IndiaDivine.org

Vegan Shoes for my American Friends

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dont know where this is , but no doubt you will put my ignorance to rest............. Vegan shoes? New local shop looks to Mac crowd Charlie WhiteStaff Writer For vegans and vegetarians, shoe shopping is not always an easy task. Leather, glue derived from animal products, and fur are just a few things these consumers have to watch for when purchasing a new pair of shoes. Also, most of these same people tend to cringe at sweatshop labor resulting in huge corporate profit, which is how nearly every shoe that you find in your average footwear outlet is made. Jon Novick's new store on Snelling Avenue is no average footwear outlet. In fact, it's not a footwear outlet at all. Fast and Furless Skinless Fashion, located just south of Macalester between St. Clair and Jefferson, sells all sorts of products, from cookies and handbags to lotion and tee-shirts, and, of course,

shoes. And not a one of them contains any trace of animal products or unfair sweatshop labor. Fast and Furless opened its doors on November 25, which happens to be Fur-Free Friday, an annual event taking place every year after Thanksgiving to protest the use of fur products. "I originally wanted to open a vegetarian café," said Novick. "I used to work at the Grille at Mac. But, I soon discovered that I do a much better job at eating vegan food than actually cooking it." Novick has had family connections to this community since his great-grandfather built the place in which he currently lives and runs Fast and Furless back in 1925. "My grandpa grew up in here. He was an apprentice at a battery repair shop for a while, then became a mechanic in 1928 when he was 17," he said. "Now, my Dad is a mechanic next door." Novick moved to Los Angeles from 2002 to 2004 after his job at the Grille. He worked at the Whole Foods in Westwood, near UCLA. During

this time, he started hearing about vegan boutiques popping up all over the place. "I thought about how frustrating it is to order vegan shoes online," he said. "Getting the size right, shipping them back and forth, it's just a big hassle. It might be easy for a wallet or something, but when it comes to shoes, it's best to be able to try them on in person." With these ideas, Novick moved back to St. Paul. It took him about another year to really commit to the idea of opening up his own store. But now that he has, he has no regrets. "I'm not only realizing my dream as an entrepreneur, but I'm doing it without producing plastic bottles and such things," he said. "It's so important to be a resource for vegans and vegetarians." When deciding where to locate Fast and Furless, one of the big things that kept him from moving to Minneapolis was the fact that he would be so close to Macalester at his location in St. Paul. "I've felt a connection to the Macalester

community for a while," he said. "I worked at the Grille, and my Dad has been fixing Mac professors' cars for a while." Novick made sure to bring some flyers over to some environmental groups on campus to help get the word out. "I'm so thrilled whenever I get a Mac student in," he said. "I'm really impressed with the students and all of their various liberal, forward thinking causes." Novick also mentioned that he did some advertising at St. Catherine's, Hamline and St. Thomas. He has had enthusiastic students come in from St. Catherine's and Hamline, although nobody has identified themselves as a St. Thomas student yet. Novick is very much against the idea of animals being treated like a commodity. In today's competitive world, everything seems to be all about the costs involved in production. "Everyone seems to just be asking how we can get the prices as low as possible," Novick said. "That's where the sweatshops, overcrowding, and other

terrible living and working conditions for animals and people come from." Novick, on the other hand, isn't as worried about the price of his products as much as how they can help reduce the unfair treatment of laborers and animals around the world. "I want to carry products good for people and animals," he said. "I import my vegetarian shoes from England. I'm not trying to gouge anyone with my prices, I just charge what I have to in order to break even with the shipping costs." While most non-animal products are made with vinyl, a cheaper material, all of Novick's products are made of micro fiber, a very high-quality tightly-woven fabric. Although it isn't particularly cheap, it is incredibly strong and durable. So although Novick's prices may appear a bit high at first, they're as low as he can afford to charge for the freely traded, animal-free, high quality products that are offered. Among Novick's shoes are Blackspot Sneakers. These shoes

feature 100% organic hemp uppers, a vegetarian toe and heel, a recycled tire sole, an anti-logo (a "hand-drawn symbol of defiance against corporate cool"), and a hand-painted red "sweet spot" on the toe, "for kicking corporate ass." Other free trade vegan shoes offered include Earth Shoes, Vegetarian Shoes, and Adbusters. But there is a lot that Fast and Furless has to offer besides shoes. Leather-free wallets, belts, purses, locally made scarves, hard-to-find books, and a vast array of hemp products from The Merry Hempsters including lotion and lip balm. "I also have the best vegan cookies in the whole world," Novick said, referring to cookies from the Sun Flour Baking Company in California. Novick is able to provide a letter from each manufacturer, proving that all of his products are free trade, with no sweatshop labor. He is also able to provide very detailed background information about the production of everything in his store. "I want customers to know

the stories behind the products they are buying," he said. Mad? Confused? Either way, you should send a letter to the editorPeter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.

Macalester is in minnesota....fyi peter hurd Dec 19, 2005 11:39 AM Re: Vegan Shoes for my American Friends

Dont know where this is , but no doubt you will put my ignorance to rest.............

