IndiaDivine.org

Vegan diet holds lessons for others

Rate this topic

Guest guest

from the news & observer which covers wake, durham, orange,johnston & chatham wherever they are? Vegan diet holds lessons for others Havala Hobbs Story Tools Printer Friendly Email to a Friend Enlarge Font Decrease Font More Lifestyles Hale and hiking Catch rising stars Memoirist comes off the sidelines of celebrity Check It Out Vegan diet holds lessons for others Seacrest becomes idol in his own right Suzanne Havala Hobbs, Correspondent Ever eat a cheeseless pizza or dunk a cookie into a glass of soymilk? For about one out of every 100 people, avoiding all animal products -- meat, fish, poultry, eggs and dairy products -- is second nature. They're vegan (VEE-gun) -- vegetarians who go a few steps farther than the rest. In fact, most vegans also steer clear of honey, and some avoid refined sugar (much of it is whitened with bone char). What motivates people to go to such extremes? Vegans are typically motivated by convictions about

ecology, world hunger and animal rights. Any use of animals that exploits them or contributes to suffering is off-limits, and that extends to clothing and cosmetics, too. Vegans don't wear leather, wool or silk and they avoid makeup, shampoo and other household products made with animal ingredients or tested on animals. Health reasons may be motivating factors, too, though they usually aren't the driving force. Vegans (and vegetarians) are less likely than nonvegetarians to be overweight, and they have lower rates of coronary artery disease. They have lower blood cholesterol levels and lower rates of high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, and prostate and colon cancer. It's not hard to understand why. If you don't eat meat and cheese, you consume a lot less saturated fat and cholesterol. Vegans don't eat ice cream or most commercial cakes and cookies (they contain eggs). Rule out mayo-laden sandwiches, milk chocolate and butter. Vegans avoid margarine made

with casein (a milk protein) and pie crusts that contain milk solids. I've spent enough time with vegans to know another advantage: When you eat out as a vegan, you eat more healthful foods. Vegans eat more bulky, low-calorie foods, such as fruits and vegetables. They get more fiber, less fat and more of the beneficial phytochemicals found in foods of plant origin. Instead of burgers and steaks, vegans gravitate toward Chinese restaurants where they fill up on hot and sour soup and big plates of vegetable stir-fry with steamed rice. Or they go for Indian or Ethiopian food -- heavy on vegetables and beans. Even if you're not a vegan, you could benefit from eating more vegan foods. Some great vegan products: * Veggie meat substitutes. I discussed these in a previous column, but it's worth repeating: Veggie burger patties, meatless hot dogs and cold cuts, sausages and bacon, and meatless burger crumbles that look like ground beef can be found in mainstream

supermarkets and are far more healthful than their meat counterparts. They taste great, too. * Soymilk and rice milk. Fortified with calcium and vitamins A and D, they're better for your health than cow's milk. During the holidays, look for one of my favorite products: Silk brand eggnog made with soymilk. It's delicious, and you can feel OK about drinking a large glass of it. * Egg replacer. Find Ener-G Egg Replacer in natural foods stores. Packed in a 1-pound box, the white powdery mixture of vegetable starches, mixed with a few tablespoons of water, can be used in place of whole eggs in almost any recipe. Perhaps the most important lesson we could learn from vegans is their thoughtfulness toward food. Vegans mindfully consider everything they eat. They study the fine print on food labels and pepper restaurant wait staff with questions. Many people consider a vegan lifestyle too extreme, but adopting a more thoughtful approach to what goes on your plate

can be a giant first step toward a healthier diet.Peter H

Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail

*snip*

"It's not hard to understand why. If you don't eat meat and cheese, you consume a lot less saturated fat and cholesterol. "

well...no cholesterol at all....none..zilch...nada...actually

*snip*

"Many people consider a vegan lifestyle too extreme, but adopting a more thoughtful approach to what goes on your plate can be a giant first step toward a healthier diet."

yes..and crackin open yer chest for triple by-pass surgery...thats a walk in the park....

*tosses paws in the air* peter hurd Feb 23, 2006 2:29 PM Re: Vegan diet holds lessons for others

from the news & observer which covers wake, durham, orange,johnston & chatham wherever they are?

