IndiaDivine.org

Best Vegan Cuisine

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi all,

I was just wondering about the BEST VEGAN CUISINE available.

American cuisine can never come near it, that's because people here predominantly use stuff like CHEESE.

What other cuisine can come close to a perfect vegan cuisine, with just slight changes.

The one which came to my mind was INDIAN CUISINE(though there are lots of sub-cuisines, am taking it as a whole).

I am someone from INDIA(just for information, I don't mean to say

anything more), and I was a big time meat eater for 20 years. I am 22

now, and the last two years have been great times in my life, yup great

vegan times. The transformation has been kind of simple, yup, all I had

to do was stop eating meat, and stop using yogurt. Indian cuisine is

predominantly Vegetarian, and they seldom use stuff like cheese. Yup,

they use milk and butter, but that's only for sweets. I think that its

very easy if you have the will power to change from a meat eater to a

human being, and if you are someone using the INDIAN recipes. I just

wanted to know if there is some other cuisine, which is kinda more

easier or very close to INDIAN cuisine.

Thanks for reading,

Shiva

-- ShivaGraduate Student,State University of New York,Binghamtonhttp://www.shiv.co.nrTo ease another's heartache is to forget one's own.

Guest guest

I know English (or Scottish or Welsh) food doesn't appeal much to the rest of the world, but a lot of our dishes are easy to alter. We substitute red lentils, beans, nuts and tofu for the meat content. Some dishes like cottage pie which might normally have cheese on top are just as good without the cheese - or vegan cheese can be used.

I guess it is easier to alter the foods you know.

Jo

-

Shiva K

Monday, March 20, 2006 7:12 PM

Best Vegan Cuisine

Hi all,I was just wondering about the BEST VEGAN CUISINE available.American cuisine can never come near it, that's because people here predominantly use stuff like CHEESE.What other cuisine can come close to a perfect vegan cuisine, with just slight changes.The one which came to my mind was INDIAN CUISINE(though there are lots of sub-cuisines, am taking it as a whole).I am someone from INDIA(just for information, I don't mean to say anything more), and I was a big time meat eater for 20 years. I am 22 now, and the last two years have been great times in my life, yup great vegan times. The transformation has been kind of simple, yup, all I had to do was stop eating meat, and stop using yogurt. Indian cuisine is predominantly Vegetarian, and they seldom use stuff like cheese. Yup, they use milk and butter, but that's only for sweets. I think that its very easy if you have the will power to change from a meat eater to a human being, and if you are someone using the INDIAN recipes. I just wanted to know if there is some other cuisine, which is kinda more easier or very close to INDIAN cuisine.Thanks for reading,Shiva-- ShivaGraduate Student,State University of New York,Binghamtonhttp://www.shiv.co.nrTo ease another's heartache is to forget one's own.

Guest guest

hi shiva... i am hoping to get to gujarat june july or august because often the people are 90% vegetarian and indian food is the tops... and i wanna connect with my spiritual side again...

on the down side to indian food... a little too oily... not enough colour and salad type stuff...

if i make this trip it will be my third trip to india... i love the place... also i wanna get to goat to let my long grey hair down...

had a friend just come back from the states... he reckons its all a little on the fast food side...

i teach vegan cooking and the best recipes come from the world over... including the usa who are great when it comes to raw food prepared foods...

vegan food? its all great... i go for colour like the rainbow to value what i eat...

peace

colinnz

-

Shiva K

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 7:12 AM

Best Vegan Cuisine

Hi all,I was just wondering about the BEST VEGAN CUISINE available.American cuisine can never come near it, that's because people here predominantly use stuff like CHEESE.What other cuisine can come close to a perfect vegan cuisine, with just slight changes.The one which came to my mind was INDIAN CUISINE(though there are lots of sub-cuisines, am taking it as a whole).I am someone from INDIA(just for information, I don't mean to say anything more), and I was a big time meat eater for 20 years. I am 22 now, and the last two years have been great times in my life, yup great vegan times. The transformation has been kind of simple, yup, all I had to do was stop eating meat, and stop using yogurt. Indian cuisine is predominantly Vegetarian, and they seldom use stuff like cheese. Yup, they use milk and butter, but that's only for sweets. I think that its very easy if you have the will power to change from a meat eater to a human being, and if you are someone using the INDIAN recipes. I just wanted to know if there is some other cuisine, which is kinda more easier or very close to INDIAN cuisine.Thanks for reading,Shiva-- ShivaGraduate Student,State University of New York,Binghamtonhttp://www.shiv.co.nrTo ease another's heartache is to forget one's own.

