone has wars...everyone..even the first nations....sure..there were some societies/tribes which frowned on it, were pacifists, etci can find the same thing throught out history all over the globe*shrug*but in general humans have always been really good at whackin each other off...heck..half the *common* names we use for native tribes translate vaguely into "those assh*les over there"Lynda

<lurineSep 21, 2005 9:56 AM Subject: Re: Re: Vegan grammarEqual rights before the rest of the world had heard of the phrase. Every single member had the right to voice opinions and to be actually HEARD when there was a decision to be made. There were no chiefs. There were elders and medicine folks (usually female, which my great-grandmothers were).It is a concept totally contrary to what the white folks could understand and I can understand the scepticism and questioning. However, it worked and would still be working if there wasn't wholesale slaughter.History is told from the viewpoint of the winnner. The white man is the winner and it soothes his conscience to make all Indians look like blood thirsty savages. White men had wars and killed each other off, so the Indians couldn't have been better people, so they

must have "all" had wars and killed each other off. Makes much better reading and movies.BTW, scalping, contrary to popular belief was NOT an Indian thing. It was brought about during the French and Indian wars (which was actually a war between the French and British) and the French and British wanted "proof" in the form of scalps to prove when an Indian had killed someone. Just one more thing written from the white CYA perspective.Lynda- "heartwerk" <heartwork> It sounds a little too good to me. Every civilisation I have heard> of has rape and murder, even the remote areas. Were women equal in> your old society? If not that could explain the absence of the> word 'rape'. Rape of a spouse has become a crime here only over the> last few decades.>> I know film-makers tend to be biased, but

in the films there seem toI am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can still do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.Jonnie

yes..and thats wot my joke/aside as based on Jonnie Hellens Sep 22, 2005 10:02 AM The Gods Must be Crazy

Speaking of which, has anyone seen The Gods Must be Crazy? Is that based on a real tribe?fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: ummmthere's plenty of evidence, both archaelogical and oral traditions, that native first nationers scalped..there have been many preserved scalps found...the europeans actually collected heads, and only switched to scalps when they went "hey, these are much easier to carry around then the whole dang noggin"and, europeans(and natives) got bounties for scalps before the french and indian wars.....everyone has wars...everyone..even the first nations....sure..there were some societies/tribes which frowned on it, were pacifists, etci can find the same thing throught out history all over the globe*shrug*but in general humans have always been really good at whackin each other off...heck..half the *common* names we use for native tribes translate vaguely into "those assh*les over there"Lynda <lurineSep 21, 2005 9:56 AM Subject: Re: Re: Vegan grammarEqual rights before the rest of the world had heard of the phrase. Every single member had the right to voice opinions and to be actually HEARD when there was a decision to be made. There were no chiefs. There were elders and medicine folks (usually female, which my great-grandmothers were).It is a concept totally contrary to what the white folks could understand and I can understand the scepticism and questioning. However, it worked and would still be working if there wasn't wholesale slaughter.History is told from the viewpoint of the winnner. The white man is the winner and it soothes his conscience to make all Indians look like blood thirsty savages. White men had wars and killed each other off, so the Indians couldn't have been better people, so they must have "all" had wars and killed each other off. Makes much better reading and movies.BTW, scalping, contrary to popular belief was NOT an Indian thing. It was brought about during the French and Indian wars (which was actually a war between the French and British) and the French and British wanted "proof" in the form of scalps to prove when an Indian had killed someone. Just one more thing written from the white CYA perspective.Lynda- "heartwerk" <heartwork> It sounds a little too good to me. Every civilisation I have heard> of has rape and murder, even the remote areas. Were women equal in> your old society? If not that could explain the absence of the> word 'rape'. Rape of a spouse has become a crime here only over the> last few decades.>> I know film-makers tend to be biased, but in the films there seem toI am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can still do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.Jonnie

To send an email to -

Yes,

the, !kung of the kalahari desert, here is a link to the !Kung.