Havala Hobbs

Story Tools

Printer Friendly

Email to a Friend

Enlarge Font

Decrease Font More Lifestyles

Hale and hiking

Catch rising stars

Memoirist comes off the sidelines of celebrity

Check It Out

Seacrest becomes idol in his own right

Suzanne Havala Hobbs, Correspondent

Ever eat a cheeseless pizza or dunk a cookie into a glass of soymilk? For about one out of every 100 people, avoiding all animal products -- meat, fish, poultry, eggs and dairy products -- is second nature. They're vegan (VEE-gun) -- vegetarians who go a few steps farther than the rest. In fact, most vegans also steer clear of honey, and some avoid refined sugar (much of it is whitened with bone char). What motivates people to go to such extremes? Vegans are typically motivated by convictions about ecology, world hunger and animal rights. Any use of animals that exploits them or contributes to suffering is off-limits, and that extends to clothing and cosmetics, too. Vegans don't wear leather, wool or silk and they avoid makeup, shampoo and other household products made with animal ingredients or tested on animals. Health reasons may be motivating factors, too, though they usually aren't the driving force. Vegans (and vegetarians) are less likely than nonvegetarians to be overweight, and they have lower rates of coronary artery disease. They have lower blood cholesterol levels and lower rates of high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, and prostate and colon cancer. It's not hard to understand why. If you don't eat meat and cheese, you consume a lot less saturated fat and cholesterol. Vegans don't eat ice cream or most commercial cakes and cookies (they contain eggs). Rule out mayo-laden sandwiches, milk chocolate and butter. Vegans avoid margarine made with casein (a milk protein) and pie crusts that contain milk solids. I've spent enough time with vegans to know another advantage: When you eat out as a vegan, you eat more healthful foods. Vegans eat more bulky, low-calorie foods, such as fruits and vegetables. They get more fiber, less fat and more of the beneficial phytochemicals found in foods of plant origin. Instead of burgers and steaks, vegans gravitate toward Chinese restaurants where they fill up on hot and sour soup and big plates of vegetable stir-fry with steamed rice. Or they go for Indian or Ethiopian food -- heavy on vegetables and beans. Even if you're not a vegan, you could benefit from eating more vegan foods. Some great vegan products: * Veggie meat substitutes. I discussed these in a previous column, but it's worth repeating: Veggie burger patties, meatless hot dogs and cold cuts, sausages and bacon, and meatless burger crumbles that look like ground beef can be found in mainstream supermarkets and are far more healthful than their meat counterparts. They taste great, too. * Soymilk and rice milk. Fortified with calcium and vitamins A and D, they're better for your health than cow's milk. During the holidays, look for one of my favorite products: Silk brand eggnog made with soymilk. It's delicious, and you can feel OK about drinking a large glass of it. * Egg replacer. Find Ener-G Egg Replacer in natural foods stores. Packed in a 1-pound box, the white powdery mixture of vegetable starches, mixed with a few tablespoons of water, can be used in place of whole eggs in almost any recipe. Perhaps the most important lesson we could learn from vegans is their thoughtfulness toward food. Vegans mindfully consider everything they eat. They study the fine print on food labels and pepper restaurant wait staff with questions. Many people consider a vegan lifestyle too extreme, but adopting a more thoughtful approach to what goes on your plate can be a giant first step toward a healthier diet.

Peter H

Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail To send an email to -

Now come on Fraggle me boy, some biscuits,cakes,crisps ( sorry potato chips ), margarines do contain saturated fat. And another thing, stop slagging off articles supporting veganism, I admit I do enjoy your responses ( probably the only real reason I post them ), but I hope that they encourage newer vegans. And another thing, which Orange county was this? And another thing............nah run out now. What you brewin lately? The Valle Vegan........... fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: *snip* "It's not hard to understand why. If you don't eat meat and cheese, you consume a lot less saturated fat and cholesterol. " well...no cholesterol at all....none..zilch...nada...actually *snip* "Many people consider a vegan lifestyle too extreme, but adopting a more thoughtful approach to what goes on your plate can be a giant first step toward a healthier diet." yes..and crackin open yer chest for triple by-pass surgery...thats a walk in the park.... *tosses paws in the air* peter hurd Feb 23, 2006 2:29 PM Re: Vegan diet holds lessons for others from the news & observer which covers wake, durham, orange,johnston & chatham wherever they are? Vegan diet holds lessons for others Havala Hobbs Story Tools Printer Friendly Email to a Friend Enlarge Font Decrease Font More Lifestyles Hale and hiking Catch rising stars Memoirist comes off the sidelines of celebrity Check It