Guest guest

i think almost anything can be made vegan....imagination is your only limiting factor....

now..if you mean which traditional style of food is closest to vegan in basis....

depends....

most asian cuisines are pretty dang close to the mark...

heck..most "third world" indigenous traditions are for that matter...

until recently, it was dang expensive to raise meat animals....so, ppl only, ahem, killed something, to celebrate some festival, or a gathering, or wotever(how nice...happy birthday jesus! lets go kill something to celebrate!)....

lotsa cultures used a small bit of meat..but this can be easily supstituted with tofu, or wotever...

Shiva K Mar 20, 2006 2:12 PM Best Vegan Cuisine Hi all,I was just wondering about the BEST VEGAN CUISINE available.American cuisine can never come near it, that's because people here predominantly use stuff like CHEESE.What other cuisine can come close to a perfect vegan cuisine, with just slight changes.The one which came to my mind was INDIAN CUISINE(though there are lots of sub-cuisines, am taking it as a whole).I am someone from INDIA(just for information, I don't mean to say anything more), and I was a big time meat eater for 20 years. I am 22 now, and the last two years have been great times in my life, yup great vegan times. The transformation has been kind of simple, yup, all I had to do was stop eating meat, and stop using yogurt. Indian cuisine is predominantly Vegetarian, and they seldom use stuff like cheese. Yup, they use milk and butter, but that's only for sweets. I think that its very easy if you have the will power to change from a meat eater to a human being, and if you are someone using the INDIAN recipes. I just wanted to know if there is some other cuisine, which is kinda more easier or very close to INDIAN cuisine.Thanks for reading,Shiva-- ShivaGraduate Student,State University of New York,Binghamtonhttp://www.shiv.co.nrTo ease another's heartache is to forget one's own. To send an email to -

Guest guest

even when i was an ill-informed lout, just never could get into haggis....

it would stain me kilt somethin 'orrid! jo Mar 20, 2006 3:39 PM Re: Best Vegan Cuisine

I know English (or Scottish or Welsh) food doesn't appeal much to the rest of the world, but a lot of our dishes are easy to alter. We substitute red lentils, beans, nuts and tofu for the meat content. Some dishes like cottage pie which might normally have cheese on top are just as good without the cheese - or vegan cheese can be used.

I guess it is easier to alter the foods you know.

Jo

-

Shiva K

Monday, March 20, 2006 7:12 PM

Best Vegan Cuisine

Hi all,I was just wondering about the BEST VEGAN CUISINE available.American cuisine can never come near it, that's because people here predominantly use stuff like CHEESE.What other cuisine can come close to a perfect vegan cuisine, with just slight changes.The one which came to my mind was INDIAN CUISINE(though there are lots of sub-cuisines, am taking it as a whole).I am someone from INDIA(just for information, I don't mean to say anything more), and I was a big time meat eater for 20 years. I am 22 now, and the last two years have been great times in my life, yup great vegan times. The transformation has been kind of simple, yup, all I had to do was stop eating meat, and stop using yogurt. Indian cuisine is predominantly Vegetarian, and they seldom use stuff like cheese. Yup, they use milk and butter, but that's only for sweets. I think that its very easy if you have the will power to change from a meat eater to a human being, and if you are someone using the INDIAN recipes. I just wanted to know if there is some other cuisine, which is kinda more easier or very close to INDIAN cuisine.Thanks for reading,Shiva-- ShivaGraduate Student,State University of New York,Binghamtonhttp://www.shiv.co.nrTo ease another's heartache is to forget one's own. To send an email to -

Guest guest

hi shiva,

i do love indian cousine, just last night we had indian food.

and this time it was just way too spicy for me :}

what I like about indian food is their varied use of spices

to answer your question,

I believe that a culture that comes close to veganism is the

Okinawans, from the okinawa, japan.

they have a vegan diet, except for fish. dairy is unheard of.

