Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hello everyone! I just joined yesterday and have been catching up

with all the recent messages. I'm usually too shy to post intros, but

this group is so active I figure my post will get lost in the

shuffle, so why not :)

My name is Christa, I'm 25 yrs old and living in NW England. I'm

originally from TN and will be moving back there soon. I've been an

ovo-lacto veg for 13 years, and made the move to veganism last month.

I tried veganism before when I was younger, but I didn't have any

resources or support, not to mention I was terrified I was putting my

health at risk. I eventually fell by the wayside. I always felt

rather guilty, though, and finally I got fed up with having to ignore

that nagging inner voice that said " if you find the treatment of

animals on factory farms so appalling, WHY DO YOU STILL EAT

CHEESE?? " - so here I am. I feel better prepared for veganism this

time around, knowing that my health needn't suffer on a vegan diet.

Isn't it strange how we've been led to believe we're dependent on the

milk of another species to stay alive! Anyway, that's me.

Wondering if there are any other Southern vegans out there, and if

so, how do you cope? I find that the UK is in general more tolerant

of vegeterians/vegans, even though I don't actually know any here,

it's well catered for (vegetarianism is, anyway) and nobody raises an

eyebrow when they find out you're vegan. Back home, though, some

people still honestly believed I'd DIE from lack of meat, and

swearing off all animal products, well - you really just signed your

own death warrant! Another thing is my family really loves to go out

to eat at down-home-style Southern restaurants. I coped well enough

as an ovo-lacto, but I'm afraid this might be impossible as a vegan.

I see a LOT of fried okra in my dining-out future (unless there is

egg/milk in the batter, and there probably will be). Luckily my

friends are more open to Japanese/Italian/etc places which shouldn't

be as much of a hassle.

Oh, I've been reading some of the " Hitler was a vegetarian "

discussion - I'm no Hitler expert but I always read that he was put

on a vegetarian diet by his doctor as a possible remedy for his

digestion problems. He only did it for a couple of years, and even

then " cheated " often with pig knuckles etc. Don't know if this was

taken by the Nazi propaganda machine and used to his advantage or

what.

Also, if you happen to be in the UK and you still crave the

taste/texture of cheese - I stumbled upon a package of " Cheezly " at

Holland & Barrett, and it is amazing! I got the Nacho flavor and it

went great with my refried beans and rice. I hope there's something

half this good available when I go back to America.

- Christa

Hi Christa! I'm Katherine, I don't post here a lot, mostly because I get so far behind in reading the posts, that by the time I read them, there's a new topic being discussed! I'm a relatively "new" vegan, Only about a year or so, and I really thought it would be difficult (ok, giving up cheese was hard), but so far it's been relatively easy! I live in rural VA, so not quite as bad as TN, but pretty close. My house is around lots of hunters, fishers, and republicans (hey, I can group them like that, right?). I'm actually going to TN for Christmas, my best friend lives there, and she's a veggie, although not yet a vegan (I'm working on it though!). I became a vegan for the same kind of reasons you did...I felt like a hypocrite telling people about animal rights when I still endorsed some of them.

Sadly, I was looking online, and there's not too many places in TN that are vegan friendly. I moved from DC a couple months ago, and I could always find places to eat, there are even many restaurants that are only vegan! but since moving here, no vegan, even vegetarian restaurants. Luckily, many chain restaurants are starting to offer vegetarian and vegan friendly food, not much, but it's a start. For example, Applebees and Chilis, and even Fudruckers offer veggie burgers. Most places now offer veggie burgers, so if your friends want to go to an American restaurant, those are good choices. Some are vegan, some aren't, but you can always ask. Also, the buns some of them use aren't always vegan, but I've come to the decision that if the animal product is less than 2% while eating out, I can get over it. I'd rather be working towards incorporating more vegetarian food into mainstream than shunning myself from the ret of the world. If there's a demand for it, there will be more supply. Most of the time when eating out, we usually get some sort of ethnic food. Again, this was much easier in DC, but it's still doable where I live. Chinese restaurants almost always have tofu, and when it's pan fried with veggies and sauce, it's great. it took me awhile to get used to tofu, and pan frying it really helped me deal with the texture. Now I even crave it! Thai food is also good, just make sure there's no fish sauce added to the dish. My favorite food is Indian, but I don't know how many Indian restaurants there are in Tennessee. Because of their religion, there's tons of vegetarian dishes, you just have to make sure they don't have ghee in them, which is basically butter. Even Ethiopian food has lots of vegetarian dishes, but again, I have a feeling there aren't many Ethiopian restaurants in TN. Oh, Middle Eastern Restaurants are also great, they have hummus, falafel, baba ganoush, mujadarrah, and tons more. I could go on forever about how many vegetarian options there are. It seems like American chains though have the least options though. However, they are starting to get better. Burger King has a veggie burger, Taco Bell is great for fast, cheap food (even though it's not great, lol).

As far as fake cheese goes, there are vegan cheeses here, but some of them aren't great. There's also cheesy dips and macaroni and "cheese", they're pretty good, they don't really taste like cheese though. Road's End Organics has something called "Chreese" that I really like. If you go to a natural foods store you can get vegan cheese. You can also buy online. I think TN has the grocery store Wild Oats, that would have the cheese, also Whole Foods.

Well, sorry I wrote so much, but I had to talk about my favorite subject--food!! I hope that gives you some good ideas! Oh, and welcome to the group!

~Katherine

-

Christa

Wednesday, December 07, 2005 6:53 AM

Intro + other stuff

Hello everyone! I just joined yesterday and have been catching up with all the recent messages. I'm usually too shy to post intros, but this group is so active I figure my post will get lost in the shuffle, so why not :)My name is Christa, I'm 25 yrs old and living in NW England. I'm originally from TN and will be moving back there soon. I've been an ovo-lacto veg for 13 years, and made the move to veganism last month. I tried veganism before when I was younger, but I didn't have any resources or support, not to mention I was terrified I was putting my health at risk. I eventually fell by the wayside. I always felt rather guilty, though, and finally I got fed up with having to ignore that nagging inner voice that said "if you find the treatment of animals on factory farms so appalling, WHY DO YOU STILL EAT CHEESE??" - so here I am. I feel better prepared for veganism this time around, knowing that my health needn't suffer on a vegan diet. Isn't it strange how we've been led to believe we're dependent on the milk of another species to stay alive! Anyway, that's me. Wondering if there are any other Southern vegans out there, and if so, how do you cope? I find that the UK is in general more tolerant of vegeterians/vegans, even though I don't actually know any here, it's well catered for (vegetarianism is, anyway) and nobody raises an eyebrow when they find out you're vegan. Back home, though, some people still honestly believed I'd DIE from lack of meat, and swearing off all animal products, well - you really just signed your own death warrant! Another thing is my family really loves to go out to eat at down-home-style Southern restaurants. I coped well enough as an ovo-lacto, but I'm afraid this might be impossible as a vegan. I see a LOT of fried okra in my dining-out future (unless there is egg/milk in the batter, and there probably will be). Luckily my friends are more open to Japanese/Italian/etc places which shouldn't be as much of a hassle.Oh, I've been reading some of the "Hitler was a vegetarian" discussion - I'm no Hitler expert but I always read that he was put on a vegetarian diet by his doctor as a possible remedy for his digestion problems. He only did it for a couple of years, and even then "cheated" often with pig knuckles etc. Don't know if this was taken by the Nazi propaganda machine and used to his advantage or what.Also, if you happen to be in the UK and you still crave the taste/texture of cheese - I stumbled upon a package of "Cheezly" at Holland & Barrett, and it is amazing! I got the Nacho flavor and it went great with my refried beans and rice. I hope there's something half this good available when I go back to America. - Christa

