IndiaDivine.org

first bear shot by eight year old

Rate this topic

Guest guest

yup...gots to teach yer youngins to kill earlier and earlier... "zurumato" Oct 27, 2005 3:03 PM veganchat first bear shot by eight year old

On Tuesday, October 25, the Baltimore Sun front page and the front page of the Washington Post Metro Section shared the news that an eight-year old girl made the first kill in Maryland's second bear hunt since 1953.The Washington Post piece, headed, "Girl, 8, Credited With Year's 1st Bear Kill; 2 Rounds Did It, Md. Hunter Says" reads surprisingly like a pro-hunting fluff piece . It opens:"There's a new hunting legend in the mountains of Western Maryland. "Born to the woods, she's 41/2 feet tall and 8 years old, with a shock of light brown hair and a steady trigger finger that put two bullets into a black bear's chest cavity Monday, according to her and her father and granduncle, who were hunting with her. State officials backed the claim by Sierra Stiles and credited her with the first kill of Maryland's second bear season since hunting the animals resumed after a half-century ban. "Maryland Department of Natural Resources officials, waiting to take measurements and tissue samples from the bears at a wildlife management center here, shook their heads in amazement at the news that the first hunter to bag a bear was a third-grade girl from Kitzmiller, on Maryland's border with West Virginia. "Sierra recounted here how she shot the 211-pound bear from 50 yards away with her .243-caliber rifle. 'I was scared,' she said, then paused for dramatic emphasis. 'Because bears will eat anything!'" The piece does mention a news release from The Humane Society of the United States, which noted that the first bear killed last year was a young bear and says, "Governor Ehrlich is personally responsible for exposing young children and young bears to this cruelty." But then it goes on to describe Sierra's feat and excitement, and then to tell us that the third hunter to come in with a dead bear was a 23 year old woman, who said of the eight year old hunter: "That's good to see any kids out there, especially girls." Then the article ends with a quote from Paul Peditto, director of DNR's wildlife and heritage service: "The ladies are taking over. And it's a good thing." If you disagree, please send a letter to the editor explaining why. The Washington Post takes letters at lettersYou can read the whole Post article on line at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/24/AR2005102402024.html ORhttp://tinyurl.com/9jmxf The Baltimore Sun Tuesday, October 25, front page piece is headed "Youngest marksman gets her bear first, as hunt begins in Md."It gives similar information.And it tells us:"Sierra's bear, which she plans to turn into a rug, was one of 13 to be registered with game officers yesterday at the Mount Nebo Wildlife Management Area just north of Oakland, with two others weighed-in at a state office in Frostburg. It was the first day of a season expected to last three or four days, or until at least 40 are killed, twice as many as last year, state officials said. The plan is to kill no more than 55 bears this year.And of Sierra's experience with bears: "Sierra said she had a teddy bear at home, but had never seen a live bear before, except in a zoo."You will find the whole piece on line at http://tinyurl.com/b8dr6The front page story opens the door for letters to the editor The Baltimore Sun takes letters on line at http://www.baltimoresun.com/about/bal-feedback,0,6119824.htmlstory or you can send email to letters . The paper advises, "Be sure to include contact information, including your full name and both day and evening phone numbers."Yours and the animals',Karen Dawn

I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.

