IndiaDivine.org

I certainly wouldn't take part in this research - yuk!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Volunteers wanted for worm study

The tiny worms would be injected into the bloodstreamScientists are looking for volunteers to help them find a cure for allergies - by injecting them with hookworms.

Researchers at Nottingham City Hospital need 60 volunteers who suffer from allergies to carry hookworms.

The tests, based on research done in Africa, could help cure people with over-sensitive immune systems.

Doctors believe people carrying the parasite have a reduced risk of allergies because their immune system is "distracted" by the worm.

Town asthma

John Britton, a professor of epidemiology at Nottingham City Hospital, who has done research in Ethiopia, discovered people living in the countryside are less likely to have allergies but more likely to have parasites.

"We found higher levels of asthma in the towns and we believe this was partly down to a lower number of people carrying parasites," he said.

I would also want to know a bit more about it before treatment like that

Leshie Chandrapala, asthma sufferer

For the research, volunteers will receive 10 Papua New Guinea strains of the worm, which can grow up to a centimetre long.

"We are trying to find out if we can use the worms or their products to lesson the impact of allergies," Prof Britton said.

"The worms pass into the bloodstream before being trapped in the lungs.

"They are then coughed up and swallowed into the stomach, then the bowels, where they breed before the larvae pass out of the body. "

Researchers think some kinds of hookworm secrete proteins which can damp down the immune response that causes asthma.

Leshie Chandrapala, 25, from Forest Fields, who suffers from asthma, said he would think twice before taking part in the tests.

"I find my asthma is often linked to stress and I have not been that stressed recently," he said.

"I would also want to know a bit more about it before treatment like that."

Researchers have already tested the worms on themselves to find the appropriate dosage.

The £250,000 research project is looking for 30 asthma sufferers and 30 hayfever or allergy suffers for the 12-week trial.

Ah geez, kinda like the person who told me I should get infected with aids to help my auto-immune disease! You have asthma? Let's infect you with parasites!jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

The tiny worms would be injected into the bloodstreamScientists are looking for volunteers to help them find a cure for allergies - by injecting them with hookworms.

Researchers at Nottingham City Hospital need 60 volunteers who suffer from allergies to carry hookworms.

The tests, based on research done in Africa, could help cure people with over-sensitive immune systems. Jonnie

for Good Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

Not a good idea as far as I am concerned.

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Saturday, October 01, 2005 11:36 PM

Re: I certainly wouldn't take part in this research - yuk!

Ah geez, kinda like the person who told me I should get infected with aids to help my auto-immune disease! You have asthma? Let's infect you with parasites!jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

The tests, based on research done in Africa, could help cure people with over-sensitive immune systems. Jonnie

for GoodClick here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

hmm... would this study be considered "vegan"? the worms are still alive when they "exit", right? ;) Jonnie Hellens <jonnie_hellens wrote:

Normally they live their life cycle within people/animals.

Jo

-

ank_art

Sunday, October 02, 2005 4:52 PM

Re: I certainly wouldn't take part in this research - yuk!

hmm... would this study be considered "vegan"? the worms are still alive when they "exit", right? ;) Jonnie Hellens <jonnie_hellens wrote:

that is truly weird science,

I can't believe someone told you that.

someone on the radio,

said that we all have parasite in us at one time or anther.

I had a lot when I was a kid,

I remember they had three heads, and were still alive

when they came out. they were long and white.

I was about four.. and got terribel stomach aches.

I don't see that in children nowadays, so there must

be an improvement in hygiene. It is suggested that more

dirt is needed to be played with by kids.

, Jonnie Hellens

<jonnie_hellens> wrote:

> Ah geez, kinda like the person who told me I should get infected

with aids to help my auto-immune disease! You have asthma? Let's

infect you with parasites!

>

> jo <jo.heartwork@g...> wrote: Volunteers wanted for worm study

>

> The tiny worms would be injected into the bloodstream

>

> Scientists are looking for volunteers to help them find a cure for

allergies - by injecting them with hookworms.

> Researchers at Nottingham City Hospital need 60 volunteers who

suffer from allergies to carry hookworms.

>

> The tests, based on research done in Africa, could help cure people

with over-sensitive immune systems.

>

>

>

>

> Jonnie

>

>

> for Good

> Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

I don't know of anyone in my family that has ever been treated for parasites

or had symptoms of them.

Jo

-

" Anouk Sickler " <zurumato

Monday, October 03, 2005 5:21 AM

Re: I certainly wouldn't take part in this research -

yuk!

> that is truly weird science,

> I can't believe someone told you that.

>

> someone on the radio,

> said that we all have parasite in us at one time or anther.

>

> I had a lot when I was a kid,

> I remember they had three heads, and were still alive

> when they came out. they were long and white.

> I was about four.. and got terribel stomach aches.

>

> I don't see that in children nowadays, so there must

> be an improvement in hygiene. It is suggested that more

> dirt is needed to be played with by kids.