IndiaDivine.org

Racist?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Interesting article in the Sunday Times about the sentances being handed down to murderers. Seems that the evidence points to the police/judiciory system being "careful" with non-whites when handing down sentances to avoid being seen as racist? Seems if your white and murder someone, you get a longer sentance? http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1901952,00.html The Valley Vegan...................Peter H

Play Santa's Celebrity Xmas Party, an exclusive game from

Interesting because here in the U.S. it is exactly the opposite and the stats prove it. If you are black the chances are you will definitely get a stiffer sentence or end up on death row. Particularly if you are black and the victim was white. If the victim was black you might even go free. If you are white and kill a black person you will get a lighter sentence and less chance of the death row. Death row is filled with black, poor and undereducated. One thing also is that our judicial system, lawyers, is so expensive only the ones that can afford it get decent defenses. The pro bono attorneys are usually the young, overworked attorney without much experience. The Black community is bitter and rightly so, that their young men are all in prison. Racism is very much alive, well, and thriving here in the U.S.

linda

"Whatever you do will be insignificant and it is very important that you do it."Mohandas Gandhi

linda's Growing Stitchery Projects: womyn47

-

peter hurd

Monday, December 05, 2005 11:05 AM

Re: Racist?

Interesting article in the Sunday Times about the sentances being handed down to murderers. Seems that the evidence points to the police/judiciory system being "careful" with non-whites when handing down sentances to avoid being seen as racist? Seems if your white and murder someone, you get a longer sentance?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1901952,00.html

The Valley Vegan...................

Peter H

Hi Linda / Peter

I didn't get Peter's original post, so I'll answer both together....

I'm really surprised by the stats. About 4 years ago in the UK, non-whites were 7 times more likely to get a custodial sentence than whites. I'd say that whenever I see someone being pulled over by the police, or searched (except for on activism type things where everyone is a suspected terrorist), they are almost always non-white!

BB

Peter

-

linda

Tuesday, December 06, 2005 3:31 AM

Interesting because here in the U.S. it is exactly the opposite and the stats prove it. If you are black the chances are you will definitely get a stiffer sentence or end up on death row. Particularly if you are black and the victim was white. If the victim was black you might even go free. If you are white and kill a black person you will get a lighter sentence and less chance of the death row. Death row is filled with black, poor and undereducated. One thing also is that our judicial system, lawyers, is so expensive only the ones that can afford it get decent defenses. The pro bono attorneys are usually the young, overworked attorney without much experience. The Black community is bitter and rightly so, that their young men are all in prison. Racism is very much alive, well, and thriving here in the U.S.

linda

"Whatever you do will be insignificant and it is very important that you do it."Mohandas Gandhi

-

peter hurd

Interesting article in the Sunday Times about the sentances being handed down to murderers. Seems that the evidence points to the police/judiciory system being "careful" with non-whites when handing down sentances to avoid being seen as racist? Seems if your white and murder someone, you get a longer sentance?

Peter H

ah..profiling....

when will the fun never cease... Peter Dec 6, 2005 10:09 AM Re: Racist?

Hi Linda / Peter

I'm really surprised by the stats. About 4 years ago in the UK, non-whites were 7 times more likely to get a custodial sentence than whites. I'd say that whenever I see someone being pulled over by the police, or searched (except for on activism type things where everyone is a suspected terrorist), they are almost always non-white!

BB

Peter

-

linda

linda

-

peter hurd

Peter H

To send an email to -

I agree, in the late 70`s early 80`s the sus law caused no end of bother to the black community, particularly in London. I think the message the paper article was trying to portray is that they have to be careful for fear of being deemed racist. Therefore now in the so called PC society, they are scared of being sued, nowadys non whites are generally more wealthy than years ago and can afford top notch lawyers and have access to lots of support groups with louder voices. Dont know whether I beilieve this or not, but if true , it would be sort of reverse racism surely? The Valley Vegan...............Peter <metalscarab wrote: Hi Linda / Peter I didn't get Peter's original post, so I'll answer both together.... I'm really surprised by the stats. About 4 years ago in the UK, non-whites were 7 times more likely to get a custodial sentence than whites. I'd say that whenever I see someone being pulled over by the police, or searched (except for on activism type things where everyone is a suspected terrorist), they are almost always non-white! BB Peter - linda Tuesday, December 06, 2005 3:31 AM Re: Racist? Interesting because here in the U.S. it is exactly the opposite and the stats prove it. If you are black the chances are you will definitely get a stiffer sentence or end up on death row. Particularly if you are black and the victim was white. If the victim was black you might even go free. If you are white and kill a black person you will get a lighter sentence and less chance of the death row. Death row is filled with black, poor and undereducated. One thing also is that our judicial system,

lawyers, is so expensive only the ones that can afford it get decent defenses. The pro bono attorneys are usually the young, overworked attorney without much experience. The Black community is bitter and rightly so, that their young men are all in prison. Racism is very much alive, well, and thriving here in the U.S. linda "Whatever you do will be insignificant and it is very important that you do it."Mohandas Gandhi linda's Growing Stitchery Projects: womyn47 - peter

hurd Monday, December 05, 2005 11:05 AM Re: Racist? Interesting article in the Sunday Times about the sentances being handed down to murderers. Seems that the evidence points to the police/judiciory system being "careful" with non-whites when handing down sentances to avoid being seen as racist? Seems if your white and murder someone, you get a longer sentance? http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1901952,00.html The Valley Vegan................... Peter H Play Santa's Celebrity Xmas Party, an exclusive game from Peter H

Racial profiling is always at the top of the list in community discusses about police tactics.

linda

-

Peter

Tuesday, December 06, 2005 10:09 AM

Hi Linda / Peter

BB

Peter

-

linda

linda

-

peter hurd

Peter H

What you talking bout Fraggle!

