anyways...i picked this up, and thought it sorta funny, in leiu of recent

discussions here

Teachers Have It Easy " : The Big Sacrifices and Small Salaries of America's

Teachers (Hardcover)

by Dave Eggers, Daniel Moulthrop, Ninive Clements Calegari

Editorial Reviews

From Publishers Weekly

Starred Review. This book provides a punchy, thoughtful look at the issues

surrounding teacher salaries in the public school system. And while it is openly

biased on the subject-the authors see salary reform as the best way to

ameliorate many of the problems facing America's public schools-this bias never

compromises its even-handed consideration of the current debate. In part, this

is because the authors wisely ground the book in the words and experiences of

teachers themselves. The stories of high ideals and hard work compromised by the

brutal conditions facing teachers speak for themselves, allowing the authors to

make their points by interspersing short passages that highlight the key issues

raised by the vignettes. Whether or not one agrees with their solutions, their

characterization of the problem is spot-on. Perhaps more valuable, however, is

their detailed discussion of actual school reform initiatives. Unlike most of

the problems treated here-low pay and little respect for teachers or resource

shortages in public schools-these incentives will not be familiar to most

readers. Each of them take different approaches to the problems facing public

schools and have had varying degrees of success, but all of them illustrate the

gains that can be made when committed educators and policymakers work together

with shared goals and community support. It's no accident that the book winds up

with this informative consideration of solutions (nor that it provides a rich

bibliography for further reading as well as contact lists of reform-minded

school districts, teacher recruitment agencies and a variety of educational

organizations) because in the end it is less a complaint than a call to action,

one that will appeal to a wide body of readers.

Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All

rights reserved.

I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can still do

something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the

something that I can do.

Yes you are. What do you do with all your old books? do you re-sell them,give them to charity shops or what? or do you live in some gothic mansion with a ginormous library?

I shall expect your book report in on Monday.

The Valley Vegan...........fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

so on my lunch break, i wandered on over to Cody's Booksand, 15 minutes later walked out with over $100 in booksargh!i can't afford thisbut..dang addictionsanyways...i picked this up, and thought it sorta funny, in leiu of recent discussions hereTeachers Have It Easy": The Big Sacrifices and Small Salaries of America's Teachers (Hardcover)by Dave Eggers, Daniel Moulthrop, Ninive Clements Calegari Editorial ReviewsFrom Publishers WeeklyStarred Review. This book provides a punchy, thoughtful look at the issues surrounding teacher salaries in the public school system. And while it is openly biased on the subject-the authors see salary reform as the best way to ameliorate many of the problems facing America's public schools-this bias never compromises its even-handed consideration of the current debate. In part, this is

because the authors wisely ground the book in the words and experiences of teachers themselves. The stories of high ideals and hard work compromised by the brutal conditions facing teachers speak for themselves, allowing the authors to make their points by interspersing short passages that highlight the key issues raised by the vignettes. Whether or not one agrees with their solutions, their characterization of the problem is spot-on. Perhaps more valuable, however, is their detailed discussion of actual school reform initiatives. Unlike most of the problems treated here-low pay and little respect for teachers or resource shortages in public schools-these incentives will not be familiar to most readers. Each of them take different approaches to the problems facing public schools and have had varying degrees of success, but all of them illustrate the gains that can be made when committed educators and policymakers work together with shared goals and community support. It's no

accident that the book winds up with this informative consideration of solutions (nor that it provides a rich bibliography for further reading as well as contact lists of reform-minded school districts, teacher recruitment agencies and a variety of educational organizations) because in the end it is less a complaint than a call to action, one that will appeal to a wide body of readers. Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can still do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.

depends

i generally tend to lend em out, never to be seen again....

i sold em a few times, but then kick myself heartily afterwards, when i decide i want to read em again

mostly...i just have stacks and stacks of books

and..report is gonna have to wait..i leave on monday fer a week in denver

fraggle peter hurd Sep 22, 2005 1:22 PM Re: gawd i'm a fool

Yes you are. What do you do with all your old books? do you re-sell them,give them to charity shops or what? or do you live in some gothic mansion with a ginormous library?

