Today I went to visit our local humane society. Their

mission: " To protect and promote the well-being of

animals and to foster positive relations between

animals and people. "

The gift shop had many, many cat toys made with

feathers! I blinked my eyes and lookout out toward

the animals again. Yep, there was a sun conure and a

cockatoo waiting for adoption! I took some of the

feathered toys to the desk and asked for a supervisor.

There was none today (being the weekend) so I stated

my opinion that feather toys promoted animal cruelty

and had no place in a humane society gift shop. After

I got " the look " from the person I was talking to, I

got bumped to a second person who then told me to

contact the gift shop staff who do the orders on

Monday. The local humane society is a nonprofit

non-governmental agency supported soley by donations

and not affiliated with the national organization

(it's independent). Anyway, I couldn't find any email

addresses to start a letter writing compaign, so I'll

start working on the issue Monday when I find out why

they think it is o.k. to order feathered cat toys when

there are other options. I'll go from there. I'm

going to ask if they have a board--depending on the

response I get. It's so against their whole mission!

I was shocked! I really wonder if people are so inured

to where things are coming from that they don't even

think about it. Weird for a humane society. I support

that charity, so I feel deeply offended. Susan

Are you sure they were from real birds? Ask since I think that animal toys made with real feathers would be rare.

linda

"Whatever you do will be insignificant and it is very important that you do it."Mohandas Gandhi

linda's Growing Stitchery Projects: womyn47

-

Susan

Saturday, December 10, 2005 5:31 PM

Re: Re: Humane Society

Today I went to visit our local humane society. Theirmission: "To protect and promote the well-being ofanimals and to foster positive relations betweenanimals and people."The gift shop had many, many cat toys made withfeathers! I blinked my eyes and lookout out towardthe animals again. Yep, there was a sun conure and acockatoo waiting for adoption! I took some of thefeathered toys to the desk and asked for a supervisor.There was none today (being the weekend) so I statedmy opinion that feather toys promoted animal crueltyand had no place in a humane society gift shop. AfterI got "the look" from the person I was talking to, Igot bumped to a second person who then told me tocontact the gift shop staff who do the orders onMonday. The local humane society is a nonprofitnon-governmental agency supported soley by donationsand not affiliated with the national organization(it's independent). Anyway, I couldn't find any emailaddresses to start a letter writing compaign, so I'llstart working on the issue Monday when I find out whythey think it is o.k. to order feathered cat toys whenthere are other options. I'll go from there. I'mgoing to ask if they have a board--depending on theresponse I get. It's so against their whole mission! I was shocked! I really wonder if people are so inuredto where things are coming from that they don't eventhink about it. Weird for a humane society. I supportthat charity, so I feel deeply offended. Susan

Hi #Susan

Well done. Let us know how you get on. I have noticed that many people

extend their feelings on animal cruelty only to dogs and cats, and birds

rarely come into this.

Jo

-

" Susan " <oceanfest_2000

Sunday, December 11, 2005 1:31 AM

> Today I went to visit our local humane society. Their

> mission: " To protect and promote the well-being of

> animals and to foster positive relations between

> animals and people. "

>

> The gift shop had many, many cat toys made with

> feathers! I blinked my eyes and lookout out toward

> the animals again. Yep, there was a sun conure and a

> cockatoo waiting for adoption! I took some of the

> feathered toys to the desk and asked for a supervisor.

> There was none today (being the weekend) so I stated

> my opinion that feather toys promoted animal cruelty

> and had no place in a humane society gift shop. After

> I got " the look " from the person I was talking to, I

> got bumped to a second person who then told me to

> contact the gift shop staff who do the orders on

> Monday. The local humane society is a nonprofit

> non-governmental agency supported soley by donations

> and not affiliated with the national organization

> (it's independent). Anyway, I couldn't find any email

> addresses to start a letter writing compaign, so I'll

> start working on the issue Monday when I find out why

> they think it is o.k. to order feathered cat toys when

> there are other options. I'll go from there. I'm

> going to ask if they have a board--depending on the

> response I get. It's so against their whole mission!

> I was shocked! I really wonder if people are so inured

> to where things are coming from that they don't even

> think about it. Weird for a humane society. I support

> that charity, so I feel deeply offended. Susan

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

What would they make feathers from? In the UK bird feathers are often used for all sorts of things.

In my pre-veggie innocence I used to think they used feathers that had been moulted! Just shows how niaive people can be.

Jo

-

linda

Sunday, December 11, 2005 1:45 AM

Are you sure they were from real birds? Ask since I think that animal toys made with real feathers would be rare.

linda

"Whatever you do will be insignificant and it is very important that you do it."Mohandas Gandhi

-

Susan

Today I went to visit our local humane society. Theirmission: "To protect and promote the well-being ofanimals and to foster positive relations betweenanimals and people."The gift shop had many, many cat toys made withfeathers! I blinked my eyes and lookout out towardthe animals again. Yep, there was a sun conure and acockatoo waiting for adoption! I took some of thefeathered toys to the desk and asked for a supervisor.There was none today (being the weekend) so I statedmy opinion that feather toys promoted animal crueltyand had no place in a humane society gift shop. AfterI got "the look" from the person I was talking to, Igot bumped to a second person who then told me tocontact the gift shop staff who do the orders onMonday. The local humane society is a nonprofitnon-governmental agency supported soley by donationsand not affiliated with the national organization(it's independent). Anyway, I couldn't find any emailaddresses to start a letter writing compaign, so I'llstart working on the issue Monday when I find out whythey think it is o.k. to order feathered cat toys whenthere are other options. I'll go from there. I'mgoing to ask if they have a board--depending on theresponse I get. It's so against their whole mission! I was shocked! I really wonder if people are so inuredto where things are coming from that they don't eventhink about it. Weird for a humane society. I supportthat charity, so I feel deeply offended. Susan

