We usually have nut roast in flaky pastry, with sausages and rashers,

brussels, broccoli, carrots, roast potatoes and parsnips, and

stuffing. Last year insted of Christmas pud we had syrup pud as

everyone seems to like that better.

Jo

, peter hurd <swpgh01@t...> wrote:

>

> Another Chrimbo dinner of the usual veg, plus a christmas cracker

surprise ( flaky pastry with two types of filling.

> I have been invited to a three course vegan meal in Cardiff on the

7th of December by South Wales Animal Protection, so may take my

carniverous wife to sample it.

> Wot You havin`?

> The Valley Vegan........

>

> heartwerk <jo.heartwork@g...> wrote:

> \hi \peter

>

> What do you reckon you will have for Christmas dinner this year???

>

> Jo

>

> , peter hurd wrote:

> >

> > Yep, its that time of year when the crowded, unaturally fattened

> turkeys breath their last, and die an often paiful death, just so the

> public can feast on their flesh. The flesh incidentally, that for the

> rest of the year doesnt seem to appeal, and their over sized carcases,

> dont even fit in some ovens! so they have to buy " crowns " ( carcasses

> with the bones ripped out )

> > Very sad indeed............

> >

> > The Valley Vegan..............

>

To send an email to -

>

I never have the analogues, and dont like sprouts or broccoli. I usually dont have dessert either.............I will have the odd drink or two though!

The Valley Vegan.............heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:

That sounds similar to us. The vegan meal in Cardiff sounds like agood idea. Let us know what you have.We usually have nut roast in flaky pastry, with sausages and rashers,brussels, broccoli, carrots, roast potatoes and parsnips, andstuffing. Last year insted of Christmas pud we had syrup pud aseveryone seems to like that better.Jo , peter hurd wrote:>> Another Chrimbo dinner of the usual veg, plus a christmas crackersurprise ( flaky pastry with two types of filling.> I have been invited to a three course vegan meal in Cardiff on the7th of December by South Wales Animal Protection, so may take mycarniverous wife to sample it.> Wot You havin`?> The Valley Vegan........> > heartwerk wrote:> \hi \peter>

> What do you reckon you will have for Christmas dinner this year???> > Jo> > , peter hurd wrote:> >> > Yep, its that time of year when the crowded, unaturally fattened> turkeys breath their last, and die an often paiful death, just so the> public can feast on their flesh. The flesh incidentally, that for the> rest of the year doesnt seem to appeal, and their over sized carcases,> dont even fit in some ovens! so they have to buy "crowns" ( carcasses> with the bones ripped out )> > Very sad indeed............> > > > The Valley Vegan..............> > > > > > > > To send an email to - >

Hi,

We don't really celebrate xmas in a big way but we have fallen into a pattern of

having a

few close friends round on xmas eve for a vegan meal, going to my elderly Mum's

on xmas

day and my friend's place (his elderly father is 82 and does not like change)

on boxing

day. My friend's sister usually cooks. She does sprouts, parsnip, mashed potato,

carrots,

gravy and veggie burgers for us and she and father may have something meaty

instead.

Unfortunately Mum does not understand vegan food. In particular she does not

understand that a vegan meal needs nutritional balance. I have bought her vegan

recipe

books but she does not seem to like cooking new things. Can you recommend a UK

source

of how to cater for vegans at xmas which I could send her?

.. , " jo " <jo.heartwork@g...> wrote:

>

> I love sprouts and broccoli, any vegetables really. They always were my

favourite part of

a meal.

>

> Do you not like deserts or are you watching calories?

>

> Jo

> -

> peter hurd

>

> Sunday, November 27, 2005 9:39 PM

> Re: Re: Chrimbo.....

>

>

> I never have the analogues, and dont like sprouts or broccoli. I usually

dont have

dessert either.............I will have the odd drink or two though!

>

> The Valley Vegan.............

>

> heartwerk <jo.heartwork@g...> wrote:

> That sounds similar to us. The vegan meal in Cardiff sounds like a

> good idea. Let us know what you have.

>

> We usually have nut roast in flaky pastry, with sausages and rashers,

> brussels, broccoli, carrots, roast potatoes and parsnips, and

> stuffing. Last year insted of Christmas pud we had syrup pud as

> everyone seems to like that better.

>

> Jo

>

> , peter hurd wrote:

> >

> > Another Chrimbo dinner of the usual veg, plus a christmas cracker

> surprise ( flaky pastry with two types of filling.

