IndiaDivine.org

Vegan wine and beer?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Posted on Thu, Feb. 02, 2006 Philidelphia news Vegan wine and beer? Most wines and beers are "fined," or filtered to improve clarity and color. The most common filtering agent is isinglass, derived from the swim bladders of fish. Sometimes gelatin or egg albumen is used. Though these substances do not remain in the end product, their use as part of the process makes many vegans avoid them. Other wines and beers are fined using non-animal ingredients, and still others are not fined at all. Only recently have vegetarians and vegans begun compiling authoritative lists of which products do or do use not animal-free processes. Here are two good resources: Vegan wines vegans.frommars.org/wine/ Vegetarian and vegan beers homepage.ntlworld.com/geraint.bevan/Vegetarian_beers.html . Peter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.

ah...see..i don't really consider Stella to be a belgian beer....

since its made by InBev(formally Interbrew), and they have like 75 breweries scattered all over the globe, it would be like gettina good home cooked American meal by going to Mcdonalds....

*shrug*

i've toured the brweries/monasteries for many belgian beers...duvel, chimay, etc...and for any of them to use isinglass was almost laughable..

of course, this was over ten years ago, so who knows how things change, eh?

but...Belgium’s most renowned beer yeast culture expert, Roger Mussche, was asked about the use of isinglass, and he saud My friends, this is a little joke for us. We are real brewers, not from the Anglo-Saxon world! It means that we never use any part of an animal in our beer like the Commonwealth people do... No foam-control agents, especially glyceryl monostearate (it’s much better to make French fries with it). So we are more than vegan! What a world... Michael Benis Feb 5, 2006 3:04 AM RE: Vegan wine and beer?

I have been told some belgian beers, particularly the dark ones, do use Isingfas. There was a bit of confusion about Stella Artois as well. I stopped drinking it then and can't remember whether or not it was found to be vegan in the end or not. As far as I can remember no, though Hoegaarden is.

As for English cask beer: Sam Smiths is fine :-)

Cheers

Mike

On Behalf Of fraggle04 February 2006 20:02 Subject: RE: Vegan wine and beer?

nah

belgium beers don't use isinglass

and, yer right, on yer side of the pond, its much more common, tho, mostly in the UK

unless u don'r know, just stay far away from any british cask ale...

Emotional appeals about working families trying to get by on $4.25 an hour [the minimum wage in 1996] are hard to resist. Fortunately, such families do not exist. Tom Delay 4/23/96

Thanks. Best news I've heard in years. Was told Chimay was not vegan etc. but people keep getting this stuff wrong...

Cheers

Mike

Hic!

On Behalf Of fraggle05 February 2006 22:01 Subject: RE: Vegan wine and beer?

ah...see..i don't really consider Stella to be a belgian beer....

since its made by InBev(formally Interbrew), and they have like 75 breweries scattered all over the globe, it would be like gettina good home cooked American meal by going to Mcdonalds....

*shrug*

i've toured the brweries/monasteries for many belgian beers...duvel, chimay, etc...and for any of them to use isinglass was almost laughable..

of course, this was over ten years ago, so who knows how things change, eh?

but...Belgium’s most renowned beer yeast culture expert, Roger Mussche, was asked about the use of isinglass, and he saud My friends, this is a little joke for us. We are real brewers, not from the Anglo-Saxon world! It means that we never use any part of an animal in our beer like the Commonwealth people do... No foam-control agents, especially glyceryl monostearate (it’s much better to make French fries with it). So we are more than vegan! What a world... Michael Benis Feb 5, 2006 3:04 AM RE: Vegan wine and beer?

I have been told some belgian beers, particularly the dark ones, do use Isingfas. There was a bit of confusion about Stella Artois as well. I stopped drinking it then and can't remember whether or not it was found to be vegan in the end or not. As far as I can remember no, though Hoegaarden is.

As for English cask beer: Sam Smiths is fine :-)

Cheers

Mike

On Behalf Of fraggle04 February 2006 20:02 Subject: RE: Vegan wine and beer?

nah

belgium beers don't use isinglass

and, yer right, on yer side of the pond, its much more common, tho, mostly in the UK

unless u don'r know, just stay far away from any british cask ale...

Emotional appeals about working families trying to get by on $4.25 an hour [the minimum wage in 1996] are hard to resist. Fortunately, such families do not exist. Tom Delay 4/23/96

glad was able to bring you some good news

:) Michael Benis Feb 6, 2006 4:05 AM RE: Vegan wine and beer?

Thanks. Best news I've heard in years. Was told Chimay was not vegan etc. but people keep getting this stuff wrong...

Cheers

Mike

"I challenge anyone to live on my salary" [$158,000 a year]. Tom Delay