IndiaDivine.org

Should I be worried? - Two cows die of anthrax on farm

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Two cows have died of anthrax on a beef farm in south Wales, it has been confirmed by the assembly government. Tests were carried out on the unnamed farm in Rhondda Cynon Taf after the sudden death of five cows in April. The assembly government said all five carcasses had been burnt on site to ensure there was no risk to the public. The anthrax was discovered through routine testing. It is the first case in Britain since 2002, when a cow died at a farm in Wrexham. An assembly government spokeswoman confirmed the farm in the latest cases had once tested positive for anthrax 35 years ago. Anthrax spores can persist in the environment, notably soil, for years. An anthrax infection can be treated successfully with antibiotics when the disease is identified early. ANTHRAX FACTS Anthrax is a highly infectious and contagious disease but uncommon in humans Under certain conditions it forms spores that may persist for many years in the environment Cutaneous anthrax is the most common type, accounting for 95% of cases Before 2002, the last confirmed case of anthrax in cattle occurred in Lanarkshire in 1997 Local veterinary inspectors are involved in monitoring and all unexplained sudden deaths in livestock are reported The small farm has been sealed off, with the remaining herd of suckler cows confined to their field while tests continue. Chief veterinary officer for Wales Dr Christianne Glossop said: "The assembly government and state

veterinary service have worked quickly to ensure that there is no threat from anthrax to the public, farmers or any other livestock in Rhondda Cynon Taff. "Officials are liaising with the Environment Agency and medical authorities to ensure that all necessary precautions are being taken. "Anthrax is very rare - it last occurred in Wales in 2002. We are working to trace the source of the current outbreak." 'Very effectively' In a statement, the assembly government said no cattle from the farm had been sent for food for almost 12 months. The Food Standards Agency has been informed of the outbreak. The 2002 outbreak in Wrexham was considered to be a sporadic incident on a farm which had three anthrax cases in the previous two decades. There was also a case in cattle in Clwyd in 1992 and pigs were confirmed with the disease at a farm in Wrexham in 1989. Alan Morris, a spokesman for the Farmers' Union of Wales, said

there was no need for the public to be anxious. He said: "We are satisfied that the contingency plans put in place are working very, very effectively. We are pleased that the disease was identified quickly." Peter H

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Guest guest

, peter hurd <swpgh01 wrote:

>

>

> Two cows have died of anthrax on a beef farm in south Wales, it has

been confirmed by the assembly government. Tests were carried out on

the unnamed farm in Rhondda Cynon Taf after the sudden death of five

cows in April. The assembly government said all five carcasses had

been burnt on site to

Not at all. Outbreaks do happen sometimes, but authorities then take

preventive measures.

Vijay

Guest guest

Apparently the last outbreak in the UK was four years ago.

Jo

-

" rvijay " <rvijay07

Sunday, April 23, 2006 8:16 PM

Re: Should I be worried? - Two cows die of anthrax on

farm

> , peter hurd <swpgh01 wrote:

> >

> >

> > Two cows have died of anthrax on a beef farm in south Wales, it has

> been confirmed by the assembly government. Tests were carried out on

> the unnamed farm in Rhondda Cynon Taf after the sudden death of five

> cows in April. The assembly government said all five carcasses had

> been burnt on site to

>

>

> Not at all. Outbreaks do happen sometimes, but authorities then take

> preventive measures.

>

> Vijay

>

>

>

>

>

> To send an email to -

>

Guest guest

yeah..the world is peachy keen

nuthin bad ever happens....

*ow*

sorry..my tongue pushed tooo hard and came out the side of my cheek.....

as fer being worried about anthrax

how far is it from you?

anthrax can survive in the soil for years and years...

but...since i don't suppose you are gonna go around licking any cows, you should

be fine....

>rvijay <rvijay07

>Apr 23, 2006 12:16 PM

>

> Re: Should I be worried? - Two cows die of anthrax on

farm

>

> , peter hurd <swpgh01 wrote:

>>

>>

>> Two cows have died of anthrax on a beef farm in south Wales, it has

>been confirmed by the assembly government. Tests were carried out on

>the unnamed farm in Rhondda Cynon Taf after the sudden death of five

>cows in April. The assembly government said all five carcasses had

>been burnt on site to

>

>

>Not at all. Outbreaks do happen sometimes, but authorities then take

>preventive measures.

