IndiaDivine.org

Humane Society

Rate this topic

Guest guest

, genie bottle <geniesflower> wrote:

>

> Yes, but the Humane Society is involved with people from all walks of life, it

has to be in order to function. If they only fed veggie fare, farmers and

others

who do eat meat might not come and might not support. And, most of the

people in the animal rescue group that I volunteer with do eat meat. It is not

mutually exclusive. Though, I do see the hypocracy/irony in the event.

However, it is not like everyone can be instantly " converted " - it is a big leap

for many people to even admit that ANY animal has any rights... The humane

society is good in general, I am happy they exist at all.

> Genie

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Well said, Genie, and good point. I imagine many meat-eating supporters

would be turned off and not likely to come to a fundraiser dinner if it didn't

have what they consider " regular food " . Maybe they could compromise and

do a spaghetti dinner next time. *laughs and shrugs* At least that way

meatballs don't look like a dog turning over an open flame. ;-)

I support my local humane society. I am glad they exist and are a no-kill

organisation. Kudos to them for all they do manage to do for animal welfare.

~ P_T ~

Those who know nothing of foreign languages know

nothing of their own. -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe,

dramatist, novelist, and philosopher (1749-1832)

There is nothing wrong with eating meat or even breeding animals for

the purpose of eating them. The entire issue is about the detention

conditions. Meat production has evolved into one of the most grand-

scale hellishly inhumane inventions. There is only one other area

where pain and torture are greater, laboratories of all sorts where

millions of animals suffer the most horrifying atrocities.

Even where meat and experiments are not involved, reality is

sinister. Dog loving Americans abandon 15 million dogs every year, a

larger number of cats and an untold gigantic mass of birds, fish,

reptiles and batrachians.

In this society, pets are toys and when fun is over, the toys and

pets are discarded.

There is no hope and no refuge for animals. We are the merciless Huns

of Hell.

Along that topic, you all should read the book, Fast Food Nation, byEric

Schlosser. Same idea of where meat comes from and how the fast food industry

has evolved/taken over. Let's just say I rarly eat at chains anymore...

annoyingtroll wrote:There is nothing wrong with eating meat or even breeding

animals for

the purpose of eating them. The entire issue is about the detention

conditions. Meat production has evolved into one of the most grand-

scale hellishly inhumane inventions. There is only one other area

where pain and torture are greater, laboratories of all sorts where

millions of animals suffer the most horrifying atrocities.

Even where meat and experiments are not involved, reality is

sinister. Dog loving Americans abandon 15 million dogs every year, a

larger number of cats and an untold gigantic mass of birds, fish,

reptiles and batrachians.

In this society, pets are toys and when fun is over, the toys and

pets are discarded.

There is no hope and no refuge for animals. We are the merciless Huns

of Hell.

Hi,

Had to put my two cents in. My reason for becoming a

vegetarian was the intolerable thought about the

mindless death of a living creature. Is my selfish

appetite greater than the worth of another being? So

my vegetarianism is ethical. I do see something wrong

in eating meat and this comes from someone who was

raised in a meat/potato family with farm ties.

When I have ate meat after becoming a vegetarian,

(yes, I'll admit it), I have had to disassociate

myself because the thought of it was too painful. I

always regretted it. I'm most happy as a vegan these

days.

windy

--- genie bottle <geniesflower wrote:

>

> Along that topic, you all should read the book, Fast

> Food Nation, byEric Schlosser. Same idea of where

> meat comes from and how the fast food industry has

> evolved/taken over. Let's just say I rarly eat at

> chains anymore...

> annoyingtroll wrote:There is nothing wrong with

> eating meat or even breeding animals for

> the purpose of eating them. The entire issue is

> about the detention

> conditions. Meat production has evolved into one of

> the most grand-

> scale hellishly inhumane inventions. There is only

> one other area

> where pain and torture are greater, laboratories of

> all sorts where

> millions of animals suffer the most horrifying

> atrocities.

>

> Even where meat and experiments are not involved,

> reality is

> sinister. Dog loving Americans abandon 15 million

> dogs every year, a

> larger number of cats and an untold gigantic mass of

> birds, fish,

> reptiles and batrachians.

>

> In this society, pets are toys and when fun is over,

> the toys and

> pets are discarded.

>

> There is no hope and no refuge for animals. We are

> the merciless Huns

> of Hell.

>

>

>

>

>

• 3 years later...

Just stating a fact - you can make what you like of it.

Jo

, peter hurd <swpgh01@t...> wrote:

>

> You dont like cats do you? You cant blame them. Blame the

owners/people who abandon them.

>

> The Valley Vegan................

>

> jo <jo.heartwork@g...> wrote:

> I can only speak for the UK. We have over 8 million cats

here, and the bird population is going down.

