IndiaDivine.org

Tasteless tofu turkey and lacklustre latkes

Rate this topic

Guest guest

From the Toronto Star: The Tofurky fiasco came hot on the heels of our latke letdown. And that pretty well sums up my family's Chranukah, culinarily speaking. During the recent holiday season, both my daughters made the trip to Stratford to stay with me in my new home. Esther, 34, came via Toronto from her rural British Columbia home. After many years as a vegetarian, she dabbled in meat-eating for a while and is now a vegan — no meat or dairy products pass her lips. Ruthie, 18, now at McGill, has been eschewing meat on and off for a year or two. Right now, the meat-eschewing is mostly on. So what's a carnivorous mum eager to enjoy some cross-cultural celebratory cooking and eating with her beloved offspring to do? The answer: have a latke party and dine on Tofurky. Little needs to be said about the former festive fare except this: A vegan latke, made without eggs, is a pale imitation of the real thing. Try as we could, our apron-clad trio could not make these latkes lacy, crisp and luscious. Probably all that whole-wheat flour didn't help. However, fried within an inch of their lives, then doused with sour cream and applesauce, our whole-grain, all veggie, no-dairy, vegan latkes were edible. That's more than I can say about the Tofurky. It was Esther, a fabulous cook with an impeccable palate, who came up with this novel idea. Living in beansprout B.C., she's eaten — and enjoyed — several imitation meat products made by the Oregon company Turtle Island Foods, producers of the Tofurky. An avid food sleuth who's always keen to try something new, I was up for the challenge. What's more, I was enjoying the reaction when I proudly announced to all and sundry that our family was having

Tofurky for our festive feast. After trying the local health food store to no avail, we drove to Zehr's, a huge supermarket on Stratford's main drag where you can purchase everything from deck chairs to capers to a TV. Here, a helpful young woman directed us to a large freezer in the well-stocked organic section. Sure enough, there were two boxes of Tofurky neatly stashed among the frozen entrées. At $23, the price seemed right and I was cheered to see the words "New & Improved" followed by "A Delicious Vegetarian Feast" on the package. Here's what that package contains: the Tofurky itself, a smooth, beige, oval ball-shaped thing made of tofu and wheat gluten that feels (and, it turns out, tastes) like rubber; a bag of dumplings made with a potatoey dough that encases an apple cranberry filling; fake giblet gravy containing wheat gluten and beans, and "Tofurky Jurky Wishstixs" (no, I'm not making this up!), an imitation

wishbone comprised of, among other things, tofu, beans and wheat gluten. Boxing Day came around, the date set for this interesting repast. As per the cooking instructions, we placed the perky, rotund Tofurky atop a bed of potatoes, carrots and onions in a roasting pan, set the oven at 300F for two hours, then went out to visit friends. On our return, we boiled up the dumplings, heated the gravy and sat down to savour our Tofurky feast. I will not dwell on what ensued. In a nutshell, the only edible components of our meal were the fairly tasty brown and wild rice stuffing that ran through the middle of our fake bird and the lily-white dumplings that were odd but had decent texture and some flavour. Chewy, salty and otherwise tasteless, the Michelin-mimicking Tofurky itself actually squeaked as we sliced it. So down in the dumps were all three of us after our underwhelming meal that we threw away the

wishbone, wishing we had never heard of Tofurky. The next day, I re-read the instructions on the box and realized we were supposed to cover the Tofurky during cooking. "That wouldn't have helped," said Esther grimly. I agreed. To revive our spirits while adhering to the household's meatless credo, we got out the best vegetarian cookbook in my extensive library and began cooking. Here are two yummy recipes from Rebar Modern Food Cookbook (Big Ideas; $29.95) by Audrey Alsterberg and Wanda Urbanowicz, owners of the wonderful vegetarian Rebar restaurant in Victoria, B.C. Greek Red Lentil Soup A sublime soup that's a cinch to make. Omit the feta (although I think it's the crowning glory) and this is fine for vegans. The amount of red pepper flakes used here gives a spicy kick; use less, if desired. I used a 1-litre carton of Imagine organic vegetable stock and the same amount of water. 2 tbsp olive oil 1 onion, peeled, chopped 8 garlic cloves, chopped 2 carrots, peeled, coarsely chopped 1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper 1/4 tsp hot red pepper flakes 2 tbsp chopped fresh or 1 tbsp dried oregano 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary or thyme leaves, optional 2 cups red lentils, rinsed, drained 8 cups vegetable stock 3 to 4 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice Kosher salt + freshly ground pepper to taste 1 cup crumbled feta cheese Chopped fresh parsley Heat oil in large, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring, about 5 minutes or until soft. Add garlic, carrots, black pepper, red pepper flakes, oregano and rosemary or thyme, if using; cook, stirring, about 2

