IndiaDivine.org

heck, i wish i could have read it while in high skool

Rate this topic

Guest guest

when i first got people's history of the US i devoured it in two days...

all the books we had in skool were bland cheerleading ra ra ra texts....

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0060528370/thedanclorenecro

The Statesman-Examiner

Tuesday, October 4, 2005

Do you know this book?

There are now six Bainbridge Island 11th graders who are

being privately tutored in American history because they and

their parents object to a textbook used in American Studies

class authored by a man said to be the most influential

historian in America.

The book is a People's History of the United States 1492 to

Present by Howard Zinn, whose influence is such, according

to Daniel J. Flynn, executive director of Accuracy in

Academia, because his book is assigned reading in many

colleges and high schools. It still sells over 128,000

copies a year, 20 years after its publication.

Zinn, says Flynn, in an eight-page review for the Center for

History, " is an unreconstructed anti-American Marxist and a

master of cheap Marxist propaganda. His book is a dagger

aimed at the heart of the country that has given him more

freedom than most of the writers who have ever written and

made him a millionaire in the process. "

The book apparently has been in use at Bainbridge High

School for most of the 20 years it has been in print. Eric

Foner, New York Times book reviewer, said of it, " Historians

may well view it as a step toward a coherent new version of

American history. " Foner also is a Leftist, says Flynn.

The book came into my hands from a neighbor who took his son

out of the American Studies class after reading the book.

" I wouldn't mind if it was labeled a Marxist-Leninist View

of American History, " he said, " but it isn't. I think the

book has done harm to our young people because it teaches

them to distrust our government. The question is how can our

kids pass an American history test with this kind of garbage? "

[Teaches them to distrust government? The horror, the

horror!--DC]

Zinn is described on the book jacket as a historian,

play-wright, and social activist. He was a shipyard worker

and Air Force bombardier before he went to college under the

GI Bill and received his PHD from Columbia University. He

taught at several colleges.

I didn't have the time to read all 776 pages, but I did read

the chapter on wars, which says, " For the U.S. to step

forward as a defender of helpless countries matches its

image in American high school history textbooks, but not its

record of world affairs. " He goes on to list our actions in

everything from the Haitian revolution in the 1800s on, in

all of which we were just looking out for No. 1.

Zinn suggests that we didn't need to drop the bomb in WW II;

if only we had agreed to let the Japanese emperor remain in

office, and that the main reason we did it was we'd invested

too much money and effort in creating it not to use it.

Flynn says that he fails to mention Americans were first in

flight, first to fly across the Atlantic, first to walk on

the moon. Alexander Graham Bell, Jonas Salk and the Wright

brothers are entirely absent. Instead, the reader is treated

to the exploits of Speckled Snake, Joan Baez and the

Berrigan Brothers.

A slanderous tome, says Flynn.

Bainbridge School Superintendent Ken Crawford said he had

received no complaints and had not read the book, but the

district has a committee of parents and teachers who review

all student reading material and has a policy that " If you

present material that is of a controversial nature, you have

to present a balance. We do that. "

Faith Chapel, curriculum director and associate

superintendent, said she had not received any complaints. It

is school policy to expose students to a variety of

perspectives and cultures in American history, she said. She

cited " Unfinished Nation " by Alan Brinkley and Edmond

Morgan's " The Birth of the Republic " as books that provide a

different perspective than Zinn.

She has not read the Zinn book, although she has looked at

it, she said. All class material is periodically

reviewed--and American Studies is due.

" If the parent has an objection to the book material, we

have a policy where they can formally challenge the material.

Is this book being used in your high school? Take a look at

it and see what you think.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0060528370/thedanclorenecro

RIGHT NOW

in this new world order,

RIGHT NOW

no one is free

RIGHT NOW

Corporations own this world

RIGHT NOW

we are victems of thier greed

Very interesting, maybe there is more to American history than we are taught over here too?