>

>Vijay

>

>

>

>

>

>To send an email to -

>

Guest guest

How do you know I dont lick cows? , does this mean I have to stop french kissing them also?............sorry must keep that quiet the sheep are getting suspicious. Latest Anthrax outbreak about 25 miles from me as I type............. White coats to bind me, out of control I live alone inside my mind World of confusion, air filled with noise Who says that my life's such a crime? The Valley Vegan................. fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: yeah..the world is peachy keennuthin bad ever happens....*ow*sorry..my tongue pushed tooo hard and came out the side of my cheek.....as fer being worried about anthraxhow far is it from you?anthrax can

survive in the soil for years and years...but...since i don't suppose you are gonna go around licking any cows, you should be fine....>rvijay >Apr 23, 2006 12:16 PM> > Re: Should I be worried? - Two cows die of anthrax on farm>> , peter hurd wrote:>>>> >> Two cows have died of anthrax on a beef farm in south Wales, it has>been confirmed by the assembly government. Tests were carried out on>the unnamed farm in Rhondda Cynon Taf after the sudden death of five>cows in April. The assembly government said all five carcasses had>been burnt on site to>>>Not at all. Outbreaks do happen sometimes, but authorities then take>preventive

measures.>>Vijay>>>>>>To send an email to - >

Guest guest

are there lotsa cattle near yer abode?

do they transfer em back and forth often?

peter hurd Apr 25, 2006 11:05 AM Re: Re: Should I be worried? - Two cows die of anthrax on farm

How do you know I dont lick cows? , does this mean I have to stop french kissing them also?............sorry must keep that quiet the sheep are getting suspicious.

Latest Anthrax outbreak about 25 miles from me as I type.............

White coats to bind me, out of control I live alone inside my mind World of confusion, air filled with noise Who says that my life's such a crime?

The Valley Vegan.................

fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

yeah..the world is peachy keennuthin bad ever happens....*ow*sorry..my tongue pushed tooo hard and came out the side of my cheek.....as fer being worried about anthraxhow far is it from you?anthrax can survive in the soil for years and years...but...since i don't suppose you are gonna go around licking any cows, you should be fine....>rvijay >Apr 23, 2006 12:16 PM> > Re: Should I be worried? - Two cows die of anthrax on farm>> , peter hurd wrote:>>>> >> Two cows have died of anthrax on a beef farm in south Wales, it has>been confirmed by the assembly government. Tests were carried out on>the unnamed farm in Rhondda Cynon Taf after the sudden death of five>cows in April. The assembly government said all five carcasses had>been burnt on site to>>>Not at all. Outbreaks do happen sometimes, but authorities then take>preventive measures.>>Vijay>>>>>>To send an email to - >

Guest guest

Yep, and yep, although not past my house. Oh mister time will you ever unwind Or just rebuild a new design Your claim to fame is law and order The rich get rich, the poor get poor You put a price tag on what you see This one's for you, that's for me If that's winning I'd rather lose Why don't you listen to my senseless views The Valley Vegan............... fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: are there lotsa cattle near yer abode? do they transfer em back and forth often? peter hurd Apr 25, 2006 11:05 AM Re: Re: Should I be worried? - Two cows die of anthrax on farm How do you know I dont lick cows? , does this mean I have to stop french kissing them also?............sorry must keep that quiet the sheep are getting suspicious. Latest Anthrax outbreak about 25 miles from me as I type............. White coats to bind me, out of control I live alone inside my mind World of confusion, air filled with noise Who says that my life's such a crime? The Valley Vegan................. fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: yeah..the world is peachy keennuthin bad ever happens....*ow*sorry..my tongue pushed tooo hard and came out the side of my cheek.....as fer being worried about anthraxhow far is it from you?anthrax can survive in the soil for years and years...but...since i don't suppose you are gonna go around licking any cows, you should be fine....>rvijay >Apr 23, 2006 12:16 PM> > Re: Should I be worried? - Two cows die of anthrax on farm>> , peter hurd wrote:>>>> >> Two cows have died of anthrax on a beef farm in south Wales, it has>been confirmed by the assembly government. Tests were carried out on>the unnamed farm in Rhondda Cynon Taf after the sudden

death of five>cows in April. The assembly government said all five carcasses had>been burnt on site to>>>Not at all. Outbreaks do happen sometimes, but authorities then take>preventive measures.>>Vijay>>>>>>To send an email to - >

Guest guest

well

imo...

in the near future...it might be wise to put a pan of disinfectant water outside yer door..