minutes more. Add lentils and stock. Bring to boil over high heat; reduce heat to low and simmer, partially, covered, until lentils are soft and falling apart, about 15 to 20 minutes. Add lemon juice, salt and pepper. Serve hot soup in shallow bowls sprinkled with feta and chopped parsley. Makes about 6 servings. Eggless Caesar Salad Dressing Another winner from the folks at Rebar. You could add a few anchovy fillets, if desired. 1 garlic bulb 2 tsp olive oil Juice of 1 lemon 1 tbsp capers 1 tbsp caper juice 1-1/2 tsp Dijon mustard 2 garlic cloves, minced 1/4 tsp each: salt, coarsely ground black pepper 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil Preheat oven or toaster oven to

400F. Slice top off garlic bulb just enough to expose tops of each clove. Place on piece of foil; drizzle with 2 teaspoons olive oil. Roast in oven 30 to 45 minutes or until soft. Squeeze soft part of garlic out of the bulb and add to food processor or blender with all remaining ingredients except oil; blend until almost smooth. Add oil in thin stream until thick and creamy. To serve, toss torn romaine lettuce with just enough dressing to coat; add homemade croutons. Garnish with parmesan cheese, shaved with potato peeler. Makes enough dressing for about 8 servings.Peter H

Photos – NEW, now offering a quality print service from just 8p a photo.

no dairy? wot's sour cream made from..maple syrup.....? peter hurd Jan 14, 2006 8:17 AM Re: Tasteless tofu turkey and lacklustre latkes

From the Toronto Star:

The Tofurky fiasco came hot on the heels of our latke letdown. And that pretty well sums up my family's Chranukah, culinarily speaking. During the recent holiday season, both my daughters made the trip to Stratford to stay with me in my new home. Esther, 34, came via Toronto from her rural British Columbia home. After many years as a vegetarian, she dabbled in meat-eating for a while and is now a vegan no meat or dairy products pass her lips. Ruthie, 18, now at McGill, has been eschewing meat on and off for a year or two. Right now, the meat-eschewing is mostly on. So what's a carnivorous mum eager to enjoy some cross-cultural celebratory cooking and eating with her beloved offspring to do? The answer: have a latke party and dine on Tofurky. Little needs to be said about the former festive fare except this: A vegan latke, made without eggs, is a pale imitation of the real thing. Try as we could, our apron-clad trio could not make these latkes lacy, crisp and luscious. Probably all that whole-wheat flour didn't help. However, fried within an inch of their lives, then doused with sour cream and applesauce, our whole-grain, all veggie, no-dairy, vegan latkes were edible. That's more than I can say about the Tofurky. It was Esther, a fabulous cook with an impeccable palate, who came up with this novel idea. Living in beansprout B.C., she's eaten and enjoyed several imitation meat products made by the Oregon company Turtle Island Foods, producers of the Tofurky. An avid food sleuth who's always keen to try something new, I was up for the challenge. What's more, I was enjoying the reaction when I proudly announced to all and sundry that our family was having Tofurky for our festive feast. After trying the local health food store to no avail, we drove to Zehr's, a huge supermarket on Stratford's main drag where you can purchase everything from deck chairs to capers to a TV. Here, a helpful young woman directed us to a large freezer in the well-stocked organic section. Sure enough, there were two boxes of Tofurky neatly stashed among the frozen entrées. At $23, the price seemed right and I was cheered to see the words "New & Improved" followed by "A Delicious Vegetarian Feast" on the package. Here's what that package contains: the Tofurky itself, a smooth, beige, oval ball-shaped thing made of tofu and wheat gluten that feels (and, it turns out, tastes) like rubber; a bag of dumplings made with a potatoey dough that encases an apple cranberry filling; fake giblet gravy containing wheat gluten and beans, and "Tofurky Jurky Wishstixs" (no, I'm not making this up!), an imitation wishbone comprised of, among other things, tofu, beans and wheat gluten. Boxing Day came around, the date set for this interesting repast. As per the cooking instructions, we placed the perky, rotund Tofurky atop a bed of potatoes, carrots and onions in a roasting pan, set the oven at 300F for two hours, then went out to visit friends. On our return, we boiled up the dumplings, heated the gravy and sat down to savour our Tofurky feast. I will not dwell on what ensued. In a nutshell, the only edible components of our meal were the fairly tasty brown and wild rice stuffing that ran through the middle of our fake bird and the lily-white dumplings that were odd but had decent texture and some flavour. Chewy, salty and otherwise tasteless, the Michelin-mimicking Tofurky itself actually squeaked as we sliced it. So down in the dumps were all three of us after our underwhelming meal that we threw away the wishbone, wishing we had never heard of Tofurky. The next day, I re-read the instructions on the box and realized we were supposed to cover the Tofurky during cooking. "That wouldn't have helped," said Esther grimly. I agreed. To revive our spirits while adhering to the household's meatless credo, we got out the best vegetarian cookbook in my extensive library and began cooking. Here are two yummy recipes from Rebar Modern Food Cookbook (Big Ideas; $29.95) by Audrey Alsterberg and Wanda Urbanowicz, owners of the wonderful vegetarian Rebar restaurant in Victoria, B.C.

