IndiaDivine.org

Butternut Squash Risotto

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Butternut Squash Risotto

Servings = 4 | Serving size = about 2 cups

This recipe can easily be multiplied by 2. Leftovers are good. Reheat gently.

1 – 2 lb.

butternut squash

spray olive oil

2 tsp.

extra virgin olive oil

1 large

leek

1/2 medium

red onion (diced)

1 cup

arborio rice

3 cups

water

1 cup

non-fat chicken stock

1/4 cup

dry sherry

1/4 tsp.

salt

fresh ground black pepper to taste

1/4 tsp.

ground paprika

1 1/2 ounces

Parmigiano-Reggiano (grated)

1/2 cup

Italian parsley leaves

Preheat the oven to 325°F.

Slice the squash lengthwise and remove the seeds. Spray lightly with olive oil and place in the preheated oven, cut side up. Roast the squash for about 1 hour, until slightly tender.

Remove from the oven and let cool. The squash will have a small amount of liquid in the cavity. After it is cool, drain the liquid and place the squash on a cutting board, cut side down.

Gently peel the skin away from the squash. Slice across the squash parallel to the cutting board, dividing into three slices. Keep the shape of the squash intact. Slice lengthwise at about 1/4 inch intervals and then crosswise, so as to divide into 1/2 inch cubes. Set aside.

Slice the root off of the leek. Slice the leek in half, separating the white from the green tops. Clean the green tops under running water and slice very thin. Slice the white part of the leek very thin lengthwise and clean well.

Heat the olive oil in a large sauce pan over high heat and add the green part of the leek. Reduce the heat to medium-high and cook very slowly. Stir frequently.

When the leek is wilted, add the white part of the leek and the diced red onion. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for about five minutes, until the onions begin to soften.

Place the rice in the pan with the onions and leeks and stir for about 3 minutes. Add two cups of water, the chicken stock, sherry, salt and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat stirring frequently. Add the remaining water, 1 cup at a time.

Add the ground paprika and continue cooking. The rice will take about 20 to 25 minutes to cook and may require more water be added. Stir frequently, using about 1/2 cup of water at a time as needed, until the rice is soft but not mushy and there is a small amount of creamy sauce.

Stir in the Parmigiano-Reggiano until it is melted and then gently fold in the diced butternut squash and parsley.

Nutrition Facts

Serving size: About 2 cups risotto | Servings: 4

Calories 411 | Calories from Fat 45

Amount Per Serving (% Daily Value)

Total Fat 5g (8%) | Saturated Fat 3g (15%)

Cholesterol 10mg (4%)

Sodium 379mg (16%)

Total Carbohydrates 76g (26%) | Dietary Fiber 1g (4%)

Protein 11g

Vitamin A 354% | Vitamin C 92% | Calcium 28% | Iron 18%

FareChase - Search multiple travel sites in one click.

That would be the traditional Italian recipe. One changes out the chicken stock for veggie stock and leave out the cheese.

I change all these recipes for youngest kidlet.

Lynda

-

fraggle

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 3:11 PM

Re: Butternut Squash Risotto

Ummm

chicken stock?

cheese?

I would like to give risotto one more try, but all the recipes I've seen are with wine. I'm hoping to find one that has some wonderful spices in it, since we like a lot of flavor. Anybody have any ideas? I thought the one with leaks and onions in it would have been that one, but there wasn't much flavor.Lynda <lurine wrote:

That would be the traditional Italian recipe. One changes out the chicken stock for veggie stock and leave out the cheese.

Lynda

-

fraggle

Ummm

chicken stock?

cheese?

joonie said:

I would like to give risotto one more try, but all the recipes I've seen are with wine. I'm hoping to find one that has some wonderful spices in it, since we like a lot of flavor. Anybody have any ideas? I thought the one with leaks and onions in it would have been that one, but there wasn't much flavor.

