IndiaDivine.org

Vegan Bakery Faces Eviction

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

« Sugar Factory Death Knell | Main | Cruisin' and Dustin' in Red Hook » Vegan Bakery Faces Eviction FILE UNDER: Retail Whole Earth Bakery & KitchenAnyone who has strolled down St. Marks recently can attest to the obvious changes that have taken place in the neighborhood over the past decade. The building that housed Coney Island High went condo years ago, and

chain stores like Quiznos keeping showing up. Now, Whole Earth Bakery & Kitchen--another neighborhood mainstay--may soon shutter. "The landlord has refused to renew my lease," said owner Peter Silvestri. "Weve been here since 1991. The neighborhood has changed significantly over time." When Mr. Silvestri took over the store (which had been a vegetarian cookery since 1982) in the early 1990's, things were quite different. "There was a full-fledged riot going on in Tompkins Square Park," he said. " It was an occuppied neighborhood." Now, according to Mr. Silvestri, the bakery is being forced to close on May 31, as his ten-year lease expires. But the owner has not given up yet. "We have a petition that people are signing, he said. " We have close to 1,000 names." - Michael Calderone Posted by The Real Estate on April 6, 2006 05:41 PM | Permalink TrackBack URL for this entry: http://216.70.73.119/mt/mt-tb.cgi/12458 Comments It's very sober in there today. Posted by: Mike | April 7, 2006 02:16 PM Another local business is being forced out by a greedy landlord. For what??? Another bar. That is exactly what we need another bar. Posted by: Anonymous | April 7, 2006 06:13 PM Post a Comment (If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.) Name: Email Address: URL: Remember personal info? Comments: (you may use HTML tags for style) Peter H

Messenger NEW - crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail

Guest guest

Whats that supposed to mean? The Valley Vegan..............Peter <metalscarab wrote: Hi Peter >We each leave a small piece of ourselves in everything we touch! Now come on Peter, pull yourself together ;-) BB PeterPeter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.

Guest guest

Hi Peter

'Twas a pun... if you're leaving bits of yourself everywhere, then you obviously need to pull yourself together.... :-)

BB

Peter

-

peter hurd

Sunday, April 09, 2006 10:21 PM

Re: Vegan Bakery Faces Eviction

Whats that supposed to mean?

The Valley Vegan..............Peter <metalscarab wrote:

Hi Peter

>We each leave a small piece of ourselves in everything we touch!

Now come on Peter, pull yourself together ;-)

BB

Peter

Peter H

To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Security Centre.

Guest guest

, peter hurd <swpgh01 wrote:

>

> That obviously sealed its fate!

>

> The Valley Vegan................

>

> fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

> to think i use to squat there...........

>

I believe you! I think St. Marks place is where the (real) PuNks used to

hang out when I was a kid. and also around 14 th street.

It had edge, but then later commercial stores came into that

street like The Gap and the flavor was lost

I cannot aford NYC anymore.

NY gave birth to me but she doesn't belong to me,

I craved her love but she gave birth to too many children.

she grows more beautiful each day, more cold.

she says, to her mother, i know that I sold my soul for 24 dollars

but that was a long time ago

look at me now, I have fame, I am rich, Intelligence.

arent you proud?

you used to tell me not to reach too high, or I might fall but there

is none stronger than I, you know that from my childhood

yes, i have killed,have pain and have witnessed too many dark secrets.

you say I have no light, but despite these tall lines on my face, the

beauty that you saw in me is still there, just look slowly.