I volunteer in a program for feral cats (it is nation wide and you might have it there too) where we trap feral cats, neuter/spay them, give them shots, clean their ears, and other medical needs and then return them to their colony. We try to find homes for the young kittens who are more amenable to living with people and we watch for cats thought to be feral but aren't and can be adopted after some resocialization. There are people who undertake to feed the cats daily at their colonies, make sure they have water, provide a shelter and watch for problems. It is a really cool program. If these cats are taken to the humane society they are put down. You can't tame the real feral cat...not the same as a stray cat or a cat that once upon a time had a home. These are usually second generation strays. Thanks to all of the loving human beings who toss them. However, this program contains the feral cat population, is humane and I think really wonderful. Even within the group of people who help at the shelters are many who say that these feral cats ought to be caught and killed. They contend they kill innocent birds and other small animals. When I point out that it isn't the cat's fault they have no home, but the doings of people who have tossed them out at some point in time. These cats are truly remarkable though, but after having been domesticated for thousands of years they can't survive for long without human assistance.

linda

-

jo Well done. Let us know how you get on. I have noticed that many peopleextend their feelings on animal cruelty only to dogs and cats, and birdsrarely come into this.

They can replicate feathers much as they do fur or anything else out there on the market. I would protest the use of feathers from animals too. People many times think that the down in there pillows or comforters are just plucked from live birds who then go on to grow new ones. Doubt that the manufacturers of the feathered article are going around picking up feathers some free bird happened to drop on the ground. No, that would not fall into the category of profitability and that is what it is all about...profit.

linda

-

jo

What would they make feathers from? In the UK bird feathers are often used for all sorts of things.

In my pre-veggie innocence I used to think they used feathers that had been moulted! Just shows how niaive people can be.

Jo

-

linda

linda

-

Susan

I can only speak for the UK. We have over 8 million cats here, and the bird population is going down.

Jo

-

linda

Sunday, December 11, 2005 4:33 PM

I volunteer in a program for feral cats (it is nation wide and you might have it there too) where we trap feral cats, neuter/spay them, give them shots, clean their ears, and other medical needs and then return them to their colony. We try to find homes for the young kittens who are more amenable to living with people and we watch for cats thought to be feral but aren't and can be adopted after some resocialization. There are people who undertake to feed the cats daily at their colonies, make sure they have water, provide a shelter and watch for problems. It is a really cool program. If these cats are taken to the humane society they are put down. You can't tame the real feral cat...not the same as a stray cat or a cat that once upon a time had a home. These are usually second generation strays. Thanks to all of the loving human beings who toss them. However, this program contains the feral cat population, is humane and I think really wonderful. Even within the group of people who help at the shelters are many who say that these feral cats ought to be caught and killed. They contend they kill innocent birds and other small animals. When I point out that it isn't the cat's fault they have no home, but the doings of people who have tossed them out at some point in time. These cats are truly remarkable though, but after having been domesticated for thousands of years they can't survive for long without human assistance.

linda

-

jo Well done. Let us know how you get on. I have noticed that many peopleextend their feelings on animal cruelty only to dogs and cats, and birdsrarely come into this.

Do they realise how cruel and painful it would be for the bird to be plucked alive?

Jo

-

linda

Sunday, December 11, 2005 4:37 PM

They can replicate feathers much as they do fur or anything else out there on the market. I would protest the use of feathers from animals too. People many times think that the down in there pillows or comforters are just plucked from live birds who then go on to grow new ones. Doubt that the manufacturers of the feathered article are going around picking up feathers some free bird happened to drop on the ground. No, that would not fall into the category of profitability and that is what it is all about...profit.

linda

-

jo

Jo

-

linda

linda

-

Susan

You dont like cats do you? You cant blame them. Blame the owners/people who abandon them. The Valley Vegan................jo <jo.heartwork wrote: I can only speak for the UK. We have over 8 million cats here, and the bird population is going down. Jo - linda Sunday, December 11, 2005 4:33 PM Re: Re: Humane Society I volunteer in a program for feral cats (it is nation wide and you might have it there too) where we trap feral cats, neuter/spay them, give them shots, clean their ears, and other medical needs and then return them to their colony. We try to find homes for the young kittens who are more amenable to living with people and we watch for cats thought to be feral but aren't and can be adopted after some resocialization. There are people who undertake to feed the cats daily at their colonies, make sure they have water, provide a shelter and watch for

problems. It is a really cool program. If these cats are taken to the humane society they are put down. You can't tame the real feral cat...not the same as a stray cat or a cat that once upon a time had a home. These are usually second generation strays. Thanks to all of the loving human beings who toss them. However, this program contains the feral cat population, is humane and I think really wonderful. Even within the group of people who help at the shelters are many who say that these feral cats ought to be caught and killed. They contend they kill innocent birds and other small animals. When I point out that it isn't the cat's fault they have no home, but the doings of people who have tossed them out at some point in time. These cats are truly remarkable though, but after having been domesticated for thousands of years they can't survive for long without human assistance. linda - jo Well done. Let us know how you get on. I have noticed that many peopleextend their feelings on animal cruelty only to dogs and cats, and birdsrarely come into this.Peter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.