Vegan shoes? New local shop looks to Mac crowd

Charlie WhiteStaff Writer For vegans and vegetarians, shoe shopping is not always an easy task. Leather, glue derived from animal products, and fur are just a few things these consumers have to watch for when purchasing a new pair of shoes. Also, most of these same people tend to cringe at sweatshop labor resulting in huge corporate profit, which is how nearly every shoe that you find in your average footwear outlet is made. Jon Novick's new store on Snelling Avenue is no average footwear outlet.

In fact, it's not a footwear outlet at all. Fast and Furless Skinless Fashion, located just south of Macalester between St. Clair and Jefferson, sells all sorts of products, from cookies and handbags to lotion and tee-shirts, and, of course, shoes. And not a one of them contains any trace of animal products or unfair sweatshop labor.

Fast and Furless opened its doors on November 25, which happens to be Fur-Free Friday, an annual event taking place every year after Thanksgiving to protest the use of fur products. "I originally wanted to open a vegetarian café," said Novick. "I used to work at the Grille at Mac. But, I soon discovered that I do a much better job at eating vegan food than actually cooking it."

Novick has had family connections to this community since his great-grandfather built the place in which he currently lives and runs Fast and Furless back in 1925. "My grandpa grew up in here. He was an apprentice at a battery repair shop for a while, then became a mechanic in 1928 when he was 17," he said. "Now, my Dad is a mechanic next door."

Novick moved to Los Angeles from 2002 to 2004 after his job at the Grille. He worked at the Whole Foods in Westwood, near UCLA. During this time, he started hearing about vegan boutiques popping up all over the place. "I thought about how frustrating it is to order vegan shoes online," he said. "Getting the size right, shipping them back and forth, it's just a big hassle. It might be easy for a wallet or something, but when it comes to shoes, it's best to be able to try them on in person."

With these ideas, Novick moved back to St. Paul. It took him about another year to really commit to the idea of opening up his own store. But now that he has, he has no regrets. "I'm not only realizing my dream as an entrepreneur, but I'm doing it without producing plastic bottles and such things," he said. "It's so important to be a resource for vegans and vegetarians."

When deciding where to locate Fast and Furless, one of the big things that kept him from moving to Minneapolis was the fact that he would be so close to Macalester at his location in St. Paul. "I've felt a connection to the Macalester community for a while," he said. "I worked at the Grille, and my Dad has been fixing Mac professors' cars for a while."

Novick made sure to bring some flyers over to some environmental groups on campus to help get the word out. "I'm so thrilled whenever I get a Mac student in," he said. "I'm really impressed with the students and all of their various liberal, forward thinking causes."

Novick also mentioned that he did some advertising at St. Catherine's, Hamline and St. Thomas. He has had enthusiastic students come in from St. Catherine's and Hamline, although nobody has identified themselves as a St. Thomas student yet.

Novick is very much against the idea of animals being treated like a commodity. In today's competitive world, everything seems to be all about the costs involved in production. "Everyone seems to just be asking how we can get the prices as low as possible," Novick said. "That's where the sweatshops, overcrowding, and other terrible living and working conditions for animals and people come from."

Novick, on the other hand, isn't as worried about the price of his products as much as how they can help reduce the unfair treatment of laborers and animals around the world. "I want to carry products good for people and animals," he said. "I import my vegetarian shoes from England. I'm not trying to gouge anyone with my prices, I just charge what I have to in order to break even with the shipping costs."

While most non-animal products are made with vinyl, a cheaper material, all of Novick's products are made of micro fiber, a very high-quality tightly-woven fabric. Although it isn't particularly cheap, it is incredibly strong and durable. So although Novick's prices may appear a bit high at first, they're as low as he can afford to charge for the freely traded, animal-free, high quality products that are offered.

Among Novick's shoes are Blackspot Sneakers. These shoes feature 100% organic hemp uppers, a vegetarian toe and heel, a recycled tire sole, an anti-logo (a "hand-drawn symbol of defiance against corporate cool"), and a hand-painted red "sweet spot" on the toe, "for kicking corporate ass." Other free trade vegan shoes offered include Earth Shoes, Vegetarian Shoes, and Adbusters.

But there is a lot that Fast and Furless has to offer besides shoes. Leather-free wallets, belts, purses, locally made scarves, hard-to-find books, and a vast array of hemp products from The Merry Hempsters including lotion and lip balm. "I also have the best vegan cookies in the whole world," Novick said, referring to cookies from the Sun Flour Baking Company in California.

Novick is able to provide a letter from each manufacturer, proving that all of his products are free trade, with no sweatshop labor. He is also able to provide very detailed background information about the production of everything in his store. "I want customers to know the stories behind the products they are buying," he said.

Mad? Confused? Either way, you should send a letter to the editor

Peter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre. To send an email to -

My other half and I get footwear from vetetarian shoes, ethical wares,

freerangers and

vegan store. He recently got some custom made walking shoes at ALtberg in

Richmond

http://www.altberg.co.uk

They charge more for vegan shoes and they say they won't last as long as leather

ones.

They measure your foot properly and then you have to go and collect them once

they have

made them.

--- In

, peter hurd <swpgh01@t...> wrote:

>

> Dont know where this is , but no doubt you will put my ignorance to

rest.............

> Vegan shoes? New local shop looks to Mac crowd Charlie WhiteStaff Writer

For

vegans and vegetarians, shoe shopping is not always an easy task. Leather, glue

derived

from animal products, and fur are just a few things these consumers have to

watch for

when purchasing a new pair of shoes. Also, most of these same people tend to

cringe at

sweatshop labor resulting in huge corporate profit, which is how nearly every

shoe that

you find in your average footwear outlet is made. Jon Novick's new store on

Snelling

Avenue is no average footwear outlet.

> In fact, it's not a footwear outlet at all. Fast and Furless Skinless

Fashion, located just

south of Macalester between St. Clair and Jefferson, sells all sorts of

products, from

cookies and handbags to lotion and tee-shirts, and, of course, shoes. And not a

one of

them contains any trace of animal products or unfair sweatshop labor.

> Fast and Furless opened its doors on November 25, which happens to be

Fur-Free

Friday, an annual event taking place every year after Thanksgiving to protest

the use of fur

products. " I originally wanted to open a vegetarian café, " said Novick. " I used

to work at

the Grille at Mac. But, I soon discovered that I do a much better job at eating

vegan food

than actually cooking it. "

> Novick has had family connections to this community since his

great-grandfather built

the place in which he currently lives and runs Fast and Furless back in 1925.

" My grandpa

grew up in here. He was an apprentice at a battery repair shop for a while, then

became a

mechanic in 1928 when he was 17, " he said. " Now, my Dad is a mechanic next

door. "

> Novick moved to Los Angeles from 2002 to 2004 after his job at the Grille.

He worked

at the Whole Foods in Westwood, near UCLA. During this time, he started hearing

about

vegan boutiques popping up all over the place. " I thought about how frustrating

it is to

order vegan shoes online, " he said. " Getting the size right, shipping them back

and forth,

it's just a big hassle. It might be easy for a wallet or something, but when it

comes to

shoes, it's best to be able to try them on in person. "

> With these ideas, Novick moved back to St. Paul. It took him about another

year to

really commit to the idea of opening up his own store. But now that he has, he

has no

regrets. " I'm not only realizing my dream as an entrepreneur, but I'm doing it

without

producing plastic bottles and such things, " he said. " It's so important to be a

resource for

vegans and vegetarians. "

> When deciding where to locate Fast and Furless, one of the big things that

kept him

from moving to Minneapolis was the fact that he would be so close to Macalester

at his

location in St. Paul. " I've felt a connection to the Macalester community for a

while, " he

said. " I worked at the Grille, and my Dad has been fixing Mac professors' cars

for a while. "

> Novick made sure to bring some flyers over to some environmental groups on

campus

to help get the word out. " I'm so thrilled whenever I get a Mac student in, " he

said. " I'm

really impressed with the students and all of their various liberal, forward

thinking causes. "

> Novick also mentioned that he did some advertising at St. Catherine's,

Hamline and St.

Thomas. He has had enthusiastic students come in from St. Catherine's and

Hamline,

although nobody has identified themselves as a St. Thomas student yet.

> Novick is very much against the idea of animals being treated like a

commodity. In

today's competitive world, everything seems to be all about the costs involved

in

production. " Everyone seems to just be asking how we can get the prices as low

as

possible, " Novick said. " That's where the sweatshops, overcrowding, and other

terrible

living and working conditions for animals and people come from. "

> Novick, on the other hand, isn't as worried about the price of his products

as much as

how they can help reduce the unfair treatment of laborers and animals around the

world. " I

want to carry products good for people and animals, " he said. " I import my

vegetarian

shoes from England. I'm not trying to gouge anyone with my prices, I just charge

what I

have to in order to break even with the shipping costs. "

> While most non-animal products are made with vinyl, a cheaper material, all

of

Novick's products are made of micro fiber, a very high-quality tightly-woven

fabric.

Although it isn't particularly cheap, it is incredibly strong and durable. So

although

Novick's prices may appear a bit high at first, they're as low as he can afford

to charge for

the freely traded, animal-free, high quality products that are offered.

> Among Novick's shoes are Blackspot Sneakers. These shoes feature 100%

organic

hemp uppers, a vegetarian toe and heel, a recycled tire sole, an anti-logo (a

" hand-drawn

symbol of defiance against corporate cool " ), and a hand-painted red " sweet spot "

on the

toe, " for kicking corporate ass. " Other free trade vegan shoes offered include

Earth Shoes,

Vegetarian Shoes, and Adbusters.

> But there is a lot that Fast and Furless has to offer besides shoes.

Leather-free wallets,

belts, purses, locally made scarves, hard-to-find books, and a vast array of

hemp products

from The Merry Hempsters including lotion and lip balm. " I also have the best

vegan

cookies in the whole world, " Novick said, referring to cookies from the Sun

Flour Baking

Company in California.

> Novick is able to provide a letter from each manufacturer, proving that all

of his

products are free trade, with no sweatshop labor. He is also able to provide

very detailed

background information about the production of everything in his store. " I want

customers

to know the stories behind the products they are buying, " he said.

> Mad? Confused? Either way, you should send a letter to the editor

>

>

>

> Peter H

>

>

>

>

> To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new

Security

Centre.

>

Go to: bestveganstores.com for everything you might want to find that is vegan. Click on vegan and then one stop vegan shopping. It has the best selection of vegan stuff I have found on the web ;)herbvalerian <herbvalerian wrote: My other half and I get footwear from vetetarian shoes, ethical wares, freerangers and vegan store. He recently got some custom made walking shoes at ALtberg in Richmond http://www.altberg.co.uk They charge more for vegan shoes and they say they won't last as long as leather ones. They measure your foot properly and then you have to go and collect them once they have made them. , peter hurd <swpgh01@t...> wrote: > > Dont know where this is , but no

doubt you will put my ignorance to rest............. > Vegan shoes? New local shop looks to Mac crowd Charlie WhiteStaff Writer For vegans and vegetarians, shoe shopping is not always an easy task. Leather, glue derived from animal products, and fur are just a few things these consumers have to watch for when purchasing a new pair of shoes. Also, most of these same people tend to cringe at sweatshop labor resulting in huge corporate profit, which is how nearly every shoe that you find in your average footwear outlet is made. Jon Novick's new store on Snelling Avenue is no average footwear outlet. > In fact, it's not a footwear outlet at all. Fast and Furless Skinless Fashion, located just south of Macalester between St. Clair and Jefferson, sells all sorts of products, from cookies and handbags to lotion and tee-shirts, and, of course, shoes. And not a one of them contains any trace

of animal products or unfair sweatshop labor. > Fast and Furless opened its doors on November 25, which happens to be Fur-Free Friday, an annual event taking place every year after Thanksgiving to protest the use of fur products. "I originally wanted to open a vegetarian café," said Novick. "I used to work at the Grille at Mac. But, I soon discovered that I do a much better job at eating vegan food than actually cooking it." > Novick has had family connections to this community since his great-grandfather built the place in which he currently lives and runs Fast and Furless back in 1925. "My grandpa grew up in here. He was an apprentice at a battery repair shop for a while, then became a mechanic in 1928 when he was 17," he said. "Now, my Dad is a mechanic next door." > Novick moved to Los Angeles from 2002 to 2004 after his job at the Grille. He worked at the Whole Foods in Westwood,

near UCLA. During this time, he started hearing about vegan boutiques popping up all over the place. "I thought about how frustrating it is to order vegan shoes online," he said. "Getting the size right, shipping them back and forth, it's just a big hassle. It might be easy for a wallet or something, but when it comes to shoes, it's best to be able to try them on in person." > With these ideas, Novick moved back to St. Paul. It took him about another year to really commit to the idea of opening up his own store. But now that he has, he has no regrets. "I'm not only realizing my dream as an entrepreneur, but I'm doing it without producing plastic bottles and such things," he said. "It's so important to be a resource for vegans and vegetarians." > When deciding where to locate Fast and Furless, one of the big things that kept him from moving to Minneapolis was the fact that he would be so close to

Macalester at his location in St. Paul. "I've felt a connection to the Macalester community for a while," he said. "I worked at the Grille, and my Dad has been fixing Mac professors' cars for a while." > Novick made sure to bring some flyers over to some environmental groups on campus to help get the word out. "I'm so thrilled whenever I get a Mac student in," he said. "I'm really impressed with the students and all of their various liberal, forward thinking causes." > Novick also mentioned that he did some advertising at St. Catherine's, Hamline and St. Thomas. He has had enthusiastic students come in from St. Catherine's and Hamline, although nobody has identified themselves as a St. Thomas student yet. > Novick is very much against the idea of animals being treated like a commodity. In today's competitive world, everything seems to be all about the costs involved in production.

"Everyone seems to just be asking how we can get the prices as low as possible," Novick said. "That's where the sweatshops, overcrowding, and other terrible living and working conditions for animals and people come from." > Novick, on the other hand, isn't as worried about the price of his products as much as how they can help reduce the unfair treatment of laborers and animals around the world. "I want to carry products good for people and animals," he said. "I import my vegetarian shoes from England. I'm not trying to gouge anyone with my prices, I just charge what I have to in order to break even with the shipping costs." > While most non-animal products are made with vinyl, a cheaper material, all of Novick's products are made of micro fiber, a very high-quality tightly-woven fabric. Although it isn't particularly cheap, it is incredibly strong and durable. So although Novick's prices may appear a

bit high at first, they're as low as he can afford to charge for the freely traded, animal-free, high quality products that are offered. > Among Novick's shoes are Blackspot Sneakers. These shoes feature 100% organic hemp uppers, a vegetarian toe and heel, a recycled tire sole, an anti-logo (a "hand-drawn symbol of defiance against corporate cool"), and a hand-painted red "sweet spot" on the toe, "for kicking corporate ass." Other free trade vegan shoes offered include Earth Shoes, Vegetarian Shoes, and Adbusters. > But there is a lot that Fast and Furless has to offer besides shoes. Leather-free wallets, belts, purses, locally made scarves, hard-to-find books, and a vast array of hemp products from The Merry Hempsters including lotion and lip balm. "I also have the best vegan cookies in the whole world," Novick said, referring to cookies from the Sun Flour Baking Company in California.

