IndiaDivine.org

RE: Banned Books week in the US of A

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Apparently its banned books week in the USA next week.

Excerpt from The Times on Saturday 24/09/05.

"The American banned list reveals a society with serious hang-ups"

Some of the recent attempts at censorship would be hilarious if they were not so chilling. Eureka, Illinois, removed Chaucer from its high school literature course on the grounds of sexual content. Roald Dahl`s James and The Giant Peach was removed from some classrooms in Virginia because it promoted disobedience to authority figures.Delightfully, Twelfth Night fell foul of the school board in Merrimack, New Hampshire, where the Bard stood accused of promoting an alternative lifestyle, with all that disgusting cross dressing.

But perhaps the most remarkable act of foolishness came a few years ago when four members of the Alabama State Textbook Commitee called for the rejection of Anne Franks Diary of a Young Girl on the basis that it "was a real downer".

Every book-banning usually says more about the censor than the book.

Even in China, so expert at banning, cannot hold back books for long. Last year two Chinese authors, Chen Guidi and Wu Chuntoa published the snappily titled A Survey of Chinese Peasants, an expose of the plight of China`s 800 million agricultural poor. It was banned by the Government, promptly and inevitably, but has since gone on to sell an estimated eight million copied in 30 pirate editions. Chen and Wu were last year awarded the Letre Ullysses Award in Berlin ( Yes, that is the same Ullysses by James Joyce that was banned in Britain for 14 years, as obscene, lewd, lascivious, filthy, indecent and disgusting ; recently selected by the Modern Libray as the best novel of the 20th century.)

The Valley Vegan.............Peter H

How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Photos. Get Photos

Does anyone have a list of the most banned

books from public schools in the US? Cynthia

On Behalf Of peter hurd

Sunday, September 25, 2005

5:43 AM

Re: Re:

Banned Books week in the US of A

Apparently

its banned books week in the USA

next week.

Excerpt

from The Times on Saturday 24/09/05.

" The

American banned list reveals a society with serious hang-ups "

Some of

the recent attempts at censorship would be hilarious if they were not so

chilling. Eureka, Illinois,

removed Chaucer from its high school literature course on the grounds of sexual

content. Roald Dahl`s James and The Giant Peach was removed from some

classrooms in Virginia because it promoted disobedience to authority

figures.Delightfully, Twelfth Night fell foul of the school board in Merrimack,

New Hampshire, where the Bard stood accused of promoting an alternative

lifestyle, with all that disgusting cross dressing.

But

perhaps the most remarkable act of foolishness came a few years ago when four

members of the Alabama State Textbook Commitee called for the rejection of Anne

Franks Diary of a Young Girl on the basis that it " was a real

downer " .

Every

book-banning usually says more about the censor than the book.

Even in China, so

expert at banning, cannot hold back books for long. Last year two Chinese

authors, Chen Guidi and Wu Chuntoa published the snappily titled A Survey of

Chinese Peasants, an expose of the plight of China`s 800 million agricultural

poor. It was banned by the Government, promptly and inevitably, but has since

gone on to sell an estimated eight million copied in 30 pirate editions. Chen

and Wu were last year awarded the Letre Ullysses Award in Berlin

( Yes, that is the same Ullysses by James Joyce that was banned in Britain for 14

years, as obscene, lewd, lascivious, filthy, indecent and disgusting ; recently

selected by the Modern Libray as the best novel of the 20th century.)

The

Valley Vegan.............

Peter H

How much free photo storage do you

get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Photos. Get Photos

Have you seen the banned book list? Some really interesting stuff on.

However, I think it is more ridiculous to give an award to Ulysses as the greatest novel. Boring piece of tripe!

Lynda

-

peter hurd

Sunday, September 25, 2005 2:43 AM

Re: Re: Banned Books week in the US of A

Some of the recent attempts at censorship would be hilarious if they were not so chilling. Eureka, Illinois, removed Chaucer from its high school literature course on the grounds of sexual content. Roald Dahl`s James and The Giant Peach was removed from some classrooms in Virginia because it promoted disobedience to authority figures.Delightfully, Twelfth Night fell foul of the school board in Merrimack, New Hampshire, where the Bard stood accused of promoting an alternative lifestyle, with all that disgusting cross dressing.

But perhaps the most remarkable act of foolishness came a few years ago when four members of the Alabama State Textbook Commitee called for the rejection of Anne Franks Diary of a Young Girl on the basis that it "was a real downer".