Out Vegan diet holds lessons for others Seacrest becomes idol in his own right Suzanne Havala Hobbs, Correspondent Ever eat a cheeseless pizza or dunk a cookie into a glass of soymilk? For about one out of every 100 people, avoiding all animal products -- meat, fish, poultry, eggs and dairy products -- is second nature. They're vegan (VEE-gun) -- vegetarians who go a few steps farther than the rest. In fact, most vegans also steer clear of honey, and some avoid refined sugar (much of it is whitened with bone char). What motivates people to go to such extremes? Vegans are typically motivated by convictions about ecology, world hunger and animal rights. Any use of animals that exploits them or contributes to suffering is off-limits, and that extends to clothing and cosmetics, too. Vegans don't wear leather, wool or silk and they avoid makeup, shampoo and other household products made with animal ingredients or tested on

animals. Health reasons may be motivating factors, too, though they usually aren't the driving force. Vegans (and vegetarians) are less likely than nonvegetarians to be overweight, and they have lower rates of coronary artery disease. They have lower blood cholesterol levels and lower rates of high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, and prostate and colon cancer. It's not hard to understand why. If you don't eat meat and cheese, you consume a lot less saturated fat and cholesterol. Vegans don't eat ice cream or most commercial cakes and cookies (they contain eggs). Rule out mayo-laden sandwiches, milk chocolate and butter. Vegans avoid margarine made with casein (a milk protein) and pie crusts that contain milk solids. I've spent enough time with vegans to know another advantage: When you eat out as a vegan, you eat more healthful foods. Vegans eat more bulky, low-calorie foods, such as fruits and vegetables. They get more fiber, less fat and more of

the beneficial phytochemicals found in foods of plant origin. Instead of burgers and steaks, vegans gravitate toward Chinese restaurants where they fill up on hot and sour soup and big plates of vegetable stir-fry with steamed rice. Or they go for Indian or Ethiopian food -- heavy on vegetables and beans. Even if you're not a vegan, you could benefit from eating more vegan foods. Some great vegan products: * Veggie meat substitutes. I discussed these in a previous column, but it's worth repeating: Veggie burger patties, meatless hot dogs and cold cuts, sausages and bacon, and meatless burger crumbles that look like ground beef can be found in mainstream supermarkets and are far more healthful than their meat counterparts. They taste great, too. * Soymilk and rice milk. Fortified with calcium and vitamins A and D, they're better for your health than cow's milk. During the holidays, look for one of my favorite products: Silk brand eggnog made with soymilk.

It's delicious, and you can feel OK about drinking a large glass of it. * Egg replacer. Find Ener-G Egg Replacer in natural foods stores. Packed in a 1-pound box, the white powdery mixture of vegetable starches, mixed with a few tablespoons of water, can be used in place of whole eggs in almost any recipe. Perhaps the most important lesson we could learn from vegans is their thoughtfulness toward food. Vegans mindfully consider everything they eat. They study the fine print on food labels and pepper restaurant wait staff with questions. Many people consider a vegan lifestyle too extreme, but adopting a more thoughtful approach to what goes on your plate can be a giant first step toward a healthier diet. Peter H Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail To send an email to -

i didn't comment on the fat now did i silly britches?

and...if i just shut up, how much fun would that be...

ok..maybe it would be fun...dang

nuthin at the moment...kinda in limbo, as waiting to see if moving

which reminds me..gotta transfer the cider.... peter hurd Feb 23, 2006 11:51 AM Re: Vegan diet holds lessons for others

Now come on Fraggle me boy, some biscuits,cakes,crisps ( sorry potato chips ), margarines do contain saturated fat.

And another thing, stop slagging off articles supporting veganism, I admit I do enjoy your responses ( probably the only real reason I post them ), but I hope that they encourage newer vegans.

And another thing, which Orange county was this?

And another thing............nah run out now. What you brewin lately?

The Valle Vegan........... fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

*snip*

"It's not hard to understand why. If you don't eat meat and cheese, you consume a lot less saturated fat and cholesterol. "

well...no cholesterol at all....none..zilch...nada...actually

*snip*

"Many people consider a vegan lifestyle too extreme, but adopting a more thoughtful approach to what goes on your plate can be a giant first step toward a healthier diet."

yes..and crackin open yer chest for triple by-pass surgery...thats a walk in the park....

*tosses paws in the air* peter hurd Feb 23, 2006 2:29 PM Re: Vegan diet holds lessons for others

from the news & observer which covers wake, durham, orange,johnston & chatham wherever they are?