much luck to you,if you need any support advive feel free to chime in we are here for each other....my name is sandi and I live w/ my hubby and kids(all meat eaters so far)I am a vegan for 11yrs. veg. for 17yrs.Christa <darkstar1680 wrote: Hello everyone! I just joined yesterday and have been catching up with all the recent messages. I'm usually too shy to post intros, but this group is so active I figure my post will get lost in the shuffle, so why not :)My name is Christa, I'm 25 yrs old and living in NW England. I'm originally from TN and will be moving back there soon. I've been an ovo-lacto veg for 13 years, and made the move to veganism last month. I tried veganism before when I was younger, but I didn't have any resources or support, not to mention I was terrified I was putting my

health at risk. I eventually fell by the wayside. I always felt rather guilty, though, and finally I got fed up with having to ignore that nagging inner voice that said "if you find the treatment of animals on factory farms so appalling, WHY DO YOU STILL EAT CHEESE??" - so here I am. I feel better prepared for veganism this time around, knowing that my health needn't suffer on a vegan diet. Isn't it strange how we've been led to believe we're dependent on the milk of another species to stay alive! Anyway, that's me. Wondering if there are any other Southern vegans out there, and if so, how do you cope? I find that the UK is in general more tolerant of vegeterians/vegans, even though I don't actually know any here, it's well catered for (vegetarianism is, anyway) and nobody raises an eyebrow when they find out you're vegan. Back home, though, some people still honestly believed I'd DIE from lack of meat, and swearing off

all animal products, well - you really just signed your own death warrant! Another thing is my family really loves to go out to eat at down-home-style Southern restaurants. I coped well enough as an ovo-lacto, but I'm afraid this might be impossible as a vegan. I see a LOT of fried okra in my dining-out future (unless there is egg/milk in the batter, and there probably will be). Luckily my friends are more open to Japanese/Italian/etc places which shouldn't be as much of a hassle.Oh, I've been reading some of the "Hitler was a vegetarian" discussion - I'm no Hitler expert but I always read that he was put on a vegetarian diet by his doctor as a possible remedy for his digestion problems. He only did it for a couple of years, and even then "cheated" often with pig knuckles etc. Don't know if this was taken by the Nazi propaganda machine and used to his advantage or what.Also, if you happen to be in the UK and you

still crave the taste/texture of cheese - I stumbled upon a package of "Cheezly" at Holland & Barrett, and it is amazing! I got the Nacho flavor and it went great with my refried beans and rice. I hope there's something half this good available when I go back to America. - Christa

Shopping Find Great Deals on Gifts at Shopping

Welcome christa....

anouk on here (she's been quiet lately tho) lives in florida...

cheers

fraggle

Christa <darkstar1680

Dec 7, 2005 3:53 AM

Intro + other stuff

Hello everyone! I just joined yesterday and have been catching up

with all the recent messages. I'm usually too shy to post intros, but

this group is so active I figure my post will get lost in the

shuffle, so why not :)

My name is Christa, I'm 25 yrs old and living in NW England. I'm

originally from TN and will be moving back there soon. I've been an

ovo-lacto veg for 13 years, and made the move to veganism last month.

I tried veganism before when I was younger, but I didn't have any

resources or support, not to mention I was terrified I was putting my

health at risk. I eventually fell by the wayside. I always felt

rather guilty, though, and finally I got fed up with having to ignore

that nagging inner voice that said " if you find the treatment of

animals on factory farms so appalling, WHY DO YOU STILL EAT

CHEESE?? " - so here I am. I feel better prepared for veganism this

time around, knowing that my health needn't suffer on a vegan diet.

Isn't it strange how we've been led to believe we're dependent on the

milk of another species to stay alive! Anyway, that's me.

Wondering if there are any other Southern vegans out there, and if

so, how do you cope? I find that the UK is in general more tolerant

of vegeterians/vegans, even though I don't actually know any here,

it's well catered for (vegetarianism is, anyway) and nobody raises an

eyebrow when they find out you're vegan. Back home, though, some

people still honestly believed I'd DIE from lack of meat, and

swearing off all animal products, well - you really just signed your

own death warrant! Another thing is my family really loves to go out

to eat at down-home-style Southern restaurants. I coped well enough

as an ovo-lacto, but I'm afraid this might be impossible as a vegan.

I see a LOT of fried okra in my dining-out future (unless there is

egg/milk in the batter, and there probably will be). Luckily my

friends are more open to Japanese/Italian/etc places which shouldn't

be as much of a hassle.

Oh, I've been reading some of the " Hitler was a vegetarian "

discussion - I'm no Hitler expert but I always read that he was put

on a vegetarian diet by his doctor as a possible remedy for his

digestion problems. He only did it for a couple of years, and even

then " cheated " often with pig knuckles etc. Don't know if this was

taken by the Nazi propaganda machine and used to his advantage or

what.

Also, if you happen to be in the UK and you still crave the

taste/texture of cheese - I stumbled upon a package of " Cheezly " at

Holland & Barrett, and it is amazing! I got the Nacho flavor and it

went great with my refried beans and rice. I hope there's something

half this good available when I go back to America.

- Christa

To send an email to -

Hi Christa,

I too live in England, NE not NW tho, sorry to hear you won't be staying with us

for long.

Cheesely is the best vegan cheese, have you tried making cheese savory with it?

You grate

it, add finely chopped onion and grated carrot, and vegan mayonnaise. Its a

Northern

speciality, at least it is in NE. I mean cheese savory, not cheesely.

Yum! Also there is " melting cheesely " which....melts!

Great for toasted sandwiches or pizzas.

I don't like Holland and Barratt tho. Fortunately we have a few other health

food stores in

town.

Have you been to Manchester, I have heard there are loads of veggie restaurants

there!

, " Christa " <darkstar1680> wrote:

>

> Hello everyone! I just joined yesterday and have been catching up

> with all the recent messages. I'm usually too shy to post intros, but

> this group is so active I figure my post will get lost in the

> shuffle, so why not :)

>

> My name is Christa, I'm 25 yrs old and living in NW England. I'm

> originally from TN and will be moving back there soon. I've been an

> ovo-lacto veg for 13 years, and made the move to veganism last month.

> I tried veganism before when I was younger, but I didn't have any

> resources or support, not to mention I was terrified I was putting my

> health at risk. I eventually fell by the wayside. I always felt

> rather guilty, though, and finally I got fed up with having to ignore

> that nagging inner voice that said " if you find the treatment of

> animals on factory farms so appalling, WHY DO YOU STILL EAT

> CHEESE?? " - so here I am. I feel better prepared for veganism this

> time around, knowing that my health needn't suffer on a vegan diet.

> Isn't it strange how we've been led to believe we're dependent on the

> milk of another species to stay alive! Anyway, that's me.

>

> Wondering if there are any other Southern vegans out there, and if

> so, how do you cope? I find that the UK is in general more tolerant

> of vegeterians/vegans, even though I don't actually know any here,

> it's well catered for (vegetarianism is, anyway) and nobody raises an

> eyebrow when they find out you're vegan. Back home, though, some

> people still honestly believed I'd DIE from lack of meat, and

> swearing off all animal products, well - you really just signed your

> own death warrant! Another thing is my family really loves to go out

> to eat at down-home-style Southern restaurants. I coped well enough

> as an ovo-lacto, but I'm afraid this might be impossible as a vegan.