>

> Jo

> -

> linda

>

> Sunday, December 11, 2005 4:33 PM

> Re: Re: Humane Society

>

>

> I volunteer in a program for feral cats (it is nation wide and you

might have it there too) where we trap feral cats, neuter/spay them,

give them shots, clean their ears, and other medical needs and then

return them to their colony. We try to find homes for the young

kittens who are more amenable to living with people and we watch for

cats thought to be feral but aren't and can be adopted after some

resocialization. There are people who undertake to feed the cats daily

at their colonies, make sure they have water, provide a shelter and

watch for problems. It is a really cool program. If these cats are

taken to the humane society they are put down. You can't tame the real

feral cat...not the same as a stray cat or a cat that once upon a time

had a home. These are usually second generation strays. Thanks to all

of the loving human beings who toss them. However, this program

contains the feral cat population, is humane and I think really

wonderful. Even within the group of people who

> help at the shelters are many who say that these feral cats ought

to be caught and killed. They contend they kill innocent birds and

other small animals. When I point out that it isn't the cat's fault

they have no home, but the doings of people who have tossed them out

at some point in time. These cats are truly remarkable though, but

after having been domesticated for thousands of years they can't

survive for long without human assistance.

> linda

> -

> jo

>

> Well done. Let us know how you get on. I have noticed that many people

> extend their feelings on animal cruelty only to dogs and cats, and birds

> rarely come into this.

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

>

>

>

You obviously have! The Valley Vegan...............heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote: Just stating a fact - you can make what you like of it. Jo , peter hurd wrote:>> You dont like cats do you? You cant blame them. Blame theowners/people who abandon them.> > The Valley Vegan................> > jo wrote:> I can only speak for the UK. We have over 8 million catshere, and the bird population is going down.> > Jo> - > linda > > Sunday, December 11, 2005 4:33 PM> Re: Re: Humane Society> > > I volunteer in a program for

feral cats (it is nation wide and youmight have it there too) where we trap feral cats, neuter/spay them,give them shots, clean their ears, and other medical needs and thenreturn them to their colony. We try to find homes for the youngkittens who are more amenable to living with people and we watch forcats thought to be feral but aren't and can be adopted after someresocialization. There are people who undertake to feed the cats dailyat their colonies, make sure they have water, provide a shelter andwatch for problems. It is a really cool program. If these cats aretaken to the humane society they are put down. You can't tame the realferal cat...not the same as a stray cat or a cat that once upon a timehad a home. These are usually second generation strays. Thanks to allof the loving human beings who toss them. However, this programcontains the feral cat population, is humane and I think reallywonderful. Even within the group of

people who> help at the shelters are many who say that these feral cats oughtto be caught and killed. They contend they kill innocent birds andother small animals. When I point out that it isn't the cat's faultthey have no home, but the doings of people who have tossed them outat some point in time. These cats are truly remarkable though, butafter having been domesticated for thousands of years they can'tsurvive for long without human assistance.> linda> - > jo > > Well done. Let us know how you get on. I have noticed that many people> extend their feelings on animal cruelty only to dogs and cats, and birds> rarely come into this.> > > > To send an email to - > > > >

I know...something hasn't reached their hearts yet and until it does they just don't think or dismiss it because they want what they want, when and how they want it and they want it to be cheap. Molting...yes that would have been what I thought too if I had ever really seen things made from feathers. Naive too, but then maybe it isn't so bad to be the kind of person that can't conceive of people deliberately hurting another sentient being for their own profitability or looks. I think that they just haven't discovered themselves. (So lets just help them out...LOL)People that wear furs are an enigma to me...then I realize it isn't because they hate animals, it is because they "love" (and I use that term loosely) themselves and can't see beyond the end of their noses where if they did they would find their own lives so much more meaningful and safe they wouldn't need to prove themselves by wearing fur. Of course that applies to nearly every area of life anyway.

linda

"Whatever you do will be insignificant and it is very important that you do it."Mohandas Gandhi

linda's Growing Stitchery Projects: womyn47

-

jo

Sunday, December 11, 2005 10:21 AM

Re: Re: Humane Society

Do they realise how cruel and painful it would be for the bird to be plucked alive?

Jo

-

linda

Sunday, December 11, 2005 4:37 PM

They can replicate feathers much as they do fur or anything else out there on the market. I would protest the use of feathers from animals too. People many times think that the down in there pillows or comforters are just plucked from live birds who then go on to grow new ones. Doubt that the manufacturers of the feathered article are going around picking up feathers some free bird happened to drop on the ground. No, that would not fall into the category of profitability and that is what it is all about...profit.

linda

"Whatever you do will be insignificant and it is very important that you do it."Mohandas Gandhi

-

jo

What would they make feathers from? In the UK bird feathers are often used for all sorts of things.

In my pre-veggie innocence I used to think they used feathers that had been moulted! Just shows how niaive people can be.

