Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

i have not check in a while,

the flu came to my house.

anyway my question is

I was gardening outside, removing some leaves from my roses,

my neighbor walks by who is a bit nosey, keeps telling me that I need

to buy cow manure, horse manure, chicken manure, and so on.

" chicken manure did wonders for my tomatoes "

this is not the first time she has mentioned it.

I don't know a lot about gardening, but is it vegan to use these

products?

Guest guest

Anouk Sickler wrote:

> i have not check in a while,

> the flu came to my house.

>

> anyway my question is

> I was gardening outside, removing some leaves from my roses,

>

> my neighbor walks by who is a bit nosey, keeps telling me that I need

> to buy cow manure, horse manure, chicken manure, and so on.

> " chicken manure did wonders for my tomatoes "

>

> this is not the first time she has mentioned it.

>

> I don't know a lot about gardening, but is it vegan to use these

> products?

Yes. What do you think organic gardeners use for fertilizer?

serene

Guest guest

sorry serene....technically, if it came from animal, it can't be vegan...

wot farmers do out in the field, i really can't have control over..but wot i do

in my own garden, i have 100% control over(exept for pollution, neighbors,

wandering cats, skylab falling on it, etc)

there are a number of vegan fertilizers on the market, if you need t o go the

pre-packaged root...

er, you can do any number of other things....

green manures

kitchen and yard compost

worm vermiculture

companion plantings

compost teas

etc and so forth

>Serene <serene

>Apr 3, 2006 1:56 PM

>

>Re: man

>Yes. What do you think organic gardeners use for fertilizer?

>

>serene

>

>

>To send an email to -

>

Guest guest

fraggle wrote:

> sorry serene....technically, if it came from animal, it can't be vegan...

That's just silly. We're not EATING the manure.

Worm vermiculture is vegan?

serene

Guest guest

yer not eating leather, fur coats, er musks either...

milk based paints

isinglass in english beers(you technically aren't drining it...)

non vegetable based candles

hand creams

shampoos

feather pillows/mattresses

etc and so forth

i would guess vermiculture is one of those gray areas of veganism....

are you exploiting the worm keepin them in a bin under the kitchen sink so they

can eat yer scraps???

i guess it depends on how far you take yer veganny steps....

>Serene <serene

>Apr 3, 2006 2:18 PM

>

>Re: manure?

>

>fraggle wrote:

>> sorry serene....technically, if it came from animal, it can't be vegan...

>

>That's just silly. We're not EATING the manure.

>

>Worm vermiculture is vegan?

>

>serene

>

>

>To send an email to -

>

Guest guest

Hi Serene

> > sorry serene....technically, if it came from animal, it can't be

vegan...

> That's just silly. We're not EATING the manure.

Since when was veganism restricted to what we eat?

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Thanks!

, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

>

> yer not eating leather, fur coats, er musks either...

> milk based paints

> isinglass in english beers(you technically aren't drining it...)

> non vegetable based candles

> hand creams

> shampoos

> feather pillows/mattresses

> etc and so forth

>

>

> i would guess vermiculture is one of those gray areas of veganism....

> are you exploiting the worm keepin them in a bin under the kitchen

sink so they can eat yer scraps???

> i guess it depends on how far you take yer veganny steps....

>

>

> >Serene <serene

> >Apr 3, 2006 2:18 PM

> >

> >Re: manure?

> >

> >fraggle wrote:

> >> sorry serene....technically, if it came from animal, it can't be

vegan...

> >

> >That's just silly. We're not EATING the manure.

> >

> >Worm vermiculture is vegan?

> >

> >serene

> >

> >

> >To send an email to -

> >

Guest guest

organic gardeners use animal product like manure.

better is veganic gardening which doesn't, but uses composts, vegetable nutrients, and mulches etc. instead of.

i have been a veganic gardener for at least 10 years. though i think it is acceptable to use a dead animal for compost that has died naturally...

peace

colin

-

Anouk Sickler

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 8:10 AM

manure?

i have not check in a while, the flu came to my house. anyway my question is I was gardening outside, removing some leaves from my roses,my neighbor walks by who is a bit nosey, keeps telling me that I needto buy cow manure, horse manure, chicken manure, and so on."chicken manure did wonders for my tomatoes" this is not the first time she has mentioned it. I don't know a lot about gardening, but is it vegan to use theseproducts?

Guest guest

hi peter,

i think I see serene's point of view,

if I had a chicken santuary were chickens would be rescued,

then I probably wouldn't mind using their poop to fertilize

my tomatoes.

I would ask them first of course heee heee.

although, i don't know

seems kinda gross.

come to think of it my dog sometimes fertilizes my front lawn. :)

, " Peter " <metalscarab wrote:

>

> Hi Serene

>

> > That's just silly. We're not EATING the manure.

>

> Since when was veganism restricted to what we eat?

>

> BB

> Peter

>

Guest guest

I doubt it as it is an animal by-product, and probably comes from a farm where the animals are being enslaved and exploited.Unfortunately traditionally gardening has always involved poultry manure/horse or cow manure, as well as such "goodies" as blood fish and bone etc! A good fertiliser ( if used sparingly ) is seaweed fertiliser. Liquid seaweed fertiliser This is one of the best organic fertilisers you can get. It's made up of lovely seaweed found in colder seaside climates, not the grassy trash around here. It's fantastic not so much for NPK, but for the micronutrients and trace elements not often found in most of the fertilisers above. We use a capful of concentrated seaweed fertiliser with a litre of water to dilute it. Sprayed onto the leaves early in the morning it is absorbed to give a real boost. You can also give a bit of a spray at ground level onto the mulch where it will

eventually seep down to the roots. One fertiliser you've got to have. The Valley Vegan............ Anouk Sickler <zurumato wrote: i have not check in a while, the flu came to my house. anyway my question is I was gardening outside, removing some leaves from my roses,my neighbor walks by who is a bit nosey, keeps telling me that I needto buy cow manure, horse manure, chicken manure, and so on."chicken manure did wonders for my tomatoes" this is not the first time she has mentioned it. I don't know a lot about gardening, but is it vegan to use theseproducts?To send an email to -

Links<*> /<*>

Guest guest

My favourite is nettles. Pulled up and put in a bucket - boiling water poured on them and then left for a few days until they stink like mad. Makes a very good fertiliser.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 6:43 PM

Re: manure?