Risotto with Broccoli RabeIngredients (use vegan versions):

1 cup arborio rice (don't use regular white rice) 1 can of vegetable broth, heated (heat the broth, not the can) 1 and 3/4 cup hot water 5-7 garlic cloves, chopped 4 tablespoon olive oil 1 tablespoon vegan sugar (unrefined, if you got it) 1 bunch broccoli rabe, thick stems trimmed off (substitutions listed below) 2 tablespoon pine nuts (optional) Salt, pepper to taste Directions: Before cooking, go rent "Big Night" to watch with the meal later. Enjoy the long discussion about risotto and its merits in the movie. Appreciate how far that guy who played "Antonio" on Wings can go as an actor. Now, if you're using pine nuts, toast them in a dry skillet over medium heat for a minute or two until you can smell them. Set pine nuts aside for later. Divide the oil equally among two separate skillets. In one, saute the garlic and broccoli rabe with the vegan sugar and a small amount of salt and pepper over medium heat about 7 minutes. Meanwhile, in the other skillet, saute the arborio rice in olive oil for a minute over medium heat. Then to the rice, begin adding hot liquid (start with either the broth or water or a mixture) 1/2 cup at a time. Stir until the rice has absorbed the liquid, then add another 1/2 cup. Keep up this process. Don't stop stirring. When you've added the whole of the liquid (which is 3 1/2 cups), the rice will be soft. Add the broccoli rabe and optional pine nuts to the rice. Serve immediately or the creamy texture of the dish will turn clumpy and icky. Risotto waits for no man, and, unlike revenge, becomes all clumpy and gummy when served cold. No matter how tempting, don't use normal white rice. This is the second and last warning I will give you on the subject. If you can't find broccoli rabe (a.k.a. broccoli rapini), feel free to substitute another green or your favorite vegetable. Broccolini, asparagus, regular broccoli, and spinach would all work well in this. Leave out the vegan sugar if you use a substitution; it's only in there because the rabe is slightly bitter. Serves: approx. 3

Roasted Acorn Squash Risotto

Ingredients (use vegan versions):

1 acorn squash, halved, seeded 8 vegetarian 'sausage' links 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil 1/2 sweet onion, diced 3 garlic cloves, minced 1/2 teaspoon good curry powder, to taste freshly grated nutmeg, to taste 1 1/2 cups Italian Arborio rice, uncooked 1/2 cup dry sherry (optional) 3 cups organic vegetable broth plus 1/2 cup water, heated chopped pecans for garnish chopped fresh parsley for garnish

Directions:

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Roast the acorn squash by placing the two halves cut side down on a well oiled baking sheet. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until fork tender. Remove from the oven, and let cool for a few minutes. Scoop out the roasted squash from the skins and set aside. Spray a non-stick skillet with olive oil and heat over medium heat. Gently fry the vegetarian sausages until they are golden brown. Remove from heat and set aside. In a heavy saucepan, heat the olive oil on medium heat, and sauté the onion and garlic for 3 minutes. Add the curry, spices, and uncooked Arborio rice and stir well, until the rice is coated. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the sherry, and 1 cup of the broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered, stirring frequently for 7-8 minutes. When most of the liquid is absorbed, add the remaining cups of broth 1 cup at a time, stirring and simmering until each cup of liquid is absorbed before adding the next one. (The whole process should take about 20-25 minutes.) When the final cup of liquid is mostly absorbed, add in the roasted squash and mix well. Break up the sausages into bite-size pieces, and add them in. Continue stirring with a wooden spoon until the rice is creamy, yet still retains some "bite". Add freshly ground pepper, cover and set aside for a few moments before serving. Risotto likes to 'rest' a bit before you indulge! Warm up four serving bowls. Spoon this delicious risotto into the bowls, and garnish with some chopped pecans and fresh parsley. ©2000-2001 Karri Allrich: Recipes from a Vegetarian Goddess Serves: 4 Preparation time: 45 minutes

Coconut Lime Rice

olive oil for sautéing 1 tablespoon ginger, peeled & minced 1 cup basmati rice 1 cup water 1 teaspoon salt 1 can light or regular coconut milk 1 tablespoon lime juice 2 cup spinach, de-stemmed 1 teaspoon vegan sugar

Directions:

Heat oil in a medium pot or pan. Add ginger and rice, and sauté for 30 sec- 1 min. Add water, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1 cup coconut milk. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook until rice is tender (about 15-20 mins). While rice is cooking, add rest of coconut milk, remaining salt, lime juice, spinach, and vegan sugar to a food processor or blender and puree. When rice is done cooking, add puree to pot or pan, and simmer a few additional minutes to allow the flavors to blend.

Serves: 4 Preparation time: 30 mins

But they've all gone mad now

Well you'd be pretty mad too

If what happened to cows happened to you

Having your children taken away

Forced to stand in a pen each day

Fed the shit from other dead things

Then chopped to bits...

O.K., here's what to do.

Chop up VERY finely some garlic and onion and saute in some EVOO and vegan margarine over a very low heat. Set aside and forget for about an hour. This will realllllly permeat the flavor in your oil!