> I see a LOT of fried okra in my dining-out future (unless there is

> egg/milk in the batter, and there probably will be). Luckily my

> friends are more open to Japanese/Italian/etc places which shouldn't

> be as much of a hassle.

>

> Oh, I've been reading some of the " Hitler was a vegetarian "

> discussion - I'm no Hitler expert but I always read that he was put

> on a vegetarian diet by his doctor as a possible remedy for his

> digestion problems. He only did it for a couple of years, and even

> then " cheated " often with pig knuckles etc. Don't know if this was

> taken by the Nazi propaganda machine and used to his advantage or

> what.

>

> Also, if you happen to be in the UK and you still crave the

> taste/texture of cheese - I stumbled upon a package of " Cheezly " at

> Holland & Barrett, and it is amazing! I got the Nacho flavor and it

> went great with my refried beans and rice. I hope there's something

> half this good available when I go back to America.

>

> - Christa

>

hey katherine

just heads up....

taco bell uses casien in their rice....

and, a number of years ago they were test marketing a stripped animal fat to cook with, similar to olean/olestra...i have no idea wot ever became of that test or where it cycled thru...

in canada, the tortillas have milk products in em as well...yum...

as fer murder king...their veggie burger is in no way shape or form vegan..the burger isn't..the bun isn't, etc and so forth...

and..tennesseein is tennebelivein!

heh

http://www.vegetarian-restaurants.net/usa/Tennessee.htm-----Original Message----- Steve and Katherine Isola Dec 7, 2005 6:08 AM Re: Intro + other stuff

Hi Christa! I'm Katherine, I don't post here a lot, mostly because I get so far behind in reading the posts, that by the time I read them, there's a new topic being discussed! I'm a relatively "new" vegan, Only about a year or so, and I really thought it would be difficult (ok, giving up cheese was hard), but so far it's been relatively easy! I live in rural VA, so not quite as bad as TN, but pretty close. My house is around lots of hunters, fishers, and republicans (hey, I can group them like that, right?). I'm actually going to TN for Christmas, my best friend lives there, and she's a veggie, although not yet a vegan (I'm working on it though!). I became a vegan for the same kind of reasons you did...I felt like a hypocrite telling people about animal rights when I still endorsed some of them.

Sadly, I was looking online, and there's not too many places in TN that are vegan friendly. I moved from DC a couple months ago, and I could always find places to eat, there are even many restaurants that are only vegan! but since moving here, no vegan, even vegetarian restaurants. Luckily, many chain restaurants are starting to offer vegetarian and vegan friendly food, not much, but it's a start. For example, Applebees and Chilis, and even Fudruckers offer veggie burgers. Most places now offer veggie burgers, so if your friends want to go to an American restaurant, those are good choices. Some are vegan, some aren't, but you can always ask. Also, the buns some of them use aren't always vegan, but I've come to the decision that if the animal product is less than 2% while eating out, I can get over it. I'd rather be working towards incorporating more vegetarian food into mainstream than shunning myself from the ret of the world. If there's a demand for it, there will be more supply. Most of the time when eating out, we usually get some sort of ethnic food. Again, this was much easier in DC, but it's still doable where I live. Chinese restaurants almost always have tofu, and when it's pan fried with veggies and sauce, it's great. it took me awhile to get used to tofu, and pan frying it really helped me deal with the texture. Now I even crave it! Thai food is also good, just make sure there's no fish sauce added to the dish. My favorite food is Indian, but I don't know how many Indian restaurants there are in Tennessee. Because of their religion, there's tons of vegetarian dishes, you just have to make sure they don't have ghee in them, which is basically butter. Even Ethiopian food has lots of vegetarian dishes, but again, I have a feeling there aren't many Ethiopian restaurants in TN. Oh, Middle Eastern Restaurants are also great, they have hummus, falafel, baba ganoush, mujadarrah, and tons more. I could go on forever about how many vegetarian options there are. It seems like American chains though have the least options though. However, they are starting to get better. Burger King has a veggie burger, Taco Bell is great for fast, cheap food (even though it's not great, lol).

As far as fake cheese goes, there are vegan cheeses here, but some of them aren't great. There's also cheesy dips and macaroni and "cheese", they're pretty good, they don't really taste like cheese though. Road's End Organics has something called "Chreese" that I really like. If you go to a natural foods store you can get vegan cheese. You can also buy online. I think TN has the grocery store Wild Oats, that would have the cheese, also Whole Foods.

Well, sorry I wrote so much, but I had to talk about my favorite subject--food!! I hope that gives you some good ideas! Oh, and welcome to the group!

~Katherine

-

Christa

Intro + other stuff

Hello everyone! I just joined yesterday and have been catching up with all the recent messages. I'm usually too shy to post intros, but this group is so active I figure my post will get lost in the shuffle, so why not :)My name is Christa, I'm 25 yrs old and living in NW England. I'm originally from TN and will be moving back there soon. I've been an ovo-lacto veg for 13 years, and made the move to veganism last month. I tried veganism before when I was younger, but I didn't have any resources or support, not to mention I was terrified I was putting my health at risk. I eventually fell by the wayside. I always felt rather guilty, though, and finally I got fed up with having to ignore that nagging inner voice that said "if you find the treatment of animals on factory farms so appalling, WHY DO YOU STILL EAT CHEESE??" - so here I am. I feel better prepared for veganism this time around, knowing that my health needn't suffer on a vegan diet. Isn't it strange how we've been led to believe we're dependent on the milk of another species to stay alive! Anyway, that's me. Wondering if there are any other Southern vegans out there, and if so, how do you cope? I find that the UK is in general more tolerant of vegeterians/vegans, even though I don't actually know any here, it's well catered for (vegetarianism is, anyway) and nobody raises an eyebrow when they find out you're vegan. Back home, though, some people still honestly believed I'd DIE from lack of meat, and swearing off all animal products, well - you really just signed your own death warrant! Another thing is my family really loves to go out to eat at down-home-style Southern restaurants. I coped well enough as an ovo-lacto, but I'm afraid this might be impossible as a vegan. I see a LOT of fried okra in my dining-out future (unless there is egg/milk in the batter, and there probably will be). Luckily my friends are more open to Japanese/Italian/etc places which shouldn't be as much of a hassle.Oh, I've been reading some of the "Hitler was a vegetarian" discussion - I'm no Hitler expert but I always read that he was put on a vegetarian diet by his doctor as a possible remedy for his digestion problems. He only did it for a couple of years, and even then "cheated" often with pig knuckles etc. Don't know if this was taken by the Nazi propaganda machine and used to his advantage or what.Also, if you happen to be in the UK and you still crave the taste/texture of cheese - I stumbled upon a package of "Cheezly" at Holland & Barrett, and it is amazing! I got the Nacho flavor and it went great with my refried beans and rice. I hope there's something half this good available when I go back to America. - Christa

To send an email to -

Hi Christa

Welcome to the list. See, your post didn't get hidden, and we are pleased

to see it. I live in south east England and the owner of the list lives in

Bristol, and one of our long-term contributers lives in Wales.

I hope you enjoy yourself here - please feel free to join in or start your

own discussions.

Jo

-

" Christa " <darkstar1680

Wednesday, December 07, 2005 11:53 AM

Intro + other stuff

> with all the recent messages. I'm usually too shy to post intros, but

>

> ovo-lacto veg for 13 years, and made the move to veganism last month.