Even in China, so expert at banning, cannot hold back books for long. Last year two Chinese authors, Chen Guidi and Wu Chuntoa published the snappily titled A Survey of Chinese Peasants, an expose of the plight of China`s 800 million agricultural poor. It was banned by the Government, promptly and inevitably, but has since gone on to sell an estimated eight million copied in 30 pirate editions. Chen and Wu were last year awarded the Letre Ullysses Award in Berlin ( Yes, that is the same Ullysses by James Joyce that was banned in Britain for 14 years, as obscene, lewd, lascivious, filthy, indecent and disgusting ; recently selected by the Modern Libray as the best novel of the 20th century.)

The Valley Vegan.............

Peter H

How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Photos. Get Photos

Version: 7.0.344 / Virus Database: 267.11.5/110 - Release 9/22/2005

"The Most Frequently Banned Books in the 1990s"This list is taken from the table of contents of Banned in the U.S.A. by Herbert N. Foerstel. It shows the fifty books that were most frequently challenged in schools and public libraries in the United States between 1990 and 1992. Banned in the U.S.A. has more information about the efforts to keep each title out of schools. (Here's the publisher's information on the book.) The list is reprinted here with permission from the publisher. Most of the books in this list are still copyrighted, and not available online at this time. Those that are available have hyperlinks to the text. There may also be links to pages with more information about certain authors.

Impressions Edited by Jack Booth et al. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens) The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson Scary Stories in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz More Scary Stories in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz The Witches by Roald Dahl Daddy's Roommate by Michael Willhoite Curses, Hexes, and Spells by Daniel Cohen A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle How to Eat Fried Worms by Thomas Rockwell Blubber by Judy Blume Revolting Rhymes by Roald Dahl Halloween ABC by Eve Merriam A Day No Pigs Would Die by Robert Peck Heather Has Two Mommies by Leslea Newman Christine by Stephen King I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou Fallen Angels by Walter Myers The New Teenage Body Book by Kathy McCoy and Charles Wibbelsman Little Red Riding Hood by Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm The Headless Cupid by Zilpha Snyder Night Chills by Dean Koontz Lord of the Flies by William Golding A Separate Peace by John Knowles Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut The Color Purple by Alice Walker James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl The Learning Tree by Gordon Parks The Witches of Worm by Zilpha Snyder My Brother Sam Is Dead by James Lincoln Collier and Christopher Collier The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck Cujo by Stephen King The Great Gilly Hopkins by Katherine Paterson The Figure in the Shadows by John Bellairs On My Honor by Marion Dane Bauer In the Night Kitchen by Maurice Sendak Grendel by John Champlin Gardner I Have to Go by Robert Munsch Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain The Pigman by Paul Zindel My House by Nikki Giovanni Then Again, Maybe I Won't by Judy Blume The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood Witches, Pumpkins, and Grinning Ghosts: The Story of the Halloween Symbols by Edna Barth One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez Scary Stories 3: More Tales to Chill Your Bones by Alvin Schwartz Cynthia Gadarian Sep 25, 2005 8:23 AM RE: Re: Banned Books week in the US of A

Does anyone have a list of the most banned books from public schools in the US? Cynthia

I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can still do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.

There isn't one. There is a list put together by the librarian ass. that includes most banned books in the U.S. which includes schools and libraries.

There is no universalality about p.s. and banned books. They each do their own thing.

For example, youngest kidlet decided she go to public school to see what it was like. She stayed a month but during that time I checked out the library with her (a parent/student library introduction day thingy). The librarian thought Dr. Suess was way to violent for children, siting such books as Hop On Pop. However, she thought Tin-Tin was an excellent book to encourage very young boys to read. Hmmmm, small children playing with their parent, TOO VIOLENT but a young boy going into opium dens, being shot at, killing people, etc. was an excellent book.

Lynda

-

Cynthia Gadarian

Sunday, September 25, 2005 8:23 AM

RE: Re: Banned Books week in the US of A

Does anyone have a list of the most banned books from public schools in the US? Cynthia

On Behalf Of peter hurdSunday, September 25, 2005 5:43 AM Subject: Re: Re: Banned Books week in the US of A

Peter H

Version: 7.0.344 / Virus Database: 267.11.6/111 - Release 9/23/2005

The ALA has a complete listing of banned books and challenged books. Here's there link: http://www.ala.org/ala/oif/bannedbooksweek/challengedbanned/challengedbanned.htm

Oops, the would be the American Library Association.