Nice Naked Aggression lyrics

The Valley Vegan................fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

when i first got people's history of the US i devoured it in two days...all the books we had in skool were bland cheerleading ra ra ra texts....http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0060528370/thedanclorenecroThe Statesman-ExaminerTuesday, October 4, 2005Do you know this book?There are now six Bainbridge Island 11th graders who are being privately tutored in American history because they and their parents object to a textbook used in American Studies class authored by a man said to be the most influential historian in America.The book is a People's History of the United States 1492 to Present by Howard Zinn, whose influence is such, according to Daniel J. Flynn, executive director of Accuracy in Academia, because his book is assigned reading in many colleges and high schools. It still sells over 128,000

copies a year, 20 years after its publication.Zinn, says Flynn, in an eight-page review for the Center for History, "is an unreconstructed anti-American Marxist and a master of cheap Marxist propaganda. His book is a dagger aimed at the heart of the country that has given him more freedom than most of the writers who have ever written and made him a millionaire in the process."The book apparently has been in use at Bainbridge High School for most of the 20 years it has been in print. Eric Foner, New York Times book reviewer, said of it, "Historians may well view it as a step toward a coherent new version of American history." Foner also is a Leftist, says Flynn.The book came into my hands from a neighbor who took his son out of the American Studies class after reading the book."I wouldn't mind if it was labeled a Marxist-Leninist View of American History," he said, "but it isn't. I think the book has

done harm to our young people because it teaches them to distrust our government. The question is how can our kids pass an American history test with this kind of garbage?"[Teaches them to distrust government? The horror, the horror!--DC]Zinn is described on the book jacket as a historian, play-wright, and social activist. He was a shipyard worker and Air Force bombardier before he went to college under the GI Bill and received his PHD from Columbia University. He taught at several colleges.I didn't have the time to read all 776 pages, but I did read the chapter on wars, which says, "For the U.S. to step forward as a defender of helpless countries matches its image in American high school history textbooks, but not its record of world affairs." He goes on to list our actions in everything from the Haitian revolution in the 1800s on, in all of which we were just looking out for No. 1.Zinn suggests that we

didn't need to drop the bomb in WW II; if only we had agreed to let the Japanese emperor remain in office, and that the main reason we did it was we'd invested too much money and effort in creating it not to use it.Flynn says that he fails to mention Americans were first in flight, first to fly across the Atlantic, first to walk on the moon. Alexander Graham Bell, Jonas Salk and the Wright brothers are entirely absent. Instead, the reader is treated to the exploits of Speckled Snake, Joan Baez and the Berrigan Brothers.A slanderous tome, says Flynn.Bainbridge School Superintendent Ken Crawford said he had received no complaints and had not read the book, but the district has a committee of parents and teachers who review all student reading material and has a policy that "If you present material that is of a controversial nature, you have to present a balance. We do that."Faith Chapel, curriculum

director and associate superintendent, said she had not received any complaints. It is school policy to expose students to a variety of perspectives and cultures in American history, she said. She cited "Unfinished Nation" by Alan Brinkley and Edmond Morgan's "The Birth of the Republic" as books that provide a different perspective than Zinn.She has not read the Zinn book, although she has looked at it, she said. All class material is periodically reviewed--and American Studies is due."If the parent has an objection to the book material, we have a policy where they can formally challenge the material.Is this book being used in your high school? Take a look at it and see what you think.http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0060528370/thedanclorenecroRIGHT NOW in this new world order, RIGHT NOW no one is freeRIGHT NOW Corporations own this worldRIGHT NOW we are victems

of thier greed

i'm sure there is.....

thanx fer noticing peter hurd Oct 5, 2005 1:20 PM Re: heck, i wish i could have read it while in high skool

Very interesting, maybe there is more to American history than we are taught over here too?