Greek Red Lentil Soup A sublime soup that's a cinch to make. Omit the feta (although I think it's the crowning glory) and this is fine for vegans. The amount of red pepper flakes used here gives a spicy kick; use less, if desired. I used a 1-litre carton of Imagine organic vegetable stock and the same amount of water. 2 tbsp olive oil 1 onion, peeled, chopped 8 garlic cloves, chopped 2 carrots, peeled, coarsely chopped 1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper 1/4 tsp hot red pepper flakes 2 tbsp chopped fresh or 1 tbsp dried oregano 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary or thyme leaves, optional 2 cups red lentils, rinsed, drained 8 cups vegetable stock 3 to 4 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice Kosher salt + freshly ground pepper to taste 1 cup crumbled feta cheese Chopped fresh parsley Heat oil in large, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring, about 5 minutes or until soft. Add garlic, carrots, black pepper, red pepper flakes, oregano and rosemary or thyme, if using; cook, stirring, about 2 minutes more. Add lentils and stock. Bring to boil over high heat; reduce heat to low and simmer, partially, covered, until lentils are soft and falling apart, about 15 to 20 minutes. Add lemon juice, salt and pepper. Serve hot soup in shallow bowls sprinkled with feta and chopped parsley. Makes about 6 servings.

Eggless Caesar Salad Dressing Another winner from the folks at Rebar. You could add a few anchovy fillets, if desired. 1 garlic bulb 2 tsp olive oil Juice of 1 lemon 1 tbsp capers 1 tbsp caper juice 1-1/2 tsp Dijon mustard 2 garlic cloves, minced 1/4 tsp each: salt, coarsely ground black pepper 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil Preheat oven or toaster oven to 400F. Slice top off garlic bulb just enough to expose tops of each clove. Place on piece of foil; drizzle with 2 teaspoons olive oil. Roast in oven 30 to 45 minutes or until soft. Squeeze soft part of garlic out of the bulb and add to food processor or blender with all remaining ingredients except oil; blend until almost smooth. Add oil in thin stream until thick and creamy. To serve, toss torn romaine lettuce with just enough dressing to coat; add homemade croutons. Garnish with parmesan cheese, shaved with potato peeler. Makes enough dressing for about 8 servings.