> Novick is able to provide a letter from each manufacturer, proving that all of his products are free trade, with no sweatshop labor. He is also able to provide very detailed background information about the production of everything in his store. "I want customers to know the stories behind the products they are buying," he said. > Mad? Confused? Either way, you should send a letter to the editor > > > > Peter H > > > > > To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre. >

We live in England, UK, I'd prefer to shop here to avoid import taxes and

postage costs,

but thanks anyway.

, Rita Sorenson <ritasorenson> wrote:

>

> Go to: bestveganstores.com for everything you might want to find that is

vegan. Click on

vegan and then one stop vegan shopping. It has the best selection of vegan stuff

I have

found on the web ;)

>

> herbvalerian <herbvalerian> wrote: My other half and I get footwear

from

vetetarian shoes, ethical wares, freerangers and

> vegan store. He recently got some custom made walking shoes at ALtberg in

Richmond

> http://www.altberg.co.uk

> They charge more for vegan shoes and they say they won't last as long as

leather ones.

> They measure your foot properly and then you have to go and collect them once

they

have

> made them.

>

> --- In

> , peter hurd <swpgh01@t...> wrote:

> >

> > Dont know where this is , but no doubt you will put my ignorance to

rest.............

> > Vegan shoes? New local shop looks to Mac crowd Charlie WhiteStaff Writer

For

> vegans and vegetarians, shoe shopping is not always an easy task. Leather,

glue derived

> from animal products, and fur are just a few things these consumers have to

watch for

> when purchasing a new pair of shoes. Also, most of these same people tend to

cringe

at

> sweatshop labor resulting in huge corporate profit, which is how nearly every

shoe that

> you find in your average footwear outlet is made. Jon Novick's new store on

Snelling

> Avenue is no average footwear outlet.

> > In fact, it's not a footwear outlet at all. Fast and Furless Skinless

Fashion, located

just

> south of Macalester between St. Clair and Jefferson, sells all sorts of

products, from

> cookies and handbags to lotion and tee-shirts, and, of course, shoes. And not

a one of

> them contains any trace of animal products or unfair sweatshop labor.

> > Fast and Furless opened its doors on November 25, which happens to be

Fur-Free

> Friday, an annual event taking place every year after Thanksgiving to protest

the use of

fur

> products. " I originally wanted to open a vegetarian café, " said Novick. " I

used to work at

> the Grille at Mac. But, I soon discovered that I do a much better job at

eating vegan

food

> than actually cooking it. "

> > Novick has had family connections to this community since his

great-grandfather

built

> the place in which he currently lives and runs Fast and Furless back in 1925.

" My

grandpa

> grew up in here. He was an apprentice at a battery repair shop for a while,

then became

a

> mechanic in 1928 when he was 17, " he said. " Now, my Dad is a mechanic next

door. "

> > Novick moved to Los Angeles from 2002 to 2004 after his job at the

Grille. He

worked

> at the Whole Foods in Westwood, near UCLA. During this time, he started

hearing about

> vegan boutiques popping up all over the place. " I thought about how

frustrating it is to

> order vegan shoes online, " he said. " Getting the size right, shipping them

back and

forth,

> it's just a big hassle. It might be easy for a wallet or something, but when

it comes to

> shoes, it's best to be able to try them on in person. "

> > With these ideas, Novick moved back to St. Paul. It took him about

another year to

> really commit to the idea of opening up his own store. But now that he has,

he has no

> regrets. " I'm not only realizing my dream as an entrepreneur, but I'm doing

it without

> producing plastic bottles and such things, " he said. " It's so important to be

a resource

for

> vegans and vegetarians. "

> > When deciding where to locate Fast and Furless, one of the big things

that kept him

> from moving to Minneapolis was the fact that he would be so close to

Macalester at his

> location in St. Paul. " I've felt a connection to the Macalester community for

a while, " he

> said. " I worked at the Grille, and my Dad has been fixing Mac professors'

cars for a

while. "

> > Novick made sure to bring some flyers over to some environmental groups

on

campus

> to help get the word out. " I'm so thrilled whenever I get a Mac student in, "

he said. " I'm

> really impressed with the students and all of their various liberal, forward

thinking

causes. "

> > Novick also mentioned that he did some advertising at St. Catherine's,

Hamline and

St.

> Thomas. He has had enthusiastic students come in from St. Catherine's and

Hamline,

> although nobody has identified themselves as a St. Thomas student yet.

> > Novick is very much against the idea of animals being treated like a

commodity. In

> today's competitive world, everything seems to be all about the costs

involved in

> production. " Everyone seems to just be asking how we can get the prices as

low as

> possible, " Novick said. " That's where the sweatshops, overcrowding, and other

terrible

> living and working conditions for animals and people come from. "

> > Novick, on the other hand, isn't as worried about the price of his

products as much

as

> how they can help reduce the unfair treatment of laborers and animals around

the

world. " I

> want to carry products good for people and animals, " he said. " I import my

vegetarian

> shoes from England. I'm not trying to gouge anyone with my prices, I just

charge what I

> have to in order to break even with the shipping costs. "

> > While most non-animal products are made with vinyl, a cheaper material,

all of

> Novick's products are made of micro fiber, a very high-quality tightly-woven

fabric.