Nice Naked Aggression lyrics

The Valley Vegan................fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

when i first got people's history of the US i devoured it in two days...all the books we had in skool were bland cheerleading ra ra ra texts....http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0060528370/thedanclorenecroThe Statesman-ExaminerTuesday, October 4, 2005Do you know this book?There are now six Bainbridge Island 11th graders who are being privately tutored in American history because they and their parents object to a textbook used in American Studies class authored by a man said to be the most influential historian in America.The book is a People's History of the United States 1492 to Present by Howard Zinn, whose influence is such, according to Daniel J. Flynn, executive director of Accuracy in Academia, because his book is assigned reading in many colleges and high schools. It still sells over 128,000 copies a year, 20 years after its publication.Zinn, says Flynn, in an eight-page review for the Center for History, "is an unreconstructed anti-American Marxist and a master of cheap Marxist propaganda. His book is a dagger aimed at the heart of the country that has given him more freedom than most of the writers who have ever written and made him a millionaire in the process."The book apparently has been in use at Bainbridge High School for most of the 20 years it has been in print. Eric Foner, New York Times book reviewer, said of it, "Historians may well view it as a step toward a coherent new version of American history." Foner also is a Leftist, says Flynn.The book came into my hands from a neighbor who took his son out of the American Studies class after reading the book."I wouldn't mind if it was labeled a Marxist-Leninist View of American History," he said, "but it isn't. I think the book has done harm to our young people because it teaches them to distrust our government. The question is how can our kids pass an American history test with this kind of garbage?"[Teaches them to distrust government? The horror, the horror!--DC]Zinn is described on the book jacket as a historian, play-wright, and social activist. He was a shipyard worker and Air Force bombardier before he went to college under the GI Bill and received his PHD from Columbia University. He taught at several colleges.I didn't have the time to read all 776 pages, but I did read the chapter on wars, which says, "For the U.S. to step forward as a defender of helpless countries matches its image in American high school history textbooks, but not its record of world affairs." He goes on to list our actions in everything from the Haitian revolution in the 1800s on, in all of which we were just looking out for No. 1.Zinn suggests that we didn't need to drop the bomb in WW II; if only we had agreed to let the Japanese emperor remain in office, and that the main reason we did it was we'd invested too much money and effort in creating it not to use it.Flynn says that he fails to mention Americans were first in flight, first to fly across the Atlantic, first to walk on the moon. Alexander Graham Bell, Jonas Salk and the Wright brothers are entirely absent. Instead, the reader is treated to the exploits of Speckled Snake, Joan Baez and the Berrigan Brothers.A slanderous tome, says Flynn.Bainbridge School Superintendent Ken Crawford said he had received no complaints and had not read the book, but the district has a committee of parents and teachers who review all student reading material and has a policy that "If you present material that is of a controversial nature, you have to present a balance. We do that."Faith Chapel, curriculum director and associate superintendent, said she had not received any complaints. It is school policy to expose students to a variety of perspectives and cultures in American history, she said. She cited "Unfinished Nation" by Alan Brinkley and Edmond Morgan's "The Birth of the Republic" as books that provide a different perspective than Zinn.She has not read the Zinn book, although she has looked at it, she said. All class material is periodically reviewed--and American Studies is due."If the parent has an objection to the book material, we have a policy where they can formally challenge the material.Is this book being used in your high school? Take a look at it and see what you think.http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0060528370/thedanclorenecroRIGHT NOW in this new world order, RIGHT NOW no one is freeRIGHT NOW Corporations own this worldRIGHT NOW we are victems of thier greed

Hi Fraggle

> when i first got people's history of the US i devoured it in two days...

Ummm.... do you really thing it's best to be eating books? I mean, I know

they're probably vegan, but surely they taste like cardboard!

BB

Peter

shhhhhh

don't tell anyone

i've chewed on paper since i was a wee tiny fraggle

(not like i'm big now er something)

Peter <metalscarab

Oct 6, 2005 10:39 AM

Re: heck, i wish i could have read it while in high skool

Hi Fraggle

> when i first got people's history of the US i devoured it in two days...

Ummm.... do you really thing it's best to be eating books? I mean, I know

they're probably vegan, but surely they taste like cardboard!

BB

Peter

To send an email to -