IndiaDivine.org

Fw: Vegans Questioning ?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi Colin

>more on the subject for those that asked.

Thanks for this info. I have a couple of questions / thoughts....

> a young Chinese man is spending 10 years in prison for sending an email to> someone in the US expressing his discontent

Is there any chance of getting some actual details on the case in question? For instance:

1. Who is this " young Chinese man " ? (A name would be a good start)

2. What exactly did he say?

3. Was his prison sentence specifically related to the specific e-mail, or were there other factors involved (I mean, was he planning an assissination or something)?

4. To what lengths did the Chinese government go to get the information from ?

5. What exactly was 's involvement in his trial / imprisonment?

Also, I think it's worth remembering that are bound by the laws which exist in the countries in which they operate - as are any e-mail servers. Those which operate in the US are bound by the Patriot Acts which mean that they are bound to give any details over to the US government - yet I don't hear anyone talking about boycotting a provider because of this.

I dunno - it's just that after 15 years as an activist, I've seen too many " knee-jerk " condemning of organisations on scant, anecdotal stories which give no details at all, and frankly what is being said about at the moment doesn't give us anything more than this.

So - let's have some *real* details, so that we can make a genuinely informed judgement of the situation.

BB

Peter

Guest guest

'helped jail China writer'

Western internet firms are rushing to invest in ChinaInternet giant has been accused of supplying information to China which led to the jailing of a journalist for "divulging state secrets". Reporters Without Borders said 's Hong Kong arm helped China link Shi Tao's e-mail account and computer to a message containing the information. The media watchdog accused of becoming a "police informant" in order to further its business ambitions. A spokeswoman said it had to operate within each country's laws.

"Just like any other global company, must ensure that its local country sites must operate within the laws, regulations and customs of the country in which they are based," said Mary Osako. Shi Tao, 37, worked for the Contemporary Business News in Hunan province, before he was arrested and sentenced in April to 10 years in prison. According to a translation of his conviction, reproduced by Reporters Without Borders, he was found guilty of sending foreign-based websites the text of an internal Communist Party message. Reporters Without Borders said the message warned journalists of the dangers of social unrest resulting from the return of dissidents on the 15th anniversary of the Tiananmen Square massacre, in June 2004. Censorship fears The media organisation accused of providing Chinese investigating organs with information that helped link Shi Tao's personal e-mail account and the text of the message to his computer. "We already knew that collaborates enthusiastically with the Chinese regime in questions of censorship, and now we know it is a Chinese police informant as well," Reporters Without Borders said in a statement. Western internet companies have regularly been criticised for agreeing to China's strict rules governing the internet, which Communist Party leaders fear could be a tool to spread dissent. Microsoft was criticised in June for censoring what bloggers write. The companies say they have to abide by local regulations, and point out that since China is set to be the world's biggest internet market, they cannot ignore it. "Microsoft works to bring our technology to people around the world to help them realise their full potential," said a Microsoft spokesperson. "Like other global organisations we must abide by the laws, regulations and norms of each country in which we operate." Earlier this month paid $1bn (£556m) for a stake in China's biggest e-commerce firm, Alibaba.com.

Peter Kebbell May 26, 2006 6:11 AM Re: Fw: Re: Vegans Questioning ?

Hi Colin

> a young Chinese man is spending 10 years in prison for sending an email to> someone in the US expressing his discontent

Is there any chance of getting some actual details on the case in question? For instance:

1. Who is this "young Chinese man"? (A name would be a good start)

3. Was his prison sentence specifically related to the specific e-mail, or were there other factors involved (I mean, was he planning an assissination or something)?

Also, I think it's worth remembering that are bound by the laws which exist in the countries in which they operate - as are any e-mail servers. Those which operate in the US are bound by the Patriot Acts which mean that they are bound to give any details over to the US government - yet I don't hear anyone talking about boycotting a provider because of this.

I dunno - it's just that after 15 years as an activist, I've seen too many "knee-jerk" condemning of organisations on scant, anecdotal stories which give no details at all, and frankly what is being said about at the moment doesn't give us anything more than this.

So - let's have some *real* details, so that we can make a genuinely informed judgement of the situation.

BB

PeterTo send an email to -

Guest guest

hi peter. thanks for your interest. i am responding to my group. i am not interested in a witch hunt against . they offer a good, free service. i would like it left there as i enjoy this service and it is great for world vegans as well as other groups.

it is also the medium by which we know each other. this is great.

as far as sin goes i think it is more likely that politicians are the real culprits. ( i find it amazing we allow them to run our lives. very few people trust them. )

for our own small group we are considering a local vegan server. that way we are almost 100% sure of the ethics involved, but even this has not eventuated yet though we are in the consultation process now. i will keep u informed and pass this on to amanda my friend and fellow moderator.

i will keep u informed about what we get up to.

peace

colin

-

Peter Kebbell

Friday, May 26, 2006 10:11 PM

Re: Fw: Re: Vegans Questioning ?

Hi Colin

1. Who is this "young Chinese man"? (A name would be a good start)

I dunno - it's just that after 15 years as an activist, I've seen too many "knee-jerk" condemning of organisations on scant, anecdotal stories which give no details at all, and frankly what is being said about at the moment doesn't give us anything more than this.

BB

Peter

Guest guest

Hi Fraggle

Thanks for the article - it does at least fill in some of the blanks, although doesn't quite clarify what 's involvement was (did they approach the Chinese government with the information, or did the Chinese government get an injunction to obtain the information?)

Also one interesting thing....

> Microsoft was criticised in June for censoring what bloggers write.

It seems odd to me that a lot of people seem to complain about , when the vast majority of us still use Windows... and *pay* Microsoft for it!!!!

BB

Peter