> > I have been invited to a three course vegan meal in Cardiff on the

> 7th of December by South Wales Animal Protection, so may take my

> carniverous wife to sample it.

> > Wot You havin`?

> > The Valley Vegan........

> >

> > heartwerk wrote:

> > \hi \peter

> >

> > What do you reckon you will have for Christmas dinner this year???

> >

> > Jo

> >

> > , peter hurd wrote:

> > >

> > > Yep, its that time of year when the crowded, unaturally fattened

> > turkeys breath their last, and die an often paiful death, just so the

> > public can feast on their flesh. The flesh incidentally, that for the

> > rest of the year doesnt seem to appeal, and their over sized carcases,

> > dont even fit in some ovens! so they have to buy " crowns " ( carcasses

> > with the bones ripped out )

> > > Very sad indeed............

> > >

> > > The Valley Vegan..............

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > To send an email to -

> >

I haven't looked at the Vegetarian Society website this year, but they

usually have a Christmas section, and some of the recipes may be vegan. My

favourite book is Rose Elliott's Vegan Feasts, which has a section for

Christmas.

I find that lots of normal restaurants/pubs don't understand that vegans

need a source of protein. Very often their vegan dishes are just

vegetables, and may taste nice, but is not well balanced nutritionally.

Jo

-

" herbvalerian " <herbvalerian

Monday, November 28, 2005 4:52 PM

Re: Chrimbo.....

> Hi,

> We don't really celebrate xmas in a big way but we have fallen into a

pattern of having a

> few close friends round on xmas eve for a vegan meal, going to my elderly

Mum's on xmas

> day and my friend's place (his elderly father is 82 and does not like

change) on boxing

> day. My friend's sister usually cooks. She does sprouts, parsnip, mashed

potato, carrots,

> gravy and veggie burgers for us and she and father may have something

meaty instead.

> Unfortunately Mum does not understand vegan food. In particular she does

not

> understand that a vegan meal needs nutritional balance. I have bought her

vegan recipe

> books but she does not seem to like cooking new things. Can you recommend

a UK source

> of how to cater for vegans at xmas which I could send her?

>

> . , " jo " <jo.heartwork@g...> wrote:

> >

> > I love sprouts and broccoli, any vegetables really. They always were my

favourite part of

> a meal.

> >

> > Do you not like deserts or are you watching calories?

> >

> > Jo

> > -

> > peter hurd

> >

> > Sunday, November 27, 2005 9:39 PM

> > Re: Re: Chrimbo.....

> >

> >

> > I never have the analogues, and dont like sprouts or broccoli. I

usually dont have

> dessert either.............I will have the odd drink or two though!

> >

> > The Valley Vegan.............

> >

> > heartwerk <jo.heartwork@g...> wrote:

> > That sounds similar to us. The vegan meal in Cardiff sounds like a

> > good idea. Let us know what you have.

> >

> > We usually have nut roast in flaky pastry, with sausages and

rashers,

> > brussels, broccoli, carrots, roast potatoes and parsnips, and

> > stuffing. Last year insted of Christmas pud we had syrup pud as

> > everyone seems to like that better.

> >

> > Jo

> >

> > , peter hurd wrote:

> > >

> > > Another Chrimbo dinner of the usual veg, plus a christmas cracker

> > surprise ( flaky pastry with two types of filling.

> > > I have been invited to a three course vegan meal in Cardiff on the

> > 7th of December by South Wales Animal Protection, so may take my

> > carniverous wife to sample it.

> > > Wot You havin`?

> > > The Valley Vegan........

> > >

> > > heartwerk wrote:

> > > \hi \peter

> > >

> > > What do you reckon you will have for Christmas dinner this year???

> > >

> > > Jo

> > >

> > > , peter hurd wrote:

> > > >

> > > > Yep, its that time of year when the crowded, unaturally fattened

> > > turkeys breath their last, and die an often paiful death, just so

the

> > > public can feast on their flesh. The flesh incidentally, that for

the

> > > rest of the year doesnt seem to appeal, and their over sized

carcases,

> > > dont even fit in some ovens! so they have to buy " crowns " (

carcasses

> > > with the bones ripped out )

> > > > Very sad indeed............

> > > >

> > > > The Valley Vegan..............

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > To send an email to

-

> > >

Watching Calories?.......................I am 5foot 10 and 10 stone and have been for the last 4 or 5 years! I dont normally have desserts, dont come from that kind of background really.

The Valley Vegan............jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

I love sprouts and broccoli, any vegetables really. They always were my favourite part of a meal.

