IndiaDivine.org

National Health Care

Rate this topic

Guest guest

National health care debates have raged here for many years. Even the completely destitute are having a difficult time getting treatment. So, there is no real preventative health care services for those without insurance. One of the arguments used here is that national health care doesn't work and look at the countries that have it. Now you have supported that...three years for by-pass surgery? Here of course people might never get it unless they can survive until they are eligible for Medicare. (65 I think) You wouldn't get hip replacements. There are exceptions of course. I have a friend that was literally dying from clogged arteries, but she had no health insurance and none of the doctors or hospital would treat her just saying that she wasn't eligible....hah. As soon as she was eligible for medicare her status suddenly changed...what she was led to believe was that medically/health wise she wasn't eligible for the surgery. It wasn't that, it was money. The cost of medical care has skyrocketed over the last 20-30 years. However, I have another friend that also doesn't have health insurance and started bleeding profusely. The hospital admitted her on an emergency basis and performed the surgery and then ended up writing it all off. The doctors didn't however. They need their money for their lifestyles.

What does the National Health Insurance cost and if a person can't pay for it what happens?

linda

"Whatever you do will be insignificant and it is very important that you do it."Mohandas Gandhi

linda's Growing Stitchery Projects: womyn47

-

Peter

Hi Nikki> Perhaps you make more $ than we do? And I know that your Health Care> does not cost what it costs us. But to be honest, I do not know all> the specifics. So I call in my next witness.Actually, our healthcare does cost - we have to pay tax and NationalInsurance.... and we still get a ropy health service where people have towait 3 years for heart bypass operations, and 5 years for hip replacements.We have the highest tax burden in Europe, and the least percentage of ourearnings as "disposable income" of any country in the "first" world.

No bad problems I hope Peter.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 4:19 PM

Re: National Health Care

I just came back from seeing a consultant, after having to pay because the hospital told me I would have to wait for at least 6 months on the NHS. Luckily I am on a cash back health scheme, so I will be able to reclaim the costs.

The sad thing is , that the consultatnt I paid to see was the same one that I am on the 6 month+ waiting list to see!. When I challenged him on this, he laughed and said the hospital / health commitee were trying to stop him seeing so many patients?!, and that the waiting list should not be so long?

125 quid for 10 minutes? nice work if you can get it.

He said that he was going to arrange for the hospital to get me refered to him for treatment? confusing sad state of affairs isnt it.

The Valley Vegan................linda <lindai81 wrote:

National health care debates have raged here for many years. Even the completely destitute are having a difficult time getting treatment. So, there is no real preventative health care services for those without insurance. One of the arguments used here is that national health care doesn't work and look at the countries that have it. Now you have supported that...three years for by-pass surgery? Here of course people might never get it unless they can survive until they are eligible for Medicare. (65 I think) You wouldn't get hip replacements. There are exceptions of course. I have a friend that was literally dying from clogged arteries, but she had no health insurance and none of the doctors or hospital would treat her just saying that she wasn't eligible....hah. As soon as she was eligible for medicare her status suddenly changed...what she was led to believe was that medically/health wise she wasn't eligible for the surgery. It wasn't that, it was money. The cost of medical care has skyrocketed over the last 20-30 years. However, I have another friend that also doesn't have health insurance and started bleeding profusely. The hospital admitted her on an emergency basis and performed the surgery and then ended up writing it all off. The doctors didn't however. They need their money for their lifestyles.

What does the National Health Insurance cost and if a person can't pay for it what happens?

linda

"Whatever you do will be insignificant and it is very important that you do it."Mohandas Gandhi

linda's Growing Stitchery Projects: womyn47

-

Peter

Hi Nikki> Perhaps you make more $ than we do? And I know that your Health Care> does not cost what it costs us. But to be honest, I do not know all> the specifics. So I call in my next witness.Actually, our healthcare does cost - we have to pay tax and NationalInsurance.... and we still get a ropy health service where people have towait 3 years for heart bypass operations, and 5 years for hip replacements.We have the highest tax burden in Europe, and the least percentage of ourearnings as "disposable income" of any country in the "first" world.