Jo

We have one here, but it's over on the peninsula. I

was trapping feral cats/kittens here for awhile until

I found out that they get put down. Even the no-kill

shelters will put them down. So I stopped. I did get

our property manager to seal off all the air vent

openings under the buildings so the cats can't go

under there to have kittens anymore. I wish we had

one of those programs closer. There were six more

kittens this year from two litters and I haven't seen

any of them since the cold weather started. I think

coyotes and owls pick them off. It's sad and so

unneccessary. I recently got the contact info for the

one we do have (on the peninsula) so I can call and

get more info.

--- linda <lindai81 wrote:

> I volunteer in a program for feral cats (it is

> nation wide and you might have it there too) where

> we trap feral cats, neuter/spay them, give them

> shots, clean their ears, and other medical needs and

> then return them to their colony.

Here is a link to the feral cat programs in your area that trap/neuter/return the feral cats. It is such an excellent program and they are all over the place. The site lists the programs that are in your area and they also have direct links to the internet sites that are there which is great.

http://www.alleycat.org/orgs.html#wa

The problem as I see it with the sealing up of the vents is that the cats then have no where to go to be in out of the weather. They have their kittens there yes, but what damage does that do? Cats have been domesticated for thousands of years and it is a false idea that feral cats can fend for themselves because they revert to their wild state. They need us to continue to protect them. With the trap/neuter/return program the population is stabilized and the cats are protected. They didn't do this, people did by not spaying their cats and throwing them out. Feral cats have no chance even in the no kill shelters. They can not be tamed and thus are not adoptable. But their kittens may be.

linda

-

Susan

Monday, December 12, 2005 3:36 AM

We have one here, but it's over on the peninsula. Iwas trapping feral cats/kittens here for awhile untilI found out that they get put down. Even the no-killshelters will put them down. So I stopped. I did getour property manager to seal off all the air ventopenings under the buildings so the cats can't gounder there to have kittens anymore. I wish we hadone of those programs closer. There were six morekittens this year from two litters and I haven't seenany of them since the cold weather started. I thinkcoyotes and owls pick them off. It's sad and sounneccessary. I recently got the contact info for theone we do have (on the peninsula) so I can call andget more info. --- linda <lindai81 wrote:> I volunteer in a program for feral cats (it is> nation wide and you might have it there too) where> we trap feral cats, neuter/spay them, give them> shots, clean their ears, and other medical needs and> then return them to their colony.

I don`t realy agree with the statement that feral cats cant fend for themselves. How else would they be breeding at such a prolific rate. In Scotland there are Scottish wildcats that are roughly the same size as most domesticated cats and have been for centuries. In cities and towns there seem to be more food for them to scavange than in wilder areas. All cats have the killing instinct and when they revert to feral ( usualy only 2 generations from domestication ) that sense is heightened, and I believe that they can survive. Nature will thin out the population as nature does with any wild animal, but there are still too many feral cats. Don`t get me wrong I love the fury blighters, and have 2 "rescued" moggies myself, I just think that they are tougher than you make out. In some areas they are a phenomenal problem to wildlife particularly birds. The Valley Vegan.................. A hug warms the soul and places a smile in

the heart.linda <lindai81 wrote: Here is a link to the feral cat programs in your area that trap/neuter/return the feral cats. It is such an excellent program and they are all over the place. The site lists the programs that are in your area and they also have direct links to the internet sites that are there which is great. http://www.alleycat.org/orgs.html#wa The problem as I see it with the sealing up of the vents is that the cats then have no where to go to be in out of the weather.

They have their kittens there yes, but what damage does that do? Cats have been domesticated for thousands of years and it is a false idea that feral cats can fend for themselves because they revert to their wild state. They need us to continue to protect them. With the trap/neuter/return program the population is stabilized and the cats are protected. They didn't do this, people did by not spaying their cats and throwing them out. Feral cats have no chance even in the no kill shelters. They can not be tamed and thus are not adoptable. But their kittens may be. linda "Whatever you do will be insignificant and it is very important that you do it."Mohandas Gandhi linda's Growing Stitchery Projects: womyn47 - Susan Monday, December 12, 2005 3:36 AM Re: Re: Humane Society We have one here, but it's over on the peninsula. Iwas trapping feral cats/kittens here for awhile untilI found out that they get put down. Even the no-killshelters will put them down. So I stopped. I did getour property manager to seal off all the air ventopenings under the buildings so the cats can't gounder there to have

kittens anymore. I wish we hadone of those programs closer. There were six morekittens this year from two litters and I haven't seenany of them since the cold weather started. I thinkcoyotes and owls pick them off. It's sad and sounneccessary. I recently got the contact info for theone we do have (on the peninsula) so I can call andget more info. --- linda <lindai81 wrote:> I volunteer in a program for feral cats (it is> nation wide and you might have it there too) where> we trap feral cats, neuter/spay them, give them> shots, clean their ears, and other medical needs and> then return them to their colony. To send an email to - Peter H

How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Photos. Get Photos