so on my lunch break, i wandered on over to Cody's Booksand, 15 minutes later walked out with over $100 in booksargh!i can't afford thisbut..dang addictionsanyways...i picked this up, and thought it sorta funny, in leiu of recent discussions hereTeachers Have It Easy": The Big Sacrifices and Small Salaries of America's Teachers (Hardcover)by Dave Eggers, Daniel Moulthrop, Ninive Clements Calegari Editorial ReviewsFrom Publishers WeeklyStarred Review. This book provides a punchy, thoughtful look at the issues surrounding teacher salaries in the public school system. And while it is openly biased on the subject-the authors see salary reform as the best way to ameliorate many of the problems facing America's public schools-this bias never compromises its even-handed consideration of the current debate. In part, this is because the authors wisely ground the book in the words and experiences of teachers themselves. The stories of high ideals and hard work compromised by the brutal conditions facing teachers speak for themselves, allowing the authors to make their points by interspersing short passages that highlight the key issues raised by the vignettes. Whether or not one agrees with their solutions, their characterization of the problem is spot-on. Perhaps more valuable, however, is their detailed discussion of actual school reform initiatives. Unlike most of the problems treated here-low pay and little respect for teachers or resource shortages in public schools-these incentives will not be familiar to most readers. Each of them take different approaches to the problems facing public schools and have had varying degrees of success, but all of them illustrate the gains that can be made when committed educators and policymakers work together with shared goals and community support. It's no accident that the book winds up with this informative consideration of solutions (nor that it provides a rich bibliography for further reading as well as contact lists of reform-minded school districts, teacher recruitment agencies and a variety of educational organizations) because in the end it is less a complaint than a call to action, one that will appeal to a wide body of readers. Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can still do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.

Denver?

Ye har!

depends

i sold em a few times, but then kick myself heartily afterwards, when i decide i want to read em again

so on my lunch break, i wandered on over to Cody's Booksand, 15 minutes later walked out with over $100 in booksargh!i can't afford thisbut..dang addictionsanyways...i picked this up, and thought it sorta funny, in leiu of recent discussions hereTeachers Have It Easy": The Big Sacrifices and Small Salaries of America's Teachers (Hardcover)by Dave Eggers, Daniel Moulthrop, Ninive Clements Calegari Editorial ReviewsFrom Publishers WeeklyStarred Review. This book provides a punchy, thoughtful look at the issues surrounding teacher salaries in the public school system. And while it is openly biased on the subject-the authors see salary reform as the best way to ameliorate many of the problems facing America's public schools-this bias never compromises its even-handed consideration of the current debate. In part, this is

because the authors wisely ground the book in the words and experiences of teachers themselves. The stories of high ideals and hard work compromised by the brutal conditions facing teachers speak for themselves, allowing the authors to make their points by interspersing short passages that highlight the key issues raised by the vignettes. Whether or not one agrees with their solutions, their characterization of the problem is spot-on. Perhaps more valuable, however, is their detailed discussion of actual school reform initiatives. Unlike most of the problems treated here-low pay and little respect for teachers or resource shortages in public schools-these incentives will not be familiar to most readers. Each of them take different approaches to the problems facing public schools and have had varying degrees of success, but all of them illustrate the gains that can be made when committed educators and policymakers work together with shared goals and community support. It's no

accident that the book winds up with this informative consideration of solutions (nor that it provides a rich bibliography for further reading as well as contact lists of reform-minded school districts, teacher recruitment agencies and a variety of educational organizations) because in the end it is less a complaint than a call to action, one that will appeal to a wide body of readers. Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can still do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.

great american beer festival..... peter hurd Sep 22, 2005 1:41 PM Re: gawd i'm a fool

Denver?

Ye har!