Here's the 10 most challenged books in 2004 and the reason they were challenged:

"The Chocolate War" for sexual content, offensive language, religious viewpoint, being unsuited to age group and violence

"Fallen Angels" by Walter Dean Myers, for racism, offensive language and violence

"Arming America: The Origins of a National Gun Culture" by Michael A. Bellesiles, for inaccuracy and political viewpoint

Captain Underpants series by Dav Pilkey, for offensive language and modeling bad behavior

"The Perks of Being a Wallflower" by Stephen Chbosky, for homosexuality, sexual content and offensive language

"What My Mother Doesn't Know" by Sonya Sones, for sexual content and offensive language

"In the Night Kitchen" by Maurice Sendak, for nudity and offensive language

"King & King" by Linda de Haan and Stern Nijland, for homosexuality

"I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" by Maya Angelou, for racism, homosexuality, sexual content, offensive language and unsuited to age group

"Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck, for racism, offensive language and violence

Off the list this year, but on the list for several years past, are the Alice series of books by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor, "Go Ask Alice" by Anonymous, "It's Perfectly Normal" by Robie Harris and "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" by Mark Twain.

-

fraggle

Sunday, September 25, 2005 10:02 AM

RE: Re: Banned Books week in the US of A

"The Most Frequently Banned Books in the 1990s"This list is taken from the table of contents of Banned in the U.S.A. by Herbert N. Foerstel. It shows the fifty books that were most frequently challenged in schools and public libraries in the United States between 1990 and 1992. Banned in the U.S.A. has more information about the efforts to keep each title out of schools. (Here's the publisher's information on the book.) The list is reprinted here with permission from the publisher. Most of the books in this list are still copyrighted, and not available online at this time. Those that are available have hyperlinks to the text. There may also be links to pages with more information about certain authors.

Impressions Edited by Jack Booth et al. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens) The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson Scary Stories in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz More Scary Stories in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz The Witches by Roald Dahl Daddy's Roommate by Michael Willhoite Curses, Hexes, and Spells by Daniel Cohen A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle How to Eat Fried Worms by Thomas Rockwell Blubber by Judy Blume Revolting Rhymes by Roald Dahl Halloween ABC by Eve Merriam A Day No Pigs Would Die by Robert Peck Heather Has Two Mommies by Leslea Newman Christine by Stephen King I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou Fallen Angels by Walter Myers The New Teenage Body Book by Kathy McCoy and Charles Wibbelsman Little Red Riding Hood by Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm The Headless Cupid by Zilpha Snyder Night Chills by Dean Koontz Lord of the Flies by William Golding A Separate Peace by John Knowles Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut The Color Purple by Alice Walker James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl The Learning Tree by Gordon Parks The Witches of Worm by Zilpha Snyder My Brother Sam Is Dead by James Lincoln Collier and Christopher Collier The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck Cujo by Stephen King The Great Gilly Hopkins by Katherine Paterson The Figure in the Shadows by John Bellairs On My Honor by Marion Dane Bauer In the Night Kitchen by Maurice Sendak Grendel by John Champlin Gardner I Have to Go by Robert Munsch Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain The Pigman by Paul Zindel My House by Nikki Giovanni Then Again, Maybe I Won't by Judy Blume The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood Witches, Pumpkins, and Grinning Ghosts: The Story of the Halloween Symbols by Edna Barth One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez Scary Stories 3: More Tales to Chill Your Bones by Alvin Schwartz Cynthia Gadarian Sep 25, 2005 8:23 AM RE: Re: Banned Books week in the US of A

I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can still do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.

Version: 7.0.344 / Virus Database: 267.11.6/111 - Release 9/23/2005

My son and I read How to Eat Fried Worms together. It was pretty good, we thought. Grapes of Wrath was such a sad book. I really felt sad and frustrated for each of the character, especially the mom, since there was absolutely nothing she could do to keep her family better, it didn't matter how hard she tried. fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can still do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.Jonnie

for Good Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

No havent seen the list , though I understand that Roald Dahl has had a bad time in the past. Shame realy I liked his books when I was young, they always had a dark edge to them.

As for Ulsses, never read it, and probably never will. Doesnt sound like my cup of tea.

The Valley Vegan............

Lynda <lurine wrote:

Have you seen the banned book list? Some really interesting stuff on.

However, I think it is more ridiculous to give an award to Ulysses as the greatest novel. Boring piece of tripe!

Lynda

-

peter hurd

Sunday, September 25, 2005 2:43 AM

Re: Re: Banned Books week in the US of A

Peter H

Version: 7.0.344 / Virus Database: 267.11.5/110 - Release 9/22/2005Peter H