While your oil is "resting," roast a red bell pepper (burn the heck out of it). Put it in a plastic bag or a tupper ware bowl. Run under cold water and skin it. Julliene it and set aside.

Brush some portabello mushrooms and broil. Slice and set aside.

Toss some almonds in some organic soy sauce and roast in the oven. Then slice.

Now, strain your EVOO, set aside the garlic and onions. Heat the oil and stir fry your rice. Add hot veggie broth and begin your risotto. When done, stir back in your garlic, onions, your julienned bell peppers, mushrooms, sprinkle with some garlic chives and your almonds.

Just before you serve this, broil some zucchini that sliced lengthwise and brushed with EVOO and sprinkled with Italian spices.

Serve with sourdough french bread that you have brushed with olive oil and clove of garlic and broiled.

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Thursday, October 27, 2005 1:14 PM

I would like to give risotto one more try, but all the recipes I've seen are with wine. I'm hoping to find one that has some wonderful spices in it, since we like a lot of flavor. Anybody have any ideas? I thought the one with leaks and onions in it would have been that one, but there wasn't much flavor.Lynda <lurine wrote:

Lynda

-

fraggle

Ummm

chicken stock?

cheese?

Thanks fraggle! Heat the broth not the can, eh? What exactly is broccoli rabe? It says it's bitter which is why you need the sugar, but I don't think I've seen it in stores.fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

joonie said:

I would like to give risotto one more try, but all the recipes I've seen are with wine. I'm hoping to find one that has some wonderful spices in it, since we like a lot of flavor. Anybody have any ideas? I thought the one with leaks and onions in it would have been that one, but there wasn't much flavor.

Risotto with Broccoli RabeIngredients (use vegan versions):

1 cup arborio rice (don't use regular white rice) 1 can of vegetable broth, heated (heat the broth, not the can) 1 and 3/4 cup hot water 5-7 garlic cloves, chopped 4 tablespoon olive oil 1 tablespoon vegan sugar (unrefined, if you got it) 1 bunch broccoli rabe, thick stems trimmed off (substitutions listed below) 2 tablespoon pine nuts (optional) Salt, pepper to taste Directions: Before cooking, go rent "Big Night" to watch with the meal later. Enjoy the long discussion about risotto and its merits in the movie. Appreciate how far that guy who played "Antonio" on Wings can go as an actor. Now, if you're using pine nuts, toast them in a dry skillet over medium heat for a minute or two until you can smell them. Set pine nuts aside for later. Divide the oil equally among two separate skillets. In one, saute the garlic and broccoli rabe with the vegan sugar and a small amount of salt and pepper over medium heat about 7 minutes. Meanwhile, in the other skillet, saute the arborio rice in olive oil for a minute over medium heat. Then to the rice, begin adding hot liquid (start with either the broth or water or a mixture) 1/2 cup at a time. Stir until the rice has absorbed the liquid, then add another 1/2 cup. Keep up this process. Don't stop stirring. When you've added the whole of the liquid (which is 3 1/2 cups), the rice will be soft. Add the broccoli rabe and optional pine nuts to the rice. Serve immediately or the creamy texture of the dish will turn clumpy and icky. Risotto waits for no man, and, unlike revenge, becomes all clumpy and gummy when served cold. No matter how tempting, don't use normal white rice. This is the second and last warning I will give you on the subject. If you can't find broccoli rabe (a.k.a. broccoli rapini), feel free to substitute another green or your favorite vegetable. Broccolini, asparagus, regular broccoli, and spinach would all work well in this. Leave out the vegan sugar if you use a substitution; it's only in there because the rabe is slightly bitter. Serves: approx. 3

Roasted Acorn Squash Risotto

1 acorn squash, halved, seeded 8 vegetarian 'sausage' links 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil 1/2 sweet onion, diced 3 garlic cloves, minced 1/2 teaspoon good curry powder, to taste freshly grated nutmeg, to taste 1 1/2 cups Italian Arborio rice, uncooked 1/2 cup dry sherry (optional) 3 cups organic vegetable broth plus 1/2 cup water, heated chopped pecans for garnish chopped fresh parsley for garnish

Directions:

