IndiaDivine.org

Freegans/so interesting

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I suspect many of us in here could relate to this...I have heard of versions but now there is a name...of course I am always just behind. But now I am terrified that I am on this path....Susan?

Freeganism is a lifestyle based around adapting practical strategies to minimize personal consumer impact, cut financial support for the capitalist system that is destroying the earth and human and animal lives, and create new methods for people to survive and thrive based on sharing, mutual aid, social responsibility, and ecological concern. Freegan practices include dumpster diving for food, clothing, funiture, etc., squatting buildings, guerilla gardening, train hopping, and more.

http://freegan.info/?page=ARFreegan

http://freegan.info./

Kind of reminds me of the Rainbow Family. I am still reading about the Freegan lifestyle and haven't got much to say about it...just heard about it this morning. I doubt that I would ever dumpster dive though 'cause I'd never get out and would find myself in the landfills flatter than a sheet of paper.

linda

"Whatever you do will be insignificant and it is very important that you do it."Mohandas Gandhi

Hi Linda

> Freegan practices include dumpster diving for food,

> clothing, funiture, etc., squatting buildings, guerilla gardening,

> train hopping, and more.

I agree that some of this is OK - wouldn't personally want to "dumpster dive" for food or clothing. If I ever want any furniture, then there is an area about 15 minutes walk from where I live where furniture tends to get left on the pavement, and I know a lot of people who have almost completely furnished their homes with it!!! Don't know exactly what guerilla gardening is... but I *do* object to train hopping. All that does is put the prices up for everyone else using the service, and is quite often effectively the same as stealing. It's not like "dumpster diving" where the stuff is thrown out and not wanted, but it is taking money out of people's pockets... and often people who can't afford the luxuries of a car, so is just selfish - and doesn't make any difference to the environment either!

OK, rant over :-)

BB

Peter

:-) besides which, I think it is unethical to grow geurillas in your garden. YOu don't know where it will lead.

I agree about the train-hopping.

BBJo

-

Peter

Wednesday, December 07, 2005 6:16 PM

Re: Freegans/so interesting

Hi Linda

I agree that some of this is OK - wouldn't personally want to "dumpster dive" for food or clothing. If I ever want any furniture, then there is an area about 15 minutes walk from where I live where furniture tends to get left on the pavement, and I know a lot of people who have almost completely furnished their homes with it!!! Don't know exactly what guerilla gardening is... but I *do* object to train hopping. All that does is put the prices up for everyone else using the service, and is quite often effectively the same as stealing. It's not like "dumpster diving" where the stuff is thrown out and not wanted, but it is taking money out of people's pockets... and often people who can't afford the luxuries of a car, so is just selfish - and doesn't make any difference to the environment either!

BB

Peter

I use to dumpster dive all the time

when i was on the edge of homelessness, er squatted, that was how i ate half the dang time..

but..i never considered myself a freegan

while i agree with some of their ideals, and some of their ideas, way of doing things, etc...they are still livin off our capitalist/consumerist society...many of the freegans i talk with/know are allabout "i'm not part of this consumerist society, i'm against it all"..yet, they are living off the dregs and cast offs of that society...

without an amped up testosterone driven toss away economy, they wouldn't exist

but..eh...better to reuse all that stuff then have it end up in a landfill

as i've said here before...i don't think i even own a new piece of furniture...

everything was hand me downs, found, dumpster dove, bought at thrift stores, etc....

from my bed to couch, to dinner plates to tv's and vcr....

fraggle linda Dec 7, 2005 2:41 PM Re: Freegans/so interesting

Well, I don't think that most freegans do all of this. But the idea is great. I wouldn't dumpster dive or hop trains. But the ideas remind me that I could do more and better. I think that the philosophy that was stated on the opening page should remind us that some or most of what we do doesn't add to our lives really and makes life worse for others. The U.S.'s over consumption of just about everything makes the environment worse and makes countless lives worse around the world.

linda

"Whatever you do will be insignificant and it is very important that you do it."Mohandas Gandhi

linda's Growing Stitchery Projects: womyn47

-

Peter

Wednesday, December 07, 2005 10:16 AM

Hi Linda

BB

PeterTo send an email to -

not as much of a problem as with monkey works..

that just gets out of hand real quick.... jo Dec 7, 2005 2:56 PM Re: Freegans/so interesting

:-) besides which, I think it is unethical to grow geurillas in your garden. YOu don't know where it will lead.