> resources or support, not to mention I was terrified I was putting my

> rather guilty, though, and finally I got fed up with having to ignore

> Isn't it strange how we've been led to believe we're dependent on the

>

> it's well catered for (vegetarianism is, anyway) and nobody raises an

> swearing off all animal products, well - you really just signed your

> own death warrant! Another thing is my family really loves to go out

> as an ovo-lacto, but I'm afraid this might be impossible as a vegan.

> friends are more open to Japanese/Italian/etc places which shouldn't

>

> what.

>

>

> - Christa

>

>

>

>

To send an email to -

>

Hi Katherine

Hummous with felafel - one of my favourite choices. I'm hungry now :-)

Jo

-

Steve and Katherine Isola

Wednesday, December 07, 2005 2:08 PM

Re: Intro + other stuff

~Katherine

-

Christa

Intro + other stuff

Hi Christa! Welcome to the group. I went veggie last summer for health reasons. It wasn't too hard of a jump, since I didn't eat much meat anyways. I found this group who began opening my eyes to other reasons. I currently call myself a veggie, but I try to avoid eggs & dairy, but have the same problem you have, we eat a good deal of our meals out (it used to be all meals). At home I started stocking my fridge with vegan options and switched DH to organic milk, which it turned out he liked even more. He said it tasted sweeter and DH is all about the sweet and fat tastes! Sadly, my DS really tries to follow in his footsteps and he has heart probs too. Kinda strange, when my DD moved back in a little while ago, she used to eat like me, in fact we would share meals at restaurants and then she went thru a phase where she was all about the meat, as she put it. I

told her that's cool, cuz it was up to her to eat what she wanted to. Then I started to hear here and there where she went veggie or vegan for a meal, then a day. She also now has a couple of friends who are vegan. Since we also tend to mention a good meal we had recently, I'm gonna talk about my wonderful breakfast! Sauted veggies (onions, mushrooms, spinach, bell peppers, etc) with avocados, wrapped in a tomato basil wrap, with ancho chile sauce. YUM! Jonnie Christa <darkstar1680 wrote: Hello everyone! I just joined yesterday and have been catching up with all the recent messages. I'm usually too shy to post intros, but

this group is so active I figure my post will get lost in the shuffle, so why not :)My name is Christa, I'm 25 yrs old and living in NW England. I'm originally from TN and will be moving back there soon. I've been an ovo-lacto veg for 13 years, and made the move to veganism last month. I tried veganism before when I was younger, but I didn't have any resources or support, not to mention I was terrified I was putting my health at risk. I eventually fell by the wayside. I always felt rather guilty, though, and finally I got fed up with having to ignore that nagging inner voice that said "if you find the treatment of animals on factory farms so appalling, WHY DO YOU STILL EAT CHEESE??" - so here I am. I feel better prepared for veganism this time around, knowing that my health needn't suffer on a vegan diet. Isn't it strange how we've been led to believe we're dependent on the milk of another species to stay alive! Anyway,

that's me. Wondering if there are any other Southern vegans out there, and if so, how do you cope? I find that the UK is in general more tolerant of vegeterians/vegans, even though I don't actually know any here, it's well catered for (vegetarianism is, anyway) and nobody raises an eyebrow when they find out you're vegan. Back home, though, some people still honestly believed I'd DIE from lack of meat, and swearing off all animal products, well - you really just signed your own death warrant! Another thing is my family really loves to go out to eat at down-home-style Southern restaurants. I coped well enough as an ovo-lacto, but I'm afraid this might be impossible as a vegan. I see a LOT of fried okra in my dining-out future (unless there is egg/milk in the batter, and there probably will be). Luckily my friends are more open to Japanese/Italian/etc places which shouldn't be as much of a hassle.Oh, I've been reading

some of the "Hitler was a vegetarian" discussion - I'm no Hitler expert but I always read that he was put on a vegetarian diet by his doctor as a possible remedy for his digestion problems. He only did it for a couple of years, and even then "cheated" often with pig knuckles etc. Don't know if this was taken by the Nazi propaganda machine and used to his advantage or what.Also, if you happen to be in the UK and you still crave the taste/texture of cheese - I stumbled upon a package of "Cheezly" at Holland & Barrett, and it is amazing! I got the Nacho flavor and it went great with my refried beans and rice. I hope there's something half this good available when I go back to America. - Christa ShoppingFind Great Deals on Gifts at Shopping

Personals Let fate take it's course directly to your email. See who's waiting for you Personals

Hi Christa and WELCOME!

I am very far behind in posts, but no way would I lose yours! :)

I am not going to comment much because knowing this list, you've got

a whole slew of replies already. But I did want to say hi!

If you need something in the future or if there is anything I can

help with, just shout!

Nikki :)

IL

, " Christa " <darkstar1680>

wrote:

>

> with all the recent messages. I'm usually too shy to post intros,

but

>

> originally from TN and will be moving back there soon. I've been

an

> ovo-lacto veg for 13 years, and made the move to veganism last

month.

> resources or support, not to mention I was terrified I was putting

my

> rather guilty, though, and finally I got fed up with having to

ignore

> time around, knowing that my health needn't suffer on a vegan

diet.

> Isn't it strange how we've been led to believe we're dependent on

the

>

> so, how do you cope? I find that the UK is in general more

tolerant

> it's well catered for (vegetarianism is, anyway) and nobody raises

an

> swearing off all animal products, well - you really just signed

your

> own death warrant! Another thing is my family really loves to go

out

> to eat at down-home-style Southern restaurants. I coped well

enough

> as an ovo-lacto, but I'm afraid this might be impossible as a

vegan.

> friends are more open to Japanese/Italian/etc places which

shouldn't

>

> discussion - I'm no Hitler expert but I always read that he was

put

> what.

>

> taste/texture of cheese - I stumbled upon a package of " Cheezly "

at

> Holland & Barrett, and it is amazing! I got the Nacho flavor and

it

> went great with my refried beans and rice. I hope there's

something

>

> - Christa

>

Hi Christa, Welcome to the group, had enough of England eh? Do you find us Brits slimmer than your fellow Amerricans back home? you`ve prolly noticed our teeth aint so good? Still , enough stereotyping, if you need any help just ask............ The Valley Vegan...................Christa <darkstar1680 wrote: Hello everyone! I just joined yesterday and have been catching up with all the recent messages. I'm usually too shy to post intros, but this group is so active I figure my post will get lost in the shuffle, so why not :)My name is Christa, I'm 25 yrs old and living in NW England. I'm originally from TN and will be moving back there soon. I've been an ovo-lacto veg for 13 years, and made the move to veganism last month. I tried veganism before when

I was younger, but I didn't have any resources or support, not to mention I was terrified I was putting my health at risk. I eventually fell by the wayside. I always felt rather guilty, though, and finally I got fed up with having to ignore that nagging inner voice that said "if you find the treatment of animals on factory farms so appalling, WHY DO YOU STILL EAT CHEESE??" - so here I am. I feel better prepared for veganism this time around, knowing that my health needn't suffer on a vegan diet. Isn't it strange how we've been led to believe we're dependent on the milk of another species to stay alive! Anyway, that's me. Wondering if there are any other Southern vegans out there, and if so, how do you cope? I find that the UK is in general more tolerant of vegeterians/vegans, even though I don't actually know any here, it's well catered for (vegetarianism is, anyway) and nobody raises an eyebrow when they find out you're

vegan. Back home, though, some people still honestly believed I'd DIE from lack of meat, and swearing off all animal products, well - you really just signed your own death warrant! Another thing is my family really loves to go out to eat at down-home-style Southern restaurants. I coped well enough as an ovo-lacto, but I'm afraid this might be impossible as a vegan. I see a LOT of fried okra in my dining-out future (unless there is egg/milk in the batter, and there probably will be). Luckily my friends are more open to Japanese/Italian/etc places which shouldn't be as much of a hassle.Oh, I've been reading some of the "Hitler was a vegetarian" discussion - I'm no Hitler expert but I always read that he was put on a vegetarian diet by his doctor as a possible remedy for his digestion problems. He only did it for a couple of years, and even then "cheated" often with pig knuckles etc. Don't know if this was taken by the