Do you not like deserts or are you watching calories?

Jo

-

peter hurd

Sunday, November 27, 2005 9:39 PM

Re: Re: Chrimbo.....

I never have the analogues, and dont like sprouts or broccoli. I usually dont have dessert either.............I will have the odd drink or two though!

That sounds similar to us. The vegan meal in Cardiff sounds like agood idea. Let us know what you have.We usually have nut roast in flaky pastry, with sausages and rashers,brussels, broccoli, carrots, roast potatoes and parsnips, andstuffing. Last year insted of Christmas pud we had syrup pud aseveryone seems to like that better.Jo , peter hurd wrote:>> Another Chrimbo dinner of the usual veg, plus a christmas crackersurprise ( flaky pastry with two types of filling.> I have been invited to a three course vegan meal in Cardiff on the7th of December by South Wales Animal Protection, so may take mycarniverous wife to sample it.> Wot You havin`?> The Valley Vegan........> > heartwerk wrote:> \hi \peter>

> What do you reckon you will have for Christmas dinner this year???> > Jo> > , peter hurd wrote:> >> > Yep, its that time of year when the crowded, unaturally fattened> turkeys breath their last, and die an often paiful death, just so the> public can feast on their flesh. The flesh incidentally, that for the> rest of the year doesnt seem to appeal, and their over sized carcases,> dont even fit in some ovens! so they have to buy "crowns" ( carcasses> with the bones ripped out )> > Very sad indeed............> > > > The Valley Vegan..............> > > > > > > > To send an email to - >

What sort of background?

When I was a kid we used to have deserts every day (lovely sponge puds, rice pud etc.) My dad worked in a factory and my mum worked at the local grocer shop. I must admit we don't have desert very often because I don't need the extra calories .... but it would be nice.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Monday, November 28, 2005 6:48 PM

Watching Calories?.......................I am 5foot 10 and 10 stone and have been for the last 4 or 5 years! I dont normally have desserts, dont come from that kind of background really.

I love sprouts and broccoli, any vegetables really. They always were my favourite part of a meal.

Jo

-

peter hurd

That sounds similar to us. The vegan meal in Cardiff sounds like agood idea. Let us know what you have.We usually have nut roast in flaky pastry, with sausages and rashers,brussels, broccoli, carrots, roast potatoes and parsnips, andstuffing. Last year insted of Christmas pud we had syrup pud aseveryone seems to like that better.Jo , peter hurd wrote:>> Another Chrimbo dinner of the usual veg, plus a christmas crackersurprise ( flaky pastry with two types of filling.> I have been invited to a three course vegan meal in Cardiff on the7th of December by South Wales Animal Protection, so may take mycarniverous wife to sample it.> Wot You havin`?> The Valley Vegan........> > heartwerk wrote:> \hi \peter> > What do you reckon you will have for Christmas dinner this year???> > Jo> > , peter hurd wrote:> >> > Yep, its that time of year when the crowded, unaturally fattened> turkeys breath their last, and die an often paiful death, just so the> public can feast on their flesh. The flesh incidentally, that for the> rest of the year doesnt seem to appeal, and their over sized carcases,> dont even fit in some ovens! so they have to buy "crowns" ( carcasses> with the bones ripped out )> > Very sad indeed............> > > > The Valley Vegan..............> > > > > > > > To send an email to - >

i rarely have desserts as well

never had em when i was a wee fraggle..well..we didn't have a set dessert anyways...had snacks and such.....but never dessert after dinner er anything like that....

had an AMAZING tofu chocolate pie on thanxfernuthin tho..

unfortunately i could barely eat any, as was already stuffed by the time it showed up..

and someone else brought a vegan tirimisu as well...

*drool*

jo Nov 28, 2005 11:23 AM Re: Re: Chrimbo.....

What sort of background?

