IndiaDivine.org

Druidry from 1490 to 1650, then you can ask me.... I am 99% confident

Rate this topic

Guest guest

hi peter... my question is.... what was the druid's philosophy on food during the 1490 to 1650 period?

peace

colin

-

Peter

Sunday, December 11, 2005 12:01 PM

Re: Lines drawn in battle over Christmas

Hi Peter

> Thats good to hear. The way I`ve seen them historically portrayed is basically a male order who practised human sacrifice.

> Know any good web info I can look at? being welsh I should take an interest.

Honest answer.... no decent websites that I've ever found (not on an historical level, anyway). If you want to read some books, then Kendrick's "The Druids" is about the only decent one out there... but if you wait for about 18 months, then Ronald Hutton is currently working on one.

If there's anything you want to know about views on Druidry from 1490 to 1650, then you can ask me.... I am 99% confident in saying that I have researched that particular period in more depth than anyone else living :-)

BB

Peter

Hi Colin

Welcome to the list!

> hi peter... my question is.... what was the druid's philosophy on food during the 1490 to 1650 period?

There weren't actually any Druids around between 1490 to 1650 - the "originals" died out in about 400 CE, and the revivalists didn't appear until the 18th century... however, there was an awful lot of writing about the ancient Druids during the period - unfortunately none of it at all mentioned food! About the only thing that could come close is some of the writings which cited Pliny's references to the use of mistletoe and selago, but that was more in the way of medicine / magical use than as food.

Still, good question :-)

BB

Peter

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_g2603/is_0005/ai_2603000527

I don't know about Druids, but here is a link with a

short history of Mistletoe use. Susan

--- peter hurd <swpgh01 wrote:

> That reminds me, mistetoe is in short supply again

> as pickers are taking too much of the plants for

> commercial gain and ruining its chances of growing

> back. Also its prefered habitat is shrinking ( old

> apple trees) as orchards are being

> abandoned/developed.

> What did the Druids use it for , I believe it is

> poisonous, so I assume asa purgeant in small doses?

>

Hi Peter

> That reminds me, mistetoe is in short supply again as pickers are taking too much of the plants for commercial gain and

> ruining its chances of growing back. Also its prefered habitat is shrinking ( old apple trees) as orchards are being

> abandoned/developed.

> What did the Druids use it for , I believe it is poisonous, so I assume asa purgeant in small doses?

The only reference to it being used by Druids is from Pliny - he seems to think they used it as a cure-all for any disease... but it had to be cut in a special ceremony which involved the killing of two white bulls, and a golden sickle...

BB

Peter

a lot of older cultures/societies used it....

medicines, folk cures, etc and so forth Peter Dec 12, 2005 6:54 PM Re: Druidry from 1490 to 1650, then you can ask me.... I am 99% confident

Hi Peter

> That reminds me, mistetoe is in short supply again as pickers are taking too much of the plants for commercial gain and

> ruining its chances of growing back. Also its prefered habitat is shrinking ( old apple trees) as orchards are being

> abandoned/developed.

> What did the Druids use it for , I believe it is poisonous, so I assume asa purgeant in small doses?

The only reference to it being used by Druids is from Pliny - he seems to think they used it as a cure-all for any disease... but it had to be cut in a special ceremony which involved the killing of two white bulls, and a golden sickle...

BB

Peter

To send an email to -

Thats horrible! The Valley Vegan..............Peter <metalscarab wrote: Hi Peter > That reminds me, mistetoe is in short supply again as pickers are taking too much of the plants for commercial gain and > ruining its chances of growing back. Also its prefered habitat is shrinking ( old apple trees) as orchards are being > abandoned/developed. > What did the Druids use it for , I believe it is poisonous, so I assume asa purgeant in small doses? The only reference to it being used by Druids is from Pliny - he seems to think

they used it as a cure-all for any disease... but it had to be cut in a special ceremony which involved the killing of two white bulls, and a golden sickle... BB Peter Peter H

Play Santa's Celebrity Xmas Party, an exclusive game from