Peter H

Photos NEW, now offering a quality print service from just 8p a photo. To send an email to -

Yep, and anchovies are a tree fruit............. The Valley Vegan..............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: no dairy? wot's sour cream made from..maple syrup.....? peter hurd Jan 14, 2006 8:17 AM Re: Tasteless tofu turkey and lacklustre latkes From the Toronto Star: The Tofurky fiasco came hot on the heels of our latke letdown. And that pretty well sums up my family's Chranukah, culinarily speaking. During the recent holiday season, both

my daughters made the trip to Stratford to stay with me in my new home. Esther, 34, came via Toronto from her rural British Columbia home. After many years as a vegetarian, she dabbled in meat-eating for a while and is now a vegan — no meat or dairy products pass her lips. Ruthie, 18, now at McGill, has been eschewing meat on and off for a year or two. Right now, the meat-eschewing is mostly on. So what's a carnivorous mum eager to enjoy some cross-cultural celebratory cooking and eating with her beloved offspring to do? The answer: have a latke party and dine on Tofurky. Little needs to be said about the former festive fare except this: A vegan latke, made without eggs, is a pale imitation of the real thing. Try as we could, our apron-clad trio could not make these latkes lacy, crisp and luscious. Probably all that whole-wheat flour didn't help. However, fried within an inch of their lives,

then doused with sour cream and applesauce, our whole-grain, all veggie, no-dairy, vegan latkes were edible. That's more than I can say about the Tofurky. It was Esther, a fabulous cook with an impeccable palate, who came up with this novel idea. Living in beansprout B.C., she's eaten — and enjoyed — several imitation meat products made by the Oregon company Turtle Island Foods, producers of the Tofurky. An avid food sleuth who's always keen to try something new, I was up for the challenge. What's more, I was enjoying the reaction when I proudly announced to all and sundry that our family was having Tofurky for our festive feast. After trying the local health food store to no avail, we drove to Zehr's, a huge supermarket on Stratford's main drag where you can purchase everything from deck chairs to capers to a TV. Here, a helpful young woman directed us to a large freezer in the well-stocked organic section. Sure enough, there were two boxes of Tofurky neatly stashed among the frozen entrées. At $23, the price seemed right and I was cheered to see the words "New & Improved" followed by "A Delicious Vegetarian Feast" on the package. Here's what that package contains: the Tofurky itself, a smooth, beige, oval ball-shaped thing made of tofu and wheat gluten that feels (and, it turns out, tastes) like rubber; a bag of dumplings made with a potatoey dough that encases an apple cranberry filling; fake giblet gravy containing wheat gluten and beans, and "Tofurky Jurky Wishstixs" (no, I'm not making this up!), an imitation wishbone comprised of, among other things, tofu, beans and wheat gluten. Boxing Day came around, the date set for this interesting repast. As per the cooking instructions, we placed the perky, rotund Tofurky atop a bed of potatoes, carrots and onions in a roasting pan, set the oven at 300F for two hours, then went out to

visit friends. On our return, we boiled up the dumplings, heated the gravy and sat down to savour our Tofurky feast. I will not dwell on what ensued. In a nutshell, the only edible components of our meal were the fairly tasty brown and wild rice stuffing that ran through the middle of our fake bird and the lily-white dumplings that were odd but had decent texture and some flavour. Chewy, salty and otherwise tasteless, the Michelin-mimicking Tofurky itself actually squeaked as we sliced it. So down in the dumps were all three of us after our underwhelming meal that we threw away the wishbone, wishing we had never heard of Tofurky. The next day, I re-read the instructions on the box and realized we were supposed to cover the Tofurky during cooking. "That wouldn't have helped," said Esther grimly. I agreed. To revive our spirits while adhering to the household's meatless credo, we got out the

best vegetarian cookbook in my extensive library and began cooking. Here are two yummy recipes from Rebar Modern Food Cookbook (Big Ideas; $29.95) by Audrey Alsterberg and Wanda Urbanowicz, owners of the wonderful vegetarian Rebar restaurant in Victoria, B.C. Greek Red Lentil Soup A sublime soup that's a cinch to make. Omit the feta (although I think it's the crowning glory) and this is fine for vegans. The amount of red pepper flakes used here gives a spicy kick; use less, if desired. I used a 1-litre carton of Imagine organic vegetable stock and the same amount of water. 2 tbsp olive oil 1 onion, peeled, chopped 8 garlic cloves, chopped 2 carrots, peeled, coarsely chopped 1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper 1/4 tsp hot red pepper flakes 2 tbsp chopped fresh or 1 tbsp dried

