IndiaDivine.org

Yule memories: Happy Orthodox Christmas

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Sleeping to 11:30! geez Louise, I dont think that I have ever stayed in bed that late ( I was up at 05:15 this morning to get ready to go to work) You can tell you have no kids in the house. I am such a light sleeper and my wife snores like a chainsaw that even on my one day off a week I am usually up around 07:30 - 08:00. Put all our triming away last weekend ( hooray - bah humbug ) Incidentally, isnt it Christmas today for Orthadox Christians? I understand that they cover a tree with honey and burn it? The Valley Vegan...............jo <jo.heartwork wrote: I was shocked to wake up this morning and find it was 11.30!!! I knew I was suffering from going back to work, but

didn't think I needed that much extra sleep. We set about taking down our Yule decorations, and as I took the ornaments off the tree and wrapped them in tissue to put away, I realised that almost all the ornaments have special sentimental value. There are two fine glass ornaments, now tarnished, a Santa Claus and a fir tree which belonged to my grandmother, who died in 1958, an ornament made from cardboard, crepe paper and a piece of sparkly paper, that my daughter made when she was 3, a lino cut of a Yule tree that Peter made when he was about 6, some small wooden ornaments which my brother bought when he lived in Germany - he died in 2001. There is a small mandolin type instrument which signifies my children's musical talents, a little flox robin which my budgie used to like, and many more. I have a 'smoking man' (for use with incense cones) which my mum and dad gave me as a souvenier from their German holiday. My mum died in 1973 and my dad in 1988. They are all packed away for another year - but next year I will remember again :-) BBJo Peter H

Play Santa's Celebrity Xmas Party, an exclusive game from

It's the only time I have ever slept that late. I had kids in the house one time, so have done my share of early mornings, disturbed nights.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Saturday, January 07, 2006 4:50 PM

Re: Yule memories: Happy Orthodox Christmas

Sleeping to 11:30! geez Louise, I dont think that I have ever stayed in bed that late ( I was up at 05:15 this morning to get ready to go to work) You can tell you have no kids in the house. I am such a light sleeper and my wife snores like a chainsaw that even on my one day off a week I am usually up around 07:30 - 08:00.

Put all our triming away last weekend ( hooray - bah humbug )

Incidentally, isnt it Christmas today for Orthadox Christians? I understand that they cover a tree with honey and burn it?

The Valley Vegan...............jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

I was shocked to wake up this morning and find it was 11.30!!! I knew I was suffering from going back to work, but didn't think I needed that much extra sleep.

We set about taking down our Yule decorations, and as I took the ornaments off the tree and wrapped them in tissue to put away, I realised that almost all the ornaments have special sentimental value. There are two fine glass ornaments, now tarnished, a Santa Claus and a fir tree which belonged to my grandmother, who died in 1958, an ornament made from cardboard, crepe paper and a piece of sparkly paper, that my daughter made when she was 3, a lino cut of a Yule tree that Peter made when he was about 6, some small wooden ornaments which my brother bought when he lived in Germany - he died in 2001. There is a small mandolin type instrument which signifies my children's musical talents, a little flox robin which my budgie used to like, and many more.

I have a 'smoking man' (for use with incense cones) which my mum and dad gave me as a souvenier from their German holiday. My mum died in 1973 and my dad in 1988.

They are all packed away for another year - but next year I will remember again :-)

BBJo

Peter H

Play Santa's Celebrity Xmas Party, an exclusive game from

i've never heard of the burning a tree with honey,

that's interesting.

i know that in some parts of catholic latin america,

it was three kings day january 6, it is when they belive

that the three kings gave gifts to baby jesus.

children don't get gifts on the 25th, instead the put

their shoes out and find little presents in the morning inside them.

, peter hurd <swpgh01@t...> wrote:

>

> Sleeping to 11:30! geez Louise, I dont think that I have ever stayed

in bed that late ( I was up at 05:15 this morning to get ready to go

to work) You can tell you have no kids in the house. I am such a light

sleeper and my wife snores like a chainsaw that even on my one day off

a week I am usually up around 07:30 - 08:00.

> Put all our triming away last weekend ( hooray - bah humbug )

> Incidentally, isnt it Christmas today for Orthadox Christians? I

understand that they cover a tree with honey and burn it?

>

> The Valley Vegan...............

>

> jo <jo.heartwork@g...> wrote:

> I was shocked to wake up this morning and find it was

11.30!!! I knew I was suffering from going back to work, but didn't

think I needed that much extra sleep.

