IndiaDivine.org

Seedlings

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I transferred my seedlings to the borders this evening. I wonder if they

will make it through the night, or whether the slugs will finish them off!

Jo

Guest guest

have any of those copper strips?

>jo <jo.heartwork

>May 11, 2006 2:09 PM

>

> Seedlings

>

>I transferred my seedlings to the borders this evening. I wonder if they

>will make it through the night, or whether the slugs will finish them off!

>

>Jo

>

>

>

>

>To send an email to -

>

Guest guest

I used them around my little greenhouse and it worked well, but they are now

planted directly in the border.

Jo

-

" fraggle " <EBbrewpunx

Thursday, May 11, 2006 10:26 PM

Re: Seedlings

have any of those copper strips?

>jo <jo.heartwork

>May 11, 2006 2:09 PM

>

> Seedlings

>

>I transferred my seedlings to the borders this evening. I wonder if they

>will make it through the night, or whether the slugs will finish them off!

>

>Jo

>

>

>

>

>To send an email to -

>

Guest guest

Good luck! I have planted a couple of perrenials that I have carefully grown on for ages, and so I am now on slug/snail alert! The Valley Vegan...............jo <jo.heartwork wrote: I used them around my little greenhouse and it worked well, but they are nowplanted directly in the border.Jo-"fraggle" Thursday, May 11, 2006 10:26 PMRe: Seedlingshave any of those copper strips?>jo >May 11, 2006 2:09 PM> > Seedlings>>I transferred my seedlings to the borders this evening. I

wonder if they>will make it through the night, or whether the slugs will finish them off!>>Jo>>>>>To send an email to - >

Guest guest

The trouble with a lot of people is that they tend to put plants in when they are too small, and cant survive the odd nible. Best to grow them a bit bigger and depeneding on what you are planting, pinch out the tips to encourage side shoots to grow bushier. The Valley Vegan..............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: have any of those copper strips?>jo >May 11, 2006 2:09 PM> > Seedlings>>I transferred my seedlings to the borders this evening. I wonder if they>will make it through the night, or whether the slugs will finish them off!>>Jo>>>>>To send an email to

- >

Guest guest

depends

its often beneficial to put them out early and young enough so they can acclimate to their new surroundings

younger plants deal with shocks better then older plants sometimes

peter hurd May 12, 2006 12:42 PM Re: Seedlings

The trouble with a lot of people is that they tend to put plants in when they are too small, and cant survive the odd nible. Best to grow them a bit bigger and depeneding on what you are planting, pinch out the tips to encourage side shoots to grow bushier.

The Valley Vegan..............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

have any of those copper strips?>jo >May 11, 2006 2:09 PM> > Seedlings>>I transferred my seedlings to the borders this evening. I wonder if they>will make it through the night, or whether the slugs will finish them off!>>Jo>>>>>To send an email to - >

Guest guest

Good luck with yours too. It's very disheartening when you have tended plants carefully, and then they disappear!

Jo

-

peter hurd

Friday, May 12, 2006 8:27 PM

Good luck! I have planted a couple of perrenials that I have carefully grown on for ages, and so I am now on slug/snail alert!

The Valley Vegan...............jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

I used them around my little greenhouse and it worked well, but they are nowplanted directly in the border.Jo-"fraggle" Thursday, May 11, 2006 10:26 PMRe: Seedlingshave any of those copper strips?>jo >May 11, 2006 2:09 PM> > Seedlings>>I transferred my seedlings to the borders this evening. I wonder if they>will make it through the night, or whether the slugs will finish them off!>>Jo>>>>>To send an email to - >

Guest guest

That's a good point. These ones were not that big - but I have quite a few others than I haven't planted out yet - so maybe I'll leave them a bit longer. Thanks Peter.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Friday, May 12, 2006 8:42 PM

The trouble with a lot of people is that they tend to put plants in when they are too small, and cant survive the odd nible. Best to grow them a bit bigger and depeneding on what you are planting, pinch out the tips to encourage side shoots to grow bushier.

have any of those copper strips?>jo >May 11, 2006 2:09 PM> > Seedlings>>I transferred my seedlings to the borders this evening. I wonder if they>will make it through the night, or whether the slugs will finish them off!>>Jo>>>>>To send an email to - >

Guest guest

I have a mini greenhouse and the door is the whole of the front. I have left the front open for a couple of weeks now so they are fairly well acclimatised - hopefully.