depends

so on my lunch break, i wandered on over to Cody's Booksand, 15 minutes later walked out with over $100 in booksargh!i can't afford thisbut..dang addictionsanyways...i picked this up, and thought it sorta funny, in leiu of recent discussions hereTeachers Have It Easy": The Big Sacrifices and Small Salaries of America's Teachers (Hardcover)by Dave Eggers, Daniel Moulthrop, Ninive Clements Calegari Editorial ReviewsFrom Publishers WeeklyStarred Review. This book provides a punchy, thoughtful look at the issues surrounding teacher salaries in the public school system. And while it is openly biased on the subject-the authors see salary reform as the best way to ameliorate many of the problems facing America's public schools-this bias never compromises its even-handed consideration of the current debate. In part, this is because the authors wisely ground the book in the words and experiences of teachers themselves. The stories of high ideals and hard work compromised by the brutal conditions facing teachers speak for themselves, allowing the authors to make their points by interspersing short passages that highlight the key issues raised by the vignettes. Whether or not one agrees with their solutions, their characterization of the problem is spot-on. Perhaps more valuable, however, is their detailed discussion of actual school reform initiatives. Unlike most of the problems treated here-low pay and little respect for teachers or resource shortages in public schools-these incentives will not be familiar to most readers. Each of them take different approaches to the problems facing public schools and have had varying degrees of success, but all of them illustrate the gains that can be made when committed educators and policymakers work together with shared goals and community support. It's no accident that the book winds up with this informative consideration of solutions (nor that it provides a rich bibliography for further reading as well as contact lists of reform-minded school districts, teacher recruitment agencies and a variety of educational organizations) because in the end it is less a complaint than a call to action, one that will appeal to a wide body of readers. Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can still do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.

He's not laughing now, huh fraggle?fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

great american beer festival..... peter hurd Sep 22, 2005 1:41 PM Re: gawd i'm a fool

Denver?

Ye har!

depends

I will definately be heading to the library soon. What else did ya

get?

Thx Fraggle!

Nikki :)

, fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:

> so on my lunch break, i wandered on over to Cody's Books

> and, 15 minutes later walked out with over $100 in books

> argh!

> i can't afford this

> but..dang addictions

> anyways...i picked this up, and thought it sorta funny, in leiu

of recent discussions here

>

>

> Teachers Have It Easy " : The Big Sacrifices and Small Salaries of

America's Teachers (Hardcover)

> by Dave Eggers, Daniel Moulthrop, Ninive Clements Calegari

>

>

>

> Editorial Reviews

>

> From Publishers Weekly

> Starred Review. This book provides a punchy, thoughtful look at

the issues surrounding teacher salaries in the public school system.

And while it is openly biased on the subject-the authors see salary

reform as the best way to ameliorate many of the problems facing

America's public schools-this bias never compromises its even-handed

consideration of the current debate. In part, this is because the

authors wisely ground the book in the words and experiences of

teachers themselves. The stories of high ideals and hard work

compromised by the brutal conditions facing teachers speak for

themselves, allowing the authors to make their points by

interspersing short passages that highlight the key issues raised by

the vignettes. Whether or not one agrees with their solutions, their

characterization of the problem is spot-on. Perhaps more valuable,

however, is their detailed discussion of actual school reform

initiatives. Unlike most of the problems treated here-low pay and

little respect for teachers or resource shortages in public schools-

these incentives will not be familiar to most readers. Each of them

take different approaches to the problems facing public schools and

have had varying degrees of success, but all of them illustrate the

gains that can be made when committed educators and policymakers

work together with shared goals and community support. It's no

accident that the book winds up with this informative consideration

of solutions (nor that it provides a rich bibliography for further

reading as well as contact lists of reform-minded school districts,

teacher recruitment agencies and a variety of educational

organizations) because in the end it is less a complaint than a call

to action, one that will appeal to a wide body of readers.

> Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed

Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

>

>

> I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but I

can still do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will

not refuse to do the something that I can do.

1453 : The Holy War for Constantinople and the Clash of Islam and the West

The Monster at Our Door: The Global Threat of Avian Flu

The Republican War on Science

Jesus Is Not a Republican : The Religious Right's War on America

and a few others which my brain is fergetting

and today at work picked up

DARK DELICACIES (tr)(short horror stories)

GLIMPSES (tr) through holocaust and liberation

The message of Islam

now i just need a month to be left alone....

earthstrm <nikkimack

Sep 23, 2005 4:44 AM

Re: gawd i'm a fool

I will definately be heading to the library soon. What else did ya

get?

Thx Fraggle!

Nikki :)

> so on my lunch break, i wandered on over to Cody's Books

> and, 15 minutes later walked out with over $100 in books

> argh!