>

> We set about taking down our Yule decorations, and as I took the

ornaments off the tree and wrapped them in tissue to put away, I

realised that almost all the ornaments have special sentimental value.

There are two fine glass ornaments, now tarnished, a Santa Claus and

a fir tree which belonged to my grandmother, who died in 1958, an

ornament made from cardboard, crepe paper and a piece of sparkly

paper, that my daughter made when she was 3, a lino cut of a Yule tree th

After 70 years in the wilderness, the rhythms and festivals of the Eastern Rite and Orthodox churches are reclaiming their place at the heart of the culture and life of Russia, Ukraine, and elsewhere. Today, most Eastern Rite and some Orthodox churches use the Gregorian Calendar to celebrate fixed feasts like Christmas, using the Julian Calendar only for Easter and moveable feasts. But the Russian Orthodox Church -- whose followers are spread all over Central and Eastern Europe and beyond -- together with the Eastern Rite Church and the Orthodox communities of Jerusalem, Mount Athos, Georgia, and Serbia, continue to celebrate Christmas old style -- on 7 January. Traditions In the Eastern tradition, Christmas is preceded by a 40-day fast, beginning on 15 November -- and only ended on the evening of Christmas Eve with the appearance of the first star. Traditionally, in

the meal that follows, no meat is served -- while the centerpiece of the occasion is Kutya, a sort of porridge made of grains to symbolize hope, honey for happiness and poppy seeds for peace. Curiously, one of the most traditional Russian Orthodox communities is in Alaska in the United States, where the descendants of the Russians who settled there over 200 years ago still observe Christmas on 7 January. They have maintained the custom of "starring," which has its origins in Ukraine. Groups of villagers go from house to house bearing a decorated star and singing "kolyadki," or Christmas carols. Grandfather Frost In Russia, however, Christmas, whether of the Gregorian or the Julian variety, plays a secondary role in the popular imagination to the celebration of New Year. And Father Christmas, Santa Claus or Saint Nicholas have yet to make a comeback against Ded Moroz, or Grandfather Frost, and Snegurochka, the

beguiling snow queen who hands out his gifts. The dazzling duo who now dominate the Russian festive season ousted Santa Claus when the Bolsheviks began their clampdown on religion. Yet while Ded Moroz is undoubtedly drawn from Russia's pagan past, he looks very much like his Western counterpart -- except that he wears a blue suit and keeps an ice maiden in constant tow. Ded Moroz has also entered into an alliance with the traffic police in the Siberian city of Krasnoyarsk in a vain endeavor to persuade the local citizenry to stay sober when they take their cars on the roads. Traffic cops dressed in the full Ded Moroz outfit, right down to the flowing white beards, have been stopping drivers and issuing gentle warnings. For most Russians, though, the real cause for celebration is not Christmas itself but the fact that official recognition of the Orthodox Christmas extends the holiday break to 10 days – which, for many, means 10 days of heavy

drinking. Last year, Moscow's ambulance service received 7500 calls every day during the January break, most of them alcohol related. But the old ways may be coming back. Many young Russians are returning to the church and traditions that just a decade ago most had thought long dead are undergoing a revival. Christmas celebrates the birth of Christ -- but in Russia and much of Eastern Europe people may also be celebrating the rebirth of a faith.Anouk Sickler <zurumato wrote: i've never heard of the burning a tree with honey,that's interesting. i know that in some parts of catholic latin america, it was three kings day january 6, it is when they belivethat the three kings gave gifts to baby jesus.children don't get gifts on the 25th, instead the put their shoes out and find little presents in the

morning inside them.One day prior, on the 6th of January, is Christmas Eve. On the morning of this day, the head of the house goes into the forest and cuts a young oak tree branch after performing the ritual of praying and paying gratitude for its sacrifice, making sure that the branch is cut so as to fall towards East and that the tree is not hurt. The oak tree branch symbolizes the night when the shepherds were called by Archangels to go to the manger where the Christ was to be born. They have cut some tree branches to make a warming fire for the newborn Holy baby, and the branch hence signifies Christ. In the evening, the head of the holder or a young male in the family carries this oak tree branch into the house and sings Holy songs and prayers, blessing all inhabitants. This signifies entrance of Jesus Christ in our home and hearts. The home is decorated with fruit, wheat (worldly wealth), honey (Bliss and sweetness of it) and wine (blood of Christ). Straw