(someting biodegradable)

then before you come in the haus, you can step in it and clean out the bottom of yer boots, and not track any spores into yer happy lil hovel

precautions....

but...as for now..don't be overly worried

fraggle

peter hurd Apr 25, 2006 11:14 AM Re: Re: Should I be worried? - Two cows die of anthrax on farm

Yep, and yep, although not past my house.

Oh mister time will you ever unwind Or just rebuild a new design Your claim to fame is law and order The rich get rich, the poor get poor You put a price tag on what you see This one's for you, that's for me If that's winning I'd rather lose Why don't you listen to my senseless views

The Valley Vegan...............

are there lotsa cattle near yer abode?

do they transfer em back and forth often?

peter hurd Apr 25, 2006 11:05 AM Re: Re: Should I be worried? - Two cows die of anthrax on farm

How do you know I dont lick cows? , does this mean I have to stop french kissing them also?............sorry must keep that quiet the sheep are getting suspicious.

Latest Anthrax outbreak about 25 miles from me as I type.............

White coats to bind me, out of control I live alone inside my mind World of confusion, air filled with noise Who says that my life's such a crime?

The Valley Vegan.................

yeah..the world is peachy keennuthin bad ever happens....*ow*sorry..my tongue pushed tooo hard and came out the side of my cheek.....as fer being worried about anthraxhow far is it from you?anthrax can survive in the soil for years and years...but...since i don't suppose you are gonna go around licking any cows, you should be fine....>rvijay >Apr 23, 2006 12:16 PM> > Re: Should I be worried? - Two cows die of anthrax on farm>> , peter hurd wrote:>>>> >> Two cows have died of anthrax on a beef farm in south Wales, it has>been confirmed by the assembly government. Tests were carried out on>the unnamed farm in Rhondda Cynon Taf after the sudden death of five>cows in April. The assembly government said all five carcasses had>been burnt on site to>>>Not at all. Outbreaks do happen sometimes, but authorities then take>preventive measures.>>Vijay>>>>>>To send an email to - >

Guest guest

Wont these spores be airborne? The Valley Vegan.........fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: well imo... in the near future...it might be wise to put a pan of disinfectant water outside yer door.. (someting biodegradable) then before you come in the haus, you can step in it and clean out the bottom of yer boots, and not track any spores into yer happy lil hovel precautions.... but...as for now..don't be overly worried fraggle peter hurd Apr 25, 2006 11:14 AM To:

Re: Re: Should I be worried? - Two cows die of anthrax on farm Yep, and yep, although not past my house. Oh mister time will you ever unwind Or just rebuild a new design Your claim to fame is law and order The rich get rich, the poor get poor You put a price tag on what you see This one's for you, that's for me If that's winning I'd rather lose Why don't you listen to my senseless views The Valley Vegan............... fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: are there lotsa cattle near yer

abode? do they transfer em back and forth often? peter hurd Apr 25, 2006 11:05 AM Re: Re: Should I be worried? - Two cows die of anthrax on farm How do you know I dont lick cows? , does this mean I have to stop french kissing them also?............sorry must keep that quiet the sheep are getting suspicious. Latest Anthrax outbreak about 25 miles from me as I type............. White coats to bind me, out of control I live alone inside my mind World of confusion, air filled with noise Who says that my life's such a crime? The Valley Vegan.................

fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: yeah..the world is peachy keennuthin bad ever happens....*ow*sorry..my tongue pushed tooo hard and came out the side of my cheek.....as fer being worried about anthraxhow far is it from you?anthrax can survive in the soil for years and years...but...since i don't suppose you are gonna go around licking any cows, you should be fine....>rvijay >Apr 23, 2006 12:16 PM> > Re: Should I be worried? - Two cows die of anthrax on farm>> , peter hurd wrote:>>>> >> Two cows have died of anthrax on a beef farm in south