> Although it isn't particularly cheap, it is incredibly strong and durable. So

although

> Novick's prices may appear a bit high at first, they're as low as he can

afford to charge

for

> the freely traded, animal-free, high quality products that are offered.

> > Among Novick's shoes are Blackspot Sneakers. These shoes feature 100%

organic

> hemp uppers, a vegetarian toe and heel, a recycled tire sole, an anti-logo (a

" hand-

drawn

> symbol of defiance against corporate cool " ), and a hand-painted red " sweet

spot " on

the

> toe, " for kicking corporate ass. " Other free trade vegan shoes offered

include Earth

Shoes,

> Vegetarian Shoes, and Adbusters.

> > But there is a lot that Fast and Furless has to offer besides shoes.

Leather-free

wallets,

> belts, purses, locally made scarves, hard-to-find books, and a vast array of

hemp

products

> from The Merry Hempsters including lotion and lip balm. " I also have the best

vegan

> cookies in the whole world, " Novick said, referring to cookies from the Sun

Flour Baking

> Company in California.

> > Novick is able to provide a letter from each manufacturer, proving that

all of his

> products are free trade, with no sweatshop labor. He is also able to provide

very

detailed

> background information about the production of everything in his store. " I

want

customers

> to know the stories behind the products they are buying, " he said.

> > Mad? Confused? Either way, you should send a letter to the editor

> >

> >

> >

> > Peter H

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new

Security

> Centre.

> >

>

To send an email to -

>

>

>

>

I guess that you will be interested in the place I get mine from then, and yes they are in WALES! : http://www.ethicalwares.com/index.htm or you could go to Vegetarian Shoes,in Brighton: http://www.vegetarian-shoes.co.uk/driver.aspx?topic=aboutus The Valley Vegan............. herbvalerian <herbvalerian wrote: We live in England, UK, I'd prefer to shop here to avoid import taxes and postage costs, but thanks anyway. , Rita Sorenson wrote:>> Go to: bestveganstores.com for everything you might want to find that is

vegan. Click on vegan and then one stop vegan shopping. It has the best selection of vegan stuff I have found on the web ;)> > herbvalerian wrote: My other half and I get footwear from vetetarian shoes, ethical wares, freerangers and > vegan store. He recently got some custom made walking shoes at ALtberg in Richmond > http://www.altberg.co.uk> They charge more for vegan shoes and they say they won't last as long as leather ones.> They measure your foot properly and then you have to go and collect them once they have > made them.> > > , peter hurd wrote:> >> > Dont know where this is , but no doubt you will put my ignorance to rest.............> > Vegan shoes? New local shop looks to Mac crowd Charlie WhiteStaff Writer For > vegans and vegetarians, shoe shopping is not always an easy task.

Leather, glue derived > from animal products, and fur are just a few things these consumers have to watch for > when purchasing a new pair of shoes. Also, most of these same people tend to cringe at > sweatshop labor resulting in huge corporate profit, which is how nearly every shoe that > you find in your average footwear outlet is made. Jon Novick's new store on Snelling > Avenue is no average footwear outlet.> > In fact, it's not a footwear outlet at all. Fast and Furless Skinless Fashion, located just > south of Macalester between St. Clair and Jefferson, sells all sorts of products, from > cookies and handbags to lotion and tee-shirts, and, of course, shoes. And not a one of > them contains any trace of animal products or unfair sweatshop labor.> > Fast and Furless opened its doors on November 25, which happens to be Fur-Free > Friday, an annual event taking place every year after

Thanksgiving to protest the use of fur > products. "I originally wanted to open a vegetarian café," said Novick. "I used to work at > the Grille at Mac. But, I soon discovered that I do a much better job at eating vegan food > than actually cooking it."> > Novick has had family connections to this community since his great-grandfather built > the place in which he currently lives and runs Fast and Furless back in 1925. "My grandpa > grew up in here. He was an apprentice at a battery repair shop for a while, then became a > mechanic in 1928 when he was 17," he said. "Now, my Dad is a mechanic next door."> > Novick moved to Los Angeles from 2002 to 2004 after his job at the Grille. He worked > at the Whole Foods in Westwood, near UCLA. During this time, he started hearing about > vegan boutiques popping up all over the place. "I thought about how frustrating it is to > order

vegan shoes online," he said. "Getting the size right, shipping them back and forth, > it's just a big hassle. It might be easy for a wallet or something, but when it comes to > shoes, it's best to be able to try them on in person."> > With these ideas, Novick moved back to St. Paul. It took him about another year to > really commit to the idea of opening up his own store. But now that he has, he has no > regrets. "I'm not only realizing my dream as an entrepreneur, but I'm doing it without > producing plastic bottles and such things," he said. "It's so important to be a resource for > vegans and vegetarians."> > When deciding where to locate Fast and Furless, one of the big things that kept him > from moving to Minneapolis was the fact that he would be so close to Macalester at his > location in St. Paul. "I've felt a connection to the Macalester community for a while," he > said. "I worked

