IndiaDivine.org

Fwd: Recipe: Curried Greens

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I would like to find more ways to cook these greens, but I don't think I like curry. I guess I'll have to give it a go and see though.

Tue, 18 Oct 2005 12:17:10 -0500 Recipe: Curried Greens

Curried Greens 1 pound spinach, kale, collards or beet greens (or mixture of all) (I've also used mustard greens)2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced2-3 tablespoons curry powder1 cup finely chopped tomatoes (fresh or canned)1 tablespoon tomato paste1 tablespoon brown sugar or other sweetenerSauté medium: water, broth, cooking spray1 cup onion, finely diced3/4 pound brown potatoes, peeled and cubed (I use sweet potatoes or yams)1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)

Wash and drain greens, removing coarse stems and midribs. Cut into 1/2-inch strips. (You can buy many of the calcium greens in bags already prepared this way.) In small bowl, mix together garlic, curry powder, tomatoes, tomato paste, and sweetener/sugar. Heat sauté medium of choice (water, cooking spray, broth, or oil) and sauté onion over medium-high heat until it begins to brown. Add spice-and-tomato mixture, mix well, and cook for a few minutes. Add potatoes and 2 cups water. Mix well, bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Add greens and cook for 10 minutes more, or until potatoes are done. Correct seasoning to taste. Garnish with cilantro if desired.

Posted by Portia to http://www.vegsource.com/talk/eat2live/messages/62370.html. An adaptation of a recipe at http://www.drweil.com/u/Recipe/Recipe10055/

Music Unlimited - Access over 1 million songs. Try it free.

There are lots of kinds of curry, Jonnie. DH said the same thing when I first met him. He also said he didn't like Japanese cooking and that he wouldn't eat sushi (he tought that equally raw fish).

We had curry noodle soup last night and he loved it. There is sweet curry, mild curry, hot curry. All kinds of curry.

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 6:57 PM

I would like to find more ways to cook these greens, but I don't think I like curry. I guess I'll have to give it a go and see though.

Curried Greens 1 pound spinach, kale, collards or beet greens (or mixture of all) (I've also used mustard greens)2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced2-3 tablespoons curry powder1 cup finely chopped tomatoes (fresh or canned)1 tablespoon tomato paste1 tablespoon brown sugar or other sweetenerSauté medium: water, broth, cooking spray1 cup onion, finely diced3/4 pound brown potatoes, peeled and cubed (I use sweet potatoes or yams)1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)

Wash and drain greens, removing coarse stems and midribs. Cut into 1/2-inch strips. (You can buy many of the calcium greens in bags already prepared this way.) In small bowl, mix together garlic, curry powder, tomatoes, tomato paste, and sweetener/sugar. Heat sauté medium of choice (water, cooking spray, broth, or oil) and sauté onion over medium-high heat until it begins to brown. Add spice-and-tomato mixture, mix well, and cook for a few minutes. Add potatoes and 2 cups water. Mix well, bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Add greens and cook for 10 minutes more, or until potatoes are done. Correct seasoning to taste. Garnish with cilantro if desired.

Posted by Portia to http://www.vegsource.com/talk/eat2live/messages/62370.html. An adaptation of a recipe at http://www.drweil.com/u/Recipe/Recipe10055/

Curry is a bit of an ambiguoius term, try and avoid using curry paste as it usually tastes crap. Instead try this : fry some mustard seeds until the pop, add curry leaves & fenugreek and fry for a while then add some onions and brown, then chuck in some finely chopped green chillies and grated ginger & garlic, then some ground cumin and turmeric. Chuck in a tin of chopped tomatoes, and let cook for a while with a pinch of sugar. Then add some cocnut milk.Basic curry sauce. Vary the quantities to suit your tastes.

A lot of things taste good with just one or two spices, nearly everyone likes cumin ( best to roast and grind the seeds - smells wonderful ) and it is a good one to start exploring spices with, the other obvious one being coriander.

I like to use spinach with as little done to it as possible.

The Valley Vegan..............Jonnie Hellens <jonnie_hellens wrote:

Music Unlimited - Access over 1 million songs. Try it free. Peter H

Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail

i haven't even had breakfast

thats wot i get fer not going home last nite i guess..

heartwerk <jo.heartwork

Oct 20, 2005 11:09 AM

Re: Fwd: Recipe: Curried Greens

Hey Peter - you are making me hungry - I haven't eaten dinner yet.

Jo

, peter hurd <swpgh01@t...> wrote:

>

When they kick out your front door

How you gonna come?

With your hands on your head

Or on the trigger of your gun

When the law break in

How you gonna go?

Shot down on the pavement

Or waiting on death row

Hmmm.. at the store I've just seen curry. I've tried it a couple of times at restaurants and didn't particularly like it. I wonder which one I might have tried?Lynda <lurine wrote:

There are lots of kinds of curry, Jonnie. DH said the same thing when I first met him. He also said he didn't like Japanese cooking and that he wouldn't eat sushi (he tought that equally raw fish).

We had curry noodle soup last night and he loved it. There is sweet curry, mild curry, hot curry. All kinds of curry.

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

FareChase - Search multiple travel sites in one click.

A curry is just an indian stew, infiniate variables, infinate spice mixes. I suggest you try and make your own, but keep it simple and experiment with spices ( 1 or 2 at a time )

The Valley Vegan................Jonnie Hellens <jonnie_hellens wrote:

Hmmm.. at the store I've just seen curry. I've tried it a couple of times at restaurants and didn't particularly like it. I wonder which one I might have tried?Lynda <lurine wrote:

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

FareChase - Search multiple travel sites in one click. Peter H

Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail