IndiaDivine.org

Freegans tv night

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Speaking of which my daughter just informed me there is a piece on 20/20 tonight at 10 about Freegans about whom we were just speaking and apparently they are going to just focus in on the dumpster diving which isn't what it is all about....it is about not consuming and recycling. I did join a list here in my town on the net for a week or so and it was truly amazing. People would say they needed a crib or whatever it was that they needed and someone else would give it to them. People would give away whatever they weren't using anymore...all of this free. There was a chat list too and it was friendly and amazing at telling about resources around town that were free or could be had by people meeting a specific income level. I enjoyed it a lot while I was there, just couldn't stay as I don't need anything, have already pared down to just the minimum so have nothing to give away. But I kept their sites to go back showed I want to.

linda

Surely that is Freecycle.

Jo

-

linda

Saturday, December 17, 2005 2:15 AM

Freegans tv night

Speaking of which my daughter just informed me there is a piece on 20/20 tonight at 10 about Freegans about whom we were just speaking and apparently they are going to just focus in on the dumpster diving which isn't what it is all about....it is about not consuming and recycling. I did join a list here in my town on the net for a week or so and it was truly amazing. People would say they needed a crib or whatever it was that they needed and someone else would give it to them. People would give away whatever they weren't using anymore...all of this free. There was a chat list too and it was friendly and amazing at telling about resources around town that were free or could be had by people meeting a specific income level. I enjoyed it a lot while I was there, just couldn't stay as I don't need anything, have already pared down to just the minimum so have nothing to give away. But I kept their sites to go back showed I want to.

linda

Hi Jo

I thought the same thing when I read this too.

Funny thing, a couple of days ago I joined a group called Witch

Cycle which is the same concept of Freecycle but geared more towards

Pagen items in the US. I received the " Etiquette File " after joining

and it was almost exact to the Freecycle one. So I contacted the

moderator and turns out she is a member of the Chicago group that I

run and just tweaked the file.

Ok, maybe it wasn't that funny now that I read it.

Oh, just forget I said anything!

;)

BB

Nikki

, " jo " <jo.heartwork@g...> wrote:

>

> Surely that is Freecycle.

>

> Jo

> -

> linda

>

> Saturday, December 17, 2005 2:15 AM

> Freegans tv night

>

>

> Speaking of which my daughter just informed me there is a piece

on 20/20 tonight at 10 about Freegans about whom we were just

speaking and apparently they are going to just focus in on the

dumpster diving which isn't what it is all about....it is about not

consuming and recycling. I did join a list here in my town on the

net for a week or so and it was truly amazing. People would say they

needed a crib or whatever it was that they needed and someone else

would give it to them. People would give away whatever they weren't

using anymore...all of this free. There was a chat list too and it

was friendly and amazing at telling about resources around town that

were free or could be had by people meeting a specific income level.

I enjoyed it a lot while I was there, just couldn't stay as I don't

need anything, have already pared down to just the minimum so have

nothing to give away. But I kept their sites to go back showed I

want to.

> linda

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

>

>

>

I went and looked at the stuff and you are absolutely right...it is Freecycle...it came up on our Freegan site and I just thought it was one and the same. However, it is apparently loaded with Freegans anyway and that is how they identify themselves. I think it is really interesting and cool for the younger set and people without resources adequate to their needs and the whole idea of working on being less of a consumer. The program last night on tv wasn't too bad, they just focussed on food scavenging in the dumpsters behind grocery stores and restaurants. Actually there were some nice things on it and the people weren't flakes...they gathered food too and gave it out to the homeless. Of course they had a physician that was pointing out the hazards of such food harvesting. But, Freegans are vegans for the most part so that helps in that area. Actually there is a site on the Freegan site that gives guidelines to what not to take from the dumpster for food safety. So far they really haven't had a problem with getting food this way. I don't want to do it though.

linda

"Whatever you do will be insignificant and it is very important that you do it."Mohandas Gandhi

linda's Growing Stitchery Projects: womyn47

-

jo

I belong to our local Freecycle mailing list - we got a door for the back porch from it (must remind Colin to fit it!). I think it is a good idea.

Jo

-

linda

Saturday, December 17, 2005 3:50 PM

Re: Freegans tv night

I went and looked at the stuff and you are absolutely right...it is Freecycle...it came up on our Freegan site and I just thought it was one and the same. However, it is apparently loaded with Freegans anyway and that is how they identify themselves. I think it is really interesting and cool for the younger set and people without resources adequate to their needs and the whole idea of working on being less of a consumer. The program last night on tv wasn't too bad, they just focussed on food scavenging in the dumpsters behind grocery stores and restaurants. Actually there were some nice things on it and the people weren't flakes...they gathered food too and gave it out to the homeless. Of course they had a physician that was pointing out the hazards of such food harvesting. But, Freegans are vegans for the most part so that helps in that area. Actually there is a site on the Freegan site that gives guidelines to what not to take from the dumpster for food safety. So far they really haven't had a problem with getting food this way. I don't want to do it though.

linda

"Whatever you do will be insignificant and it is very important that you do it."Mohandas Gandhi

-

jo

almost saw that last nite

it was on the tv over the bar at the show..but of course no sound

followed up by a story titled "heaven, is it real? where is it?"

no comment......... linda Dec 16, 2005 6:15 PM Freegans tv night

linda

To send an email to -

Hi Jo

I think Freecycle is awesome! I run the Chicago group and own the

Oak Lawn group and just think that it is amazing. Sure, we have a

lot of greedy members, especially on Chicago who are just looking

out for how much they can get. And then we have some wonderful ones

who just help out so many in need.