When I was a kid we used to have deserts every day (lovely sponge puds, rice pud etc.) My dad worked in a factory and my mum worked at the local grocer shop. I must admit we don't have desert very often because I don't need the extra calories .... but it would be nice.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Jo

-

peter hurd

That sounds similar to us. The vegan meal in Cardiff sounds like agood idea. Let us know what you have.We usually have nut roast in flaky pastry, with sausages and rashers,brussels, broccoli, carrots, roast potatoes and parsnips, andstuffing. Last year insted of Christmas pud we had syrup pud aseveryone seems to like that better.Jo , peter hurd wrote:>> Another Chrimbo dinner of the usual veg, plus a christmas crackersurprise ( flaky pastry with two types of filling.> I have been invited to a three course vegan meal in Cardiff on the7th of December by South Wales Animal Protection, so may take mycarniverous wife to sample it.> Wot You havin`?> The Valley Vegan........> > heartwerk wrote:> \hi \peter> > What do you reckon you will have for Christmas dinner this year???> > Jo> > , peter hurd wrote:> >> > Yep, its that time of year when the crowded, unaturally fattened> turkeys breath their last, and die an often paiful death, just so the> public can feast on their flesh. The flesh incidentally, that for the> rest of the year doesnt seem to appeal, and their over sized carcases,> dont even fit in some ovens! so they have to buy "crowns" ( carcasses> with the bones ripped out )> > Very sad indeed............> > > > The Valley Vegan..............> > > > > > > > To send an email to - >

Why don`t I get invited to partys like that!, probably cause I dont know any vegans!

Still, 7th of December I am dragging the wif to a 3 course vegan Christmas meal in Cardiff in aid of South Wales Animal Protection, should be good.....

The Valley Vegan...............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

never had em when i was a wee fraggle..well..we didn't have a set dessert anyways...had snacks and such.....but never dessert after dinner er anything like that....

unfortunately i could barely eat any, as was already stuffed by the time it showed up..

*drool*

What sort of background?

Jo

-

peter hurd

Jo

-

peter hurd

We didnt have much when I was little, We had breakfast ( cereal), main (cooked) meal around mid day, and then tea ( which was usually sandwiches or cake or fruit something sweet ) around 4 or 5 oclock, and then nowt till morning. When I was older I went home from school for my dinner, and this only really changed when I started work, then I had sandwiches at work around mid day, and a cooked meal when I got home.Must be why I`m so skinny!, although I do tend to pig out when I get home from work now!

The Valley Vegan...........jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

What sort of background?

Jo

-

peter hurd

Jo

-

peter hurd

next year yer invited

its not just vegans tho....

its our annual thanxfernuthin gathering....our *family* event....

this year was a tad smaller..somewhere between 120-150 ppl showed

we left early tho(about 11pm) as i got a raging lymph infection..yuck

anyways...fer vegan food they had..umm..let me think...ummm

we brought thai coconut green curry...with rice, tofu, portabello mushrooms, some other mushroom i'm fergetting, garlic, coconut milk, peppers, onions, bok choy, peas, and some other stuff i'm sure i'm forgetting...

we also brought vegan drumstix...baked in coconut milk and sesame sauce...

lets see..wot was there veganny besides wot we brought

two tofurky's

wasabi mashed potatoes

lasagna

two different seitan dishes

a couple pumpkin pies

2 of those chocolate tofu pies

an apple pie

tirimisu

and some other stuff i'm forgetting..i can remember the pots and everything..just not wot was in em!

:)

cheers

fraggle_chat] Re: Chrimbo.....

Why don`t I get invited to partys like that!, probably cause I dont know any vegans!

Still, 7th of December I am dragging the wif to a 3 course vegan Christmas meal in Cardiff in aid of South Wales Animal Protection, should be good.....

The Valley Vegan...............

Don't need no politician

Tell me things I ought to be Neither no optician

Tell me what I ought to see

No one tells you nothing

Even when you know they know

They tell you what you should be

They don't like to see you grow

They both sound delicious. I have a recipe for a chocolate tart. It is made with cream, but I will make it with soya cream.

Jo

-

fraggle

Monday, November 28, 2005 7:32 PM

*drool*

What sort of background?

Jo

-

peter hurd

Jo

-

peter hurd

When I was a kid we had breakfast of porage or cereal - dinner at school which was dinner and desert, and then sandwiches or something on toast in the evening. Now I can't face breakfast before I go to work so I take a soya yogurt to eat when I get there. I take a sandwich or rice salad for lunch, with an apple and banana, and then have dinner in the evening.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Monday, November 28, 2005 7:49 PM

We didnt have much when I was little, We had breakfast ( cereal), main (cooked) meal around mid day, and then tea ( which was usually sandwiches or cake or fruit something sweet ) around 4 or 5 oclock, and then nowt till morning. When I was older I went home from school for my dinner, and this only really changed when I started work, then I had sandwiches at work around mid day, and a cooked meal when I got home.Must be why I`m so skinny!, although I do tend to pig out when I get home from work now!

The Valley Vegan...........jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

What sort of background?

Jo

-

peter hurd

Jo

-

peter hurd