IndiaDivine.org

BSE prions in urine

Rate this topic

Guest guest

If I read this correctly, then it is a possiblity that manure used for fertilizer could harbor Mad Cow Disease, since where there's urine, there's often poo and vice versa?heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:

Mad cow disease could spread through urine, Swiss studyCategory: CJD/vCJD/Mad Cow Disease NewsArticle 14 Oct 2005email this article to a friendprinter friendly versionview all opinions on thiswrite an opinion on thisResearchers from the University Hospital of Zurich have found thatprions can be spread through urine. Prions are proteins that cause madcow disease, CJD and scrapie.You can read about this study in the journal Science.Lead researcher, Adriano Aguzzi, said that prions could be found inthe urine of scrapie infected mice with kidney inflammation. Micewithout kidney inflammation (infected with scrapie) had no prions intheir urine.Hence, they concluded that prions could be transmitted through urine.Before this study, it was thought that the only way to infect ananimal or human with

BSE or CJD is through contaminated foods or feeds.Perhaps we should monitor the urine, not just animal remains, say theresearchers.Written by: Christian NordqvistEditor: Medical News TodayJonnie

Music Unlimited - Access over 1 million songs. Try it free.

Possibly. I would be interested in more information on this research.

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Sunday, October 16, 2005 3:53 AM

Re: BSE prions in urine

If I read this correctly, then it is a possiblity that manure used for fertilizer could harbor Mad Cow Disease, since where there's urine, there's often poo and vice versa?heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote: Mad cow disease could spread through urine, Swiss studyCategory: CJD/vCJD/Mad Cow Disease NewsArticle 14 Oct 2005email this article to a friendprinter friendly versionview all opinions on thiswrite an opinion on thisResearchers from the University Hospital of Zurich have found thatprions can be spread through urine. Prions are proteins that cause madcow disease, CJD and scrapie.You can read about this study in the journal Science.Lead researcher, Adriano Aguzzi, said that prions could be found inthe urine of scrapie infected mice with kidney inflammation. Micewithout kidney inflammation (infected with scrapie) had no prions intheir urine.Hence, they concluded that prions could be transmitted through urine.Before this study, it was thought that the only way to infect ananimal or human with BSE or CJD is through contaminated foods or feeds.Perhaps we should monitor the urine, not just animal remains, say theresearchers.Written by: Christian NordqvistEditor: Medical News TodayJonnie

My DH, feels he can raise some heck by asking if vegans use manure for fertilizer. I told him that most likely when people garden, they use compost and explained what it is (I don't think he knows a lawn mower from an edger, or a hoe vs a spade). But he wanted me to toss the question out to see if I would cause a riot. I'm not sure why he feels this question would cause one....?jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

Possibly. I would be interested in more information on this research.

Jo

-

Jonnie Hellens

Sunday, October 16, 2005 3:53 AM

Re: BSE prions in urine

If I read this correctly, then it is a possiblity that manure used for fertilizer could harbor Mad Cow Disease, since where there's urine, there's often poo and vice versa?heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote: Mad cow disease could spread through urine, Swiss studyCategory: CJD/vCJD/Mad Cow Disease NewsArticle 14 Oct 2005email this article to a friendprinter friendly versionview all opinions on thiswrite an opinion on thisResearchers from the University Hospital of Zurich have found thatprions can be spread through urine. Prions are proteins that cause madcow disease, CJD and scrapie.You can read about this study in the journal Science.Lead researcher, Adriano Aguzzi, said that prions could be found inthe urine of scrapie infected mice with kidney inflammation. Micewithout kidney inflammation (infected with scrapie) had no prions intheir urine.Hence, they concluded that prions could be transmitted through urine.Before this study, it was thought that the only way to infect ananimal or human with

BSE or CJD is through contaminated foods or feeds.Perhaps we should monitor the urine, not just animal remains, say theresearchers.Written by: Christian NordqvistEditor: Medical News TodayJonnie

I thinking a radical vegan wouldn't use manure in their compost pile. From the definitions we've been seeing, I would think the logic would follow that it is a product from an animal that is kept for a purpose which would be considered abuse and thus the by-product would be considered a product of abuse if I'm following the logic properly.

I, personally, can't see how there could be any objection to using the manure from rescue operations but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong <g>

We collect straw and manure from the ranch down the road that does mustang rescues (they aren't riden, simply rescued, fed and fat and sassy).

Of course, now that you bring that up, that would put a major crimp in the status of mushrooms as vegan since in CA, and in most states in the U.S., they are grown in straw, bedding and manure collected from barns at race tracks, fairgrounds and dairy, goat, sheep and rabbit farms (chicken is too hot).

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

My DH, feels he can raise some heck by asking if vegans use manure for fertilizer. I told him that most likely when people garden, they use compost and explained what it is (I don't think he knows a lawn mower from an edger, or a hoe vs a spade). But he wanted me to toss the question out to see if I would cause a riot. I'm not sure why he feels this question would cause one....?

Hi jonnie,

I'm not sure, what the organic companies use, but if the cow ate grass

only it would be ok with me.

In my garden, I don't use it, just composs I guess. I don't know much

about gardening, but I use organic methods when possible.

We all try to do our best, but the truth is we all kill.

We may kill an ant, walking on the sidewalk and we are not even aware

of this.

The thing is, I try to do the less harm possible.

I care, that cows should be given the right to live out their life in

peace, die of old age as they were meant to be and should

have the right to.

, Jonnie Hellens

<jonnie_hellens> wrote:

>

> My DH, feels he can raise some heck by asking if vegans use manure

for fertilizer. I told him that most likely when people garden, they

use compost and explained what it is (I don't think he knows a lawn

mower from an edger, or a hoe vs a spade). But he wanted me to toss

the question out to see if I would cause a riot. I'm not sure why he

feels this question would cause one....?

>

> jo <jo.heartwork@g...> wrote:Possibly. I would be interested in

more information on this research.