at the Grille, and my Dad has been fixing Mac professors' cars for a while."> > Novick made sure to bring some flyers over to some environmental groups on campus > to help get the word out. "I'm so thrilled whenever I get a Mac student in," he said. "I'm > really impressed with the students and all of their various liberal, forward thinking causes."> > Novick also mentioned that he did some advertising at St. Catherine's, Hamline and St. > Thomas. He has had enthusiastic students come in from St. Catherine's and Hamline, > although nobody has identified themselves as a St. Thomas student yet.> > Novick is very much against the idea of animals being treated like a commodity. In > today's competitive world, everything seems to be all about the costs involved in > production. "Everyone seems to just be asking how we can get the prices as low as > possible," Novick said. "That's where the

sweatshops, overcrowding, and other terrible > living and working conditions for animals and people come from."> > Novick, on the other hand, isn't as worried about the price of his products as much as > how they can help reduce the unfair treatment of laborers and animals around the world. "I > want to carry products good for people and animals," he said. "I import my vegetarian > shoes from England. I'm not trying to gouge anyone with my prices, I just charge what I > have to in order to break even with the shipping costs."> > While most non-animal products are made with vinyl, a cheaper material, all of > Novick's products are made of micro fiber, a very high-quality tightly-woven fabric. > Although it isn't particularly cheap, it is incredibly strong and durable. So although > Novick's prices may appear a bit high at first, they're as low as he can afford to charge for > the freely

traded, animal-free, high quality products that are offered.> > Among Novick's shoes are Blackspot Sneakers. These shoes feature 100% organic > hemp uppers, a vegetarian toe and heel, a recycled tire sole, an anti-logo (a "hand-drawn > symbol of defiance against corporate cool"), and a hand-painted red "sweet spot" on the > toe, "for kicking corporate ass." Other free trade vegan shoes offered include Earth Shoes, > Vegetarian Shoes, and Adbusters.> > But there is a lot that Fast and Furless has to offer besides shoes. Leather-free wallets, > belts, purses, locally made scarves, hard-to-find books, and a vast array of hemp products > from The Merry Hempsters including lotion and lip balm. "I also have the best vegan > cookies in the whole world," Novick said, referring to cookies from the Sun Flour Baking > Company in California.> > Novick is able to provide a letter from each

manufacturer, proving that all of his > products are free trade, with no sweatshop labor. He is also able to provide very detailed > background information about the production of everything in his store. "I want customers > to know the stories behind the products they are buying," he said. > > Mad? Confused? Either way, you should send a letter to the editor> > > > > > > > Peter H > > > > > > > > > > To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security > Centre.> >> > > > > > > > To send an email to - > > > >

heh heh they were in my list without the wwws!

I just got some stuff from ethical wares yesterday. They are a nice company. I

will buy from

them even stuff I could get at the hiking shop in town as I prefer to support a

vegan

company which offers such a good service.

I got my hiking boots from them a few years back, they have taken me up the

cheviots and

around Scotland and many walks in Yorkshire, Tyne and Wear, County Durham, and

Northumberland. http://www.ethicalwares.com/weal.htm

For everyday wear I wear the kalahari

http://www.vegetarian-shoes.co.uk/pc-89-10-

kalahari-shoe-

black.aspx

They are the 3rd pair I have bought as they are so good, but they do wear out at

the back

of the lining and all the stuffing comes out.

yes they are mens but I have funny feet and I cannot wear most womens shoes.

They kill

my feet. I am philosophcally opposed to high heels as well. They are a modenn

version of

foot binding.

I also got some slip ons from freerangers for more formal wear and some winter

boots

from veganstore

http://www.veganstore.co.uk/slouch_boot.html

, peter hurd <swpgh01@t...>

wrote:

>

> I guess that you will be interested in the place I get mine from then, and yes

they are in

WALES! :

> http://www.ethicalwares.com/index.htm

>

> or you could go to Vegetarian Shoes,in Brighton:

> http://www.vegetarian-shoes.co.uk/driver.aspx?topic=aboutus

>

> The Valley Vegan.............

>

>

>

> herbvalerian <herbvalerian> wrote:

> We live in England, UK, I'd prefer to shop here to avoid import taxes and

postage costs,

> but thanks anyway.

>

> , Rita Sorenson wrote:

> >

> > Go to: bestveganstores.com for everything you might want to find that is

vegan. Click

on

> vegan and then one stop vegan shopping. It has the best selection of vegan

stuff I have

> found on the web ;)

> >

> > herbvalerian wrote: My other half and I get footwear from

> vetetarian shoes, ethical wares, freerangers and

> > vegan store. He recently got some custom made walking shoes at ALtberg in

Richmond

> > http://www.altberg.co.uk

> > They charge more for vegan shoes and they say they won't last as long as

leather

ones.

> > They measure your foot properly and then you have to go and collect them

once they

> have

> > made them.

> >

> > --- In

> > , peter hurd wrote:

> > >

> > > Dont know where this is , but no doubt you will put my ignorance to

rest.............

> > > Vegan shoes? New local shop looks to Mac crowd Charlie WhiteStaff Writer

For

> > vegans and vegetarians, shoe shopping is not always an easy task. Leather,

glue

derived

> > from animal products, and fur are just a few things these consumers have to

watch

for

> > when purchasing a new pair of shoes. Also, most of these same people tend to

cringe

> at

> > sweatshop labor resulting in huge corporate profit, which is how nearly

every shoe

that

> > you find in your average footwear outlet is made. Jon Novick's new store on

Snelling

> > Avenue is no average footwear outlet.