Nazi propaganda machine and used to his advantage or what.Also, if you happen to be in the UK and you still crave the taste/texture of cheese - I stumbled upon a package of "Cheezly" at Holland & Barrett, and it is amazing! I got the Nacho flavor and it went great with my refried beans and rice. I hope there's something half this good available when I go back to America. - Christa

Hello! Nah, England is alright, but the homesickness finally claimed

me :) I thought it was a hoot how people here always complimented my

teeth - they're far from nice! And anyway, English teeth aren't so

bad ;) I'll miss being asked if I'm Irish/Canadian/Australian, though

(I think people are afraid of offending me in case it turns out I'm

NOT American!)

Christa

, peter hurd <swpgh01@t...> wrote:

>

> Hi Christa,

> Welcome to the group, had enough of England eh? Do you find us

Brits slimmer than your fellow Amerricans back home? you`ve prolly

noticed our teeth aint so good? Still , enough stereotyping, if you

need any help just ask............

>

> The Valley Vegan...................

>

> Christa <darkstar1680> wrote:

but

>

month.

my

ignore

the

>

an

your

out

vegan.

shouldn't

>

> what.

>

>

> - Christa

>

>

>

>

To send an email to -

>

Hi Nikki and thanks!

No way can I keep up with this group... I do love reading the

messages though, even if it takes me forever!

Christa

, " earthstrm " <earthstorm@c...>

wrote:

>

> Hi Christa and WELCOME!

>

> I am very far behind in posts, but no way would I lose yours! :)

>

> I am not going to comment much because knowing this list, you've

got

> a whole slew of replies already. But I did want to say hi!

>

> If you need something in the future or if there is anything I can

> help with, just shout!

>

> Nikki :)

> IL

>

>

> , " Christa " <darkstar1680>

> wrote:

> >

> > Hello everyone! I just joined yesterday and have been catching up

> > with all the recent messages. I'm usually too shy to post intros,

> but

> > this group is so active I figure my post will get lost in the

> > shuffle, so why not :)

> >

> > My name is Christa, I'm 25 yrs old and living in NW England. I'm

> > originally from TN and will be moving back there soon. I've been

> an

> > ovo-lacto veg for 13 years, and made the move to veganism last

> month.

> > I tried veganism before when I was younger, but I didn't have any

> > resources or support, not to mention I was terrified I was

putting

> my

> > health at risk. I eventually fell by the wayside. I always felt

> > rather guilty, though, and finally I got fed up with having to

> ignore

> > that nagging inner voice that said " if you find the treatment of

> > animals on factory farms so appalling, WHY DO YOU STILL EAT

> > CHEESE?? " - so here I am. I feel better prepared for veganism

this

> > time around, knowing that my health needn't suffer on a vegan

> diet.

> > Isn't it strange how we've been led to believe we're dependent on

> the

> > milk of another species to stay alive! Anyway, that's me.

> >

> > Wondering if there are any other Southern vegans out there, and

if

> > so, how do you cope? I find that the UK is in general more

> tolerant

> > of vegeterians/vegans, even though I don't actually know any

here,

> > it's well catered for (vegetarianism is, anyway) and nobody

raises

> an

> > eyebrow when they find out you're vegan. Back home, though, some

> > people still honestly believed I'd DIE from lack of meat, and

> > swearing off all animal products, well - you really just signed

> your

> > own death warrant! Another thing is my family really loves to go

> out

> > to eat at down-home-style Southern restaurants. I coped well

> enough

> > as an ovo-lacto, but I'm afraid this might be impossible as a

> vegan.

> > I see a LOT of fried okra in my dining-out future (unless there

is

> > egg/milk in the batter, and there probably will be). Luckily my

> > friends are more open to Japanese/Italian/etc places which

> shouldn't

> > be as much of a hassle.

> >

> > Oh, I've been reading some of the " Hitler was a vegetarian "

> > discussion - I'm no Hitler expert but I always read that he was

> put

> > on a vegetarian diet by his doctor as a possible remedy for his

> > digestion problems. He only did it for a couple of years, and

even

> > then " cheated " often with pig knuckles etc. Don't know if this

was

> > taken by the Nazi propaganda machine and used to his advantage or

> > what.

> >

> > Also, if you happen to be in the UK and you still crave the

> > taste/texture of cheese - I stumbled upon a package of " Cheezly "

> at

> > Holland & Barrett, and it is amazing! I got the Nacho flavor and

> it

> > went great with my refried beans and rice. I hope there's

> something

> > half this good available when I go back to America.

> >

> > - Christa

> >

>

Hi Jonnie, thanks for the welcome!

Did you ever try to get your DH and DS into soymilk? I know the taste

of regular soymilk isn't for everyone, but even serious milk-lovers

have liked my chocolate Silk :)

Your DS & DD are lucky in that if they ever did decide to go veggie,

you'd be supportive! I had friends who tried to go veggie while

living at home, and their parents were anything but supportive.

Your breakfast sounds sooo good, I may have to try that this

weekend :D

Christa

, Jonnie Hellens

<jonnie_hellens> wrote:

>

> Hi Christa! Welcome to the group.

>

> I went veggie last summer for health reasons. It wasn't too hard

of a jump, since I didn't eat much meat anyways. I found this group

who began opening my eyes to other reasons. I currently call myself

a veggie, but I try to avoid eggs & dairy, but have the same problem

you have, we eat a good deal of our meals out (it used to be all

meals). At home I started stocking my fridge with vegan options and

switched DH to organic milk, which it turned out he liked even more.

He said it tasted sweeter and DH is all about the sweet and fat

tastes! Sadly, my DS really tries to follow in his footsteps and he

has heart probs too.

>

> Kinda strange, when my DD moved back in a little while ago, she

used to eat like me, in fact we would share meals at restaurants and

then she went thru a phase where she was all about the meat, as she

put it. I told her that's cool, cuz it was up to her to eat what she

wanted to. Then I started to hear here and there where she went

veggie or vegan for a meal, then a day. She also now has a couple of

friends who are vegan.

>

> Since we also tend to mention a good meal we had recently, I'm

gonna talk about my wonderful breakfast! Sauted veggies (onions,

mushrooms, spinach, bell peppers, etc) with avocados, wrapped in a

tomato basil wrap, with ancho chile sauce. YUM!

>

> Jonnie

>

>

> Christa <darkstar1680> wrote: Hello everyone! I just

joined yesterday and have been catching up

but

>

month.

my

ignore

the

>

an

your

out

vegan.

shouldn't

>

> what.

>

>

> - Christa

>

>

>

>

> Shopping

> Find Great Deals on Gifts at Shopping

>

> To send an email to -

>

>

>

>

You mean regular Cheezly isn't supposed to melt? I melted some on my

veggie burger last night... it did rather well! I notice it melts

well if you grate it very finely. Thick slices of it don't seem to

want to melt. I may have to try some cheese savoury - never been to

the NE, so I've never heard of it!