Peter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.

Hi Linda

> What does the National Health Insurance cost and if a person can't pay for it what happens?

The "cost" is taken in the form of a tax - National Insurance. It's taken out of people's wages, and there's some hugely complex way to work out how much it is. In theory it covers both National Health Service and a state pension (when I started working, 10 years ago, I was told that when I retire at 65, my "state pension" would amount to a total of £1.54 per week!)

You only pay for it once you earn a certain amount (I think it's about £160 per week). Everyone is covered by it - so if someone who doesn't earn enough to pay needs the service, they can still use it... and in that respect, it is totaly fair.... everyone will have to wait the same length of time for a particular operation under the NHS. The problem occurs because the rich can afford private health care.... unfortunately, private health care firms hire services from the NHS, effectively meaning that the rich get bumped up the waiting lists, even though they will be operated on by the same people with exactly the same equipment... so, ultimately, we are paying an unavoidable tax in order to subsidise rich people getting operations quicker!

BB

Peter

I`ll live. The Valley Vegan..............jo <jo.heartwork wrote: No bad problems I hope Peter. Jo - peter hurd Wednesday, December 21, 2005 4:19 PM Re: National Health Care I just came back from seeing a consultant, after having to pay because the hospital told me I would have to wait for at least 6 months on the NHS. Luckily I am on a cash back health scheme, so I will be able to reclaim the costs. The sad thing is , that the consultatnt I paid to see was the same one that I am on the 6 month+ waiting list to see!. When I challenged him on this, he laughed and said the hospital / health commitee were trying to stop him seeing so many patients?!, and that the waiting list should not be so long? 125 quid for 10 minutes? nice work if you can get it. He said that he was going to arrange for the hospital to get me refered to him for treatment? confusing sad state of affairs isnt it. The Valley

Vegan................linda <lindai81 wrote: National health care debates have raged here for many years. Even the completely destitute are having a difficult time getting treatment. So, there is no real preventative health care services for those without insurance. One of the arguments used here is that national health care doesn't work and look at the countries that have it. Now you have supported that...three years for by-pass surgery? Here of course people might never get it unless they can survive until they are eligible for Medicare. (65 I think) You wouldn't get hip replacements. There are exceptions of course. I have a friend that was literally dying from clogged arteries, but she had no health insurance and none of the doctors

or hospital would treat her just saying that she wasn't eligible....hah. As soon as she was eligible for medicare her status suddenly changed...what she was led to believe was that medically/health wise she wasn't eligible for the surgery. It wasn't that, it was money. The cost of medical care has skyrocketed over the last 20-30 years. However, I have another friend that also doesn't have health insurance and started bleeding profusely. The hospital admitted her on an emergency basis and performed the surgery and then ended up writing it all off. The doctors didn't however. They need their money for their lifestyles. What does the National Health Insurance cost and if a person can't pay for it what happens? linda "Whatever you do will be insignificant and it is very important that you do it."Mohandas

Gandhi linda's Growing Stitchery Projects: womyn47 - Peter Hi Nikki> Perhaps you make more $ than we do? And I know that your Health Care> does not cost what it costs us. But to be honest, I do not know all> the specifics. So I call in my next witness.Actually, our healthcare does cost - we have to pay tax and NationalInsurance.... and we still get a ropy health service where people have towait 3 years

for heart bypass operations, and 5 years for hip replacements.We have the highest tax burden in Europe, and the least percentage of ourearnings as "disposable income" of any country in the "first" world. Peter H To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.

Hi Peter

> Unfortunately as I have learned we have a two tier system, with consultants throwing waiting lists at you, and at the same

> time offering to see you when you like as long as you pay. Sucks. Where have the ideals of the NHS gone now?

They were brutally hacked to death by Thatcherism....

BB

Peter