-Alan Watts

To send an email to -

On Tuesday, October 25, the Baltimore Sun front page and the front page of the Washington Post Metro Section shared the news that an eight-year old girl made the first kill in Maryland's second bear hunt since 1953.The Washington Post piece, headed, "Girl, 8, Credited With Year's 1st Bear Kill; 2 Rounds Did It, Md. Hunter Says" reads surprisingly like a pro-hunting fluff piece . It opens:"There's a new hunting legend in the mountains of Western Maryland. "Born to the woods, she's 41/2 feet tall and 8 years old, with a shock of light brown hair and a steady trigger finger that put two bullets into a black bear's chest cavity Monday, according to her and her father and granduncle, who were hunting with her. State officials backed the claim by Sierra Stiles and credited her with the first kill of Maryland's second bear season since hunting the animals resumed after a half-century ban. "Maryland Department of Natural Resources officials, waiting to take measurements and tissue samples from the bears at a wildlife management center here, shook their heads in amazement at the news that the first hunter to bag a bear was a third-grade girl from Kitzmiller, on Maryland's border with West Virginia. "Sierra recounted here how she shot the 211-pound bear from 50 yards away with her .243-caliber rifle. 'I was scared,' she said, then paused for dramatic emphasis. 'Because bears will eat anything!'" The piece does mention a news release from The Humane Society of the United States, which noted that the first bear killed last year was a young bear and says, "Governor Ehrlich is personally responsible for exposing young children and young bears to this cruelty." But then it goes on to describe Sierra's feat and excitement, and then to tell us that the third hunter to come in with a dead bear was a 23 year old woman, who said of the eight year old hunter: "That's good to see any kids out there, especially girls." Then the article ends with a quote from Paul Peditto, director of DNR's wildlife and heritage service: "The ladies are taking over. And it's a good thing." If you disagree, please send a letter to the editor explaining why. The Washington Post takes letters at lettersYou can read the whole Post article on line at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/24/AR2005102402024.html ORhttp://tinyurl.com/9jmxf The Baltimore Sun Tuesday, October 25, front page piece is headed "Youngest marksman gets her bear first, as hunt begins in Md."It gives similar information.And it tells us:"Sierra's bear, which she plans to turn into a rug, was one of 13 to be registered with game officers yesterday at the Mount Nebo Wildlife Management Area just north of Oakland, with two others weighed-in at a state office in Frostburg. It was the first day of a season expected to last three or four days, or until at least 40 are killed, twice as many as last year, state officials said. The plan is to kill no more than 55 bears this year.And of Sierra's experience with bears: "Sierra said she had a teddy bear at home, but had never seen a live bear before, except in a zoo."You will find the whole piece on line at http://tinyurl.com/b8dr6The front page story opens the door for letters to the editor. The Baltimore Sun takes letters on line at http://www.baltimoresun.com/about/bal-feedback,0,6119824.htmlstory or you can send email to letters . The paper advises, "Be sure to include contact information, including your full name and both day and evening phone numbers."Yours and the animals',Karen Dawn

I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.

-Alan Watts

Silly people, Davy Crockett was only 3.

Lynda

-

zurumato

veganchat

Thursday, October 27, 2005 3:03 PM

first bear shot by eight year old

On Tuesday, October 25, the Baltimore Sun front page and the front page of the Washington Post Metro Section shared the news that an eight-year old girl made the first kill in Maryland's second bear hunt since 1953.The Washington Post piece, headed, "Girl, 8, Credited With Year's 1st Bear Kill; 2 Rounds Did It, Md. Hunter Says" reads surprisingly like a pro-hunting fluff piece . It opens:"There's a new hunting legend in the mountains of Western Maryland. "Born to the woods, she's 41/2 feet tall and 8 years old, with a shock of light brown hair and a steady trigger finger that put two bullets into a black bear's chest cavity Monday, according to her and her father and granduncle, who were hunting with her. State officials backed the claim by Sierra Stiles and credited her with the first kill of Maryland's second bear season since hunting the animals resumed after a half-century ban. "Maryland Department of Natural Resources officials, waiting to take measurements and tissue samples from the bears at a wildlife management center here, shook their heads in amazement at the news that the first hunter to bag a bear was a third-grade girl from Kitzmiller, on Maryland's border with West Virginia. "Sierra recounted here how she shot the 211-pound bear from 50 yards away with her .243-caliber rifle. 'I was scared,' she said, then paused for dramatic emphasis. 'Because bears will eat anything!'" The piece does mention a news release from The Humane Society of the United States, which noted that the first bear killed last year was a young bear and says, "Governor Ehrlich is personally responsible for exposing young children and young bears to this cruelty." But then it goes on to describe Sierra's feat and excitement, and then to tell us that the third hunter to come in with a dead bear was a 23 year old woman, who said of the eight year old hunter: "That's good to see any kids out there, especially girls." Then the article ends with a quote from Paul Peditto, director of DNR's wildlife and heritage service: "The ladies are taking over. And it's a good thing." If you disagree, please send a letter to the editor explaining why. The Washington Post takes letters at lettersYou can read the whole Post article on line at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/24/AR2005102402024.html ORhttp ://tinyurl.com/9jmxf The Baltimore Sun Tuesday, October 25, front page piece is headed "Youngest marksman gets her bear first, as hunt begins in Md."It gives similar information.And it tells us:"Sierra's bear, which she plans to turn into a rug, was one of 13 to be registered with game officers yesterday at the Mount Nebo Wildlife Management Area just north of Oakland, with two others weighed-in at a state office in Frostburg. It was the first day of a season expected to last three or four days, or until at least 40 are killed, twice as many as last year, state officials said. The plan is to kill no more than 55 bears this year.And of Sierra's experience with bears: "Sierra said she had a teddy bear at home, but had never seen a live bear before, except in a zoo."You will find the whole piece on line at http://tinyurl.com/b8dr6The front page story opens the door for letters to the editor. The Baltimore Sun takes letters on line at http://www.baltimoresun.com/about/bal-feedback,0,6119824.htmlstory or you can send email to letters . The paper advises, "Be sure to include contact information, including your full name and both day and evening phone numbers."Yours and the animals',Karen Dawn

-Alan Watts

Version: 7.1.362 / Virus Database: 267.12.5/150 - Release 10/27/2005

And on another very scary note ...