Jo

-

fraggle

Tuesday, December 06, 2005 6:50 PM

ah..profiling....

when will the fun never cease... Peter Dec 6, 2005 10:09 AM Re: Racist?

Hi Linda / Peter

BB

Peter

-

linda

linda

-

peter hurd

Peter H

To send an email to -

Maybe it's just London where poorer blacks live then.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Tuesday, December 06, 2005 6:51 PM

I agree, in the late 70`s early 80`s the sus law caused no end of bother to the black community, particularly in London.

I think the message the paper article was trying to portray is that they have to be careful for fear of being deemed racist. Therefore now in the so called PC society, they are scared of being sued, nowadys non whites are generally more wealthy than years ago and can afford top notch lawyers and have access to lots of support groups with louder voices.

Dont know whether I beilieve this or not, but if true , it would be sort of reverse racism surely?

The Valley Vegan...............Peter <metalscarab wrote:

Hi Linda / Peter

BB

Peter

-

linda

linda

-

peter hurd

Peter H

Peter H

profiling?

its when the police or figures in authority identify *potential* suspects by dress, color of skin, religion, etc

like pulling over anyone with dark colored skin in certain neighborhoods jo Dec 6, 2005 11:34 AM Re: Racist?

What you talking bout Fraggle!

Jo

-

fraggle

Tuesday, December 06, 2005 6:50 PM

ah..profiling....

when will the fun never cease...

Being a pacifist between wars is as easy as being a vegetarian between meals." --Ammon Hennacy

What stats was Peter on about?

I had a look at the original article in the Times, and the writer just seemed

to be

comparing two particularly nasty high profile murder cases. Both murders were

very

widely reported in the UK press and the murder of the black lad got a huge

amount of

publicity. Comparing 2 cases and then suggesting that because the 2 persons

convicted

had different sentences and extrapolating from that... that that white murders

are treated

unfairly, is just sensationalism.

I'm not accusing anyone here of that, definitely not, but perhaps the media is

guilty.

You've got to look at a wide range of statistics to be able to make judgements

abut

sentencing differences.

, " linda " <lindai81@c...> wrote:

>

> Racial profiling is always at the top of the list in community discusses about

police

tactics.

> linda

> " Whatever you do will be insignificant and it is very important that you do

it. "

> Mohandas Gandhi

>

> linda's Growing Stitchery Projects: womyn47

> -

> Peter

>

> Tuesday, December 06, 2005 10:09 AM

> Re: Racist?

>

>

> Hi Linda / Peter

>

> I didn't get Peter's original post, so I'll answer both together....

>

> I'm really surprised by the stats. About 4 years ago in the UK, non-whites

were 7 times

more likely to get a custodial sentence than whites. I'd say that whenever I see

someone

being pulled over by the police, or searched (except for on activism type things

where

everyone is a suspected terrorist), they are almost always non-white!

>

> BB

> Peter

> -

> linda

>

> Tuesday, December 06, 2005 3:31 AM

>

>

> Interesting because here in the U.S. it is exactly the opposite and the

stats prove it. If

you are black the chances are you will definitely get a stiffer sentence or end

up on death

row. Particularly if you are black and the victim was white. If the victim was

black you

might even go free. If you are white and kill a black person you will get a

lighter sentence

and less chance of the death row. Death row is filled with black, poor and

undereducated.

One thing also is that our judicial system, lawyers, is so expensive only the

ones that can

afford it get decent defenses. The pro bono attorneys are usually the young,

overworked

attorney without much experience. The Black community is bitter and rightly so,

that their

young men are all in prison. Racism is very much alive, well, and thriving here

in the U.S.

> linda

> " Whatever you do will be insignificant and it is very important that you

do it. "

> Mohandas Gandhi

>

> linda's Growing Stitchery Projects: womyn47

> -

> peter hurd

>

> Monday, December 05, 2005 11:05 AM

>

>

> Interesting article in the Sunday Times about the sentances being handed

down to

murderers. Seems that the evidence points to the police/judiciory system being

" careful "

with non-whites when handing down sentances to avoid being seen as racist? Seems

if

your white and murder someone, you get a longer sentance?

> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1901952,00.html

>

> The Valley Vegan...................

>

>

>

> Peter H

>

>

>

> --------

> Play Santa's Celebrity Xmas Party, an exclusive game from