(on which Jesus baby was laid when He was born) and gold coins (the Three Kings, Sages, gifted Jesus with myrrh, frankincense and gold) should be thrown on the floor in all four corners of the guest room signifying God's Omnipresence.Peter H

Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail

They are doing a 'gentle' don't drink and drive campaign, huh?peter hurd <swpgh01 wrote: After 70 years in the wilderness, the rhythms and festivals of the Eastern Rite and Orthodox churches are reclaiming their place at the heart of the culture and life of Russia, Ukraine, and elsewhere. Today, most Eastern Rite and some Orthodox churches use the Gregorian Calendar to celebrate fixed feasts like Christmas, using the Julian Calendar only for Easter and moveable feasts. But the Russian Orthodox Church -- whose followers are spread all over Central and Eastern Europe and beyond -- together with the Eastern Rite Church and the Orthodox communities of Jerusalem, Mount Athos, Georgia, and Serbia, continue to celebrate Christmas old style -- on 7 January. Traditions In the Eastern tradition, Christmas is preceded by a 40-day fast, beginning on 15 November -- and only ended on the evening of Christmas Eve with the appearance of the first star. Traditionally, in the meal that follows, no meat is served -- while the centerpiece of the occasion is Kutya, a sort of porridge made of grains to symbolize hope, honey for happiness and poppy seeds for peace. Curiously, one of the most traditional Russian Orthodox communities is in Alaska in the United States, where the descendants of the Russians who settled there over 200 years ago still observe Christmas on 7 January. They have maintained the custom of "starring," which has its origins in Ukraine. Groups of villagers go from house to house bearing a decorated star and singing "kolyadki," or Christmas carols. Grandfather Frost In Russia, however, Christmas, whether of the Gregorian or the

Julian variety, plays a secondary role in the popular imagination to the celebration of New Year. And Father Christmas, Santa Claus or Saint Nicholas have yet to make a comeback against Ded Moroz, or Grandfather Frost, and Snegurochka, the beguiling snow queen who hands out his gifts. The dazzling duo who now dominate the Russian festive season ousted Santa Claus when the Bolsheviks began their clampdown on religion. Yet while Ded Moroz is undoubtedly drawn from Russia's pagan past, he looks very much like his Western counterpart -- except that he wears a blue suit and keeps an ice maiden in constant tow. Ded Moroz has also entered into an alliance with the traffic police in the Siberian city of Krasnoyarsk in a vain endeavor to persuade the local citizenry to stay sober when they take their cars on the roads. Traffic cops dressed in the full Ded Moroz outfit, right down to the flowing white beards, have been stopping drivers and issuing gentle

warnings. For most Russians, though, the real cause for celebration is not Christmas itself but the fact that official recognition of the Orthodox Christmas extends the holiday break to 10 days – which, for many, means 10 days of heavy drinking. Last year, Moscow's ambulance service received 7500 calls every day during the January break, most of them alcohol related. But the old ways may be coming back. Many young Russians are returning to the church and traditions that just a decade ago most had thought long dead are undergoing a revival. Christmas celebrates the birth of Christ -- but in Russia and much of Eastern Europe people may also be celebrating the rebirth of a faith.Anouk Sickler <zurumato wrote: i've never heard of the burning a tree with honey,that's interesting. i know that in some parts

of catholic latin america, it was three kings day january 6, it is when they belivethat the three kings gave gifts to baby jesus.children don't get gifts on the 25th, instead the put their shoes out and find little presents in the morning inside them.One day prior, on the 6th of January, is Christmas Eve. On the morning of this day, the head of the house goes into the forest and cuts a young oak tree branch after performing the ritual of praying and paying gratitude for its sacrifice, making sure that the branch is cut so as to fall towards East and that the tree is not hurt. The oak tree branch symbolizes the night when the shepherds were called by Archangels to go to the manger where the Christ was to be born. They have cut some tree branches to make a warming fire for the newborn Holy baby, and the branch hence signifies Christ. In the evening, the head of the holder or a young male in the family carries this oak tree branch into the house

and sings Holy songs and prayers, blessing all inhabitants. This signifies entrance of Jesus Christ in our home and hearts. The home is decorated with fruit, wheat (worldly wealth), honey (Bliss and sweetness of it) and wine (blood of Christ). Straw (on which Jesus baby was laid when He was born) and gold coins (the Three Kings, Sages, gifted Jesus with myrrh, frankincense and gold) should be thrown on the floor in all four corners of the guest room signifying God's Omnipresence. Peter H Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail

Photos Got holiday prints? See all the ways to get quality prints in your hands ASAP.