They recently shot a 660 pound bear in Crivitz, WI. on the road across

from my family's land. This bear has been attacking dogs and other

farm animals, chasing people and doing alot of destruction in general.

This bear was so bold, it came right up to my cousins steps of their

house to view the barking dogs inside.

It has been very scary up for about 2 years now.

I am not glad they killed him, but I can say I am glad he is gone.

It got very scary at night leaving their house to walk to the car 10

feet away. And this is country, so it is dark.

I only wish they could have done this another way. But they did save

alot of other animals lives.

Nikki

, " zurumato@e... " <zurumato@e...>

wrote:

>

> On Tuesday, October 25, the Baltimore Sun front page and the front

page of the Washington Post Metro Section shared the news that an

eight-year old girl made the first kill in Maryland's second bear hunt

since 1953.

>

<<SNIP>>

Why didn't they do the relocation program with it?

Lynda

-

" earthstrm " <nikkimack

Thursday, October 27, 2005 3:32 PM

Re: first bear shot by eight year old

> And on another very scary note ...

>

> They recently shot a 660 pound bear in Crivitz, WI. on the road across

> from my family's land. This bear has been attacking dogs and other

> farm animals, chasing people and doing alot of destruction in general.

>

> This bear was so bold, it came right up to my cousins steps of their

> house to view the barking dogs inside.

>

> It has been very scary up for about 2 years now.

>

> I am not glad they killed him, but I can say I am glad he is gone.

>

> It got very scary at night leaving their house to walk to the car 10

> feet away. And this is country, so it is dark.

>

> I only wish they could have done this another way. But they did save

> alot of other animals lives.

>

> Nikki

if a bear attacks ppl er farm animals er hangs around, then he is a nusiance and

must be killed

in ppl, we call em warheroes

earthstrm <nikkimack

Oct 27, 2005 3:32 PM

And on another very scary note ...

They recently shot a 660 pound bear in Crivitz, WI. on the road across

from my family's land. This bear has been attacking dogs and other

farm animals, chasing people and doing alot of destruction in general.

This bear was so bold, it came right up to my cousins steps of their

house to view the barking dogs inside.

It has been very scary up for about 2 years now.

I am not glad they killed him, but I can say I am glad he is gone.

It got very scary at night leaving their house to walk to the car 10

feet away. And this is country, so it is dark.

I only wish they could have done this another way. But they did save

alot of other animals lives.

Nikki

But they've all gone mad now

Well you'd be pretty mad too

If what happened to cows happened to you

Having your children taken away

Forced to stand in a pen each day

Fed the shit from other dead things

Then chopped to bits...

Hi Nikki

It must have been scary! Thankfully we don't have bears here, but

where I live there are no street lights - just plain dark - so I can

imagine what it felt like.

Jo

, " earthstrm " <nikkimack@m...> wrote:

>

> And on another very scary note ...

>

> They recently shot a 660 pound bear in Crivitz, WI. on the road

across

> from my family's land. This bear has been attacking dogs and other

> farm animals, chasing people and doing alot of destruction in

general.

>

> This bear was so bold, it came right up to my cousins steps of

their

> house to view the barking dogs inside.

>

> It has been very scary up for about 2 years now.

>

> I am not glad they killed him, but I can say I am glad he is gone.

>

> It got very scary at night leaving their house to walk to the car

> feet away. And this is country, so it is dark.

>

> I only wish they could have done this another way. But they did

save

> alot of other animals lives.

>

> Nikki

>

>

> , " zurumato@e... " <zurumato@e...>

> wrote:

> >

> > On Tuesday, October 25, the Baltimore Sun front page and the

front

> page of the Washington Post Metro Section shared the news that an

> eight-year old girl made the first kill in Maryland's second bear

hunt

> since 1953.

> >

> <<SNIP>>

>

Why didn't " who " do " what " relocation program with it?

I don't know who shot the bear, do you? My family didn't shoot him.