BBJo

-

Peter

Hi Linda

BB

ROFL, well, here I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see a bunch of guerilla heads poking out of the ground. The FBI considers the small city I live in to be a hot bed of anarchists. I think though that it would be unethical to eat either one since we are vegans. Probably give you gas anyway. <grinning>

linda

jo

have no idea wot you call em then..i think it was *vans*?

the railroad cars that hold products..that they ship stuff in

Peter Dec 7, 2005 3:26 PM Re: Freegans/so interesting

Hi Fraggle

> train hopping is riding in boxcars peter.....

OK - thanks for the explanation.... but what's a boxcar????

BB

Peter

To send an email to -

What have I started - okay - what are monkey works :-)

Jo

-

fraggle

Wednesday, December 07, 2005 8:17 PM

not as much of a problem as with monkey works..

that just gets out of hand real quick.... jo Dec 7, 2005 2:56 PM Re: Freegans/so interesting

BBJo

-

Peter

Hi Linda

BB

I think we call them goods waggons.

BBJo

-

fraggle

Wednesday, December 07, 2005 9:20 PM

have no idea wot you call em then..i think it was *vans*?

the railroad cars that hold products..that they ship stuff in

Peter Dec 7, 2005 3:26 PM Re: Freegans/so interesting

Hi Fraggle

> train hopping is riding in boxcars peter.....

OK - thanks for the explanation.... but what's a boxcar????

BB

Peter

To send an email to -

Right - probably illegal because it's not safe - falling goods etc.

Jo

Fraggle wrote:

#no..its train hopping..its illegal....

you know..like riding the rails..

hobo trail

you jump on and ride on a boxcar....

you ride either on the outside er in empty box cars

of course its not safe...you could fall off, get yer foot squished er worse by a

train...

drivin/riding in a car ain't safe neither

:)

heartwerk <jo.heartwork

Dec 7, 2005 7:16 PM

Right - probably illegal because it's not safe - falling goods etc.

Jo

Fraggle wrote:

#no..its train hopping..its illegal....

you know..like riding the rails..

hobo trail

you jump on and ride on a boxcar....

To send an email to -

Peter, Now I`m worried I`m starting to agree with you now...............bring back Anarchy! I agree with you as a commuter about fare dodgers and the effect it has on us. Dumpster Diving could be asking for all sorts of diseases, and in a country where we are fairly well off, is on the whole totally uneccessary. Now if you were living in parts of Africa, yes you would have no choice to survive, but it seems to me that this is becoming a bit of a trendy thing, not a matter of survival at all for most of the Freegans. However, it does highlight the appaling amount of waste there is, and the stupid health laws which prevent some of the food being donated to homeless/charity as it is past its expiry date. The Valley Vegan................Peter <metalscarab wrote: Hi Linda > Freegan practices include dumpster diving for food, > clothing, funiture, etc., squatting buildings, guerilla gardening, > train hopping, and more. I agree that some of this is OK - wouldn't personally want to "dumpster dive" for food or clothing. If I ever want any furniture, then there is an area about 15 minutes walk from where I live where furniture tends to get left on the pavement, and I know a lot of people who have almost completely furnished their homes with it!!! Don't know exactly what guerilla gardening is... but I *do* object to train hopping. All that does is put the prices up for

everyone else using the service, and is quite often effectively the same as stealing. It's not like "dumpster diving" where the stuff is thrown out and not wanted, but it is taking money out of people's pockets... and often people who can't afford the luxuries of a car, so is just selfish - and doesn't make any difference to the environment either! OK, rant over :-) BB Peter Peter H

Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail