IndiaDivine.org

Warren couple fights cancer with Vegan diet

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Warren couple fights cancer with Vegan diet Chris Brown asks her husband, Barry Brown, to try a spoonful of a culinary creation. The couple adopted a vegetarian diet following Mr. Brown's cancer diagnosis.WARREN - In 1992 Barry Brown, 58, was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma and

given five years to live. Fourteen years later, he's still around, and credits much of his successful cancer story with a radically changed diet. He has been in clinical remission for the past five years. Both he and his wife Chris, 61, have become vegans, and believe it is a healthy diet choice. Ms. Brown has made her interest in all things vegetable into a new career path, with a business called "The Natural Choice." She currently holds cooking classes and consultations and cooks for folks in their homes. When he is not busy with his own practice working with people with chronic health problems or at work as a mental health manager, Mr. Brown likes to relax at home and play his guitar. The couple enjoy hiking in the area, or whenever possible, in the Southwest. Why vegan: Ms. Brown — "At our cancer support group we heard about macrobiotic diet and vegetarian diet being a possible cure for cancer, so we decided to change our diet. We just went

home and threw everything away and started over again." No guarantees: Ms. Brown — "Even after we realized that diet alone may not cure cancer, especially the type Barry has, we felt keeping his immune system strong would be important." Healthy eating: Mr. Brown — "We also had an enormous amount of health benefits." Ms. Brown — "We both had migraines, they went away." An opportunity: Mr. Brown — "In Chinese, there are two characters for the word crisis; danger and opportunity." Ms. Brown — "I think that's what happened to us. The crisis of his diagnosis was an opportunity for us to grow in ways we probably would not have." Vegans: Ms. Brown — "Vegans don't eat any dairy products at all; no eggs, cheese, or butter. Barry is a little stricter than I, he doesn't use any leather, I still have leather shoes." Environmental conscience: Mr. Brown — "A lot of it has to do with animal rights. We got very interested in the

environmental movement and the impact of raising animals on the environment. Ms. Brown — "It uses so much more resources and it creates more pollution." Music muse: Mr. Brown — "I was a professional musician for years, I still play out sometimes. We like world music, blues, folk music." Ms. Brown — "We like Brazilian music, and jazz, we have an eclectic collection of music." Spare time: Mr. Brown — "I play guitar, and hike, I like to write." Ms. Brown — "We like to travel and go to the movies or watch movies at home, and to spend time with family or friends, of course. I'm also always on the lookout for new recipes." Cook the tofu: Ms. Brown — "The way we eat, food gives us pleasure, which is really important. Some people have the idea healthy is boring or really bland; it can be really delicious." Mr. Brown — "You can't eat tofu raw, it's like coming home and pouring salt in a plate and eating that, no one would do that, it's an ingredient."

Spoon-feeding: Ms. Brown — "I do that a lot. Often he's playing his guitar in the other room and I'll go in with a spoonful of food, and I'll say, 'taste this.' " Go anywhere: Ms. Brown — "I'd like to travel around the world with Chris. Italy, France, Greece, Malta, those are the countries we would like to visit." Favorite books: Ms. Brown — "I read a lot of books about health and cooking and diet. When we go on vacation I like to read fiction." Mr. Brown — "I'm too busy to read much, but I read books about music and Buddhist literature." Lunch with anyone: Ms. Brown — "Louis Armstrong, I love his music." Mr. Brown — "The Buddha." Ms. Brown — "We're Buddhists." Philosophy of life: Ms. Brown — "I just think most people are really good; it's the old golden rule, you treat people the way you'd like to be treated, and I think that works for me." Mr. Brown — "I think there's only two paths; one of them is love, and the

other one is fear, and we always have a choice which one we choose to go down." Soup for breakfast Barry and Chris Brown have had the same breakfast for over a decade. The couple radically changed their diet after Mr. Brown was diagnosed with cancer in 1992. "We start off each day with the same breakfast we have had for 14 years; a bowl of grains – brown rice, a millet, or oatmeal – and a bowl of vegetable miso soup," Mr. Brown said. "The first time I looked at this, I said, 'This isn't breakfast. When we changed the diet it was as strange for us as it would be for other people." By Cindy VanSchalkwyk Peter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.

