IndiaDivine.org

Fwd: Soup!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

But wait, here's more!

Tue, 18 Oct 2005 00:49:39 -0000 Soup!Here are some nice warm soup recipes for the changing weather--I hopeyou enjoy them! They are both adapted from Mollie Katzen's cookbooks(sorry, I cannot remember which ones!)Spinach SoupGo ahead and use frozen spinach--it works very well here (justremember to defrost it ahead of time).Step 1 can be done up to several days ahead.Don't substitute dried herbs for the fresh. It just won't be the same.This soup freezes well, if stored in an airtight container.2 medium-sized russet potatoes (about 1 pound), cut into cubes(peeling optional)2 cups chopped onion1 heaping tablespoon minced garlic5 cups water1 1/2 teaspoons salt (optional)1 teaspoon dry mustard2 (10-oz.) packages frozen chopped spinach, defrosted (or 2 poundsfresh

spinach, cleaned and chopped)1/2 cup minced fresh dillA small handful fresh basil leaves (optional, if available)Freshly ground black pepper, to taste 1. Place the potatoes, onion, garlic, water, salt, and mustard in asoup pot or Dutch oven. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer veryslowly for about 20 minutes. 2. Use a food processor or a blender to puree the soup with all itssolids, adding the spinach and fresh herbs along the way. 3. Return the soup to the pot and heat slowly. Add black pepper totaste. Serve hot!WHITE BEAN AND COLLARD GREEN SOUPABOUT THE BEANS: Use any kind of white beans: the smaller navy beans,the medium-sized Great Northern, or the large cannelini. If you'reusing canned beans, use 2 cans.ABOUT THE GREENS: The recipe calls for collard greens, but you canalso use escarole or spinach--or a comination.2 cups chopped onions1 bay leaf2

stalks celery, minced2 medium-sized carrots, diced2 teaspoons salt (or more, to taste)6 cups stock or water3 to 4 cups cooked white beans3 tablespoons minced fresh garlic1 1/2 pounds collard greens, stemmed and choppedFreshly ground black pepper to tasteTOPPINGS:Freshly-grated nutmegFinely minced fresh parsley 1. Heat a kettle or Dutch oven and add a little broth/water tosoften the onion, bay leaf, celery, carrots, and salt. Cook over lowheat for about 10 minutes, then add the rest of the stock or water.Cover, bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer. Cook quietly forabout 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. 2. Add the beans, garlic, and as much of the collard greens as youcan fit, cover and wait a few minutes for the greens to cook down.Keep adding greens in batches, waiting between additions for them tocook down, which they ultimately

will. 3. Add black pepper to taste, and adjust the salt. Serve hot,topped with a grating or two of fresh nutmeg or a little parsley.Courtney

Music Unlimited - Access over 1 million songs. Try it free.

Thanks Jonnie

I will try some of these,

I will try the spinach soup

and cross my fingers that my kids

will like it.

minus the mustard though,

je n'aime pas la moutarde.

please share all the recipes that you want

I need some ideas!

, Jonnie Hellens

<jonnie_hellens> wrote:

>

> But wait, here's more!

>

> Tue, 18 Oct 2005 00:49:39 -0000

> Soup!

>

> Here are some nice warm soup recipes for the changing weather--I hope

> you enjoy them! They are both adapted from Mollie Katzen's cookbooks

> (sorry, I cannot remember which ones!)

>

> Spinach Soup

> Go ahead and use frozen spinach--it works very well here (just

> remember to defrost it ahead of time).

> Step 1 can be done up to several days ahead.

> Don't substitute dried herbs for the fresh. It just won't be the same.

> This soup freezes well, if stored in an airtight container.

>

> 2 medium-sized russet potatoes (about 1 pound), cut into cubes

> (peeling optional)

> 2 cups chopped onion

> 1 heaping tablespoon minced garlic

> 5 cups water

> 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (optional)

> 1 teaspoon dry mustard

> 2

I tried the 3 layer bean casserole last night and I thought it was really good. My kids didn't even want to try it, but they kept complaining about the smell of the nutritional yeast. I decided to put a lot of chili powder on top of the hash browns and I think that gave it some wonderful flavor. Some people complained it was dry, but my wasn't at all.

On the other hand, I tried my (lack of) skill at rissoto and it was a disaster. The chef said that it did well in a pressure cooker, but I would have to change the amounts of his recipe. I went online and tried to make a mushroom rissoto and it was awful! The recipe said 10-15 mins and I released the steam at 13. The bottom was burned and it had a burned flavor, but even still I think the taste would have been awful.

