IndiaDivine.org

The Perfect Muffin Recipe Required

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I have just bought my wife a muffin tin ( sentimental old fool that I am ), and we are on a quest for the perfect muffin.

Can anyone supply me withe the most scrummulicious recipe?, I have trawled the web, but as most recipes are american they talk in strange ingredients like apple sauce?! what on earth is apple sauce? is it available in the U.K.? Certanly not in my cornershop!

With half term coming up we need some recipes to keep the kiddies busy. So come on, HELP!

This is your time to shine my American friends, show me wha you got!

The Valley Vegan................Peter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.

It's like apple juice with a whole lotta pulp! :) Seriously, it's crushed apples in it's basic form, but you know companies, a lot of them have to add a bunch of cr*p to mess it up.peter hurd <swpgh01 wrote:

I have just bought my wife a muffin tin ( sentimental old fool that I am ), and we are on a quest for the perfect muffin.

Can anyone supply me withe the most scrummulicious recipe?, I have trawled the web, but as most recipes are american they talk in strange ingredients like apple sauce?! what on earth is apple sauce? is it available in the U.K.? Certanly not in my cornershop!

With half term coming up we need some recipes to keep the kiddies busy. So come on, HELP!

The Valley Vegan................

Peter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre. Jonnie

Music Unlimited - Access over 1 million songs. Try it free.

It is really strange what one takes for granted and applesauce is one of those things. So, I Goggled it and blessed if you aren't right <g> Don't know if what the rest of what she wrote is true, but she says that you guys don't have applesauce. Strange, very strange <g>

http://www.evilsusan.com/susan/england.shtml

Lynda

-

peter hurd

Saturday, October 15, 2005 3:07 AM

Re: The Perfect Muffin Recipe Required

Peter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.

Thanks for that, but wheres my recipe? Come on you homeakers out there, help me out.

The Valley Vegan............Jonnie Hellens <jonnie_hellens wrote:

It's like apple juice with a whole lotta pulp! :) Seriously, it's crushed apples in it's basic form, but you know companies, a lot of them have to add a bunch of cr*p to mess it up.peter hurd <swpgh01 wrote:

Peter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre. Jonnie

Music Unlimited - Access over 1 million songs. Try it free. Peter H

Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail

Hi Peter-

here's a recipe I like -- it's fast and easy... i usually skip the salt and add some nutmeg and more cinnamon

Ingredients :

2 tablespoons unsalted soy butter (or vegan margarine) 2 heaping tablespoons vegan sugar

1/2 teaspoon of vanilla 2 very large ripe bananas 1/2 cup all purpose flour 1/2 cup dry oats 1 heaping teaspoon baking powder 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon pinch of salt walnuts or carob chips, optional

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 F

Put the butter, sugar, and vanilla extract in a pan on a low heat to melt, then remove and set aside for a few minutes. Mash the bananas and, in another bowl, measure out the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Don't over mix: just stir a couple of times; you will have a not terribly attractive lumpy sludge, but don't worry about it. Fill the muffin trays about two-thirds full of mixture. Put in the oven and bake about 25 minutes. Leave in pan for 5 minutes, then remove to wire rack for another 5-10 minutes or until cool.

peter hurd <swpgh01 wrote:

Peter H

But that's the problem, Peter. We use the applesauce that you don't have.

Lynda

-

peter hurd

Sunday, October 16, 2005 7:14 AM

Thanks for that, but wheres my recipe? Come on you homeakers out there, help me out.

The Valley Vegan............

No excuses, I just found a jar of applesauce in a supermarket, turns out its just cooked apples mushed a bit!

So come on , give me a recipe!

The Valley Vegan..............Lynda <lurine wrote:

Lynda

-

peter hurd

The Valley Vegan............Peter H

O.K., this is soooo easy and it makes great everything from upside down cake to muffins to coffee cake (do you call it that over there?).

1 cup unbleached white flour

1 cup whole wheat flour

1/2 cup packed brown sugar**

1/2 cup white sugar**

1 tbsp. cornstarch

2 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp. ginger

1/8 tsp. cloves

1/3 tsp. mace

20 oz. (2 1/2 cup) unsweetened applesauce

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F

Sift dry ingredients together; add the applesauce and stir.

For variety you can use apple pie or pumpkin pie spice or add raisins.

1) For muffins: Use paper cupcake paper thingys. Fill half full. Bake about 25 minutes depending on your oven.

2) For upside down cake, line a small sheet cake pan (less than 9" x 13") with parchment paper) and drop dabs of vegan margarine, sprinkle a little brown sugar, sprinkle about 1/2 cup + chopped walnuts or almonds and layer with sliced apples and then pour in batter. Bake for about 40 to 60 minutes depending on your oven. Stick with a toothpick to check for doneness (is that a word?).

3) For coffee cake: Make a crumb topping of flour, sugar, cinnamon, chopped walnuts and sprinkle on top before baking. Bake as for upside down cake.

**You can also sub out 1/2 the sugar with a sugar substitute like Splenda and it doesn't change the taste or texture for those who are on a sugar reduced diet.

-

peter hurd

Monday, October 17, 2005 12:58 PM

No excuses, I just found a jar of applesauce in a supermarket, turns out its just cooked apples mushed a bit!

So come on , give me a recipe!

The Valley Vegan..............Lynda <lurine wrote:

Lynda

-

peter hurd

The Valley Vegan............

Peter H