Havala Hobbs

Story Tools

Printer Friendly

Email to a Friend

Enlarge Font

Decrease Font More Lifestyles

Hale and hiking

Catch rising stars

Memoirist comes off the sidelines of celebrity

Check It Out

Seacrest becomes idol in his own right

Suzanne Havala Hobbs, Correspondent

Ever eat a cheeseless pizza or dunk a cookie into a glass of soymilk? For about one out of every 100 people, avoiding all animal products -- meat, fish, poultry, eggs and dairy products -- is second nature. They're vegan (VEE-gun) -- vegetarians who go a few steps farther than the rest. In fact, most vegans also steer clear of honey, and some avoid refined sugar (much of it is whitened with bone char). What motivates people to go to such extremes? Vegans are typically motivated by convictions about ecology, world hunger and animal rights. Any use of animals that exploits them or contributes to suffering is off-limits, and that extends to clothing and cosmetics, too. Vegans don't wear leather, wool or silk and they avoid makeup, shampoo and other household products made with animal ingredients or tested on animals. Health reasons may be motivating factors, too, though they usually aren't the driving force. Vegans (and vegetarians) are less likely than nonvegetarians to be overweight, and they have lower rates of coronary artery disease. They have lower blood cholesterol levels and lower rates of high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, and prostate and colon cancer. It's not hard to understand why. If you don't eat meat and cheese, you consume a lot less saturated fat and cholesterol. Vegans don't eat ice cream or most commercial cakes and cookies (they contain eggs). Rule out mayo-laden sandwiches, milk chocolate and butter. Vegans avoid margarine made with casein (a milk protein) and pie crusts that contain milk solids. I've spent enough time with vegans to know another advantage: When you eat out as a vegan, you eat more healthful foods. Vegans eat more bulky, low-calorie foods, such as fruits and vegetables. They get more fiber, less fat and more of the beneficial phytochemicals found in foods of plant origin. Instead of burgers and steaks, vegans gravitate toward Chinese restaurants where they fill up on hot and sour soup and big plates of vegetable stir-fry with steamed rice. Or they go for Indian or Ethiopian food -- heavy on vegetables and beans. Even if you're not a vegan, you could benefit from eating more vegan foods. Some great vegan products: * Veggie meat substitutes. I discussed these in a previous column, but it's worth repeating: Veggie burger patties, meatless hot dogs and cold cuts, sausages and bacon, and meatless burger crumbles that look like ground beef can be found in mainstream supermarkets and are far more healthful than their meat counterparts. They taste great, too. * Soymilk and rice milk. Fortified with calcium and vitamins A and D, they're better for your health than cow's milk. During the holidays, look for one of my favorite products: Silk brand eggnog made with soymilk. It's delicious, and you can feel OK about drinking a large glass of it. * Egg replacer. Find Ener-G Egg Replacer in natural foods stores. Packed in a 1-pound box, the white powdery mixture of vegetable starches, mixed with a few tablespoons of water, can be used in place of whole eggs in almost any recipe. Perhaps the most important lesson we could learn from vegans is their thoughtfulness toward food. Vegans mindfully consider everything they eat. They study the fine print on food labels and pepper restaurant wait staff with questions. Many people consider a vegan lifestyle too extreme, but adopting a more thoughtful approach to what goes on your plate can be a giant first step toward a healthier diet.

Peter H

Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail To send an email to -

• 3 weeks later...
Guest guest

Hi – Won’t talk much, just out

of the hospital AGAIN,

Is Splenda here stateside Vegan? Cynthia

On Behalf Of peter hurd

Thursday, February 23, 2006

2:29 PM

Re: Vegan

diet holds lessons for others

from the news & observer which covers wake, durham, orange,johnston & chatham

wherever they are?

Havala Hobbs

Story Tools

Printer

Friendly

Email

to a Friend

Enlarge

Font

Decrease

Font

More Lifestyles

Hale and hiking

Catch rising

stars

Memoirist comes

off the sidelines of celebrity

Check It Out

Vegan diet holds

lessons for others

Seacrest becomes

idol in his own right

Suzanne Havala Hobbs,

Correspondent

Ever eat a cheeseless pizza or dunk a cookie into a glass of soymilk?

For about one out of every 100 people, avoiding all animal products -- meat,

fish, poultry, eggs and dairy products -- is second nature.

They're vegan (VEE-gun) -- vegetarians who go a few steps farther than

the rest. In fact, most vegans also steer clear of honey, and some avoid

refined sugar (much of it is whitened with bone char).

What motivates people to go to such extremes?