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Roast the acorn squash by placing the two halves cut side down on a well oiled baking sheet. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until fork tender. Remove from the oven, and let cool for a few minutes. Scoop out the roasted squash from the skins and set aside. Spray a non-stick skillet with olive oil and heat over medium heat. Gently fry the vegetarian sausages until they are golden brown. Remove from heat and set aside. In a heavy saucepan, heat the olive oil on medium heat, and sauté the onion and garlic for 3 minutes. Add the curry, spices, and uncooked Arborio rice and stir well, until the rice is coated. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the sherry, and 1 cup of the broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered, stirring frequently for 7-8 minutes. When most of the liquid is absorbed, add the remaining cups of broth 1 cup at a time, stirring and simmering until each cup of liquid is absorbed before adding the next one. (The whole process should take about 20-25 minutes.) When the final cup of liquid is mostly absorbed, add in the roasted squash and mix well. Break up the sausages into bite-size pieces, and add them in. Continue stirring with a wooden spoon until the rice is creamy, yet still retains some "bite". Add freshly ground pepper, cover and set aside for a few moments before serving. Risotto likes to 'rest' a bit before you indulge! Warm up four serving bowls. Spoon this delicious risotto into the bowls, and garnish with some chopped pecans and fresh parsley. ©2000-2001 Karri Allrich: Recipes from a Vegetarian Goddess Serves: 4 Preparation time: 45 minutes

Coconut Lime Rice

olive oil for sautéing 1 tablespoon ginger, peeled & minced 1 cup basmati rice 1 cup water 1 teaspoon salt 1 can light or regular coconut milk 1 tablespoon lime juice 2 cup spinach, de-stemmed 1 teaspoon vegan sugar

Directions:

Heat oil in a medium pot or pan. Add ginger and rice, and sauté for 30 sec- 1 min. Add water, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1 cup coconut milk. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook until rice is tender (about 15-20 mins). While rice is cooking, add rest of coconut milk, remaining salt, lime juice, spinach, and vegan sugar to a food processor or blender and puree. When rice is done cooking, add puree to pot or pan, and simmer a few additional minutes to allow the flavors to blend. Serves: 4 Preparation time: 30 mins

But they've all gone mad now

Well you'd be pretty mad too

If what happened to cows happened to you

Having your children taken away

Forced to stand in a pen each day

Fed the shit from other dead things

Then chopped to bits...

Thanks! Sounds really yumME!Lynda <lurine wrote:

O.K., here's what to do.

Chop up VERY finely some garlic and onion and saute in some EVOO and vegan margarine over a very low heat. Set aside and forget for about an hour. This will realllllly permeat the flavor in your oil!

While your oil is "resting," roast a red bell pepper (burn the heck out of it). Put it in a plastic bag or a tupper ware bowl. Run under cold water and skin it. Julliene it and set aside.

Brush some portabello mushrooms and broil. Slice and set aside.

Toss some almonds in some organic soy sauce and roast in the oven. Then slice.

Now, strain your EVOO, set aside the garlic and onions. Heat the oil and stir fry your rice. Add hot veggie broth and begin your risotto. When done, stir back in your garlic, onions, your julienned bell peppers, mushrooms, sprinkle with some garlic chives and your almonds.

Just before you serve this, broil some zucchini that sliced lengthwise and brushed with EVOO and sprinkled with Italian spices.

Serve with sourdough french bread that you have brushed with olive oil and clove of garlic and broiled.

Lynda

-

Jonnie Hellens

Thursday, October 27, 2005 1:14 PM

Lynda

-

fraggle

Ummm

chicken stock?

cheese?

• 2 weeks later...

Try something more flavorful for your secondary ingredient.

Olives or marinated artichike hearts or load the risotto with

various mushrooms....I also like roasted peppers.

In the springtime I add fresh English peas, too.

One of my favorite versions has fresh corn, creamed and whole

kernals. It ends up being like a corn-chowder risotto, but its

really good.

I'll post specific recipes next time I make it (usually once a week.)

Get creative. White wine adds a certain flavor, but diluted

vinegars (rice wine, champagne vinegars) can add similar flavors

once deconstructed with heat...

, Jonnie Hellens

<jonnie_hellens> wrote:

>

> I would like to give risotto one more try, but all the recipes

I've seen are with wine. I'm hoping to find one that has some

wonderful spices in it, since we like a lot of flavor. Anybody have

any ideas? I thought the one with leaks and onions in it would have

been that one, but there wasn't much flavor.

>

> Lynda <lurine@s...> wrote:That would be the traditional Italian

recipe. One changes out the chicken stock for veggie stock and

leave out the cheese.

>

> I change all these recipes for youngest kidlet.

>

> Lynda

> -

> fraggle

>

> Wednesday, October 26, 2005 3:11 PM

> Re: Butternut Squash Risotto

>

>

> Ummm

> chicken stock?

> cheese?