They also have the largest percentage of centenarians. (active ones)

and Cancer and Diabetes are very rare in that culture.

there is a book out on the things that they eat. (recipes)

Guest guest

Hey all,Thanks for your replies.Have learn so much about the other cuisines.Yup, INDIAN cuisine is generally oily and spicy. Its very hot. I mean real hot. You wouldn't get those kinds of food in the restaurants(in the STATES).

I cook for myself, and I find it really easy. Will try to learn some Japanese & English recipes.Thanks,ShivaOn 3/21/06, Anouk Sickler

<zurumato wrote:

hi shiva,

i do love indian cousine, just last night we had indian food.

and this time it was just way too spicy for me :}

what I like about indian food is their varied use of spices

to answer your question,

I believe that a culture that comes close to veganism is the

Okinawans, from the okinawa, japan.

they have a vegan diet, except for fish. dairy is unheard of.

They also have the largest percentage of centenarians. (active ones)

and Cancer and Diabetes are very rare in that culture.

there is a book out on the things that they eat. (recipes)

To send an email to -

Guest guest

Hi colin,

you are very lucky to have gone to india.

someday i too will go there, i want to learn

to learn from people that are wiser than me.

to listen

to change

to embody peace

to experience heaven

to touch a star with my hand

while here on earth

to cry at the magic of secrets undiscovered

and if i leave my body, i will smile down

and make it all better for everyone with a kiss from the light

that shines in my heart.

, " Colin Sky " <colinsky wrote:

>

> hi shiva... i am hoping to get to gujarat june july or august

Guest guest

There are vegan haggis' although I haven't had one. The last time I

had haggis I was an omnivore :-( It was okay but not one of my

favourite foods.

Jo

Fraggle wrote: even when i was an ill-informed lout, just never could

get into haggis....

it would stain me kilt somethin 'orrid!

Guest guest

Hi Shiva

If you ever have time to trawl through the old posts on this list

there are lots and lots of recipes.

Jo

, " Shiva K " <shgroups wrote:

>

> Hey all,

> Thanks for your replies.

> Have learn so much about the other cuisines.

> Yup, INDIAN cuisine is generally oily and spicy. Its very hot. I

mean real

> hot. You wouldn't get those kinds of food in the restaurants(in the

STATES).

> I cook for myself, and I find it really easy. Will try to learn some

> Japanese & English recipes.

> Thanks,

> Shiva

>

>

>

> On 3/21/06, Anouk Sickler <zurumato wrote:

> >

> > hi shiva,

> >

> > i do love indian cousine, just last night we had indian food.

> > and this time it was just way too spicy for me :}

> >

> > what I like about indian food is their varied use of spices

> >

> > to answer your question,

> >

> > I believe that a culture that comes close to veganism is the

> > Okinawans, from the okinawa, japan.

> >

> > they have a vegan diet, except for fish. dairy is unheard of.

> >

> > They also have the largest percentage of centenarians. (active

ones)

> >

> > and Cancer and Diabetes are very rare in that culture.

> >

> > there is a book out on the things that they eat. (recipes)

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > To send an email to -

> >

> >

> >

> >

Guest guest

iv tryed this too but did not like it lo heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote: There are vegan haggis' although I haven't had one. The last time I had haggis I was an omnivore :-( It was okay but not one of my favourite foods.JoFraggle wrote: even when i was an ill-informed lout, just never could get into haggis....it would stain me kilt somethin 'orrid!

Photos – NEW, now offering a quality print service from just 8p a photo.

Guest guest

only had haggis a few times.......waayyyyyyyy long ago

can't say i like it

so..in no hurry to run out and get vegan haggis

i MAY have tried vegan haggis before...i think i did...but truly can not recall

but

http://store.foodfightgrocery.com/veganhaggis.html

http://www.macsween.co.uk/veg_haggis.htm

and..

tho..a knob of margarine????