The salad came out great, but the kids wouldn't eat that either (just spring greens).Anouk Sickler <zurumato wrote:

Thanks JonnieI will try some of these,I will try the spinach soupand cross my fingers that my kids will like it. minus the mustard though,je n'aime pas la moutarde.please share all the recipes that you wantI need some ideas! , Jonnie Hellens<jonnie_hellens> wrote:>> But wait, here's more!> > Tue, 18 Oct 2005 00:49:39 -0000> Soup!> > Here are some nice warm soup recipes for the changing weather--I hope> you enjoy them! They are both adapted from Mollie Katzen's cookbooks> (sorry, I cannot remember which ones!)> > Spinach Soup> Go ahead and use frozen spinach--it works very well here (just> remember to defrost it ahead of time).> Step 1 can be done up

to several days ahead.> Don't substitute dried herbs for the fresh. It just won't be the same.> This soup freezes well, if stored in an airtight container.> > 2 medium-sized russet potatoes (about 1 pound), cut into cubes> (peeling optional)> 2 cups chopped onion> 1 heaping tablespoon minced garlic> 5 cups water> 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (optional)> 1 teaspoon dry mustard> 2

FareChase - Search multiple travel sites in one click.

wow

if i didn't eat everything on my plate, i couldn't leave the table when i was a wee fraggle

there was no "i don't want that" er "i don't like that"

it didn't matter..

no wonder i stopped eating meals with my father and step mother by the time i hit my teens

they'd always have stuff covered in cheese..and i was allergic....

didn't matter

i'd sit til i ate everything....

and then spend an hour in the bathroom

whee fun! Jonnie Hellens Oct 25, 2005 12:55 PM Re: Re: Fwd: Soup!

I tried the 3 layer bean casserole last night and I thought it was really good. My kids didn't even want to try it, but they kept complaining about the smell of the nutritional yeast. I decided to put a lot of chili powder on top of the hash browns and I think that gave it some wonderful flavor. Some people complained it was dry, but my wasn't at all.

On the other hand, I tried my (lack of) skill at rissoto and it was a disaster. The chef said that it did well in a pressure cooker, but I would have to change the amounts of his recipe. I went online and tried to make a mushroom rissoto and it was awful! The recipe said 10-15 mins and I released the steam at 13. The bottom was burned and it had a burned flavor, but even still I think the taste would have been awful.

The salad came out great, but the kids wouldn't eat that either (just spring greens).

But they've all gone mad now

Well you'd be pretty mad too

If what happened to cows happened to you

Having your children taken away

Forced to stand in a pen each day

Fed the shit from other dead things

Then chopped to bits...

OMG, Jonnie, please don't let any little old Italian Nonies ever hear you say risotto and pressure cooker in the same breath <g>

Little EVOO, slowly saute some garlic, some onion, your rice, add a little hot broth, stir until almost gone, add a little more hot broth, stir until almost gone, add a little more hot broth, stir until almost gone, continue on until you get your risotto to the creamy consistancy you want. In another pan, saute your mushroom in vegan margarine. When your risotto is the consitancy you want it, add in the mushrooms.

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 12:55 PM

Re: Re: Fwd: Soup!

The salad came out great, but the kids wouldn't eat that either (just spring greens).

Hi Fraggle

It was the same in my family - had to eat everything. I even had to

eat a slice of bread everytime I had fruit - no wonder I put on

weight so easily now!

Jo

Fraggle wrote : wow

if i didn't eat everything on my plate, i couldn't leave the table

when i was a wee fraggle

there was no " i don't want that " er " i don't like that "

it didn't matter..

no wonder i stopped eating meals with my father and step mother by

the time i hit my teens

didn't matter

whee fun!

NO WONDER YOU MAKE SUCH A GOOD BOUNCER! SO MUCH SUPRESSED ANGER!

ARGH!

LET IT OUT BOY

THE VALLEY VEGAN............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

wow

if i didn't eat everything on my plate, i couldn't leave the table when i was a wee fraggle

there was no "i don't want that" er "i don't like that"

it didn't matter..

no wonder i stopped eating meals with my father and step mother by the time i hit my teens

didn't matter

whee fun! Jonnie Hellens Oct 25, 2005 12:55 PM Re: Re: Fwd: Soup!