> i can't afford this

> but..dang addictions

> anyways...i picked this up, and thought it sorta funny, in leiu

of recent discussions here

>

>

> Teachers Have It Easy " : The Big Sacrifices and Small Salaries of

America's Teachers (Hardcover)

> by Dave Eggers, Daniel Moulthrop, Ninive Clements Calegari

>

>

>

> Editorial Reviews

>

> From Publishers Weekly

> Starred Review. This book provides a punchy, thoughtful look at

the issues surrounding teacher salaries in the public school system.

And while it is openly biased on the subject-the authors see salary

reform as the best way to ameliorate many of the problems facing

America's public schools-this bias never compromises its even-handed

consideration of the current debate. In part, this is because the

authors wisely ground the book in the words and experiences of

teachers themselves. The stories of high ideals and hard work

compromised by the brutal conditions facing teachers speak for

themselves, allowing the authors to make their points by

interspersing short passages that highlight the key issues raised by

the vignettes. Whether or not one agrees with their solutions, their

characterization of the problem is spot-on. Perhaps more valuable,

however, is their detailed discussion of actual school reform

initiatives. Unlike most of the problems treated here-low pay and

little respect for teachers or resource shortages in public schools-

these incentives will not be familiar to most readers. Each of them

take different approaches to the problems facing public schools and

have had varying degrees of success, but all of them illustrate the

gains that can be made when committed educators and policymakers

work together with shared goals and community support. It's no

accident that the book winds up with this informative consideration

of solutions (nor that it provides a rich bibliography for further

reading as well as contact lists of reform-minded school districts,

teacher recruitment agencies and a variety of educational

organizations) because in the end it is less a complaint than a call

to action, one that will appeal to a wide body of readers.

> Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed

Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

>

>

> I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but I

can still do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will

not refuse to do the something that I can do.

To send an email to -

Sounds like you could use some lighter reading, try squeezing in some humour?

The Valley Vegan...............

A ddarlenno, ysteried Let him who reads reflect fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

14911453 : The Holy War for Constantinople and the Clash of Islam and the West The Monster at Our Door: The Global Threat of Avian FluThe Republican War on ScienceJesus Is Not a Republican : The Religious Right's War on Americaand a few others which my brain is fergettingand today at work picked upDARK DELICACIES (tr)(short horror stories)GLIMPSES (tr) through holocaust and liberationThe message of Islamnow i just need a month to be left alone....earthstrm Sep 23, 2005 4:44 AM Subject: Re: gawd i'm a foolI will definately be heading to the library soon. What else did ya get?Thx Fraggle!Nikki :) , fraggle

wrote:> so on my lunch break, i wandered on over to Cody's Books> and, 15 minutes later walked out with over $100 in books> argh!> i can't afford this> but..dang addictions> anyways...i picked this up, and thought it sorta funny, in leiu of recent discussions here> > > Teachers Have It Easy": The Big Sacrifices and Small Salaries of America's Teachers (Hardcover)> by Dave Eggers, Daniel Moulthrop, Ninive Clements Calegari > > > > Editorial Reviews> > From Publishers Weekly> Starred Review. This book provides a punchy, thoughtful look at the issues surrounding teacher salaries in the public school system. And while it is openly biased on the subject-the authors see salary reform as the best way to ameliorate many of the problems facing America's public schools-this bias never compromises its even-handed consideration of

the current debate. In part, this is because the authors wisely ground the book in the words and experiences of teachers themselves. The stories of high ideals and hard work compromised by the brutal conditions facing teachers speak for themselves, allowing the authors to make their points by interspersing short passages that highlight the key issues raised by the vignettes. Whether or not one agrees with their solutions, their characterization of the problem is spot-on. Perhaps more valuable, however, is their detailed discussion of actual school reform initiatives. Unlike most of the problems treated here-low pay and little respect for teachers or resource shortages in public schools-these incentives will not be familiar to most readers. Each of them take different approaches to the problems facing public schools and have had varying degrees of success, but all of them illustrate the gains that can be made when committed

educators and policymakers work together with shared goals and community support. It's no accident that the book winds up with this informative consideration of solutions (nor that it provides a rich bibliography for further reading as well as contact lists of reform-minded school districts, teacher recruitment agencies and a variety of educational organizations) because in the end it is less a complaint than a call to action, one that will appeal to a wide body of readers. > Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.> > > I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can still do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.To send an email to -

not my style

and, just waiting for two fantasy novels to come out anyways....

peter hurd Sep 23, 2005 2:05 PM Re: Re: gawd i'm a fool

Sounds like you could use some lighter reading, try squeezing in some humour?