They just tried to stay away from him! :) And unfortunately my

cousin's hubby does hunt, but even with the personal " attacks " , he

did leave this guy alone.

That's not to say if the bear charged him or the family he wouldn't

defend them or anything, but he never sought out this bear to my

knowledge.

I just heard the story of the bear being shot then received the

newspaper clipping from my Dad showing the bear with the story.

Sorry but I was in no way involved and therefore cannot answer your

question.

Feel free to contact the local Crivitz, WI authorities and/or

newspaper and ask them. Or call the local farmers and ask them why

they didn't relocate the bear who killed their animals. Seriously.

For all I know they tried. I doubt it knowing some of the locals,

and of course I wish/hope they had. But Lynda I in know way am

directly involved with this other than passing on a story and

telling my personal glimpse of it.

I was simply letting ya all know of a personal story on bears and my

limited involvement with it. Sorry you read more into this than

there was on my knowledge of the subject. But I would never say I

knew more about something if I didn't.

Nikki

, " Lynda " <lurine@s...> wrote:

>

> Why didn't they do the relocation program with it?

>

> Lynda

> -

> " earthstrm " <nikkimack@m...>

>

> Thursday, October 27, 2005 3:32 PM

> Re: first bear shot by eight year old

>

>

> > And on another very scary note ...

> >

> > They recently shot a 660 pound bear in Crivitz, WI. on the road

across

> > from my family's land.

<<SNIP>>

Hi Jo

Very scary! I was honestly petrified of walking to the car after dark.

But on the other hand the poor bear was just doing his thing.

That was one of the reasons my cousin cited as to why he wouldn't hunt

it. Though the bear had damaged their property, he never actually

attacked anyone or thing on his land other than naturally hunting

wildlife for food.

And even though it chased one of the dogs to the house, it still never

killed anything.

So he felt it was not right to hunt it. Which kinda surprised me

because my cousin does hunt unfortunately.

I wish they had found another way to remove the bear. But I do know

that the family is a bit more at ease with it gone now too.

BB

Nikki

, " heartwerk " <jo.heartwork@g...>

wrote:

>

> Hi Nikki

>

> It must have been scary! Thankfully we don't have bears here, but

> where I live there are no street lights - just plain dark - so I can

> imagine what it felt like.

>

> Jo

I think we assumed that it was shot by local fish and game...

er if the bear was a danger, why didn't fish and game get involved and relocate

it...

it may suck for someone to lose *their* animals(i shudder to use that word that

way)

and be afraid

but...

i don't recall it being ok to walk around shooting ppl you happen to be afraid

of..well..maybe in florida...

my back neighbor totally ruined my backyard...threatened my partner, threatened

her dog when she brought her over, etc

but..would it be ok fer me to take out a shotgun and kill em?

why is it ok to kill a bear then?

just askin

hugs and stuff

fraggle

earthstrm <nikkimack

Oct 28, 2005 4:29 AM

Why didn't " who " do " what " relocation program with it?

I don't know who shot the bear, do you? My family didn't shoot him.

They just tried to stay away from him! :) And unfortunately my

cousin's hubby does hunt, but even with the personal " attacks " , he

did leave this guy alone.

That's not to say if the bear charged him or the family he wouldn't

defend them or anything, but he never sought out this bear to my

knowledge.

I just heard the story of the bear being shot then received the

newspaper clipping from my Dad showing the bear with the story.

Sorry but I was in no way involved and therefore cannot answer your

question.

Feel free to contact the local Crivitz, WI authorities and/or

newspaper and ask them. Or call the local farmers and ask them why

they didn't relocate the bear who killed their animals. Seriously.

For all I know they tried. I doubt it knowing some of the locals,

and of course I wish/hope they had. But Lynda I in know way am

directly involved with this other than passing on a story and

telling my personal glimpse of it.

I was simply letting ya all know of a personal story on bears and my

limited involvement with it. Sorry you read more into this than

there was on my knowledge of the subject. But I would never say I

knew more about something if I didn't.

Nikki

, " Lynda " <lurine@s...> wrote:

>

> Why didn't they do the relocation program with it?

>

> Lynda

> -

> " earthstrm " <nikkimack@m...>

>

> Thursday, October 27, 2005 3:32 PM

>

>

> > And on another very scary note ...

> >

> > They recently shot a 660 pound bear in Crivitz, WI. on the road

across

> > from my family's land.

