Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

World Watch Magazine: May/ June 2006

Can Organic Farming Feed Us All?

-Brian Halweil

Two recent studies reveal that a global shift to organic farming would yield

more food, not less, for the world's hungry, writes Worldwatch Institute Senior

Researcher Brian Halweil in " Can Organic Farming Feed Us All? " Organic farming

tends to raise yields in poorer nations, precisely those areas where people are

hungry and can't afford chemical-intensive farming. Where there is a yield gap

between conventional and organic crops, it tends to be widest in wealthy

nations, where farmers use copious amounts of synthetic fertilizers and

pesticides in a perennial attempt to maximize yields. " In poorer nations,

organic farming techniques like composting and green manuring and biological

pest control may be farmers' best hope for boosting production and reducing

hunger, " writes Halweil.

Beyond this yield advantage, organic farming has proven benefits for wildlife,

water and air quality, and food safety. And while analysts on the two sides of

this issue are constantly at odds, some experts are starting to advocate a

middle path that uses many of the principles of organic farming and depends on

just a fraction of the chemicals used in conventional agriculture. Such an

integrative system, they believe, would have great benefits for farmers,

consumers, and the environment. " The lack of widespread support for organic

farming from governments, industry, and farmer organizations is short-sighted

and may ultimately be contributing to world hunger, " says Halweil.

Guest guest

Do they mean meat/dairy farming or vegetable farming? Organic Meat and dairy farms cannot feed us all, that’s for sure. I always think that when something says 'organic' for meat and dairy that they are just saying that to make people buy it...if I don’t actually see the animals and the conditions they live in...I don’t trust the word organic...as far as I see it. The word has become a marketing tool and nothing more. (For meat and dairy that is) I don’t trust it because they will lie out of the ass just to make money and cut every corner possible to save money...if the term is used for the way produce is

grown, of course, that I trust. As for organic produce farming feeding us all...I guess that depends on a lot of things. It would be great if it could though. fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: World Watch Magazine: May/ June 2006Can Organic Farming Feed Us All?-Brian HalweilTwo recent studies reveal that a global shift to organic farming would yield more food, not less, for the world's hungry, writes Worldwatch Institute Senior Researcher Brian Halweil in "Can Organic Farming Feed Us All?" Organic farming tends to

raise yields in poorer nations, precisely those areas where people are hungry and can't afford chemical-intensive farming. Where there is a yield gap between conventional and organic crops, it tends to be widest in wealthy nations, where farmers use copious amounts of synthetic fertilizers and pesticides in a perennial attempt to maximize yields. "In poorer nations, organic farming techniques like composting and green manuring and biological pest control may be farmers' best hope for boosting production and reducing hunger," writes Halweil. Beyond this yield advantage, organic farming has proven benefits for wildlife, water and air quality, and food safety. And while analysts on the two sides of this issue are constantly at odds, some experts are starting to advocate a middle path that uses many of the principles of organic farming and depends on just a fraction of the chemicals used in conventional agriculture. Such an integrative system, they believe, would have

great benefits for farmers, consumers, and the environment. "The lack of widespread support for organic farming from governments, industry, and farmer organizations is short-sighted and may ultimately be contributing to world hunger," says Halweil.

Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.

Guest guest

It couldn't produce enough to feed us all because we don't all eat meat !

Jo

-

FF ON

Saturday, April 15, 2006 8:22 PM

Re: Can Organic Farming Feed Us All?

Do they mean meat/dairy farming or vegetable farming? Organic Meat and dairy farms cannot feed us all, that’s for sure.

I always think that when something says 'organic' for meat and dairy that they are just saying that to make people buy it...if I don’t actually see the animals and the conditions they live in...I don’t trust the word organic...as far as I see it. The word has become a marketing tool and nothing more. (For meat and dairy that is)

I don’t trust it because they will lie out of the ass just to make money and cut every corner possible to save money...if the term is used for the way produce is grown, of course, that I trust.

As for organic produce farming feeding us all...I guess that depends on a lot of things.

It would be great if it could though.

fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

World Watch Magazine: May/ June 2006Can Organic Farming Feed Us All?-Brian HalweilTwo recent studies reveal that a global shift to organic farming would yield more food, not less, for the world's hungry, writes Worldwatch Institute Senior Researcher Brian Halweil in "Can Organic Farming Feed Us All?" Organic farming tends to raise yields in poorer nations, precisely those areas where people are hungry and can't afford chemical-intensive farming. Where there is a yield gap between conventional and organic crops, it tends to be widest in wealthy nations, where farmers use copious amounts of synthetic fertilizers and pesticides in a perennial attempt to maximize yields. "In poorer nations, organic farming techniques like composting and green manuring and biological pest control may be farmers' best hope for boosting production and reducing hunger," writes Halweil. Beyond this yield advantage, organic farming has proven benefits for wildlife, water and air quality, and food safety. And while analysts on the two sides of this issue are constantly at odds, some experts are starting to advocate a middle path that uses many of the principles of organic farming and depends on just a fraction of the chemicals used in conventional agriculture. Such an integrative system, they believe, would have great benefits for farmers, consumers, and the environment. "The lack of widespread support for organic farming from governments, industry, and farmer organizations is short-sighted and may ultimately be contributing to world hunger," says Halweil.

Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.

Guest guest

yes I agree with you, a couple of years ago,

there was an expose, about the so called cage-free organic eggs

turned out they werent so free after all.

, FF ON < wrote:

>

> Do they mean meat/dairy farming or vegetable farming? Organic Meat

and dairy farms cannot feed us all, that's for sure.

> I always think that when something says 'organic' for meat and

dairy that they are just saying that to make people buy it...if I

don't actually see the animals and the conditions they live in...I

don't trust the word organic...as far as I see it. The word has become

a marketing tool and nothing more. (For meat and dairy that is)

Guest guest

Hi Anouk

It is amazing how labels can mis-lead ones thoughts.

Cage-free simply means that they are not caged. Unfortunately most

cage-free birds are cramped inside a small room with no space to

even move their wings.

Free-range means that get to go outside, but it does not say how

long or how much room they have.

Sick, isn't it?

Nikki

, " Anouk Sickler " <zurumato

wrote:

>

> yes I agree with you, a couple of years ago,

> there was an expose, about the so called cage-free organic eggs

> turned out they werent so free after all.

>

>

> , FF ON <@> wrote:

> >

> > Do they mean meat/dairy farming or vegetable farming? Organic

Meat

> and dairy farms cannot feed us all, that's for sure.

> > I always think that when something says 'organic' for meat and

> dairy that they are just saying that to make people buy it...if I

> don't actually see the animals and the conditions they live in...I

> don't trust the word organic...as far as I see it. The word has

become

> a marketing tool and nothing more. (For meat and dairy that is)

>