IndiaDivine.org

Stumps and Bales and Severe Unpleasant Men....

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Unpleasant for who? The man in overalls? Do they throw the ball at him for giving an unpleasant look?

OK... stumps are the three sticks that are poked in the ground that thebowler throws a cork and leather ball at. If he knocks them over the batsmangets pointed at by a severe looking man in white overalls, and it's reallyrather unpleasant for him :-)The stumps have two smaller sticks placed across the top of them in atrilithon kind of way... those two sticks are called "bales", and the wholeshebang is called a "wicket".Y'see.... here in England we're very good at coming up with imaginativenames for bits of wood. :-)BBPeterTo send an email to -

Hi Jonnie

> Unpleasant for who? The man in overalls? Do they throw the ball at him for giving an unpleasant look?

Well, it depends. What is generally unpleasant for the man in overalls is eleven people staring fiercly at him and showting "howzat" at the tops of their voices. This happens frequently in any game of cricket, and ocassionally he'll buckle under the pressure and point at the man with the bat. Once that's happened, the eleven men who shouted suddenly change their tactics, and jump all over each other hugging. The batsman looks a little upset and marches off in a huff.

BB

Peter

Colin has asked me to remind you that the bowler is allowed only two attempts each over to hit the batsman on the head. After the second time he is sternly cautioned by the umpire. It is not known what the sanctions are if he exceeds this number but it is definitely considered 'not cricket'.

BBJo

-

Peter

Friday, October 07, 2005 8:02 PM

Re: Stumps and Bales and Severe Unpleasant Men....

Hi Jonnie

> Unpleasant for who? The man in overalls? Do they throw the ball at him for giving an unpleasant look?

Well, it depends. What is generally unpleasant for the man in overalls is eleven people staring fiercly at him and showting "howzat" at the tops of their voices. This happens frequently in any game of cricket, and ocassionally he'll buckle under the pressure and point at the man with the bat. Once that's happened, the eleven men who shouted suddenly change their tactics, and jump all over each other hugging. The batsman looks a little upset and marches off in a huff.

BB

Peter

Hi Jo

> Colin has asked me to remind you that the bowler is allowed only two attempts each over to hit the batsman on the head. After

> the second time he is sternly cautioned by the umpire. It is not known what the sanctions are if he exceeds this number but it is

> definitely considered 'not cricket'.

Now I didn't know that. This differs considerably from Brochian Ultra Cricket, where the idea is to sneak up on someone, hit them over the head, run away quickly and then apologise from a safe distance (for the un-initiated this is from Hitchikers Guide To The Galaxy).

Seriously, though.... I just assumed the bowler could aim for the batsman's head as many times as he liked. However, along similar lines, if it starts to get a bit overcast, then the fast bowlers aren't allowed to bowl any more. It is also not considered the done thing to point at the pavilion, or to trip over a fielder while running.

I also forgot before the rules about different parts of the body... if the ball hits the hand or arm, it is considered to have hit the bat. However, if it hits the leg, chest, shoulder or head, then it hasn't hit the bat!

BB

Peter

Hi Peter

LOL - there's too many rules for me to remember.

BBJo

-

Peter

Friday, October 07, 2005 11:54 PM

Re: Stumps and Bales and Severe Unpleasant Men....

Hi Jo

> Colin has asked me to remind you that the bowler is allowed only two attempts each over to hit the batsman on the head. After

> the second time he is sternly cautioned by the umpire. It is not known what the sanctions are if he exceeds this number but it is

> definitely considered 'not cricket'.

Now I didn't know that. This differs considerably from Brochian Ultra Cricket, where the idea is to sneak up on someone, hit them over the head, run away quickly and then apologise from a safe distance (for the un-initiated this is from Hitchikers Guide To The Galaxy).

Seriously, though.... I just assumed the bowler could aim for the batsman's head as many times as he liked. However, along similar lines, if it starts to get a bit overcast, then the fast bowlers aren't allowed to bowl any more. It is also not considered the done thing to point at the pavilion, or to trip over a fielder while running.

I also forgot before the rules about different parts of the body... if the ball hits the hand or arm, it is considered to have hit the bat. However, if it hits the leg, chest, shoulder or head, then it hasn't hit the bat!

BB

Peter

As long as it makes sense for someone, I guess!Peter <metalscarab wrote:

Hi Jonnie

BB

PeterJonnie

Music Unlimited - Access over 1 million songs. Try it free.