I doubt it as it is an animal by-product, and probably comes from a farm where the animals are being enslaved and exploited.Unfortunately traditionally gardening has always involved poultry manure/horse or cow manure, as well as such "goodies" as blood fish and bone etc!

A good fertiliser ( if used sparingly ) is seaweed fertiliser.

Liquid seaweed fertiliser

This is one of the best organic fertilisers you can get. It's made up of lovely seaweed found in colder seaside climates, not the grassy trash around here. It's fantastic not so much for NPK, but for the micronutrients and trace elements not often found in most of the fertilisers above. We use a capful of concentrated seaweed fertiliser with a litre of water to dilute it. Sprayed onto the leaves early in the morning it is absorbed to give a real boost. You can also give a bit of a spray at ground level onto the mulch where it will eventually seep down to the roots. One fertiliser you've got to have.

The Valley Vegan............

Anouk Sickler <zurumato wrote:

i have not check in a while, the flu came to my house. anyway my question is I was gardening outside, removing some leaves from my roses,my neighbor walks by who is a bit nosey, keeps telling me that I needto buy cow manure, horse manure, chicken manure, and so on."chicken manure did wonders for my tomatoes" this is not the first time she has mentioned it. I don't know a lot about gardening, but is it vegan to use theseproducts?To send an email to -

Guest guest

Do you also eat the young tips? The Valley Vegan..............jo <jo.heartwork wrote: My favourite is nettles. Pulled up and put in a bucket - boiling water poured on them and then left for a few days until they stink like mad. Makes a very good fertiliser. Jo - peter hurd Tuesday, April 04, 2006 6:43 PM Re: manure? I doubt it as it is an animal by-product, and probably comes from a farm where the animals are being enslaved and exploited.Unfortunately traditionally gardening has always involved poultry manure/horse or cow manure, as well as such "goodies" as blood fish and bone etc! A good fertiliser ( if used sparingly ) is seaweed fertiliser. Liquid seaweed fertiliser This is one of the best organic fertilisers you can get. It's made up of lovely seaweed found in colder seaside climates, not the grassy trash

around here. It's fantastic not so much for NPK, but for the micronutrients and trace elements not often found in most of the fertilisers above. We use a capful of concentrated seaweed fertiliser with a litre of water to dilute it. Sprayed onto the leaves early in the morning it is absorbed to give a real boost. You can also give a bit of a spray at ground level onto the mulch where it will eventually seep down to the roots. One fertiliser you've got to have. The Valley Vegan............ Anouk Sickler <zurumato wrote: i have not check in a while, the flu came to my house. anyway my question is I was gardening outside, removing some leaves from my roses,my neighbor walks by who is a bit nosey, keeps telling me that I

needto buy cow manure, horse manure, chicken manure, and so on."chicken manure did wonders for my tomatoes" this is not the first time she has mentioned it. I don't know a lot about gardening, but is it vegan to use theseproducts?To send an email to -

Guest guest

Occasionally - I'm growing a special crop for that this year - and a crop for the caterpillar's/butterflies.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 7:24 PM

Do you also eat the young tips?

The Valley Vegan..............jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

My favourite is nettles. Pulled up and put in a bucket - boiling water poured on them and then left for a few days until they stink like mad. Makes a very good fertiliser.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 6:43 PM

I doubt it as it is an animal by-product, and probably comes from a farm where the animals are being enslaved and exploited.Unfortunately traditionally gardening has always involved poultry manure/horse or cow manure, as well as such "goodies" as blood fish and bone etc!

A good fertiliser ( if used sparingly ) is seaweed fertiliser.

Liquid seaweed fertiliser

This is one of the best organic fertilisers you can get. It's made up of lovely seaweed found in colder seaside climates, not the grassy trash around here. It's fantastic not so much for NPK, but for the micronutrients and trace elements not often found in most of the fertilisers above. We use a capful of concentrated seaweed fertiliser with a litre of water to dilute it. Sprayed onto the leaves early in the morning it is absorbed to give a real boost. You can also give a bit of a spray at ground level onto the mulch where it will eventually seep down to the roots. One fertiliser you've got to have.

The Valley Vegan............

Anouk Sickler <zurumato wrote:

i have not check in a while, the flu came to my house. anyway my question is I was gardening outside, removing some leaves from my roses,my neighbor walks by who is a bit nosey, keeps telling me that I needto buy cow manure, horse manure, chicken manure, and so on."chicken manure did wonders for my tomatoes" this is not the first time she has mentioned it. I don't know a lot about gardening, but is it vegan to use theseproducts?To send an email to -

Guest guest

Hi Peter

LOL. It is important though, even though it is a strange conversation piece :-)

BBJo

-

Peter

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 11:31 PM

Hi Jo

> My favourite is nettles.

I think we've now topped the list for bizarre conversations.... "my favourite manure" ;-)

BB

Peter