Guest guest

That's a good story.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 8:00 PM

Re: Warren couple fights cancer with Vegan diet

Warren couple fights cancer with Vegan diet

Chris Brown asks her husband, Barry Brown, to try a spoonful of a culinary creation. The couple adopted a vegetarian diet following Mr. Brown's cancer diagnosis.WARREN - In 1992 Barry Brown, 58, was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma and given five years to live. Fourteen years later, he's still around, and credits much of his successful cancer story with a radically changed diet. He has been in clinical remission for the past five years.

Both he and his wife Chris, 61, have become vegans, and believe it is a healthy diet choice. Ms. Brown has made her interest in all things vegetable into a new career path, with a business called "The Natural Choice." She currently holds cooking classes and consultations and cooks for folks in their homes. When he is not busy with his own practice working with people with chronic health problems or at work as a mental health manager, Mr. Brown likes to relax at home and play his guitar. The couple enjoy hiking in the area, or whenever possible, in the Southwest.

Why vegan: Ms. Brown — "At our cancer support group we heard about macrobiotic diet and vegetarian diet being a possible cure for cancer, so we decided to change our diet. We just went home and threw everything away and started over again."

No guarantees: Ms. Brown — "Even after we realized that diet alone may not cure cancer, especially the type Barry has, we felt keeping his immune system strong would be important."

Healthy eating: Mr. Brown — "We also had an enormous amount of health benefits." Ms. Brown — "We both had migraines, they went away."

An opportunity: Mr. Brown — "In Chinese, there are two characters for the word crisis; danger and opportunity." Ms. Brown — "I think that's what happened to us. The crisis of his diagnosis was an opportunity for us to grow in ways we probably would not have."

Vegans: Ms. Brown — "Vegans don't eat any dairy products at all; no eggs, cheese, or butter. Barry is a little stricter than I, he doesn't use any leather, I still have leather shoes."

Environmental conscience: Mr. Brown — "A lot of it has to do with animal rights. We got very interested in the environmental movement and the impact of raising animals on the environment. Ms. Brown — "It uses so much more resources and it creates more pollution."

Music muse: Mr. Brown — "I was a professional musician for years, I still play out sometimes. We like world music, blues, folk music." Ms. Brown — "We like Brazilian music, and jazz, we have an eclectic collection of music."

Spare time: Mr. Brown — "I play guitar, and hike, I like to write." Ms. Brown — "We like to travel and go to the movies or watch movies at home, and to spend time with family or friends, of course. I'm also always on the lookout for new recipes."

Cook the tofu: Ms. Brown — "The way we eat, food gives us pleasure, which is really important. Some people have the idea healthy is boring or really bland; it can be really delicious." Mr. Brown — "You can't eat tofu raw, it's like coming home and pouring salt in a plate and eating that, no one would do that, it's an ingredient."

Spoon-feeding: Ms. Brown — "I do that a lot. Often he's playing his guitar in the other room and I'll go in with a spoonful of food, and I'll say, 'taste this.' "

Go anywhere: Ms. Brown — "I'd like to travel around the world with Chris. Italy, France, Greece, Malta, those are the countries we would like to visit."

Favorite books: Ms. Brown — "I read a lot of books about health and cooking and diet. When we go on vacation I like to read fiction." Mr. Brown — "I'm too busy to read much, but I read books about music and Buddhist literature."

Lunch with anyone: Ms. Brown — "Louis Armstrong, I love his music." Mr. Brown — "The Buddha." Ms. Brown — "We're Buddhists."

Philosophy of life: Ms. Brown — "I just think most people are really good; it's the old golden rule, you treat people the way you'd like to be treated, and I think that works for me." Mr. Brown — "I think there's only two paths; one of them is love, and the other one is fear, and we always have a choice which one we choose to go down."

Soup for breakfast

Barry and Chris Brown have had the same breakfast for over a decade. The couple radically changed their diet after Mr. Brown was diagnosed with cancer in 1992. "We start off each day with the same breakfast we have had for 14 years; a bowl of grains – brown rice, a millet, or oatmeal – and a bowl of vegetable miso soup," Mr. Brown said. "The first time I looked at this, I said, 'This isn't breakfast. When we changed the diet it was as strange for us as it would be for other people."

By Cindy VanSchalkwyk

Peter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest

Sorry – remembered something else –

going senile –

What is the label for a cancer medical practitioner

of the kind that treats you medically as a doctor and also treats you with

diet, exercise, lifestyle changes, acupuncture, biofeedback, etc.? One who

does not limit their medical choices to “get the drugs”?? Cynthia

On Behalf Of peter hurd

Wednesday, March 01, 2006 3:00

PM

Re: Warren couple fights

cancer with Vegan diet

Warren

couple fights cancer with Vegan diet

Chris Brown asks

her husband, Barry Brown, to try a spoonful of a culinary creation. The

couple adopted a vegetarian diet following Mr. Brown's cancer diagnosis.

