IndiaDivine.org

OT/moss on shingles

Rate this topic

Guest guest

We have put an offer in on a house and there is moss on the shingles on the roof. Everything that we have seen in the stores to get it off is ghastly...loaded with toxins, poisons...killer stuff with horrendous warnings. Does anyone know a way to get the moss off without this stuff? Our whole house inspection is going to include the moss, and we don't want them to require it be removed by the owner if they are going to use such environmentally damaging removal stuff.

linda

"Whatever you do will be insignificant and it is very important that you do it."Mohandas Gandhi

linda's Growing Stitchery Projects: womyn47

wot sorta shingles are they, wood er tar?

i assume they aren't clay, as most places that have clay tiles don't have moss problems

and..i'm gonna assume it is moss, and not algae....

if its wood shake....high pressure hose...

if its tar/combosite..hose won't work as you'll just blow the lil pebbly bits off...

you can go on up and literally take a stiff broom and sweep em off

heat also works..burn em off...

the "least" damaging of the chemicals to use are potassium salts...

linda Dec 20, 2005 5:34 PM OT/moss on shingles

We have put an offer in on a house and there is moss on the shingles on the roof. Everything that we have seen in the stores to get it off is ghastly...loaded with toxins, poisons...killer stuff with horrendous warnings. Does anyone know a way to get the moss off without this stuff? Our whole house inspection is going to include the moss, and we don't want them to require it be removed by the owner if they are going to use such environmentally damaging removal stuff.

linda

"Whatever you do will be insignificant and it is very important that you do it."Mohandas Gandhi

To send an email to -

The shingles are composite. And it is definitely moss not algae. I will look up the potassium salts. The broom thing someone else will have to do. LOL I would slide right on off. We live in a very, very wet area. It also may have to wait until spring if the lender doesn't stipulate that it must be done immediately. Awfully slippery up there. We have had freezing rain the last few days. Today it actually got warmer and melted things, but don't have a clue as to how long that will last. I had wood shakes on our house on Whidbey Island and the crows kept that clean as a whistle...a little noisy and they had to do it at dawn of course. Crows don't seem to be impressed with composite.

linda

-

fraggle

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 6:06 PM

Re: OT/moss on shingles

i assume they aren't clay, as most places that have clay tiles don't have moss problems

if its tar/combosite..hose won't work as you'll just blow the lil pebbly bits off...

linda

To send an email to -

well..after you move in, you might want to consider zinc or copper strips for the roof

you could get someone else to go up on the roof..get a contractor? linda Dec 20, 2005 6:16 PM Re: OT/moss on shingles

The shingles are composite. And it is definitely moss not algae. I will look up the potassium salts. The broom thing someone else will have to do. LOL I would slide right on off. We live in a very, very wet area. It also may have to wait until spring if the lender doesn't stipulate that it must be done immediately. Awfully slippery up there. We have had freezing rain the last few days. Today it actually got warmer and melted things, but don't have a clue as to how long that will last. I had wood shakes on our house on Whidbey Island and the crows kept that clean as a whistle...a little noisy and they had to do it at dawn of course. Crows don't seem to be impressed with composite.

linda

-

fraggle

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 6:06 PM

linda

To send an email to -

Are shingles roof tiles?, moss is usually easy to remove with a blade or somesuch? The Valley Vegan.............linda <lindai81 wrote: We have put an offer in on a house and there is moss on the shingles on the roof. Everything that we have seen in the stores to get it off is ghastly...loaded with toxins, poisons...killer stuff with horrendous warnings. Does anyone know a way to get the moss off without this stuff? Our whole house inspection is going to include the moss, and we don't want them to require it be removed by the owner if they are going to use such environmentally damaging removal stuff. linda "Whatever you do will be

insignificant and it is very important that you do it."Mohandas Gandhi linda's Growing Stitchery Projects: womyn47 Peter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.

No, the shingles are composite other wise yes, a glade or whatever would be great to remove it...and if they were the tiles probably wouldn't have moss since the ones here anyway are slippery and don't have moss growing on them. Pacific Northwest is well known for moss...

linda

-

peter hurd

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 8:32 AM

Are shingles roof tiles?, moss is usually easy to remove with a blade or somesuch?

The Valley Vegan.............linda <lindai81 wrote:

linda

Peter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.