<<SNIP>>

To send an email to -

hmm

i wonder who did shoot it then.....

state officials er a local..er the sheriff, er....

earthstrm <nikkimack

Oct 28, 2005 4:39 AM

Hi Jo

Very scary! I was honestly petrified of walking to the car after dark.

But on the other hand the poor bear was just doing his thing.

That was one of the reasons my cousin cited as to why he wouldn't hunt

it. Though the bear had damaged their property, he never actually

attacked anyone or thing on his land other than naturally hunting

wildlife for food.

And even though it chased one of the dogs to the house, it still never

killed anything.

So he felt it was not right to hunt it. Which kinda surprised me

because my cousin does hunt unfortunately.

I wish they had found another way to remove the bear. But I do know

that the family is a bit more at ease with it gone now too.

BB

Nikki

wrote:

>

> Hi Nikki

>

> It must have been scary! Thankfully we don't have bears here, but

> where I live there are no street lights - just plain dark - so I can

> imagine what it felt like.

>

> Jo

To send an email to -

Texas, dear, Texas. It is o.k. to shot people in Texas. In fact, there is

some such law! Believe it or not!

Lynda

-

" fraggle " <EBbrewpunx

>I think we assumed that it was shot by local fish and game...

> er if the bear was a danger, why didn't fish and game get involved and

> relocate it...

>

> it may suck for someone to lose *their* animals(i shudder to use that word

> that way)

> and be afraid

> but...

> i don't recall it being ok to walk around shooting ppl you happen to be

> afraid of..well..maybe in florida...

>

> my back neighbor totally ruined my backyard...threatened my partner,

> threatened her dog when she brought her over, etc

> but..would it be ok fer me to take out a shotgun and kill em?

> why is it ok to kill a bear then?

> just askin

> hugs and stuff

> fraggle

Not sure - but my Dad had the newspaper clipping so I can ask him.

The picture looked like a local standing next to the bear.

It was a very sad picture.

Nikki

, fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:

>

> hmm

> i wonder who did shoot it then.....

> state officials er a local..er the sheriff, er....

>

>

> earthstrm <nikkimack@m...>

> Oct 28, 2005 4:39 AM

>

>

> Hi Jo

>

> Very scary! I was honestly petrified of walking to the car after

dark.

>

> But on the other hand the poor bear was just doing his thing.

>

> That was one of the reasons my cousin cited as to why he wouldn't

hunt

> it. Though the bear had damaged their property, he never actually

> attacked anyone or thing on his land other than naturally hunting

> wildlife for food.

>

> And even though it chased one of the dogs to the house, it still

never

> killed anything.

>

> So he felt it was not right to hunt it. Which kinda surprised me

> because my cousin does hunt unfortunately.

>

> I wish they had found another way to remove the bear. But I do

know

> that the family is a bit more at ease with it gone now too.

>

> BB

> Nikki

>

Ah, and see I have no idea of who shot it at all. I told you all I

knew of the story.

One day my Dad called and said " remember the bear at Patty &

Kent's? " and I said " Yes " . He said " They shot it and it was 660

lbs. " I said " Kent shot it?! " and he said " No, I don't know who. But

Patty sent a picture from the paper in her last note to me and the

bear is huge " .

And then I told you what I knew from past experiences.

Sorry if you guys thought I knew more.

And I don't remember saying that I thought it was ok either. I think

I was just trying to convey all I knew about it. Sorry if you guys

got the wrong impression too.

I guess all I was saying is direct the " why is it ok " question to

the people who did it and think it is ok as well as the other

questions that I couldn't answer.

I guess perhaps I should only tell stories I know all angles on so

there are no misconceptions and/or assumptions. :)

((hugz)) right back at ya!

Nikki

, fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:

>

> I think we assumed that it was shot by local fish and game...

> er if the bear was a danger, why didn't fish and game get involved

and relocate it...

>

> it may suck for someone to lose *their* animals(i shudder to use

that word that way)

> and be afraid

> but...

> i don't recall it being ok to walk around shooting ppl you happen

to be afraid of..well..maybe in florida...

>

> my back neighbor totally ruined my backyard...threatened my

partner, threatened her dog when she brought her over, etc

> but..would it be ok fer me to take out a shotgun and kill em?

> why is it ok to kill a bear then?

> just askin

> hugs and stuff

> fraggle

>

LOL!

BB

Nikki

wrote:

>

> ... that would be a bear hug presumably :-)

>

> Jo

>

> , fraggle <EBbrewpunx@e...> wrote:

> >

>

> > just askin

> > hugs and stuff

> > fraggle

>