The Valley Vegan...............

A ddarlenno, ysteried Let him who reads reflect fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

14911453 : The Holy War for Constantinople and the Clash of Islam and the West The Monster at Our Door: The Global Threat of Avian FluThe Republican War on ScienceJesus Is Not a Republican : The Religious Right's War on Americaand a few others which my brain is fergettingand today at work picked upDARK DELICACIES (tr)(short horror stories)GLIMPSES (tr) through holocaust and liberationThe message of Islamnow i just need a month to be left alone....earthstrm Sep 23, 2005 4:44 AM Subject: Re: gawd i'm a foolI will definately be heading to the library soon. What else did ya get?Thx Fraggle!Nikki :) , fraggle wrote:> so on my lunch break, i wandered on over to Cody's Books> and, 15 minutes later walked out with over $100 in books> argh!> i can't afford this> but..dang addictions> anyways...i picked this up, and thought it sorta funny, in leiu of recent discussions here> > > Teachers Have It Easy": The Big Sacrifices and Small Salaries of America's Teachers (Hardcover)> by Dave Eggers, Daniel Moulthrop, Ninive Clements Calegari > > > > Editorial Reviews> > From Publishers Weekly> Starred Review. This book provides a punchy, thoughtful look at the issues surrounding teacher salaries in the public school system. And while it is openly biased on the subject-the authors see salary reform as the best way to ameliorate many of the problems facing America's public schools-this bias never compromises its even-handed consideration of the current debate. In part, this is because the authors wisely ground the book in the words and experiences of teachers themselves. The stories of high ideals and hard work compromised by the brutal conditions facing teachers speak for themselves, allowing the authors to make their points by interspersing short passages that highlight the key issues raised by the vignettes. Whether or not one agrees with their solutions, their characterization of the problem is spot-on. Perhaps more valuable, however, is their detailed discussion of actual school reform initiatives. Unlike most of the problems treated here-low pay and little respect for teachers or resource shortages in public schools-these incentives will not be familiar to most readers. Each of them take different approaches to the problems facing public schools and have had varying degrees of success, but all of them illustrate the gains that can be made when committed educators and policymakers work together with shared goals and community support. It's no accident that the book winds up with this informative consideration of solutions (nor that it provides a rich bibliography for further reading as well as contact lists of reform-minded school districts, teacher recruitment agencies and a variety of educational organizations) because in the end it is less a complaint than a call to action, one that will appeal to a wide body of readers. > Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.> > > I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can still do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.To send an email to -

So basically you picked up short and long horror stories....?fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

14911453 : The Holy War for Constantinople and the Clash of Islam and the West The Monster at Our Door: The Global Threat of Avian FluThe Republican War on ScienceJesus Is Not a Republican : The Religious Right's War on Americaand a few others which my brain is fergettingand today at work picked upDARK DELICACIES (tr)(short horror stories)GLIMPSES (tr) through holocaust and liberationThe message of Islamnow i just need a month to be left alone....earthstrm <nikkimackSep 23, 2005 4:44 AM Subject: Re: gawd i'm a foolI will definately be heading to the library soon. What else did ya get?Thx Fraggle!Nikki :) , fraggle

<EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:> so on my lunch break, i wandered on over to Cody's Books> and, 15 minutes later walked out with over $100 in books> argh!> i can't afford this> but..dang addictions> anyways...i picked this up, and thought it sorta funny, in leiu of recent discussions here> > > Teachers Have It Easy": The Big Sacrifices and Small Salaries of America's Teachers (Hardcover)> by Dave Eggers, Daniel Moulthrop, Ninive Clements Calegari > > > > Editorial Reviews> > From Publishers Weekly> Starred Review. This book provides a punchy, thoughtful look at the issues surrounding teacher salaries in the public school system. And while it is openly biased on the subject-the authors see salary reform as the best way to ameliorate many of the problems facing America's public schools-this bias never compromises its even-handed