But they've all gone mad now

Well you'd be pretty mad too

If what happened to cows happened to you

Having your children taken away

Forced to stand in a pen each day

Fed the shit from other dead things

Then chopped to bits...

Peter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.

I had never had risotto before the cooking class, but it took forever to cook it during the class. He had someone come up to stir it while he made other stuff. I'm thinking there is no way I can babysit a dish for 30 or 40 minutes unable to do anything else! Is that really how long it takes or did it just seem that way with all the wonderful cooking smells, waiting to sample the yummy dishes? We had pumplkin risotto, sage mashed potatoes, mushroom gravy and the other item must have not been that impressive because I can't remember it. That was the best gravy I've ever had in my life! I've never cared for non-vegan gravy all that much, too much fat.Lynda <lurine wrote:

OMG, Jonnie, please don't let any little old Italian Nonies ever hear you say risotto and pressure cooker in the same breath <g>

Little EVOO, slowly saute some garlic, some onion, your rice, add a little hot broth, stir until almost gone, add a little more hot broth, stir until almost gone, add a little more hot broth, stir until almost gone, continue on until you get your risotto to the creamy consistancy you want. In another pan, saute your mushroom in vegan margarine. When your risotto is the consitancy you want it, add in the mushrooms.

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

I do other things while I am cooking the risotto. I stir a little and futz with other things. Stir a little more and futz with some more things <g> I have the pot right next to where I am making my salad. I chop a little, stir a little, chop some more, stir a little more.

Hey, Fraggle, if I'm going to make a squash or pumpkin risotto, I'll make them the day or night before and them rice them the day I'm making the risotto. Or steam them earlier in the day and use the liquid to make the risotto. Yummy!

Or, you can steam a bunch of broccoli or mushrooms the day before and use that liquid to make your risotto, Jonnie. It is also yummy.

To make a real yummy gravy that isn't all fatty, use corn starch instead of flour and you don't need a bunch of fat, only about a tablespoon, and sometimes only a teaspoon of vegan margarine. Saute most anything that tickles your fancy, mushrooms or scallions or leeks. Or steam broccoli and them run it through the blender until it is liquid or aspargus.

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 11:13 AM

I had never had risotto before the cooking class, but it took forever to cook it during the class. He had someone come up to stir it while he made other stuff. I'm thinking there is no way I can babysit a dish for 30 or 40 minutes unable to do anything else! Is that really how long it takes or did it just seem that way with all the wonderful cooking smells, waiting to sample the yummy dishes? We had pumplkin risotto, sage mashed potatoes, mushroom gravy and the other item must have not been that impressive because I can't remember it. That was the best gravy I've ever had in my life! I've never cared for non-vegan gravy all that much, too much fat.Lynda <lurine wrote:

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Version: 7.1.361 / Virus Database: 267.12.4/146 - Release 10/21/2005

Gee Lynda, I need to come to your house and learn cooking from you!Lynda <lurine wrote:

I do other things while I am cooking the risotto. I stir a little and futz with other things. Stir a little more and futz with some more things <g> I have the pot right next to where I am making my salad. I chop a little, stir a little, chop some more, stir a little more.

Hey, Fraggle, if I'm going to make a squash or pumpkin risotto, I'll make them the day or night before and them rice them the day I'm making the risotto. Or steam them earlier in the day and use the liquid to make the risotto. Yummy!

Or, you can steam a bunch of broccoli or mushrooms the day before and use that liquid to make your risotto, Jonnie. It is also yummy.

To make a real yummy gravy that isn't all fatty, use corn starch instead of flour and you don't need a bunch of fat, only about a tablespoon, and sometimes only a teaspoon of vegan margarine. Saute most anything that tickles your fancy, mushrooms or scallions or leeks. Or steam broccoli and them run it through the blender until it is liquid or aspargus.

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 11:13 AM

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Version: 7.1.361 / Virus Database: 267.12.4/146 - Release 10/21/2005

I also use sushi rice. Makes great risotto because it doesn't take as long to cook to a creamy consistancy <g> and that works for me!

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 2:49 PM

So you cook the arborrio rice on low heat with just the rice to toast it, then you put in some veg broth until it cooks down, add some more, etc for about 30 mins? You bake the squash in the oven until it's soft with nothing done to it? Gee, I know I used to cook once upon a time, but this doesn't seem to be like riding a bike! I can definately still do that!

My DH reminded me that the 3 layer bean casserole was like one I used to make, only instead of hashbrowns on top, I used mashed potatoes. I kept thinking it reminded me of something while eating it!