Going to Manchester this weekend actually... I'll try to remember to

look up a veggie restaurant, and I'll post a review of it here for

all the curious Brits :)

Christa

, " herbvalerian " <herbvalerian>

wrote:

>

> Hi Christa,

> I too live in England, NE not NW tho, sorry to hear you won't be

staying with us for long.

> Cheesely is the best vegan cheese, have you tried making cheese

savory with it? You grate

> it, add finely chopped onion and grated carrot, and vegan

mayonnaise. Its a Northern

> speciality, at least it is in NE. I mean cheese savory, not

cheesely.

> Yum! Also there is " melting cheesely " which....melts!

> Great for toasted sandwiches or pizzas.

> I don't like Holland and Barratt tho. Fortunately we have a few

other health food stores in

> town.

> Have you been to Manchester, I have heard there are loads of veggie

restaurants there!

>

>

> , " Christa " <darkstar1680>

wrote:

> >

> > Hello everyone! I just joined yesterday and have been catching up

> > with all the recent messages. I'm usually too shy to post intros,

but

> > this group is so active I figure my post will get lost in the

> > shuffle, so why not :)

> >

> > My name is Christa, I'm 25 yrs old and living in NW England. I'm

> > originally from TN and will be moving back there soon. I've been

an

> > ovo-lacto veg for 13 years, and made the move to veganism last

month.

> > I tried veganism before when I was younger, but I didn't have any

> > resources or support, not to mention I was terrified I was

putting my

> > health at risk. I eventually fell by the wayside. I always felt

> > rather guilty, though, and finally I got fed up with having to

ignore

> > that nagging inner voice that said " if you find the treatment of

> > animals on factory farms so appalling, WHY DO YOU STILL EAT

> > CHEESE?? " - so here I am. I feel better prepared for veganism

this

> > time around, knowing that my health needn't suffer on a vegan

diet.

> > Isn't it strange how we've been led to believe we're dependent on

the

> > milk of another species to stay alive! Anyway, that's me.

> >

> > Wondering if there are any other Southern vegans out there, and

if

> > so, how do you cope? I find that the UK is in general more

tolerant

> > of vegeterians/vegans, even though I don't actually know any

here,

> > it's well catered for (vegetarianism is, anyway) and nobody

raises an

> > eyebrow when they find out you're vegan. Back home, though, some

> > people still honestly believed I'd DIE from lack of meat, and

> > swearing off all animal products, well - you really just signed

your

> > own death warrant! Another thing is my family really loves to go

out

> > to eat at down-home-style Southern restaurants. I coped well

enough

> > as an ovo-lacto, but I'm afraid this might be impossible as a

vegan.

> > I see a LOT of fried okra in my dining-out future (unless there

is

> > egg/milk in the batter, and there probably will be). Luckily my

> > friends are more open to Japanese/Italian/etc places which

shouldn't

> > be as much of a hassle.

> >

> > Oh, I've been reading some of the " Hitler was a vegetarian "

> > discussion - I'm no Hitler expert but I always read that he was

put

> > on a vegetarian diet by his doctor as a possible remedy for his

> > digestion problems. He only did it for a couple of years, and

even

> > then " cheated " often with pig knuckles etc. Don't know if this

was

> > taken by the Nazi propaganda machine and used to his advantage or

> > what.

> >

> > Also, if you happen to be in the UK and you still crave the

> > taste/texture of cheese - I stumbled upon a package of " Cheezly "

at

> > Holland & Barrett, and it is amazing! I got the Nacho flavor and

it

> > went great with my refried beans and rice. I hope there's

something

> > half this good available when I go back to America.

> >

> > - Christa

> >

>

Fraggle, thanks for that link! (http://www.vegetarian-

restaurants.net/usa/Tennessee.htm) Sunset Grill - vegan friendly, never

would've thought that! I usually stay away from any restaurant with the

word " Grill " in it, usually all ribs and burgers etc!

Thanks again!

Christa

Regular Cheezly is good when grated finely, but the new melting

Cheezly does actually melt. I haven't had it but I think Peter

didn't like it as much as the original grated.

Jo

, " Christa " <darkstar1680>

wrote:

>

> You mean regular Cheezly isn't supposed to melt? I melted some on

my

> veggie burger last night... it did rather well! I notice it melts

> well if you grate it very finely. Thick slices of it don't seem to

> want to melt. I may have to try some cheese savoury - never been to

> the NE, so I've never heard of it!

>

> Going to Manchester this weekend actually... I'll try to remember

to

> look up a veggie restaurant, and I'll post a review of it here for

> all the curious Brits :)

>

> Christa

>

> , " herbvalerian "

<herbvalerian>

> wrote:

> >

> > Hi Christa,

> > I too live in England, NE not NW tho, sorry to hear you won't be

> staying with us for long.

> > Cheesely is the best vegan cheese, have you tried making cheese

> savory with it? You grate

> > it, add finely chopped onion and grated carrot, and vegan

> mayonnaise. Its a Northern

> > speciality, at least it is in NE. I mean cheese savory, not

> cheesely.

> > Yum! Also there is " melting cheesely " which....melts!

> > Great for toasted sandwiches or pizzas.

> > I don't like Holland and Barratt tho. Fortunately we have a few

> other health food stores in

> > town.

> > Have you been to Manchester, I have heard there are loads of

veggie

> restaurants there!

> >

> >

> > , " Christa " <darkstar1680>

> wrote:

> > >

> > > Hello everyone! I just joined yesterday and have been catching

up

> > > with all the recent messages. I'm usually too shy to post

intros,

> but

> > > this group is so active I figure my post will get lost in the

> > > shuffle, so why not :)

> > >

> > > My name is Christa, I'm 25 yrs old and living in NW England.

I'm

> > > originally from TN and will be moving back there soon. I've

been

> an

> > > ovo-lacto veg for 13 years, and made the move to veganism last

> month.

> > > I tried veganism before when I was younger, but I didn't have

any

> > > resources or support, not to mention I was terrified I was

> putting my

> > > health at risk. I eventually fell by the wayside. I always felt

> > > rather guilty, though, and finally I got fed up with having to

> ignore

> > > that nagging inner voice that said " if you find the treatment

of

> > > animals on factory farms so appalling, WHY DO YOU STILL EAT

> > > CHEESE?? " - so here I am. I feel better prepared for veganism

> this

> > > time around, knowing that my health needn't suffer on a vegan

> diet.

> > > Isn't it strange how we've been led to believe we're dependent

on

> the

> > > milk of another species to stay alive! Anyway, that's me.

> > >

> > > Wondering if there are any other Southern vegans out there, and

> if

> > > so, how do you cope? I find that the UK is in general more

> tolerant

> > > of vegeterians/vegans, even though I don't actually know any

> here,

> > > it's well catered for (vegetarianism is, anyway) and nobody

> raises an

> > > eyebrow when they find out you're vegan. Back home, though,

some

> > > people still honestly believed I'd DIE from lack of meat, and

> > > swearing off all animal products, well - you really just signed

> your

> > > own death warrant! Another thing is my family really loves to

go

> out

> > > to eat at down-home-style Southern restaurants. I coped well

> enough

> > > as an ovo-lacto, but I'm afraid this might be impossible as a

> vegan.

> > > I see a LOT of fried okra in my dining-out future (unless there

> is

> > > egg/milk in the batter, and there probably will be). Luckily my

> > > friends are more open to Japanese/Italian/etc places which

> shouldn't

> > > be as much of a hassle.