Jo

-

fraggle

Friday, May 12, 2006 8:47 PM

depends

its often beneficial to put them out early and young enough so they can acclimate to their new surroundings

younger plants deal with shocks better then older plants sometimes

peter hurd May 12, 2006 12:42 PM Re: Seedlings

Guest guest

hi jo,

it is that time of year and once again,

I have those little insects that fly around in a kamikaze

sort of way in front of my computer.

there is a hole in

the screen.

i believe they are

called june bugs or and I remember that you mentioned

them last year.

I can't believe that are all over the world, I am sure we all have

them.

, " jo " <jo.heartwork wrote:

>

> Good luck with yours too. It's very disheartening when you have

tended plants carefully, and then they disappear!

>

> Jo

> -

> peter hurd

>

> Friday, May 12, 2006 8:27 PM

> Re: Seedlings

>

>

> Good luck! I have planted a couple of perrenials that I have

carefully grown on for ages, and so I am now on slug/snail alert!

>

> The Valley Vegan...............

>

> jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

> I used them around my little greenhouse and it worked well, but

they are now

> planted directly in the border.

>

> Jo

>

> -

> " fraggle "

> To:

> Thursday, May 11, 2006 10:26 PM

>

>

> have any of those copper strips?

>

>

> >jo

> >May 11, 2006 2:09 PM

> >

> > Seedlings

> >

> >I transferred my seedlings to the borders this evening. I

wonder if they

> >will make it through the night, or whether the slugs will

finish them off!

> >

> >Jo

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >To send an email to

-

> >

Guest guest

I was talking about May/June bugs last year, but they are quite large - one

to two inches long. They are strange insects.

Jo

-

" Anouk Sickler " <zurumato

Sunday, May 14, 2006 5:17 AM

hi jo,

it is that time of year and once again,

I have those little insects that fly around in a kamikaze

sort of way in front of my computer.

there is a hole in

the screen.

i believe they are

called june bugs or and I remember that you mentioned

them last year.

I can't believe that are all over the world, I am sure we all have

them.

Guest guest

june bugs

may bugs

june beetles

cockchafers...

their larvae like to munch on lawns...

>Anouk Sickler <zurumato

>May 13, 2006 9:17 PM

>

>

>hi jo,

>

>it is that time of year and once again,

>I have those little insects that fly around in a kamikaze

>sort of way in front of my computer.

> there is a hole in

>the screen.

>

>i believe they are

>called june bugs or and I remember that you mentioned

>them last year.

>I can't believe that are all over the world, I am sure we all have

>them.

>

>

> , " jo " <jo.heartwork wrote:

>>

>> Good luck with yours too. It's very disheartening when you have

>tended plants carefully, and then they disappear!

>>

>> Jo

>> -

>> peter hurd

>>

>> Friday, May 12, 2006 8:27 PM

>> Re: Seedlings

>>

>>

>> Good luck! I have planted a couple of perrenials that I have

>carefully grown on for ages, and so I am now on slug/snail alert!

>>

>> The Valley Vegan...............

>>

>> jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

>> I used them around my little greenhouse and it worked well, but

>they are now

>> planted directly in the border.

>>

>> Jo

>>

>> -

>> " fraggle "

>> To:

>> Thursday, May 11, 2006 10:26 PM

>> Re: Seedlings

>>

>>

>> have any of those copper strips?

>>

>>

>> >jo

>> >May 11, 2006 2:09 PM

>> >

>> > Seedlings

>> >

>> >I transferred my seedlings to the borders this evening. I

>wonder if they

>> >will make it through the night, or whether the slugs will

>finish them off!

>> >

>> >Jo

>> >

>> >

>> >

>> >

>> >To send an email to

>-

>> >

Guest guest

No idea what a June bug is, do we have them over here?we have a whole host of destructive crawlies; earwigs, centipedes/milipedes/green/blackfly/woodlouse etc, plus lots of helpfull ones, stag beetles, hover flies, ladybirds etc..... The Valley Vegan...............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: june bugsmay bugsjune beetlescockchafers...their larvae like to munch on lawns...>Anouk Sickler >May 13, 2006 9:17 PM> > Re: Seedlings>>hi jo,>>it is that time of year and once again,>I have those little insects that fly around in a kamikaze >sort of way in front of my computer.> there is a

hole in >the screen.>>i believe they are>called june bugs or and I remember that you mentioned >them last year. >I can't believe that are all over the world, I am sure we all have>them.>>> , "jo" wrote:>>>> Good luck with yours too. It's very disheartening when you have>tended plants carefully, and then they disappear!>> >> Jo>> - >> peter hurd >> >> Friday, May 12, 2006 8:27 PM>> Re: Seedlings>> >> >> Good luck! I have planted a couple of perrenials that I have>carefully grown on for ages, and so I am now on slug/snail alert!>> >> The Valley Vegan...............>> >> jo

wrote:>> I used them around my little greenhouse and it worked well, but>they are now>> planted directly in the border.>> >> Jo>> >> ->> "fraggle" >> >> Thursday, May 11, 2006 10:26 PM>> Re: Seedlings>> >> >> have any of those copper strips?>> >> >> >jo >> >May 11, 2006 2:09 PM>> > >> > Seedlings>> >>> >I transferred my seedlings to the borders this evening. I>wonder if they>> >will make it through the night, or whether the slugs will>finish them off!>> >>> >Jo>> >>> >>> >>>