oregano 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary or thyme leaves, optional 2 cups red lentils, rinsed, drained 8 cups vegetable stock 3 to 4 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice Kosher salt + freshly ground pepper to taste 1 cup crumbled feta cheese Chopped fresh parsley Heat oil in large, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring, about 5 minutes or until soft. Add garlic, carrots, black pepper, red pepper flakes, oregano and rosemary or thyme, if using; cook, stirring, about 2 minutes more. Add lentils and stock. Bring to boil over high heat; reduce heat to low and simmer, partially, covered, until lentils are soft and falling apart, about 15 to 20 minutes. Add lemon juice, salt and pepper. Serve hot soup in shallow bowls sprinkled with feta and chopped parsley. Makes about 6

servings. Eggless Caesar Salad Dressing Another winner from the folks at Rebar. You could add a few anchovy fillets, if desired. 1 garlic bulb 2 tsp olive oil Juice of 1 lemon 1 tbsp capers 1 tbsp caper juice 1-1/2 tsp Dijon mustard 2 garlic cloves, minced 1/4 tsp each: salt, coarsely ground black pepper 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil Preheat oven or toaster oven to 400F. Slice top off garlic bulb just enough to expose tops of each clove. Place on piece of foil; drizzle with 2 teaspoons olive oil. Roast in oven 30 to 45 minutes or until soft. Squeeze soft part of garlic out of the bulb and add to food processor or blender with all remaining ingredients except oil; blend until

almost smooth. Add oil in thin stream until thick and creamy. To serve, toss torn romaine lettuce with just enough dressing to coat; add homemade croutons. Garnish with parmesan cheese, shaved with potato peeler. Makes enough dressing for about 8 servings. Peter H Photos – NEW, now offering a quality print service from just 8p a photo. To send an email to

-

Of course I just assume that a vegan just uses the appropriate vegan options like sour cream and butter, but I guess that's not a safe assumption.peter hurd <swpgh01 wrote: Yep, and anchovies are a tree fruit............. The Valley Vegan..............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: no dairy? wot's sour cream made from..maple syrup.....? peter hurd Jan 14, 2006 8:17 AM Re: Tasteless tofu turkey and lacklustre latkes From the Toronto Star: The Tofurky fiasco came hot on the heels of our latke letdown. And that pretty well sums up my family's Chranukah, culinarily speaking. During the recent holiday season, both my daughters made the trip to Stratford to stay with me in my new home. Esther, 34, came via Toronto from her rural British Columbia home. After many years as a vegetarian, she dabbled in meat-eating for a while and is now a vegan — no meat or dairy products pass her lips. Ruthie, 18, now at McGill, has been eschewing meat on and off for a year or two. Right now, the meat-eschewing is mostly on. So what's a carnivorous mum eager to enjoy some cross-cultural celebratory cooking and eating with her beloved offspring to do? The answer: have a latke party and dine on Tofurky. Little needs to be said about the former festive fare except this: A vegan latke, made without eggs, is a pale imitation of the real thing. Try as we could, our apron-clad trio could not make these latkes lacy, crisp and luscious. Probably all that whole-wheat flour didn't help. However, fried within an inch of their lives, then doused with sour cream and applesauce, our whole-grain, all veggie, no-dairy, vegan latkes were edible. That's more than I can say about the Tofurky. It was Esther, a fabulous cook with an impeccable palate, who came up with this novel idea. Living in beansprout B.C., she's eaten — and enjoyed — several imitation meat products made by the Oregon company Turtle Island Foods, producers of the Tofurky. An avid food sleuth who's always keen to try something new, I was up for the challenge. What's more, I was enjoying the reaction when I proudly announced to all and sundry that our family was having