> > > In fact, it's not a footwear outlet at all. Fast and Furless Skinless

Fashion, located

> just

> > south of Macalester between St. Clair and Jefferson, sells all sorts of

products, from

> > cookies and handbags to lotion and tee-shirts, and, of course, shoes. And

not a one

of

> > them contains any trace of animal products or unfair sweatshop labor.

> > > Fast and Furless opened its doors on November 25, which happens to be

Fur-Free

> > Friday, an annual event taking place every year after Thanksgiving to

protest the use

of

> fur

> > products. " I originally wanted to open a vegetarian café, " said Novick. " I

used to work

at

> > the Grille at Mac. But, I soon discovered that I do a much better job at

eating vegan

> food

> > than actually cooking it. "

> > > Novick has had family connections to this community since his

great-grandfather

> built

> > the place in which he currently lives and runs Fast and Furless back in

1925. " My

> grandpa

> > grew up in here. He was an apprentice at a battery repair shop for a while,

then

became

> a

> > mechanic in 1928 when he was 17, " he said. " Now, my Dad is a mechanic next

door. "

> > > Novick moved to Los Angeles from 2002 to 2004 after his job at the Grille.

He

> worked

> > at the Whole Foods in Westwood, near UCLA. During this time, he started

hearing

about

> > vegan boutiques popping up all over the place. " I thought about how

frustrating it is

to

> > order vegan shoes online, " he said. " Getting the size right, shipping them

back and

> forth,

> > it's just a big hassle. It might be easy for a wallet or something, but when

it comes to

> > shoes, it's best to be able to try them on in person. "

> > > With these ideas, Novick moved back to St. Paul. It took him about another

year to

> > really commit to the idea of opening up his own store. But now that he has,

he has no

> > regrets. " I'm not only realizing my dream as an entrepreneur, but I'm doing

it without

> > producing plastic bottles and such things, " he said. " It's so important to

be a resource

> for

> > vegans and vegetarians. "

> > > When deciding where to locate Fast and Furless, one of the big things that

kept him

> > from moving to Minneapolis was the fact that he would be so close to

Macalester at

his

> > location in St. Paul. " I've felt a connection to the Macalester community

for a while, " he

> > said. " I worked at the Grille, and my Dad has been fixing Mac professors'

cars for a

> while. "

> > > Novick made sure to bring some flyers over to some environmental groups on

> campus

> > to help get the word out. " I'm so thrilled whenever I get a Mac student in, "

he said.

" I'm

> > really impressed with the students and all of their various liberal, forward

thinking

> causes. "

> > > Novick also mentioned that he did some advertising at St. Catherine's,

Hamline and

> St.

> > Thomas. He has had enthusiastic students come in from St. Catherine's and

Hamline,

> > although nobody has identified themselves as a St. Thomas student yet.

> > > Novick is very much against the idea of animals being treated like a

commodity. In

> > today's competitive world, everything seems to be all about the costs

involved in

> > production. " Everyone seems to just be asking how we can get the prices as

low as

> > possible, " Novick said. " That's where the sweatshops, overcrowding, and

other terrible

> > living and working conditions for animals and people come from. "

> > > Novick, on the other hand, isn't as worried about the price of his

products as much

> as

> > how they can help reduce the unfair treatment of laborers and animals around

the

> world. " I

> > want to carry products good for people and animals, " he said. " I import my

vegetarian

> > shoes from England. I'm not trying to gouge anyone with my prices, I just

charge what

I

> > have to in order to break even with the shipping costs. "

> > > While most non-animal products are made with vinyl, a cheaper material,

all of

> > Novick's products are made of micro fiber, a very high-quality tightly-woven

fabric.

> > Although it isn't particularly cheap, it is incredibly strong and durable.

So although

> > Novick's prices may appear a bit high at first, they're as low as he can

afford to charge

> for

> > the freely traded, animal-free, high quality products that are offered.

> > > Among Novick's shoes are Blackspot Sneakers. These shoes feature 100%

organic

> > hemp uppers, a vegetarian toe and heel, a recycled tire sole, an anti-logo

(a " hand-

> drawn

> > symbol of defiance against corporate cool " ), and a hand-painted red " sweet

spot " on

> the

> > toe, " for kicking corporate ass. " Other free trade vegan shoes offered

include Earth

> Shoes,

> > Vegetarian Shoes, and Adbusters.

> > > But there is a lot that Fast and Furless has to offer besides shoes.

Leather-free

> wallets,

> > belts, purses, locally made scarves, hard-to-find books, and a vast array of

hemp

> products

> > from The Merry Hempsters including lotion and lip balm. " I also have the

best vegan

> > cookies in the whole world, " Novick said, referring to cookies from the Sun

Flour

Baking

> > Company in California.

> > > Novick is able to provide a letter from each manufacturer, proving that

all of his

> > products are free trade, with no sweatshop labor. He is also able to provide

very

> detailed

> > background information about the production of everything in his store. " I

want

> customers

> > to know the stories behind the products they are buying, " he said.

> > > Mad? Confused? Either way, you should send a letter to the editor

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Peter H

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new

Security

> > Centre.