>>> >To send an email to>- >> >

Guest guest

yeah, you have em on yer side of the pond...

earwigs and woodlice(rolly pollys, potato bugs, sow bugs) aren't generally destructive

they eat decaying matter(some earwigs are predatory on other lil insects as well)

centipedes/millipedes eat other bugs...

peter hurd May 15, 2006 11:46 AM Re: Re: Seedlings

No idea what a June bug is, do we have them over here?we have a whole host of destructive crawlies; earwigs, centipedes/milipedes/green/blackfly/woodlouse etc, plus lots of helpfull ones, stag beetles, hover flies, ladybirds etc.....

The Valley Vegan...............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

june bugsmay bugsjune beetlescockchafers...their larvae like to munch on lawns...>Anouk Sickler >May 13, 2006 9:17 PM> > Re: Seedlings>>hi jo,>>it is that time of year and once again,>I have those little insects that fly around in a kamikaze >sort of way in front of my computer.> there is a hole in >the screen.>>i believe they are>called june bugs or and I remember that you mentioned >them last year. >I can't believe that are all over the world, I am sure we all have>them.>>> , "jo" wrote:>>>> Good luck with yours too. It's very disheartening when you have>tended plants carefully, and then they disappear!>> >> Jo>> - >> peter hurd >> >> Friday, May 12, 2006 8:27 PM>> Re: Seedlings>> >> >> Good luck! I have planted a couple of perrenials that I have>carefully grown on for ages, and so I am now on slug/snail alert!>> >> The Valley Vegan...............>> >> jo wrote:>> I used them around my little greenhouse and it worked well, but>they are now>> planted directly in the border.>> >> Jo>> >> ->> "fraggle" >> >> Thursday, May 11, 2006 10:26 PM>> Re: Seedlings>> >> >> have any of those copper strips?>> >> >> >jo >> >May 11, 2006 2:09 PM>> > >> > Seedlings>> >>> >I transferred my seedlings to the borders this evening. I>wonder if they>> >will make it through the night, or whether the slugs will>finish them off!>> >>> >Jo>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >To send an email to>- >> >

Guest guest

Hi Peter

>No idea what a June bug is, do we have them over here?

Ours are a little quicker than they are in the US... we call them May bugs :-)

BB

Peter

Guest guest

maybe they just don't sleep well over there?

:)

actually..they call em may bugs in the south here as well

Peter May 15, 2006 12:08 PM Re: Re: Seedlings

Hi Peter

>No idea what a June bug is, do we have them over here?

Ours are a little quicker than they are in the US... we call them May bugs :-)

BB

PeterTo send an email to -

Guest guest

We must have different earwigs over here as they do eat the young leaves and flowers of Dahlias like theres no tomorow, and also chrysanthemums and to a lesser extent clematis ( a good way of collecting them is to put an up turned pot filled with straw on a cane, they crawl up into it ) - they also eat decaying flesh! The Valley Vegan............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: yeah, you have em on yer side of the pond... earwigs and woodlice(rolly pollys, potato bugs, sow bugs) aren't generally destructive they eat decaying matter(some earwigs are predatory on other lil insects as well) centipedes/millipedes eat other bugs... peter hurd May 15, 2006 11:46 AM Re: Re: Seedlings No idea what a June bug is, do we have them over here?we have a whole host of destructive crawlies; earwigs, centipedes/milipedes/green/blackfly/woodlouse etc, plus lots of helpfull ones, stag beetles, hover flies, ladybirds etc..... The Valley Vegan...............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote: june bugsmay bugsjune beetlescockchafers...their larvae like to munch on lawns...>Anouk Sickler >May 13, 2006 9:17