> > >

> > > Oh, I've been reading some of the " Hitler was a vegetarian "

> > > discussion - I'm no Hitler expert but I always read that he was

> put

> > > on a vegetarian diet by his doctor as a possible remedy for his

> > > digestion problems. He only did it for a couple of years, and

> even

> > > then " cheated " often with pig knuckles etc. Don't know if this

> was

> > > taken by the Nazi propaganda machine and used to his advantage

or

> > > what.

> > >

> > > Also, if you happen to be in the UK and you still crave the

> > > taste/texture of cheese - I stumbled upon a package

of " Cheezly "

> at

> > > Holland & Barrett, and it is amazing! I got the Nacho flavor

and

> it

> > > went great with my refried beans and rice. I hope there's

> something

> > > half this good available when I go back to America.

> > >

> > > - Christa

> > >

> >

>

Cheezely does melt but as you have found, you have to grate it. Melting cheezely

is

designed to melt like non vegan cheese melts. Its in thin slices. Its

meltingness is much

more pronounced. It has " melting " on the packet!

-- In , " Christa " <darkstar1680> wrote:

>

> You mean regular Cheezly isn't supposed to melt? I melted some on my

> veggie burger last night... it did rather well! I notice it melts

> well if you grate it very finely. Thick slices of it don't seem to

> want to melt. I may have to try some cheese savoury - never been to

> the NE, so I've never heard of it!

>

> Going to Manchester this weekend actually... I'll try to remember to

> look up a veggie restaurant, and I'll post a review of it here for

> all the curious Brits :)

>

> Christa

>

> , " herbvalerian " <herbvalerian>

> wrote:

> >

> > Hi Christa,

> > I too live in England, NE not NW tho, sorry to hear you won't be

> staying with us for long.

> > Cheesely is the best vegan cheese, have you tried making cheese

> savory with it? You grate

> > it, add finely chopped onion and grated carrot, and vegan

> mayonnaise. Its a Northern

> > speciality, at least it is in NE. I mean cheese savory, not

> cheesely.

> > Yum! Also there is " melting cheesely " which....melts!

> > Great for toasted sandwiches or pizzas.

> > I don't like Holland and Barratt tho. Fortunately we have a few

> other health food stores in

> > town.

> > Have you been to Manchester, I have heard there are loads of veggie

> restaurants there!

> >

> >

> > , " Christa " <darkstar1680>

> wrote:

> > >

> > > Hello everyone! I just joined yesterday and have been catching up

> > > with all the recent messages. I'm usually too shy to post intros,

> but

> > > this group is so active I figure my post will get lost in the

> > > shuffle, so why not :)

> > >

> > > My name is Christa, I'm 25 yrs old and living in NW England. I'm

> > > originally from TN and will be moving back there soon. I've been

> an

> > > ovo-lacto veg for 13 years, and made the move to veganism last

> month.

> > > I tried veganism before when I was younger, but I didn't have any

> > > resources or support, not to mention I was terrified I was

> putting my

> > > health at risk. I eventually fell by the wayside. I always felt

> > > rather guilty, though, and finally I got fed up with having to

> ignore

> > > that nagging inner voice that said " if you find the treatment of

> > > animals on factory farms so appalling, WHY DO YOU STILL EAT

> > > CHEESE?? " - so here I am. I feel better prepared for veganism

> this

> > > time around, knowing that my health needn't suffer on a vegan

> diet.

> > > Isn't it strange how we've been led to believe we're dependent on

> the

> > > milk of another species to stay alive! Anyway, that's me.

> > >

> > > Wondering if there are any other Southern vegans out there, and

> if

> > > so, how do you cope? I find that the UK is in general more

> tolerant

> > > of vegeterians/vegans, even though I don't actually know any

> here,

> > > it's well catered for (vegetarianism is, anyway) and nobody

> raises an

> > > eyebrow when they find out you're vegan. Back home, though, some

> > > people still honestly believed I'd DIE from lack of meat, and

> > > swearing off all animal products, well - you really just signed

> your

> > > own death warrant! Another thing is my family really loves to go

> out

> > > to eat at down-home-style Southern restaurants. I coped well

> enough

> > > as an ovo-lacto, but I'm afraid this might be impossible as a

> vegan.

> > > I see a LOT of fried okra in my dining-out future (unless there

> is

> > > egg/milk in the batter, and there probably will be). Luckily my

> > > friends are more open to Japanese/Italian/etc places which

> shouldn't

> > > be as much of a hassle.

> > >

> > > Oh, I've been reading some of the " Hitler was a vegetarian "

> > > discussion - I'm no Hitler expert but I always read that he was

> put

> > > on a vegetarian diet by his doctor as a possible remedy for his

> > > digestion problems. He only did it for a couple of years, and

> even

> > > then " cheated " often with pig knuckles etc. Don't know if this

> was

> > > taken by the Nazi propaganda machine and used to his advantage or

> > > what.

> > >

> > > Also, if you happen to be in the UK and you still crave the

> > > taste/texture of cheese - I stumbled upon a package of " Cheezly "

> at

> > > Holland & Barrett, and it is amazing! I got the Nacho flavor and

> it

> > > went great with my refried beans and rice. I hope there's

> something

> > > half this good available when I go back to America.

> > >

> > > - Christa

> > >

> >

>

Yeah, me either. I was 1300 messages behind and decided I would have to delete some. I deleted up to Dec 1st and still haven't been able to catch up. I got down to 100 and then my internet didn't work for a day and I'm way behind again. I hate to delete, cuz most of the messages are so interesting.Christa <darkstar1680 wrote: Hi Nikki and thanks! No way can I keep up with this group... I do love reading the messages though, even if it takes me forever!Christa , "earthstrm" <earthstorm@c...> wrote:>> Hi Christa and WELCOME!> > I am very far behind in posts, but no way would I lose yours! :)> > I am not going to comment much because knowing this list, you've got > a whole slew of

replies already. But I did want to say hi!> > If you need something in the future or if there is anything I can > help with, just shout!> > Nikki :)> IL> > > , "Christa" <darkstar1680> > wrote:> >> > Hello everyone! I just joined yesterday and have been catching up > > with all the recent messages. I'm usually too shy to post intros, > but > > this group is so active I figure my post will get lost in the > > shuffle, so why not :)> > > > My name is Christa, I'm 25 yrs old and living in NW England. I'm > > originally from TN and will be moving back there soon. I've been > an > > ovo-lacto veg for 13 years, and made the move to veganism last > month. > > I tried veganism before when I was younger, but I didn't have any > > resources or support,

not to mention I was terrified I was putting > my > > health at risk. I eventually fell by the wayside. I always felt > > rather guilty, though, and finally I got fed up with having to > ignore > > that nagging inner voice that said "if you find the treatment of > > animals on factory farms so appalling, WHY DO YOU STILL EAT > > CHEESE??" - so here I am. I feel better prepared for veganism this > > time around, knowing that my health needn't suffer on a vegan > diet. > > Isn't it strange how we've been led to believe we're dependent on > the > > milk of another species to stay alive! Anyway, that's me. > > > > Wondering if there are any other Southern vegans out there, and if > > so, how do you cope? I find that the UK is in general more > tolerant > > of vegeterians/vegans, even though I don't actually know any