http://www.ucc.uconn.edu/~epsadm03/kung.html

-anouk

-

Jonnie Hellens

9/22/2005 1:02:59 PM

The Gods Must be Crazy

Speaking of which, has anyone seen The Gods Must be Crazy? Is that based on a real tribe?fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: ummmthere's plenty of evidence, both archaelogical and oral traditions, that native first nationers scalped..there have been many preserved scalps found...the europeans actually collected heads, and only switched to scalps when they went "hey, these are much easier to carry around then the whole dang noggin"and, europeans(and natives) got bounties for scalps before the french and indian wars.....everyone has wars...everyone..even the first nations....sure..there were some societies/tribes which frowned on it, were pacifists, etci can find the same thing throught out history all over the globe*shrug*but in general humans have always been really good at whackin each other off...heck..half the *common* names we use for native tribes translate vaguely into "those assh*les over there"Lynda <lurineSep 21, 2005 9:56 AM Subject: Re: Re: Vegan grammar

Weird, I'm (as I said before) way behind in my email and I keep posting way too late what y'all have posted. Then I feel silly as I read that y'all went down the path I belatedly went.... (sheepishly walking off while talking - and answering - herself....)fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

yes..and thats wot my joke/aside as based on Jonnie Hellens Sep 22, 2005 10:02 AM The Gods Must be Crazy

Speaking of which, has anyone seen The Gods Must be Crazy? Is that based on a real tribe?fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: ummmthere's plenty of evidence, both archaelogical and oral traditions, that native first nationers scalped..there have been many preserved scalps found...the europeans actually collected heads, and only switched to scalps when they went "hey, these are much easier to carry around then the whole dang noggin"and, europeans(and natives) got bounties for scalps before the french and indian wars.....everyone has wars...everyone..even the first nations....sure..there were some societies/tribes which frowned on it, were pacifists, etci can find the same thing throught out history all over the globe*shrug*but in general humans have always been really good at whackin each other off...heck..half the *common* names we use for native tribes translate vaguely into "those assh*les over there"Lynda

<lurineSep 21, 2005 9:56 AM Subject: Re: Re: Vegan grammarEqual rights before the rest of the world had heard of the phrase. Every single member had the right to voice opinions and to be actually HEARD when there was a decision to be made. There were no chiefs. There were elders and medicine folks (usually female, which my great-grandmothers were).It is a concept totally contrary to what the white folks could understand and I can understand the scepticism and questioning. However, it worked and would still be working if there wasn't wholesale slaughter.History is told from the viewpoint of the winnner. The white man is the winner and it soothes his conscience to make all Indians look like blood thirsty savages. White men had wars and killed each other off, so the Indians couldn't have been better people, so they

must have "all" had wars and killed each other off. Makes much better reading and movies.BTW, scalping, contrary to popular belief was NOT an Indian thing. It was brought about during the French and Indian wars (which was actually a war between the French and British) and the French and British wanted "proof" in the form of scalps to prove when an Indian had killed someone. Just one more thing written from the white CYA perspective.Lynda- "heartwerk" <heartwork> It sounds a little too good to me. Every civilisation I have heard> of has rape and murder, even the remote areas. Were women equal in> your old society? If not that could explain the absence of the> word 'rape'. Rape of a spouse has become a crime here only over the> last few decades.>> I know film-makers tend to be biased, but

in the films there seem toI am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can still do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.Jonnie To send an email to -

Don't worry about that Jonnie - it happens to all of us.

BBJo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Thursday, September 22, 2005 9:23 PM

Re: The Gods Must be Crazy

Weird, I'm (as I said before) way behind in my email and I keep posting way too late what y'all have posted. Then I feel silly as I read that y'all went down the path I belatedly went.... (sheepishly walking off while talking - and answering - herself....)

