IndiaDivine.org

spring equinox

Rate this topic

Guest guest

ack

well...ok...

do ya'll over there have an "official" first day of spring? jo Dec 22, 2005 2:24 PM Re: merry

That's the Equinox, called the Spring Equinox because it is in the Spring, not because it starts it.

Jo

-

fraggle

Thursday, December 22, 2005 8:04 PM

Re: merry

yer right..march 21st....

peter hurd Dec 22, 2005 12:02 PM Re: merry

I always thought that the first day of spring was 20th of March? doo I need to reset my watch?

The Valley Vegan.................Peter <metalscarab wrote:

Hi Fraggle> dunno about over thar..but..late january seems pretty mid winter to me> winter is december january and feb, crossing into march....(it generallysnows at least twice in the new england in march)OK, let's take this logically then.... If winter doesn't start untilDecember, then autumn must go on to December (or are you proposing thatthere's a fifth season?)... when did you last see autumn in December? Mindyou, I suppose you live in California, where everything is a bit odd!In the UK, it gets wintry at around the start of November. Spring startsaround early February when the early plants start to flower - that sticksmidwinter pretty much mid December. And since we were celebrating midwinterin December (St Lucy's Day - 13th December before the 1752) in Britain forat least 1000 years before Europeans marched across to America, I think ourmidwinter has some traditional claim of accuracy.BBPeter

I don't think there is a state one, but I wouldn't necessarily trust the state anyway. As you know th Equinox is just the time of equal day and night which occurs midway between midwinter and midsummer, and midsummer and midwinter.

Jo

-

fraggle

Thursday, December 22, 2005 10:32 PM

Re: spring equinox

ack

well...ok...

do ya'll over there have an "official" first day of spring? jo Dec 22, 2005 2:24 PM Re: merry

That's the Equinox, called the Spring Equinox because it is in the Spring, not because it starts it.

Jo

-

fraggle

I always thought that the first day of spring was 20th of March? doo I need to reset my watch?

Hi Fraggle> dunno about over thar..but..late january seems pretty mid winter to me> winter is december january and feb, crossing into march....(it generallysnows at least twice in the new england in march)OK, let's take this logically then.... If winter doesn't start untilDecember, then autumn must go on to December (or are you proposing thatthere's a fifth season?)... when did you last see autumn in December? Mindyou, I suppose you live in California, where everything is a bit odd!In the UK, it gets wintry at around the start of November. Spring startsaround early February when the early plants start to flower - that sticksmidwinter pretty much mid December. And since we were celebrating midwinterin December (St Lucy's Day - 13th December before the 1752) in Britain forat least 1000 years before Europeans marched across to America, I think ourmidwinter has some traditional claim of accuracy.BBPeter

As I said earlier, I thought it was the day before ( March 20th) The Valley Vegan...............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: ack well...ok... do ya'll over there have an "official" first day of spring? jo Dec 22, 2005 2:24 PM Re: merry That's the Equinox, called the Spring Equinox because it is in the Spring, not because it

starts it. Jo - fraggle Thursday, December 22, 2005 8:04 PM Re: merry yer right..march 21st.... peter hurd Dec 22, 2005 12:02 PM

Re: merry I always thought that the first day of spring was 20th of March? doo I need to reset my watch? The Valley Vegan.................Peter <metalscarab wrote: Hi Fraggle> dunno about over thar..but..late january seems pretty mid winter to me> winter is december january and feb, crossing into march....(it generallysnows at least twice in the new england in march)OK, let's take this logically then.... If winter doesn't start untilDecember, then autumn must go on to December (or are you proposing thatthere's a fifth season?)... when did you last see autumn in December? Mindyou,

I suppose you live in California, where everything is a bit odd!In the UK, it gets wintry at around the start of November. Spring startsaround early February when the early plants start to flower - that sticksmidwinter pretty much mid December. And since we were celebrating midwinterin December (St Lucy's Day - 13th December before the 1752) in Britain forat least 1000 years before Europeans marched across to America, I think ourmidwinter has some traditional claim of accuracy.BBPeter

So when do you think the first days of each season are, and why?

Jo

-

peter hurd

Thursday, December 22, 2005 10:39 PM

As I said earlier, I thought it was the day before ( March 20th)

The Valley Vegan...............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

ack

well...ok...

Jo

-

fraggle

see

thats were we are passing in the nite and not understanding one another

here, we have "official" starts to all 4 seasons..

every newscast on whichever ever season it is will crow "and today at so -so time it is official winter..funny as its sunny and 73 degrees out, huh joan!"

jo Dec 22, 2005 2:38 PM Re: spring equinox

I don't think there is a state one, but I wouldn't necessarily trust the state anyway. As you know th Equinox is just the time of equal day and night which occurs midway between midwinter and midsummer, and midsummer and midwinter.

Jo

-

fraggle

Thursday, December 22, 2005 10:32 PM

ack

well...ok...

Jo

-

fraggle

Just the ten minutes please but we haven't had it yet.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Thursday, December 22, 2005 10:42 PM

Did you pay for the 10 minute or the full 1 hour argument?

The Valley Vegan................jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

So when do you think the first days of each season are, and why?

Jo

-

peter hurd

Thursday, December 22, 2005 10:39 PM

As I said earlier, I thought it was the day before ( March 20th)

The Valley Vegan...............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

ack

well...ok...

Jo

-

fraggle

Oh yes we have................ The Valley Vegan...................jo <jo.heartwork wrote: Just the ten minutes please but we haven't had it yet. Jo - peter hurd Thursday, December 22, 2005 10:42 PM Re: spring equinox Did you pay for the 10 minute or the full 1 hour argument? The Valley Vegan................jo <jo.heartwork wrote: So when do you think the first days of each season are, and why? Jo - peter hurd Thursday, December 22, 2005 10:39 PM Re: spring equinox As I said earlier, I thought it was the day before ( March 20th) The Valley Vegan...............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: ack well...ok... do ya'll over there have an "official" first day of spring? jo Dec 22, 2005 2:24 PM Re: merry That's the Equinox, called the Spring Equinox because it is in the Spring, not because it starts it. Jo -

fraggle Thursday, December 22, 2005 8:04 PM Re: merry yer right..march 21st.... peter hurd Dec 22, 2005 12:02 PM Re: merry I always thought that the first day of spring was 20th of March? doo I need to reset my watch? The Valley

Vegan.................Peter <metalscarab wrote: Hi Fraggle> dunno about over thar..but..late january seems pretty mid winter to me> winter is december january and feb, crossing into march....(it generallysnows at least twice in the new england in march)OK, let's take this logically then.... If winter doesn't start untilDecember, then autumn must go on to December (or are you proposing thatthere's a fifth season?)... when did you last see autumn in December? Mindyou, I suppose you live in California, where everything is a bit odd!In the UK, it gets wintry at around the start of November. Spring startsaround early February when the early plants start to flower - that sticksmidwinter pretty much mid December. And since we were celebrating

midwinterin December (St Lucy's Day - 13th December before the 1752) in Britain forat least 1000 years before Europeans marched across to America, I think ourmidwinter has some traditional claim of accuracy.BBPeter