There are some amazing stories we see that go through the group too.

It's definately a great things to be a part of!

BB

Nikki :)

, " jo " <jo.heartwork@g...> wrote:

>

> I belong to our local Freecycle mailing list - we got a door for

the back porch from it (must remind Colin to fit it!). I think it

is a good idea.

>

> Jo

Along with our Freecycle site we have a FreecycleCafe which is an extension of the freecycle site and all sort of really nifty things happen on there. One man just opened his home and invited anyone that doesn't have a place to go for Christmas and has made it potluck.

linda

-

earthstrm

Hi JoI think Freecycle is awesome! I run the Chicago group and own the Oak Lawn group and just think that it is amazing. Sure, we have a lot of greedy members, especially on Chicago who are just looking out for how much they can get. And then we have some wonderful ones who just help out so many in need.There are some amazing stories we see that go through the group too. It's definately a great things to be a part of!BBNikki :) , "jo" <jo.heartwork@g...> wrote:>> I belong to our local Freecycle mailing list - we got a door for the back porch from it (must remind Colin to fit it!). I think it is a good idea.> > Jo

I love the concept,

but I've heard that freegans eat meat,

you know, they'll recycle whatever a restaurant

is trowing away, so that it won't go to waste, the thing is

they feel that it is already killed, but, they won't buy new/fresh meat.

if this is true, then I embrace their ideology except for that part.

I myself, have been spending, on new items, such as new clothes,

however I will resolve not to and just rather try to

get used, quality clothes, vintage is my style anyways.

and I have looked in garbage cans.. picked up books.. magazines.

, " linda " <lindai81@c...> wrote:

>

> Along with our Freecycle site we have a FreecycleCafe which is an

extension of the freecycle site and all sort of really nifty things

happen on there. One man just opened his home and invited anyone that

doesn't have a place to go for Christmas and has made it potluck.

To answer your question:

"Freegan" is an amalgamation of the words "free" and "vegan". Vegans are people who avoid products from animal sources or products tested on animals in an effort to avoid harming animals. Freegans take this a step further by recognizing that in a complex, industrial mass-production society economy driven by profit, abuses of humans, animals, and the Earth abound at all levels of production

http://freegan.info/

linda

-

Anouk Sickler

Monday, December 19, 2005 10:06 PM

I love the concept, but I've heard that freegans eat meat,you know, they'll recycle whatever a restaurantis trowing away, so that it won't go to waste, the thing is they feel that it is already killed, but, they won't buy new/fresh meat.if this is true, then I embrace their ideology except for that part. I myself, have been spending, on new items, such as new clothes,however I will resolve not to and just rather try to get used, quality clothes, vintage is my style anyways.and I have looked in garbage cans.. picked up books.. magazines.

I disagree with you.

There are many freegans who eat meat. That is a fact.

some of them will also wear a fur coat if it has been thrown out.

Thus, the definition of combinining the two words is misleading and

false.

I have been strictly vegan for two years, what I resent is the

aparent competition between freegans and vegans. I think it is silly

when they say, they go a step further than vegans.

I do practice some of their ideoligies, but will never eat dead flesh.

I also sometimes wonder how clean or full of bacteria are the foods

that they find in garbage cans.

freegans are a good cause, but I don't choose between one or the

other. I am a vegan who adopts some of the freegan philosophy, except

the meat eating part.

http://freegan.info/?page=Meagan

http://freegan.info/?page=Cheaters

http://www.livejournal.com/community/veganism/835556.html?mode=reply

http://www.wolftrust.org.uk/aec-v-entries.html

, " linda " <lindai81@c...> wrote:

>

> To answer your question:

>

> " Freegan " is an amalgamation of the words " free " and " vegan " . Vegans

are people who avoid products from animal sources or products tested

on animals in an effort to avoid harming animals. Freegans take this a

step further by recognizing that in a complex, industrial

mass-production society economy driven by profit, abuses of humans,

animals, and the Earth abound at all levels of production

>

> http://freegan.info/

>

> linda

>

> " Whatever you do will be insignificant and it is very important that

you do it. "

> Mohandas Gandhi

>

> linda's Growing Stitchery Projects: womyn47

> -

> Anouk Sickler

>

> Monday, December 19, 2005 10:06 PM

> Re: Freegans tv night

>

>

> I love the concept,

> but I've heard that freegans eat meat,

> you know, they'll recycle whatever a restaurant

> is trowing away, so that it won't go to waste, the thing is

> they feel that it is already killed, but, they won't buy

new/fresh meat.

