Dr Who

Rate this topic

Guest guest

27 November 2005

THE SECRET DIARY OF DR WHO, AGED 14 3 /4

DAVID'S 20-YEAR-OLD TIMELORD ESSAY

By Marion Scott

DR WHO star David Tennant predicted he would play the TV time

traveller... in a school essay written 20 years ago.

The 14-year-old sci-fi nut was so obsessed with the show he got his gran

to knit him a long, multi-coloured scarf - just like his favourite

Doctor, Tom Baker.

The scarf featured regularly in his essays until English teacher Moira

Robertson warned him to " exterminate " the references or he could end up

failing his exams.

Moira, who taught David at Paisley Grammar School, was so impressed with him

that she kept a copy of his story " Intergalactic Overdose " . It

reads " I had a habit. It was as bad as it could get. I needed help to

stop, but I didn't care. I wanted more and more.

" You see, I was a junkie, a Doctor Who junkie. When I was old enough, I

was convinced that I was going to play the part of the Doctor on TV. "

Moira said: " He must have been calling on his powers as a Timelord

because he was so utterly convinced that he would be Doctor Who.

" I was unaware that the bright wee boy I was teaching had the amazing

power to shift time and predict the future... but he certainly did. "

Moira revealed David first showed his acting talent while at the school,

adding: " Although he was very talented, he certainly didn't act 'I'm the

greatest.' " But if there was one boy who had star quality... he was it. "

Tennant, 34, who will starin a two-hour Dr Who special on Christmas Day,

last night paid tribute to his old teacher.

He said: " She made me first realise the possibilities of great

literature - J.D. Salinger, Harper Lee, Orwell and Arthur Miller. And it

was Moira who first guided me towards a dim understanding of what

Shakespeare could be about

• 2 weeks later...

I think Jon Pertwee`s portrayal was what the Dr was supposed to be , an outsider and superior being, so I suppose he would have been patronising and condescending, but when you are 10 or 11, you dont think about such things. Plus a lot of it was filmed in Wales, particularly the series in an old mine 2 miles up the road from here! ( cant remember the name of it , but there were a lot of giant wriggly bugs/worm type tings involved ). Jon used to drive the car all over the place and was often seen driving through town! The Valley Vegan..............Peter <metalscarab wrote: Hi Peter > I think I would put Jon Pertwee

first, then Tom Baker, then Patrick Troughton. I think Jon Pertwee did a great job... I just didn't like the character that he had - way too patronising and condescending to everyone, with very little kindness. > Sorry Peter, I guess I voted for the ones I grew up watching as a sprog. I think most people do - just to be different, I go for the one who stopped 5 years before I was born! BB Peter Peter H

Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail

Hi Peter

> I think Jon Pertwee`s portrayal was what the Dr was supposed to be , an outsider and superior being, so I suppose he

> would have been patronising and condescending, but when you are 10 or 11, you dont think about such things.

I think William Hartnell had that concept down much better - he had a certain level of kindness with his portrayal.

> Plus a lot of it was filmed in Wales, particularly the series in an old mine 2 miles up the road from here! ( cant remember the

> name of it , but there were a lot of giant wriggly bugs/worm type tings involved ). Jon used to drive the car all over the place

> and was often seen driving through town!

It was The Green Death... with the wonderful CSO technology in it's early days!!!

A lot of the new series has been filmed in Wales as well....

BB

Peter

More than a lot, most of it has....well it is a BBC Wales production!. We keep getting streets in Cardiff suddenly transported to London!, with stree signs and double decker buses etc,and closed off streets and stuff while they are filming. They have filmed mostly in Cardiff, down Swansea way and in the Newport area. Not been up here yet though! The Valley Vegan.............. Peter <metalscarab wrote: Hi Peter > I think Jon Pertwee`s portrayal was what the Dr was supposed to be , an outsider and superior being, so I suppose he > would have been patronising and condescending, but

when you are 10 or 11, you dont think about such things. I think William Hartnell had that concept down much better - he had a certain level of kindness with his portrayal. > Plus a lot of it was filmed in Wales, particularly the series in an old mine 2 miles up the road from here! ( cant remember the > name of it , but there were a lot of giant wriggly bugs/worm type tings involved ). Jon used to drive the car all over the place > and was often seen driving through town! It was The Green Death... with the wonderful CSO technology in it's early days!!! A lot of the new series has been filmed in Wales as well....

BB Peter Peter H

Play Santa's Celebrity Xmas Party, an exclusive game from