I love their language. I wonder how you pronounce the ! and the /?"zurumato" <zurumato wrote:

Yes,

-anouk

-

Jonnie Hellens

The Gods Must be Crazy

Speaking of which, has anyone seen The Gods Must be Crazy? Is that based on a real tribe?fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: ummmthere's plenty of evidence, both archaelogical and oral traditions, that native first nationers scalped..there have been many preserved scalps found...the europeans actually collected heads, and only switched to scalps when they went "hey, these are much easier to carry around then the whole dang noggin"and, europeans(and natives) got bounties for scalps before the french and indian wars.....everyone has wars...everyone..even the first nations....sure..there were some societies/tribes which frowned on it, were pacifists, etci can find the same thing throught out history all over the globe*shrug*but in general humans have always been really good at whackin each other off...heck..half the *common* names we use for native tribes translate vaguely into "those assh*les over there"Lynda

<lurineSep 21, 2005 9:56 AM Subject: Re: Re: Vegan grammarJonnie

for Good Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

hi jonnie,

one of my favorite college professors, his name is candelario saenz,

spent many years living with these people and he brought back home video

film which he would show in our anthropology class.

They way they talk, sounds like a click, it sounds very interesting when they are speaking fast.

It is the sound made when the tongue hits the upper part of the inside of your mouth and released fast. I can't quite

reproduce it since, sometimes it sounds nasal.

This language is called the !Xu language, and is part of the khoisan linguistic family. can you tell i got an A in that class : )

more information can be found in wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/!X%C5%A9

-anouk

-

Jonnie Hellens

9/22/2005 4:35:00 PM

RE: The Gods Must be Crazy

I love their language. I wonder how you pronounce the ! and the /?"zurumato" <zurumato wrote:

Yes,

-anouk

-

Jonnie Hellens

The Gods Must be Crazy

Speaking of which, has anyone seen The Gods Must be Crazy? Is that based on a real tribe?

I have and I really enjoyed it! It brings a very fresh and amazing

perspective to things we know as " everyday items " .

I thought it was true, and if not, can imagine it to be.

It was amazing all the uses they found for the coke bottle though!

Nikki :)

, Jonnie Hellens

<jonnie_hellens> wrote:

> Speaking of which, has anyone seen The Gods Must be Crazy? Is that

based on a real tribe?

>

and wot happened to them?

they began to fight and bicker over the very limited resource...

ahem...

earthstrm <nikkimack

Sep 22, 2005 3:40 PM

Re: The Gods Must be Crazy

I have and I really enjoyed it! It brings a very fresh and amazing

perspective to things we know as " everyday items " .

I thought it was true, and if not, can imagine it to be.

It was amazing all the uses they found for the coke bottle though!

Nikki :)

, Jonnie Hellens

<jonnie_hellens> wrote:

> Speaking of which, has anyone seen The Gods Must be Crazy? Is that

based on a real tribe?

>

I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can still do

something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the

something that I can do.

Yeah, I remember being very impressed with that from The Gods Must be Crazy. I guess the ! and / are probably some sort of click. I also would guess when you grow up speaking that way, your tonge is more flexible. I'm hoping to find that movie on DVD as my son hasn't seen it. They came out with a sequel I thought was really good too, but not as good as the original."zurumato" <zurumato wrote:

hi jonnie,

one of my favorite college professors, his name is candelario saenz,

spent many years living with these people and he brought back home video

film which he would show in our anthropology class.

They way they talk, sounds like a click, it sounds very interesting when they are speaking fast.

It is the sound made when the tongue hits the upper part of the inside of your mouth and released fast. I can't quite

reproduce it since, sometimes it sounds nasal.

This language is called the !Xu language, and is part of the khoisan linguistic family. can you tell i got an A in that class : )

more information can be found in wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/!X%C5%A9

-anouk

-

Jonnie Hellens

9/22/2005 4:35:00 PM

RE: The Gods Must be Crazy

Yes,

-anouk

-

Jonnie Hellens

The Gods Must be Crazy

Speaking of which, has anyone seen The Gods Must be Crazy? Is that based on a real tribe?Jonnie

for Good Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.