Vegan Haggis

This impressive dish will be a triumph at your Burns Night supper.

Recipe for Vegan Haggis, contributed by Mike Lewis

The haggis is Scotland's most famous contribution to the culinary arts. Vegetarians who know what it contains would leave the country rather than risk eating it, but fortunately we have found an excellent vegan version which is not only healthier than the original, it tastes a lot better too.

Haggis is, of course, the centerpiece of the traditional Burns Night supper, held each year on January 25. It is served amid much pomp and ceremony - not to mention whisky. It is usually eaten with mashed potato and neeps (rutabaga), the two vegetables often being mashed together with a liberal dose of ground pepper.

This recipe can be prepared in advance, ready to bake before serving. The quantities are for four people, but don't worry if the servings look small - the dish is very filling.

½ cup (3 oz, 75 g) fine oatmeal (the pinhead variety works best) 2/3 cup (4 oz, 110g) of brown or green lentils 1 large onion, chopped 1 tbsp. vegetable oil 2 large carrots, finely grated 4 to 6 mushrooms, sliced 1 tsp. ground spices (your choice of cumin, turmeric, paprika or nutmeg, in any combination) 1 tbsp. soy sauce One 14-oz (400 g) can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced Salt and pepper to taste Knob of dairy-free margarine

Oven: Pre-heat to 375F (190C)

Put the oatmeal in a bowl and cover with water. Let it stand for at least an hour. Drain thoroughly.

Place the lentils in a pan of water and boil rapidly for 20 - 30 minutes or until soft (the time will vary according to the type of lentils). When the lentils are ready, drain and rinse them in a sieve.

Sautée the onion in the oil until it is soft. Add the carrots and mushrooms, and cook for a little longer. Then add the spices, soy sauce, cooked lentils and about a quarter of the kidney beans.

Using a food processor or blender, purée the remainder of the beans to form a thick paste (add a little water if necessary to prevent it getting too stiff). Add this to the lentil and vegetable mixture.

Finally, add the drained oatmeal, salt and pepper, and the garlic. If the mixture looks too dry, add the margarine. Mix well.

Transfer to an oven-proof dish and bake for 30 to 40 minutes. louis stott Mar 21, 2006 9:54 AM Re: Re: Best Vegan Cuisine iv tryed this too but did not like it lo heartwerk <jo.heartwork wrote:

There are vegan haggis' although I haven't had one. The last time I had haggis I was an omnivore :-( It was okay but not one of my favourite foods.JoFraggle wrote: even when i was an ill-informed lout, just never could get into haggis....it would stain me kilt somethin 'orrid!

Photos NEW, now offering a quality print service from just 8p a photo. To send an email to -

Guest guest

Hey Anouk, you realy are a little bright light arent you, that was very nice. The Valley Vegan.................Anouk Sickler <zurumato wrote: Hi colin, you are very lucky to have gone to india. someday i too will go there, i want to learnto learn from people that are wiser than me.to listento changeto embody peaceto experience heaven to touch a star with my handwhile here on earth to cry at the magic of secrets undiscoveredand if i leave my body, i will smile down and make it all better for everyone with a kiss from the light that shines in my heart. , "Colin Sky" wrote:>> hi shiva... i am hoping to get to gujarat june july or august

To send an email to -

Guest guest

Hey fellow human beings,Thank you very much for the posts.ShivaOn 3/21/06, peter hurd <swpgh01

> wrote:

Hey Anouk, you realy are a little bright light arent you, that was very nice. The Valley Vegan.................

Anouk Sickler <zurumato wrote:

Hi colin, you are very lucky to have gone to india. someday i too will go there, i want to learnto learn from people that are wiser than me.to listento changeto embody peaceto experience heaven to touch a star with my handwhile here on earth to cry at the magic of secrets undiscoveredand if i leave my body, i will smile down and make it all better for everyone with a kiss from the light that shines in my heart.

, " Colin Sky " wrote:

>> hi shiva... i am hoping to get to gujarat june july or august

To send an email to -