consideration of the current debate. In part, this is because the authors wisely ground the book in the words and experiences of teachers themselves. The stories of high ideals and hard work compromised by the brutal conditions facing teachers speak for themselves, allowing the authors to make their points by interspersing short passages that highlight the key issues raised by the vignettes. Whether or not one agrees with their solutions, their characterization of the problem is spot-on. Perhaps more valuable, however, is their detailed discussion of actual school reform initiatives. Unlike most of the problems treated here-low pay and little respect for teachers or resource shortages in public schools-these incentives will not be familiar to most readers. Each of them take different approaches to the problems facing public schools and have had varying degrees of success, but all of them illustrate the gains that can be

made when committed educators and policymakers work together with shared goals and community support. It's no accident that the book winds up with this informative consideration of solutions (nor that it provides a rich bibliography for further reading as well as contact lists of reform-minded school districts, teacher recruitment agencies and a variety of educational organizations) because in the end it is less a complaint than a call to action, one that will appeal to a wide body of readers. > Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.> > > I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can still do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.To send an email to -

LinksI am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can still do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.Jonnie

more er less

but i was good, and refrained from hittin the bookstore today Jonnie Hellens Sep 23, 2005 3:54 PM Re: Re: gawd i'm a fool

So basically you picked up short and long horror stories....?fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: 14911453 : The Holy War for Constantinople and the Clash of Islam and the West The Monster at Our Door: The Global Threat of Avian FluThe Republican War on ScienceJesus Is Not a Republican : The Religious Right's War on Americaand a few others which my brain is fergettingand today at work picked upDARK DELICACIES (tr)(short horror stories)GLIMPSES (tr) through holocaust and liberationThe message of Islamnow i just need a month to be left alone....earthstrm <nikkimackSep 23, 2005 4:44 AM Subject: Re: gawd i'm a foolI will definately be heading to the library soon. What else did ya get?Thx Fraggle!Nikki :) , fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:> so on my lunch break, i wandered on over to Cody's Books> and, 15 minutes later walked out with over $100 in books> argh!> i can't afford this> but..dang addictions> anyways...i picked this up, and thought it sorta funny, in leiu of recent discussions here> > > Teachers Have It Easy": The Big Sacrifices and Small Salaries of America's Teachers (Hardcover)> by Dave Eggers, Daniel Moulthrop, Ninive Clements Calegari > > > > Editorial Reviews> > From Publishers Weekly> Starred Review. This book provides a punchy, thoughtful look at the issues surrounding teacher salaries in the public school system. And while it is openly biased on the subject-the authors see salary reform as the best way to ameliorate many of the problems facing America's public schools-this bias never compromises its even-handed consideration of the current debate. In part, this is because the authors wisely ground the book in the words and experiences of teachers themselves. The stories of high ideals and hard work compromised by the brutal conditions facing teachers speak for themselves, allowing the authors to make their points by interspersing short passages that highlight the key issues raised by the vignettes. Whether or not one agrees with their solutions, their characterization of the problem is spot-on. Perhaps more valuable, however, is their detailed discussion of actual school reform initiatives. Unlike most of the problems treated here-low pay and little respect for teachers or resource shortages in public schools-these incentives will not be familiar to most readers. Each of them take different approaches to the problems facing public schools and have had varying degrees of success, but all of them illustrate the gains that can be made when committed educators and policymakers work together with shared goals and community support. It's no accident that the book winds up with this informative consideration of solutions (nor that it provides a rich bibliography for further reading as well as contact lists of reform-minded school districts, teacher recruitment agencies and a variety of educational organizations) because in the end it is less a complaint than a call to action, one that will appeal to a wide body of readers. > Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.> > > I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can still do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.To send an email to -

those very are interesting books, preety serious

I am reading a bunch of text books, for collage and for pleasure

i am reading the biography of Zelda Fitzgerald.

I am also a full time mom, and I work the night shift 12 am.

I am a walking zombie.

> 1491

>

> 1453 : The Holy War for Constantinople and the Clash of Islam and

the West

>

> The Monster at Our Door: The Global Threat of Avian Flu

>

> The Republican War on Science

>

> Jesus Is Not a Republican : The Religious Right's War on America

>

> and a few others which my brain is fergetting

>

> and today at work picked up

> DARK DELICACIES (tr)(short horror stories)

> GLIMPSES (tr) through holocaust and liberation

> The message of Islam

>

> now i just need a month to be left alone....