> if this is true, then I embrace their ideology except for that part.

>

> I myself, have been spending, on new items, such as new clothes,

> however I will resolve not to and just rather try to

> get used, quality clothes, vintage is my style anyways.

>

> and I have looked in garbage cans.. picked up books.. magazines.

>

That wasn't my opinion , I simply sent you a site that is about the freegans. I know very little about them so there was no need to disagree with me as I wasn't stating an opinion, just sending along a site about them. I just heard about them about one-two weeks ago.

linda

-

Anouk Sickler

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 8:39 AM

I disagree with you. There are many freegans who eat meat. That is a fact.some of them will also wear a fur coat if it has been thrown out. Thus, the definition of combinining the two words is misleading andfalse. I have been strictly vegan for two years, what I resent is theaparent competition between freegans and vegans. I think it is silly when they say, they go a step further than vegans.I do practice some of their ideoligies, but will never eat dead flesh. I also sometimes wonder how clean or full of bacteria are the foodsthat they find in garbage cans. freegans are a good cause, but I don't choose between one or theother. I am a vegan who adopts some of the freegan philosophy, exceptthe meat eating part. http://freegan.info/?page=Meaganhttp://freegan.info/?page=Cheatershttp://www.livejournal.com/community/veganism/835556.html?mode=replyhttp://www.wolftrust.org.uk/aec-v-entries.html--- In , "linda" <lindai81@c...> wrote:>> To answer your question:> > "Freegan" is an amalgamation of the words "free" and "vegan". Vegansare people who avoid products from animal sources or products testedon animals in an effort to avoid harming animals. Freegans take this astep further by recognizing that in a complex, industrialmass-production society economy driven by profit, abuses of humans,animals, and the Earth abound at all levels of production > > http://freegan.info/> > linda> > "Whatever you do will be insignificant and it is very important thatyou do it."> Mohandas Gandhi> > linda's Growing Stitchery Projects: womyn47> - > Anouk Sickler > > Monday, December 19, 2005 10:06 PM> Re: Freegans tv night> > > I love the concept, > but I've heard that freegans eat meat,> you know, they'll recycle whatever a restaurant> is trowing away, so that it won't go to waste, the thing is > they feel that it is already killed, but, they won't buynew/fresh meat.> if this is true, then I embrace their ideology except for that part. > > I myself, have been spending, on new items, such as new clothes,> however I will resolve not to and just rather try to > get used, quality clothes, vintage is my style anyways.> > and I have looked in garbage cans.. picked up books.. magazines.>

for the record

freegans will eat generally anything they find thats edible.... linda Dec 20, 2005 8:48 AM Re: Re: Freegans tv night

That wasn't my opinion , I simply sent you a site that is about the freegans. I know very little about them so there was no need to disagree with me as I wasn't stating an opinion, just sending along a site about them. I just heard about them about one-two weeks ago.

linda

-

Anouk Sickler

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 8:39 AM

I disagree with you. There are many freegans who eat meat. That is a fact.some of them will also wear a fur coat if it has been thrown out. Thus, the definition of combinining the two words is misleading andfalse. I have been strictly vegan for two years, what I resent is theaparent competition between freegans and vegans. I think it is silly when they say, they go a step further than vegans.I do practice some of their ideoligies, but will never eat dead flesh. I also sometimes wonder how clean or full of bacteria are the foodsthat they find in garbage cans. freegans are a good cause, but I don't choose between one or theother. I am a vegan who adopts some of the freegan philosophy, exceptthe meat eating part. http://freegan.info/?page=Meaganhttp://freegan.info/?page=Cheatershttp://www.livejournal.com/community/veganism/835556.html?mode=replyhttp://www.wolftrust.org.uk/aec-v-entries.html--- In , "linda" <lindai81@c...> wrote:>> To answer your question:> > "Freegan" is an amalgamation of the words "free" and "vegan". Vegansare people who avoid products from animal sources or products testedon animals in an effort to avoid harming animals. Freegans take this astep further by recognizing that in a complex, industrialmass-production society economy driven by profit, abuses of humans,animals, and the Earth abound at all levels of production > > http://freegan.info/> > linda> > "Whatever you do will be insignificant and it is very important thatyou do it."> Mohandas Gandhi> > linda's Growing Stitchery Projects: womyn47> - > Anouk Sickler > > Monday, December 19, 2005 10:06 PM> Re: Freegans tv night> > > I love the concept, > but I've heard that freegans eat meat,> you know, they'll recycle whatever a restaurant> is trowing away, so that it won't go to waste, the thing is > they feel that it is already killed, but, they won't buynew/fresh meat.> if this is true, then I embrace their ideology except for that part. > > I myself, have been spending, on new items, such as new clothes,> however I will resolve not to and just rather try to > get used, quality clothes, vintage is my style anyways.> > and I have looked in garbage cans.. picked up books.. magazines.>To send an email to -