IndiaDivine.org

Fw: Hamster and Snake Forge Unlikely Friendship

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hamster Gohan was supposed to be a meal for snake Aochan in October, but Aochan has decided thus far not to eat the critter.

TOKYO (Jan. 18) - Gohan and Aochan make strange bedfellows: one's a 3.5-inch dwarf hamster; the other is a rat snake. Zookeepers at Tokyo's Mutsugoro Okoku zoo presented the hamster - whose name means "meal" in Japanese - to Aochan as a tasty morsel in October, after the snake refused to eat frozen mice.

But instead of indulging, Aochan decided to make friends with the furry rodent, according to keeper Kazuya Yamamoto. The pair have shared a cage since.

"I've never seen anything like it. Gohan sometimes even climbs onto Aochan to take a nap on his back," Yamamoto said.

Aochan, a 2-year-old male Japanese rat snake, eventually developed an appetite for frozen rodents but has so far shown no signs of gobbling up Gohan - despite her name.

"We named her Gohan as a joke," Yamamoto chuckled. "But I don't think there's any danger. Aochan seems to enjoy Gohan's company very much."

The Tokyo zoo also keeps a range of mostly livestock animals, and promotes "cross-breed interaction," according to Yamamoto.

But Gohan and Aochan's case was "was a complete accident," Yamamoto said.

01/18/06 09:08 EST Copyright 2006 The Associated Press.

hmmm..that snake needs to shed...... Peter Jan 18, 2006 3:45 PM Vegan Chat Fw: Hamster and Snake Forge Unlikely Friendship

Hamster Gohan was supposed to be a meal for snake Aochan in October, but Aochan has decided thus far not to eat the critter.

TOKYO (Jan. 18) - Gohan and Aochan make strange bedfellows: one's a 3.5-inch dwarf hamster; the other is a rat snake. Zookeepers at Tokyo's Mutsugoro Okoku zoo presented the hamster - whose name means "meal" in Japanese - to Aochan as a tasty morsel in October, after the snake refused to eat frozen mice.

But instead of indulging, Aochan decided to make friends with the furry rodent, according to keeper Kazuya Yamamoto. The pair have shared a cage since.

"I've never seen anything like it. Gohan sometimes even climbs onto Aochan to take a nap on his back," Yamamoto said.

Aochan, a 2-year-old male Japanese rat snake, eventually developed an appetite for frozen rodents but has so far shown no signs of gobbling up Gohan - despite her name.

"We named her Gohan as a joke," Yamamoto chuckled. "But I don't think there's any danger. Aochan seems to enjoy Gohan's company very much."

The Tokyo zoo also keeps a range of mostly livestock animals, and promotes "cross-breed interaction," according to Yamamoto.

01/18/06 09:08 EST Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. To send an email to -

Hi Peter

How strange! Poor little hamster - I'm glad she and the snake get on well.

BBJo

-

Peter

Vegan Chat

Wednesday, January 18, 2006 8:45 PM

Fw: Hamster and Snake Forge Unlikely Friendship

01/18/06 09:08 EST Copyright 2006 The Associated Press.

Hmm.........I hope they regularly feed that snake............. The Valley Vegan.................Peter <metalscarab wrote: Hamster Gohan was supposed to be a meal for snake Aochan in October, but Aochan has decided thus far not to eat the critter. TOKYO (Jan. 18) - Gohan and Aochan make strange bedfellows: one's a

3.5-inch dwarf hamster; the other is a rat snake. Zookeepers at Tokyo's Mutsugoro Okoku zoo presented the hamster - whose name means "meal" in Japanese - to Aochan as a tasty morsel in October, after the snake refused to eat frozen mice. But instead of indulging, Aochan decided to make friends with the furry rodent, according to keeper Kazuya Yamamoto. The pair have shared a cage since. "I've never seen anything like it. Gohan sometimes even climbs onto Aochan to take a nap on his back," Yamamoto said. Aochan, a 2-year-old male Japanese rat snake, eventually developed an appetite for frozen rodents but has so far shown no signs of gobbling up Gohan - despite her name. "We named her Gohan as a joke," Yamamoto chuckled. "But I don't think there's any danger. Aochan seems to enjoy Gohan's company very much." The Tokyo zoo also keeps a range of mostly livestock animals, and promotes "cross-breed interaction," according to Yamamoto. But Gohan and Aochan's case was "was a complete accident," Yamamoto said. 01/18/06 09:08 EST Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. Peter H

Photos – NEW, now offering a quality print service from just 8p a photo.

This is awsum!Peter <metalscarab wrote: Hamster Gohan was supposed to be a meal for snake Aochan in October, but Aochan has decided thus far not to eat the critter. TOKYO (Jan. 18) - Gohan and Aochan make strange bedfellows: one's a 3.5-inch dwarf hamster; the other is a rat snake. Zookeepers at Tokyo's Mutsugoro Okoku zoo presented the

hamster - whose name means "meal" in Japanese - to Aochan as a tasty morsel in October, after the snake refused to eat frozen mice. But instead of indulging, Aochan decided to make friends with the furry rodent, according to keeper Kazuya Yamamoto. The pair have shared a cage since. "I've never seen anything like it. Gohan sometimes even climbs onto Aochan to take a nap on his back," Yamamoto said. Aochan, a 2-year-old male Japanese rat snake, eventually developed an appetite for frozen rodents but has so far shown no signs of gobbling up Gohan - despite her name. "We named her Gohan as a joke," Yamamoto chuckled. "But I don't think there's any

danger. Aochan seems to enjoy Gohan's company very much." The Tokyo zoo also keeps a range of mostly livestock animals, and promotes "cross-breed interaction," according to Yamamoto. But Gohan and Aochan's case was "was a complete accident," Yamamoto said. 01/18/06 09:08 EST Copyright 2006 The Associated Press.

Photos – Showcase holiday pictures in hardcover Photo Books. You design it and we’ll bind it!

It said that it now eats frozen mice...peter hurd <swpgh01 wrote: Hmm.........I hope they regularly feed that snake............. The Valley Vegan.................Peter <metalscarab wrote: Hamster Gohan was supposed to be a meal for snake Aochan in October, but Aochan has decided thus far not to eat the critter. TOKYO (Jan. 18) - Gohan and Aochan make strange bedfellows: one's a 3.5-inch dwarf hamster; the other is a rat snake. Zookeepers at Tokyo's Mutsugoro Okoku zoo presented the hamster - whose name means "meal" in Japanese - to Aochan as a tasty morsel in October, after the snake refused to eat frozen mice. But instead of indulging, Aochan decided to make friends with the furry rodent, according to keeper Kazuya Yamamoto. The pair have shared a cage since. "I've never seen anything like it. Gohan sometimes even climbs onto Aochan to take a nap on his back," Yamamoto said. Aochan, a 2-year-old male Japanese rat snake, eventually developed an appetite for frozen rodents but has so far shown no signs of gobbling up Gohan - despite her name. "We named her Gohan as a joke," Yamamoto chuckled. "But I don't think there's any danger. Aochan seems to enjoy Gohan's company very much." The Tokyo zoo also keeps a range of mostly livestock animals, and promotes "cross-breed interaction," according to Yamamoto. But Gohan and Aochan's case was "was a complete accident," Yamamoto said. 01/18/06 09:08 EST

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. Peter H Photos – NEW, now offering a quality print service from just 8p a photo.

Photos Got holiday prints? See all the ways to get quality prints in your hands ASAP.