Wales, it has>been confirmed by the assembly government. Tests were carried out on>the unnamed farm in Rhondda Cynon Taf after the sudden death of five>cows in April. The assembly government said all five carcasses had>been burnt on site to>>>Not at all. Outbreaks do happen sometimes, but authorities then take>preventive measures.>>Vijay>>>>>>To send an email to - >

Guest guest

in general...for anthrax spores to be airborned and travel, they have to be refined, ie: weaponized

most anthrax that people get is from VERY close contact with an infected animal

it is possible to inhale normal anthrax spores..but, again, you have to be in very close contact with the infected critter

most human anthrax cases are thru the skin

so..i'd be worried about trackin it into the haus, and having someone with a cut, bruise, wound etc sit on it or touch the area..ya know?

peter hurd Apr 25, 2006 11:31 AM Re: Re: Should I be worried? - Two cows die of anthrax on farm

Wont these spores be airborne?

The Valley Vegan.........fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

well

imo...

in the near future...it might be wise to put a pan of disinfectant water outside yer door..

(someting biodegradable)

then before you come in the haus, you can step in it and clean out the bottom of yer boots, and not track any spores into yer happy lil hovel

precautions....

fraggle

You can bomb the world to pieces You can't bomb it into peace

Guest guest

Thanks Fragg, I shall be keeping an eye on the situation from as many sources as I can......... On a different ( your favourite ) subject, one of the local pubs is having a guest mini beer / cider/perry festival with over 10 guest ales and ciders next week. Unfortunately I am not going to know which ones are on until I get there, and they are likely to all be cask conditioned, smaller / independant breweries, so I dont know if they will be vegan, although I expect the ciders will be. The Valley Vegan..............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: in general...for anthrax spores to be airborned and travel, they have to be refined, ie: weaponized most anthrax that people get is

from VERY close contact with an infected animal it is possible to inhale normal anthrax spores..but, again, you have to be in very close contact with the infected critter most human anthrax cases are thru the skin so..i'd be worried about trackin it into the haus, and having someone with a cut, bruise, wound etc sit on it or touch the area..ya know? peter hurd Apr 25, 2006 11:31 AM Re: Re: Should I be worried? - Two cows die of anthrax on farm Wont these spores be airborne? The Valley Vegan.........fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: well imo... in the near future...it might be wise to put a pan of disinfectant water outside yer door.. (someting biodegradable) then before you come in the haus, you can step in it and clean out the bottom of yer boots, and not track any spores into yer happy lil hovel precautions.... but...as for now..don't be overly worried fraggle You can bomb the world to pieces You can't bomb it into peace Peter H

360° NEW – Your one place to blog, create, publish share!

Guest guest

wish i could be there!!!

peter hurd Apr 25, 2006 12:36 PM Re: Re: Should I be worried? - Two cows die of anthrax on farm

Thanks Fragg, I shall be keeping an eye on the situation from as many sources as I can.........

On a different ( your favourite ) subject, one of the local pubs is having a guest mini beer / cider/perry festival with over 10 guest ales and ciders next week. Unfortunately I am not going to know which ones are on until I get there, and they are likely to all be cask conditioned, smaller / independant breweries, so I dont know if they will be vegan, although I expect the ciders will be.

The Valley Vegan..............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

in general...for anthrax spores to be airborned and travel, they have to be refined, ie: weaponized

most anthrax that people get is from VERY close contact with an infected animal

it is possible to inhale normal anthrax spores..but, again, you have to be in very close contact with the infected critter

most human anthrax cases are thru the skin

so..i'd be worried about trackin it into the haus, and having someone with a cut, bruise, wound etc sit on it or touch the area..ya know?

peter hurd Apr 25, 2006 11:31 AM Re: Re: Should I be worried? - Two cows die of anthrax on farm

Wont these spores be airborne?

The Valley Vegan.........fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

well

imo...

(someting biodegradable)

precautions....

fraggle You can bomb the world to pieces You can't bomb it into peace

Peter H

360° NEW Your one place to blog, create, publish & share! To send an email to -