WARREN

- In 1992 Barry Brown, 58, was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma and given

five years to live. Fourteen years later, he's still around, and credits much

of his successful cancer story with a radically changed diet. He has been in

clinical remission for the past five years.

Both he and his wife Chris, 61, have become vegans,

and believe it is a healthy diet choice. Ms. Brown has made her interest in

all things vegetable into a new career path, with a business called " The

Natural Choice. " She currently holds cooking classes and consultations

and cooks for folks in their homes. When he is not busy with his own practice

working with people with chronic health problems or at work as a mental

health manager, Mr. Brown likes to relax at home and play his guitar. The

couple enjoy hiking in the area, or whenever possible, in the Southwest.

Why vegan: Ms. Brown — " At our cancer

support group we heard about macrobiotic diet and vegetarian diet being a

possible cure for cancer, so we decided to change our diet. We just went home

and threw everything away and started over again. "

No guarantees: Ms. Brown — " Even after we

realized that diet alone may not cure cancer, especially the type Barry has,

we felt keeping his immune system strong would be important. "

Healthy eating: Mr. Brown — " We also had

an enormous amount of health benefits. " Ms. Brown — " We both

had migraines, they went away. "

An opportunity: Mr. Brown — " In Chinese,

there are two characters for the word crisis; danger and opportunity. "

Ms. Brown — " I think that's what happened to us. The crisis of his

diagnosis was an opportunity for us to grow in ways we probably would not

have. "

Vegans: Ms. Brown — " Vegans don't eat any

dairy products at all; no eggs, cheese, or butter. Barry is a little stricter

than I, he doesn't use any leather, I still have leather shoes. "

Environmental conscience: Mr. Brown — " A

lot of it has to do with animal rights. We got very interested in the

environmental movement and the impact of raising animals on the environment.

Ms. Brown — " It uses so much more resources and it creates more

pollution. "

Music muse: Mr. Brown — " I was a

professional musician for years, I still play out sometimes. We like world

music, blues, folk music. " Ms. Brown — " We like Brazilian

music, and jazz, we have an eclectic collection of music. "

Spare time: Mr. Brown — " I play guitar,

and hike, I like to write. " Ms. Brown — " We like to travel

and go to the movies or watch movies at home, and to spend time with family

or friends, of course. I'm also always on the lookout for new recipes. "

Cook the tofu: Ms. Brown — " The way we eat,

food gives us pleasure, which is really important. Some people have the idea

healthy is boring or really bland; it can be really delicious. " Mr.

Brown — " You can't eat tofu raw, it's like coming home and pouring

salt in a plate and eating that, no one would do that, it's an

ingredient. "

Spoon-feeding: Ms. Brown — " I do that a

lot. Often he's playing his guitar in the other room and I'll go in with a

spoonful of food, and I'll say, 'taste this.' "

Go anywhere: Ms. Brown — " I'd like to

travel around the world with Chris. Italy,

France, Greece, Malta, those are the countries we

would like to visit. "

Favorite books: Ms. Brown — " I read a lot

of books about health and cooking and diet. When we go on vacation I like to

read fiction. " Mr. Brown — " I'm too busy to read much, but I

read books about music and Buddhist literature. "

Lunch with anyone: Ms. Brown — " Louis

Armstrong, I love his music. " Mr. Brown — " The Buddha. "

Ms. Brown — " We're Buddhists. "

Philosophy of life: Ms. Brown — " I just

think most people are really good; it's the old golden rule, you treat people

the way you'd like to be treated, and I think that works for me. " Mr.

Brown — " I think there's only two paths; one of them is love, and

the other one is fear, and we always have a choice which one we choose to go

down. "

Soup for breakfast

Barry and Chris Brown have had the same breakfast

for over a decade. The couple radically changed their diet after Mr. Brown

was diagnosed with cancer in 1992. " We start off each day with the same

breakfast we have had for 14 years; a bowl of grains – brown rice, a

millet, or oatmeal – and a bowl of vegetable miso soup, " Mr. Brown

said. " The first time I looked at this, I said, 'This isn't breakfast.

When we changed the diet it was as strange for us as it would be for other

people. "

By Cindy VanSchalkwyk

Peter H

To help you stay safe and secure

online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.