PM> > Re: Seedlings>>hi jo,>>it is that time of year and once again,>I have those little insects that fly around in a kamikaze >sort of way in front of my computer.> there is a hole in >the screen.>>i believe they are>called june bugs or and I remember that you mentioned >them last year. >I can't believe that are all over the world, I am sure we all have>them.>>> , "jo" wrote:>>>> Good luck with yours too. It's very disheartening when you have>tended plants carefully, and then they disappear!>> >> Jo>> - >> peter hurd >> >> Friday, May 12, 2006 8:27 PM>> Re:

Seedlings>> >> >> Good luck! I have planted a couple of perrenials that I have>carefully grown on for ages, and so I am now on slug/snail alert!>> >> The Valley Vegan...............>> >> jo wrote:>> I used them around my little greenhouse and it worked well, but>they are now>> planted directly in the border.>> >> Jo>> >> ->> "fraggle" >> >> Thursday, May 11, 2006 10:26 PM>> Re: Seedlings>> >> >> have any of those copper strips?>> >> >> >jo >> >May 11, 2006 2:09 PM>> > >> > Seedlings>> >>> >I

transferred my seedlings to the borders this evening. I>wonder if they>> >will make it through the night, or whether the slugs will>finish them off!>> >>> >Jo>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >To send an email to>- >> >

Guest guest

they do like dahlias...

they're the same...

peter hurd May 15, 2006 12:26 PM Re: Re: Seedlings

We must have different earwigs over here as they do eat the young leaves and flowers of Dahlias like theres no tomorow, and also chrysanthemums and to a lesser extent clematis ( a good way of collecting them is to put an up turned pot filled with straw on a cane, they crawl up into it ) - they also eat decaying flesh!

The Valley Vegan............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

earwigs and woodlice(rolly pollys, potato bugs, sow bugs) aren't generally destructive

they eat decaying matter(some earwigs are predatory on other lil insects as well)

No idea what a June bug is, do we have them over here?we have a whole host of destructive crawlies; earwigs, centipedes/milipedes/green/blackfly/woodlouse etc, plus lots of helpfull ones, stag beetles, hover flies, ladybirds etc.....

june bugsmay bugsjune beetlescockchafers...their larvae like to munch on lawns...>Anouk Sickler >May 13, 2006 9:17 PM> > Re: Seedlings>>hi jo,>>it is that time of year and once again,>I have those little insects that fly around in a kamikaze >sort of way in front of my computer.> there is a hole in >the screen.>>i believe they are>called june bugs or and I remember that you mentioned >them last year. >I can't believe that are all over the world, I am sure we all have>them.>>> , "jo" wrote:>>>> Good luck with yours too. It's very disheartening when you have>tended plants carefully, and then they disappear!>> >> Jo>> - >> peter hurd >> >> Friday, May 12, 2006 8:27 PM>> Re: Seedlings>> >> >> Good luck! I have planted a couple of perrenials that I have>carefully grown on for ages, and so I am now on slug/snail alert!>> >> The Valley Vegan...............>> >> jo wrote:>> I used them around my little greenhouse and it worked well, but>they are now>> planted directly in the border.>> >> Jo>> >> ->> "fraggle" >> >> Thursday, May 11, 2006 10:26 PM>> Re: Seedlings>> >> >> have any of those copper strips?>> >> >> >jo >> >May 11, 2006 2:09 PM>> > >> > Seedlings>> >>> >I transferred my seedlings to the borders this evening. I>wonder if they>> >will make it through the night, or whether the slugs will>finish them off!>> >>> >Jo>> >>> >>> >>> >>> >To send an email to>- >> >

Guest guest

I`ve looked them up on the web , and it is strange, how I`ve never seen one before? I`ve had loads of ground beetles, once a stag beetle, seen vine weevils,mealy bugs, frog hoppers,those damn red lily beetles,lots of spiders, but never the may beetle? The Valley Vegan............Peter <metalscarab wrote: Hi Peter >No idea what a June bug is, do we have them over here? Ours are a little quicker than they are in the US... we call them May bugs :-) BB PeterPeter H

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Guest guest

They certainly do. I love dahlias butwould never bring a cut flower indoors because there would be loads of earwigs in then.

Jo

-

peter hurd

Monday, May 15, 2006 8:26 PM

Re: Re: Seedlings

We must have different earwigs over here as they do eat the young leaves and flowers of Dahlias like theres no tomorow, and also chrysanthemums and to a lesser extent clematis ( a good way of collecting them is to put an up turned pot filled with straw on a cane, they crawl up into it ) - they also eat decaying flesh!

The Valley Vegan............fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

Guest guest

and I believe that they also munch on peoples vegetables at the roots.

, fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

>

> june bugs

> may bugs

> june beetles

> cockchafers...

>

> their larvae like to munch on lawns...

>