here, > > it's well catered for (vegetarianism is, anyway) and nobody raises > an > > eyebrow when they find out you're vegan. Back home, though, some > > people still honestly believed I'd DIE from lack of meat, and > > swearing off all animal products, well - you really just signed > your > > own death warrant! Another thing is my family really loves to go > out > > to eat at down-home-style Southern restaurants. I coped well > enough > > as an ovo-lacto, but I'm afraid this might be impossible as a > vegan. > > I see a LOT of fried okra in my dining-out future (unless there is > > egg/milk in the batter, and there probably will be). Luckily my > > friends are more open to Japanese/Italian/etc places which > shouldn't > > be as much of a hassle.> > > > Oh, I've been reading some of the "Hitler was a

vegetarian" > > discussion - I'm no Hitler expert but I always read that he was > put > > on a vegetarian diet by his doctor as a possible remedy for his > > digestion problems. He only did it for a couple of years, and even > > then "cheated" often with pig knuckles etc. Don't know if this was > > taken by the Nazi propaganda machine and used to his advantage or > > what.> > > > Also, if you happen to be in the UK and you still crave the > > taste/texture of cheese - I stumbled upon a package of "Cheezly" > at > > Holland & Barrett, and it is amazing! I got the Nacho flavor and > it > > went great with my refried beans and rice. I hope there's > something > > half this good available when I go back to America. > > > > - Christa> >>To send an email to -

Shopping Find Great Deals on Holiday Gifts at Shopping

Yeah, DS used to do soy milk and really loved it with the healthy high fiber cereal he used to eat, but DH has really affected his eating, now he just wants sweet and fat. He's always been lactose intolerant, but now he wants to drink chocolate milk. I won't buy it for him, but he gets it at school. He's always asking for something to stop his stomach ache, and yet refuses to admit that his frequent bouts of running 'down the hall' and stomach upsets are tied into that. My breakfast was really, really good. A restaurant I go to makes it. I tried to make it at home, but can't find those wonderful wraps. Some people said to go to Trader Joes to get them and I've been to 3 locations and can't find any. I think I would have to go to North Scottsdale to get them. I couldn't find any at Whole Foods either. I'm gonna keep trying. Hmm.... maybe I should try to find a

recipe?Christa <darkstar1680 wrote: Hi Jonnie, thanks for the welcome! Did you ever try to get your DH and DS into soymilk? I know the taste of regular soymilk isn't for everyone, but even serious milk-lovers have liked my chocolate Silk :) Your DS & DD are lucky in that if they ever did decide to go veggie, you'd be supportive! I had friends who tried to go veggie while living at home, and their parents were anything but supportive. Your breakfast sounds sooo good, I may have to try that this weekend :DChrista , Jonnie Hellens <jonnie_hellens> wrote:>> Hi Christa! Welcome to the group. > > I went veggie last summer for health reasons. It wasn't

too hard of a jump, since I didn't eat much meat anyways. I found this group who began opening my eyes to other reasons. I currently call myself a veggie, but I try to avoid eggs & dairy, but have the same problem you have, we eat a good deal of our meals out (it used to be all meals). At home I started stocking my fridge with vegan options and switched DH to organic milk, which it turned out he liked even more. He said it tasted sweeter and DH is all about the sweet and fat tastes! Sadly, my DS really tries to follow in his footsteps and he has heart probs too.> > Kinda strange, when my DD moved back in a little while ago, she used to eat like me, in fact we would share meals at restaurants and then she went thru a phase where she was all about the meat, as she put it. I told her that's cool, cuz it was up to her to eat what she wanted to.

Then I started to hear here and there where she went veggie or vegan for a meal, then a day. She also now has a couple of friends who are vegan.> > Since we also tend to mention a good meal we had recently, I'm gonna talk about my wonderful breakfast! Sauted veggies (onions, mushrooms, spinach, bell peppers, etc) with avocados, wrapped in a tomato basil wrap, with ancho chile sauce. YUM!> > Jonnie> > > Christa <darkstar1680> wrote: Hello everyone! I just joined yesterday and have been catching up > with all the recent messages. I'm usually too shy to post intros, but > this group is so active I figure my post will get lost in the > shuffle, so why not :)> > My name is Christa, I'm 25 yrs old and living in NW England. I'm > originally from TN

and will be moving back there soon. I've been an > ovo-lacto veg for 13 years, and made the move to veganism last month. > I tried veganism before when I was younger, but I didn't have any > resources or support, not to mention I was terrified I was putting my > health at risk. I eventually fell by the wayside. I always felt > rather guilty, though, and finally I got fed up with having to ignore > that nagging inner voice that said "if you find the treatment of > animals on factory farms so appalling, WHY DO YOU STILL EAT > CHEESE??" - so here I am. I feel better prepared for veganism this > time around, knowing that my health needn't suffer on a vegan diet. > Isn't it strange how we've been led to believe we're dependent on the > milk of another species to stay alive! Anyway, that's me. > > Wondering if there are any other Southern vegans out there, and if > so, how do

you cope? I find that the UK is in general more tolerant > of vegeterians/vegans, even though I don't actually know any here, > it's well catered for (vegetarianism is, anyway) and nobody raises an > eyebrow when they find out you're vegan. Back home, though, some > people still honestly believed I'd DIE from lack of meat, and > swearing off all animal products, well - you really just signed your > own death warrant! Another thing is my family really loves to go out > to eat at down-home-style Southern restaurants. I coped well enough > as an ovo-lacto, but I'm afraid this might be impossible as a vegan. > I see a LOT of fried okra in my dining-out future (unless there is > egg/milk in the batter, and there probably will be). Luckily my > friends are more open to Japanese/Italian/etc places which shouldn't > be as much of a hassle.> > Oh, I've been reading some of

the "Hitler was a vegetarian" > discussion - I'm no Hitler expert but I always read that he was put > on a vegetarian diet by his doctor as a possible remedy for his > digestion problems. He only did it for a couple of years, and even > then "cheated" often with pig knuckles etc. Don't know if this was > taken by the Nazi propaganda machine and used to his advantage or > what.> > Also, if you happen to be in the UK and you still crave the > taste/texture of cheese - I stumbled upon a package of "Cheezly" at > Holland & Barrett, and it is amazing! I got the Nacho flavor and it > went great with my refried beans and rice. I hope there's something > half this good available when I go back to America. > > - Christa> > > > > > > > > > >

> Shopping> Find Great Deals on Gifts at Shopping > > To send an email to - > > > >

My five year old grandaughter loves Silk chocolate soy

milk and it comes in individual servings that can be

carried in a lunch.

http://www.silkissoy.com/index.php

--- Jonnie Hellens <jonnie_hellens wrote:

He's always been lactose

> intolerant, but now he wants to drink chocolate

> milk. I won't buy it for him, but he gets it at

> school

• 4 weeks later...

He likes soy milk in his cereal, but I couldn't get him to like the soy chocolate milk, although he loves to get soy hot chocolate. I think he's just messing with my mind like my hubby likes too. All the time I do the 'if he likes a and he likes b, he'll like ab' set thing and then he has some excuse why he doesn't like it. Gee.... did any of that make sense? I haven't had any wine yet today... maybe I should! :)Susan <oceanfest_2000 wrote: My five year old grandaughter loves Silk chocolate soymilk and it comes in individual servings that can becarried in a lunch.http://www.silkissoy.com/index.php--- Jonnie Hellens <jonnie_hellens wrote:He's always been lactose> intolerant, but now he wants to

drink chocolate> milk. I won't buy it for him, but he gets it at> school

Shopping Find Great Deals on Holiday Gifts at Shopping