Vegans are typically motivated by convictions about ecology, world

hunger and animal rights. Any use of animals that exploits them or contributes

to suffering is off-limits, and that extends to clothing and cosmetics, too.

Vegans don't wear leather, wool or silk and they avoid makeup, shampoo and

other household products made with animal ingredients or tested on animals.

Health reasons may be motivating factors, too, though they usually

aren't the driving force.

Vegans (and vegetarians) are less likely than nonvegetarians to be

overweight, and they have lower rates of coronary artery disease. They have

lower blood cholesterol levels and lower rates of high blood pressure, type 2

diabetes, and prostate and colon cancer.

It's not hard to understand why. If you don't eat meat and cheese, you

consume a lot less saturated fat and cholesterol.

Vegans don't eat ice cream or most commercial cakes and cookies (they

contain eggs). Rule out mayo-laden sandwiches, milk chocolate and butter.

Vegans avoid margarine made with casein (a milk protein) and pie crusts that contain

milk solids.

I've spent enough time with vegans to know another advantage: When you

eat out as a vegan, you eat more healthful foods. Vegans eat more bulky,

low-calorie foods, such as fruits and vegetables. They get more fiber, less fat

and more of the beneficial phytochemicals found in foods of plant origin.

Instead of burgers and steaks, vegans gravitate toward Chinese

restaurants where they fill up on hot and sour soup and big plates of vegetable

stir-fry with steamed rice. Or they go for Indian or Ethiopian food -- heavy on

vegetables and beans.

Even if you're not a vegan, you could benefit from eating more vegan

foods. Some great vegan products:

* Veggie meat substitutes. I discussed these in a previous column, but

it's worth repeating: Veggie burger patties, meatless hot dogs and cold cuts,

sausages and bacon, and meatless burger crumbles that look like ground beef can

be found in mainstream supermarkets and are far more healthful than their meat

counterparts. They taste great, too.

* Soymilk and rice milk. Fortified with calcium and vitamins A and D,

they're better for your health than cow's milk. During the holidays, look for

one of my favorite products: Silk brand eggnog made with soymilk. It's

delicious, and you can feel OK about drinking a large glass of it.

* Egg replacer. Find Ener-G Egg Replacer in natural foods stores. Packed

in a 1-pound box, the white powdery mixture of vegetable starches, mixed with a

few tablespoons of water, can be used in place of whole eggs in almost any

recipe.

Perhaps the most important lesson we could learn from vegans is their

thoughtfulness toward food. Vegans mindfully consider everything they eat. They

study the fine print on food labels and pepper restaurant wait staff with

questions.

Many people consider a vegan lifestyle too extreme, but adopting a more

thoughtful approach to what goes on your plate can be a giant first step toward

a healthier diet.

Peter H

Messenger NEW -

crystal clear PC to PC calling

worldwide with voicemail

Guest guest

Hi Cynthia

I am not sure about Splenda but I did want to say welcome back and

that I hope all is ok!

I'm sorry to hear you had another trip to the hospital.

Nikki :)

, " Cynthia Gadarian " <cgadarian

wrote:

>

> Hi - Won't talk much, just out of the hospital AGAIN,

>

>

>

> Is Splenda here stateside Vegan? Cynthia

>

Guest guest

hope things go better for you cynthia

i will tell ya that almost 13000 critters died in tests on splenda........... Cynthia Gadarian Mar 10, 2006 6:15 PM RE: Vegan diet holds lessons for others

Hi – Won’t talk much, just out of the hospital AGAIN,

Is Splenda here stateside Vegan? Cynthia

"NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security Agency may have read this email without warning, warrant, or notice. They may do this without any judicial or legislative oversight. You have no recourse nor protection save to call for the impeachment of the current President."

Guest guest

Yeesh. Yeesh.

<sound of large woman driving Mazda 3

back and forth over Splenda container>

Cynthia

On Behalf Of fraggle

Saturday, March 11, 2006

2:48 PM

RE: Vegan

diet holds lessons for others

hope things go better for you cynthia

i will tell ya that

almost 13000 critters died in tests on splenda...........

Cynthia Gadarian

Mar 10, 2006 6:15 PM

RE: Vegan diet holds lessons for others

Hi

– Won’t talk much, just out of the hospital AGAIN,

Is Splenda here stateside Vegan?

Cynthia

"NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security Agency may have read this email without warning, warrant, or notice. They may do this without any judicial or legislative oversight. You have no recourse nor protection save to call for the impeachment of the current President."