>

>

> earthstrm <nikkimack@m...>

> Sep 23, 2005 4:44 AM

>

> Re: gawd i'm a fool

>

> I will definately be heading to the library soon. What else did ya

> get?

>

> Thx Fraggle!

>

> Nikki :)

>

>

> , fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:

> > so on my lunch break, i wandered on over to Cody's Books

> > and, 15 minutes later walked out with over $100 in books

> > argh!

> > i can't afford this

> > but..dang addictions

> > anyways...i picked this up, and thought it sorta funny, in leiu

> of recent discussions here

> >

> >

> > Teachers Have It Easy " : The Big Sacrifices and Small Salaries of

> America's Teachers (Hardcover)

> > by Dave Eggers, Daniel Moulthrop, Ninive Clements Calegari

> >

> >

> >

> > Editorial Reviews

> >

> > From Publishers Weekly

> > Starred Review. This book provides a punchy, thoughtful look at

> the issues surrounding teacher salaries in the public school system.

> And while it is openly biased on the subject-the authors see salary

> reform as the best way to ameliorate many of the problems facing

> America's public schools-this bias never compromises its even-handed

> consideration of the current debate. In part, this is because the

> authors wisely ground the book in the words and experiences of

> teachers themselves. The stories of high ideals and hard work

> compromised by the brutal conditions facing teachers speak for

> themselves, allowing the authors to make their points by

> interspersing short passages that highlight the key issues raised by

> the vignettes. Whether or not one agrees with their solutions, their

> characterization of the problem is spot-on. Perhaps more valuable,

> however, is their detailed discussion of actual school reform

> initiatives. Unlike most of the problems treated here-low pay and

> little respect for teachers or resource shortages in public schools-

> these incentives will not be familiar to most readers. Each of them

> take different approaches to the problems facing public schools and

> have had varying degrees of success, but all of them illustrate the

> gains that can be made when committed educators and policymakers

> work together with shared goals and community support. It's no

> accident that the book winds up with this informative consideration

> of solutions (nor that it provides a rich bibliography for further

> reading as well as contact lists of reform-minded school districts,

> teacher recruitment agencies and a variety of educational

> organizations) because in the end it is less a complaint than a call

> to action, one that will appeal to a wide body of readers.

> > Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed

> Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

> >

> >

> > I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but I

> can still do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will

> not refuse to do the something that I can do.

To send an email to -

>

hi fraggle,

do you like libraries,

you won't have to spend money

cause it's free.

> more er less

but i was good, and refrained from hittin the bookstore today

seriously, i have no time fer libraries....

i love the concept of em..but..have no patience to wait 6 months fer a book i

want t oread...

i really don't mind shellin out the dough fer a book..most of the time...

just it hurts sometimes

:)

Anouk Sickler <zurumato

Sep 24, 2005 12:14 AM

hi fraggle,

do you like libraries,

you won't have to spend money

cause it's free.

> more er less

but i was good, and refrained from hittin the bookstore today

To send an email to -

Come on Fraggle, you of all people should be supporting libraries, from the sharing of knowledge and saving resources standpoints at least!, and you must agree that a lot of people cannot afford to spend 100 bucks on food , never mind books in one go. Or are you just trying to sell more books?

I know you are a keen reader, but come on support your local libraries, I know they dont keep everything, but can get books in from other local libraries ( in my kneck of the woods anyway), which means you have access to quite a selction. In this modern playstation age, there doesnt seem to be the interest in books amongst kids like there used to be, so they need support from the old fogies like me to ensure that they stay open.

Stepsdown off soapbox,

The Valley Vegan................

Amynedd yw mam pob doethineb Patience is the mother of all wisdom fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

seriously, i have no time fer libraries....i love the concept of em..but..have no patience to wait 6 months fer a book i want t oread...i really don't mind shellin out the dough fer a book..most of the time...just it hurts sometimes:)Anouk Sickler Sep 24, 2005 12:14 AM Subject: Re: gawd i'm a foolhi fraggle,do you like libraries, you won't have to spend money cause it's free. , fraggle wrote:> more er lessbut i was good, and refrained from hittin the bookstore todayTo send an email to -

hi fraggle,

we go every saturday afternoon, we pick out about 20 books a week.

my kid devours books, reads about three a day. We take the tv out of

the closet and watch documentaries or fun videos/moives sometiems.