Tofurky for our festive feast. After trying the local health food store to no avail, we drove to Zehr's, a huge supermarket on Stratford's main drag where you can purchase everything from deck chairs to capers to a TV. Here, a helpful young woman directed us to a large freezer in the well-stocked organic section. Sure enough, there were two boxes of Tofurky neatly stashed among the frozen entrées. At $23, the price seemed right and I was cheered to see the words "New & Improved" followed by "A Delicious Vegetarian Feast" on the package. Here's what that package contains: the Tofurky itself, a smooth, beige, oval ball-shaped thing made of tofu and wheat gluten that feels (and, it turns out, tastes) like rubber; a bag of dumplings made with a potatoey dough that encases an apple cranberry filling; fake giblet gravy containing wheat gluten and beans, and "Tofurky Jurky Wishstixs" (no, I'm not making this up!), an imitation

wishbone comprised of, among other things, tofu, beans and wheat gluten. Boxing Day came around, the date set for this interesting repast. As per the cooking instructions, we placed the perky, rotund Tofurky atop a bed of potatoes, carrots and onions in a roasting pan, set the oven at 300F for two hours, then went out to visit friends. On our return, we boiled up the dumplings, heated the gravy and sat down to savour our Tofurky feast. I will not dwell on what ensued. In a nutshell, the only edible components of our meal were the fairly tasty brown and wild rice stuffing that ran through the middle of our fake bird and the lily-white dumplings that were odd but had decent texture and some flavour. Chewy, salty and otherwise tasteless, the Michelin-mimicking Tofurky itself actually squeaked as we sliced it. So down in the dumps were all three of us after our underwhelming meal that we threw away the

wishbone, wishing we had never heard of Tofurky. The next day, I re-read the instructions on the box and realized we were supposed to cover the Tofurky during cooking. "That wouldn't have helped," said Esther grimly. I agreed. To revive our spirits while adhering to the household's meatless credo, we got out the best vegetarian cookbook in my extensive library and began cooking. Here are two yummy recipes from Rebar Modern Food Cookbook (Big Ideas; $29.95) by Audrey Alsterberg and Wanda Urbanowicz, owners of the wonderful vegetarian Rebar restaurant in Victoria, B.C. Greek Red Lentil Soup A sublime soup that's a cinch to make. Omit the feta (although I think it's the crowning glory) and this is fine for vegans. The amount of red pepper flakes used here gives a spicy kick; use less, if desired. I used a 1-litre carton of Imagine organic vegetable stock and the same amount of water. 2 tbsp olive oil 1 onion, peeled, chopped 8 garlic cloves, chopped 2 carrots, peeled, coarsely chopped 1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper 1/4 tsp hot red pepper flakes 2 tbsp chopped fresh or 1 tbsp dried oregano 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary or thyme leaves, optional 2 cups red lentils, rinsed, drained 8 cups vegetable stock 3 to 4 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice Kosher salt + freshly ground pepper to taste 1 cup crumbled feta cheese Chopped fresh parsley Heat oil in large, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring, about 5 minutes or until soft. Add garlic, carrots, black pepper, red pepper flakes, oregano and rosemary or thyme, if using; cook, stirring, about 2

minutes more. Add lentils and stock. Bring to boil over high heat; reduce heat to low and simmer, partially, covered, until lentils are soft and falling apart, about 15 to 20 minutes. Add lemon juice, salt and pepper. Serve hot soup in shallow bowls sprinkled with feta and chopped parsley. Makes about 6 servings. Eggless Caesar Salad Dressing Another winner from the folks at Rebar. You could add a few anchovy fillets, if desired. 1 garlic bulb 2 tsp olive oil Juice of 1 lemon 1 tbsp capers 1 tbsp caper juice 1-1/2 tsp Dijon mustard 2 garlic cloves, minced 1/4 tsp each: salt, coarsely ground black pepper 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil Preheat oven or toaster oven to

400F. Slice top off garlic bulb just enough to expose tops of each clove. Place on piece of foil; drizzle with 2 teaspoons olive oil. Roast in oven 30 to 45 minutes or until soft. Squeeze soft part of garlic out of the bulb and add to food processor or blender with all remaining ingredients except oil; blend until almost smooth. Add oil in thin stream until thick and creamy. To serve, toss torn romaine lettuce with just enough dressing to coat; add homemade croutons. Garnish with parmesan cheese, shaved with potato peeler. Makes enough dressing for about 8 servings. Peter H Photos – NEW, now offering a quality print service from just 8p a photo. To send an email to -