Its an obsession. I am fortunate, to have a very good library in my

town.

that being said, theres something really fascinating about

going to a used book store, or an independent book store.

> seriously, i have no time fer libraries....

> i love the concept of em..but..have no patience to wait 6 months fer

a book i want t oread...

> i really don't mind shellin out the dough fer a book..most of the

time...

> just it hurts sometimes

> :)

>

hi peter,

ill tell you a quick story.

this month, I needed texbooks for college, for a thesis, that i am doing.

I went to amazon and they had em. but the total cost for four books,

would've been $ 100 dollars.

so I gots, to thinkin and I went online to the libray site, and sar

that my library

had three of em.

I instead paid just $30 to amazon, for one book which my library

didn't have.

saved me some dough!

, peter hurd <swpgh01@t...> wrote:

> Come on Fraggle, you of all people should be supporting libraries,

from the sharing of knowledge and saving resources standpoints at

least!, and you must agree that a lot of people cannot afford to spend

100 bucks on food , never mind books in one go. Or are you just trying

to sell more books?

Hey Preachin to the converted mate, tell Fraggle!

The Valley Vegan...........Anouk Sickler <zurumato wrote:

hi peter,ill tell you a quick story.this month, I needed texbooks for college, for a thesis, that i am doing.I went to amazon and they had em. but the total cost for four books,would've been $ 100 dollars.so I gots, to thinkin and I went online to the libray site, and sarthat my library had three of em.I instead paid just $30 to amazon, for one book which my library didn't have. saved me some dough! , peter hurd wrote:> Come on Fraggle, you of all people should be supporting libraries,from the sharing of knowledge and saving resources standpoints atleast!, and you must agree that a lot of people cannot afford to spend100 bucks on food , never mind books in one go. Or are you just tryingto sell more books?------------------------

that sounds great

alas..on saturday my day is usually filled to the brim and then some...

i'm not sure even which library branches are open which days around

here.....they run on really short hours

Anouk Sickler <zurumato

Sep 24, 2005 9:58 PM

hi fraggle,

we go every saturday afternoon, we pick out about 20 books a week.

my kid devours books, reads about three a day. We take the tv out of

the closet and watch documentaries or fun videos/moives sometiems.

Its an obsession. I am fortunate, to have a very good library in my

town.

that being said, theres something really fascinating about

going to a used book store, or an independent book store.

> seriously, i have no time fer libraries....

> i love the concept of em..but..have no patience to wait 6 months fer

a book i want t oread...

> i really don't mind shellin out the dough fer a book..most of the

time...

> just it hurts sometimes

> :)

>

To send an email to -

see..and if i had been there..you might not have been able to borrow the book

by not using the library, i allowed you to

see..it all works out peter hurd Sep 25, 2005 3:07 AM Re: Re: gawd i'm a fool

hi peter,ill tell you a quick story.this month, I needed texbooks for college, for a thesis, that i am doing.I went to amazon and they had em. but the total cost for four books,would've been $ 100 dollars.so I gots, to thinkin and I went online to the libray site, and sarthat my library had three of em.I instead paid just $30 to amazon, for one book which my library didn't have. saved me some dough! , peter hurd wrote:> Come on Fraggle, you of all people should be supporting libraries,from the sharing of knowledge and saving resources standpoints atleast!, and you must agree that a lot of people cannot afford to spend100 bucks on food , never mind books in one go. Or are you just tryingto sell more books?

Pretty shaby Fraggle!

see..and if i had been there..you might not have been able to borrow the book

by not using the library, i allowed you to

see..it all works out peter hurd Sep 25, 2005 3:07 AM Re: Re: gawd i'm a fool

hi peter,ill tell you a quick story.this month, I needed texbooks for college, for a thesis, that i am doing.I went to amazon and they had em. but the total cost for four books,would've been $ 100 dollars.so I gots, to thinkin and I went online to the libray site, and sarthat my library had three of em.I instead paid just $30 to amazon, for one book which my library didn't have. saved me some dough! , peter hurd wrote:> Come on Fraggle, you of all people should be supporting libraries,from the sharing of knowledge and saving resources standpoints atleast!, and you must agree that a lot of people cannot afford to spend100 bucks on food , never mind books in one go. Or are you just tryingto sell more books?------------------------